We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34
Results 826 to 831 of 831
  1. #826
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Kradan View Post
    I've been playing for years as Kaden, but I'm looking at changing servers, meaning I'm going to loose my name :-(

    I've got a History for my Character though, and I'd like to put some of that into my name....I don't got a clue what I'm doing, perhaps someone can help with translations? Some of my ideas..

    Wanderer from the Mists

    Mist Wanderer

    Old Man of the Mists

    Mist Walker

    Or even Lonely Wanderer....

    How could I come up with something that sound lore appropriate for a Male Captain?
    Wanderer from the Mists: Randir uin Hîth

    Mist Wanderer: Híthrandir

    Old Man of the Mists: Híthiorbenn, Híthiordir, Hithbrúmbenn, Hithbrúndir

    Mist Walker: Híthbadanir

    Lonely Wanderer: Erebrandir

  2. #827
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities
    Posts
    49
    Thanks Berephon! I'm partial to Hithrandir, but I'm afraid a Mod will see that as being to similar to Mithrandir and make me change it......otherwise I may go with Hithbrundir though not sure if I can get that type of u in the game....Would a Mod get at me for Hithrandir? ^_^ Appreciate the help!
    .
    Main: Kraden Kidtrell
    "The Past Is What Defines You, But The Future Is Yet To Be Written."

  3. #828
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Kradan View Post
    Thanks Berephon! I'm partial to Hithrandir, but I'm afraid a Mod will see that as being to similar to Mithrandir and make me change it......otherwise I may go with Hithbrundir though not sure if I can get that type of u in the game....Would a Mod get at me for Hithrandir? ^_^ Appreciate the help!
    Highly doubtful, unless another player reports it. At that point, who knows?

    As for Hithbrúndir, no you can't use diacritics in our naming engine, so just make it Hithbrundir.

  4. #829
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ered Luin
    Posts
    686
    Hey Berephon, I've decided to create some new alts on another server just for Roleplay purposes. Any chance you could translate some names in both Sindar and Rohirric?

    Such as: Hunter of Winters Forest
    Wanderer of the Frozen Woods
    Tracker of Winters Beasts (Beasts of Winter?)

    Well, you get the general theme. If there's any names you'd suggest with a theme of Winter/Cold/Frost/etc, I'd like to hear them!

    Thank you in advance.

    P.S. Does the name "Laranstor" have any meaning to it? Random name generator gave it to me, but hey you never know...
    Igluk ~ Warg
    Nadhuil ~ 85 Hunter
    Dollas ~ 85 Rune-Keeper

  5. #830
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by RLhunterman View Post
    Hey Berephon, I've decided to create some new alts on another server just for Roleplay purposes. Any chance you could translate some names in both Sindar and Rohirric?

    Such as: Hunter of Winters Forest
    Wanderer of the Frozen Woods
    Tracker of Winters Beasts (Beasts of Winter?)

    Well, you get the general theme. If there's any names you'd suggest with a theme of Winter/Cold/Frost/etc, I'd like to hear them!

    Thank you in advance.

    P.S. Does the name "Laranstor" have any meaning to it? Random name generator gave it to me, but hey you never know...
    These are going to end up huge in Sindarin. As for Rohirric, I could give you some translations, but they wouldn't really be applicable for people (people generally use Anglo-Saxon personal names, for which I don't have any translation source...just lists of Anglo-Saxon names.)

    For reference purpose, which generator did Laranstor come from (while the Elf generator sometimes yields somethign translatable, not always)? The rules are simply too complex, so our generator uses combinations of syllables intended to sound legit. To note, in Sindarin, Laranstor does not mean anything.

    The other generators definitely don't yield translatable names.


    Anyway, on to your translations:

    Hunter of Winter's Forest: (Sindarin) Rhîlâtfaron, Rhîlâtferedir, Rhîdorfaron, Rhîdorferedir, Rhîdawarfaron, Rhîdawarferedir, (Rohirric) Drafenwinterlikakett, Drafenwinterlikacholt, Drafenwinterlikakwudu, Drafenwinterlikakan...er, you can see the futility of that? There are numerous online lists of Anglo-Saxon names, however. I would suggest referencing those for Rohirrim.

    Wanderer of Frozen Woods (as there is no Sindarin for frozen, modifying to Woods of Ice): Helegerydhrandir, Heleglâdrandir, Gochelerydhrandir, Gochellâdrandir

    Tracker (Hunter) of Winter's Beasts: Rhîlavanfaron, Rhîlavanferedir

    As you can see, it's best to keep your meanings to two major words (Winter's Forest, Hunter of the Winter, etc)

  6. #831
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ered Luin
    Posts
    686
    Quote Originally Posted by Berephon View Post
    These are going to end up huge in Sindarin. As for Rohirric, I could give you some translations, but they wouldn't really be applicable for people (people generally use Anglo-Saxon personal names, for which I don't have any translation source...just lists of Anglo-Saxon names.)

    For reference purpose, which generator did Laranstor come from (while the Elf generator sometimes yields somethign translatable, not always)? The rules are simply too complex, so our generator uses combinations of syllables intended to sound legit. To note, in Sindarin, Laranstor does not mean anything.

    The other generators definitely don't yield translatable names.


    Anyway, on to your translations:

    Hunter of Winter's Forest: (Sindarin) Rhîlâtfaron, Rhîlâtferedir, Rhîdorfaron, Rhîdorferedir, Rhîdawarfaron, Rhîdawarferedir, (Rohirric) Drafenwinterlikakett, Drafenwinterlikacholt, Drafenwinterlikakwudu, Drafenwinterlikakan...er, you can see the futility of that? There are numerous online lists of Anglo-Saxon names, however. I would suggest referencing those for Rohirrim.

    Wanderer of Frozen Woods (as there is no Sindarin for frozen, modifying to Woods of Ice): Helegerydhrandir, Heleglâdrandir, Gochelerydhrandir, Gochellâdrandir

    Tracker (Hunter) of Winter's Beasts: Rhîlavanfaron, Rhîlavanferedir

    As you can see, it's best to keep your meanings to two major words (Winter's Forest, Hunter of the Winter, etc)
    Thanks for the response, and translations! I've always had a "Frost" theme on character surnames (Frosthelm, Frozenvoice, Frostbow, etc) and was hoping I might glean some translated names following the same theme. Perhaps you might even come up with some names based on the surnames I just gave you.

    As for Laranstor, I got it from the random name generator at character creation. He's an Elf of Lindon. I just used the RNG as I didn't plan on playing him much (he's a guardian, and I'm not a huge fan of playing tanks) but recently started playing him quite a bit since our kinship formed a "sub-kin" which utilizes the XP Disabler (thank you LOTRO!) to level our new alts and then cap them at the Shadows of Angmar cap. We're basically trying to have a kin which replicates SoA as closely as possible. (You'd be welcome to join us Berephon. )
    Igluk ~ Warg
    Nadhuil ~ 85 Hunter
    Dollas ~ 85 Rune-Keeper

 

 
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload