We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I've logged in to play in CA,TX,GA,DC,IL,MN,ID,OR,NV

Re: LotRO MIDI Player and MIDI to ABC converter

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
    The abc export feature is perfectly safe, but anything that controls the keyboard automatically could easily be put to nefarious uses.
    So playing Hot Cross Buns or 3 Blind Mice would trigger the appropriate gambits for my Warden?

That'd be awesome!
    2017: 6 levels and an instance! As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back because it wasn't BoA. He kept the pony.

I can't get this to work at all. I can't even get the program to open. When I try to open it from the website it acts like it's opening. The Java 6 logo appears on screen and then my computer gives me a message that it finished downloading but then NOTHING happens. I went to where it downloaded and tried to open it and all it will do is show the Java 6 logo for a min and then it disappears. What am I doing wrong?

NVM I got it to work but only after I downloaded Java 6.18 apparently I had Java 6.13. You should change the requirements claim on your app since plain Java 6.0 does NOT work.
    Last edited by Elfheart; Mar 13 2010 at 03:06 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000002846/01004/signature.png]Oleandra[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Elfheart View Post
    I can't get this to work at all. I can't even get the program to open. When I try to open it from the website it acts like it's opening. The Java 6 logo appears on screen and then my computer gives me a message that it finished downloading but then NOTHING happens. I went to where it downloaded and tried to open it and all it will do is show the Java 6 logo for a min and then it disappears. What am I doing wrong?

NVM I got it to work but only after I downloaded Java 6.18 apparently I had Java 6.13. You should change the requirements claim on your app since plain Java 6.0 does NOT work.
    I just tried running it using Java 6 update 13 and it worked for me. I'm not sure why it wasn't working for you before, but I'm glad you got it working now.
    Digero Guardian | Digrim Burglar | Defenders of the Mithril Halls Officer
    Maestro - Convert MIDI files to ABC
    ABC Player - Preview ABC files as they sound in LOTRO

Hi there,

I like to play songs in LOTRO using my MIDI keyboard. The thing is, I'm having trouble getting the Lotro Midi player to read my key bindings from the LOTRO program. Is there any way I can enter in my key binding settings manually?

Thanks!

Edit: Fixed by restarting the program, THEN grabbing the settings from LOTRO.
    Last edited by Tanamoril; Mar 23 2010 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanamoril View Post
    Hi there,

I like to play songs in LOTRO using my MIDI keyboard. The thing is, I'm having trouble getting the Lotro Midi player to read my key bindings from the LOTRO program. Is there any way I can enter in my key binding settings manually?

Thanks!

Edit: Fixed by restarting the program, THEN grabbing the settings from LOTRO.
    Just to answer your question: no, there's no way to enter the key bindings manually (aside from editing lotro's config file ). There's also no way to specify a file location other than the default of "My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\lotro.keymap". So far this doesn't seem to have caused any problems.

You should only need to use "Reload Key Mappings" if you changed them in LotRO after LotRO MIDI Player was started.

I have a question. What does LOTRO Midi Player recognize as being the correct note range for the flute? I ask because it is telling me I have notes out of range when I know I don't.

It does the same thing with Clarinet--but doesn't catch cough notes as out of range. *sigh*
    I tend to listen to the playback in it, adjust as needed, convert the midi to ABC, and then play the single part files in game. (Piping through the midi using it doesn't give an accurate result I've found).
    Still would love to have a little widget that scans your ABC file and warns you of coughs and breath sound notes.
    [COLOR=#800000]Various Hobbits, Thwilda the dwarf lass, and Gnersk, Stalker[/COLOR]

Well, that's not the problem I'm having.

My problem is that I am trying to make sure that every single note in the track is within the proper range and it tells me 0 notes out of range. Because any notes that it reads as out of range it will apparently transpose to another octave whether I want it to or not. This will make my abc sound wretched. (I know from experimentation.)

Right now I have 3 flute tracks I am trying to convert and it keeps reading them as having tons of notes out of range. It seems to think that Flute 2 has 178 notes out of range. Now, I have gone over this track in Anvil Studio meticulously and I know that there are no notes out of range.

So I am wondering what LOTRO midi player thinks the correct range for Flute is. It is obviously different from what I know the correct range to be.

I already figured out that for Drum, Lute and Harp LOTRO midi player read the bottom C and C# notes (C3 in Anvil for reference) as being out of range even though they play perfectly fine in game. But I cannot figure out what it thinks the flute range is.

/exasperated

Quote Originally Posted by Fionnuala View Post
    I have a question. What does LOTRO Midi Player recognize as being the correct note range for the flute? I ask because it is telling me I have notes out of range when I know I don't.
    The note range for the flute is the same as the lute: C2 to C5, inclusive. I was just looking through the code, and it looks like there's a bug where it counts the lowest playable note (C2 after the transpose is applied) as being out of range. This would affect the display of notes out of range and possibly cause it to recommend a "Best" transpose 1 higher than it should be. However, the exported ABC shouldn't be affected by this bug: that is, C2 will still play as C2 in the exported file.

If you wouldn't mind, could you email me the MIDI file that causes this problem? My email address is my forum name @gmail.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Siegfriedpf View Post
    It does the same thing with Clarinet--but doesn't catch cough notes as out of range. *sigh*
    I tend to listen to the playback in it, adjust as needed, convert the midi to ABC, and then play the single part files in game. (Piping through the midi using it doesn't give an accurate result I've found).
    Still would love to have a little widget that scans your ABC file and warns you of coughs and breath sound notes.
    If you export to ABC with Clarinet selected as the instrument, then you shouldn't get any breath sounds when you play on the Clarinet. It's always possible that there's a bug though.

Ok, I know what I was doing wrong. I'm used to working with midi2abc where I have to transpose Drum, Lute, and Harp up one octave for them to play properly. But LOTRO midi player didn't require me to do that. It told me they were within range as is (after I got rid of the lower C and C# notes). But apparently the flute still did need to be lowered an octave. I was able to make it work. Though I didn't have any Clarinet part in this midi. Does the Clarinet need to be transposed at all? In midi2abc it doesn't.

I am trying to run this app but I am having trouble.

I downloaded a file called LotRO_MIDI_Player.jnlp. I assume you open in a browser but I try Chrome and I try IE and both just want to download the file over again. How do I get the browser to launch it?

First, make sure you have the latest Java installed. That should configure your browser to open the JNLP file using Java.

If you have Java installed and it's still not working, open the JNLP file using javaws.exe:
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaws.exe
    (If you're using 64-bit Windows, it'll be under the Program Files (x86) folder instead)
    Last edited by Digero; Jul 12 2010 at 03:46 AM.

Since I haven't read all 8 pages of thread text I will ask this. Why does this program not recommend the lowest number of notes transposed? It seems to miss anywheres from 3 to 5 transposition half notes. It recommends a -15 and I scroll through and find a -13 thats lower. Also why doesn't it clear out the previous file name when opening a new file?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000012f910/signature.png]Saelminreth[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by popcorn3 View Post
    Since I haven't read all 8 pages of thread text I will ask this. Why does this program not recommend the lowest number of notes transposed? It seems to miss anywheres from 3 to 5 transposition half notes. It recommends a -15 and I scroll through and find a -13 thats lower. Also why doesn't it clear out the previous file name when opening a new file?
    When calculating the best transpose, it weights notes that are too high more heavily than notes that are too low. That means it may recommend a lower transpose than the one that has the fewest out of range notes. It was an attempt to preserve the melody at the expense of the bass, but it usually only comes into play when a song has tons of out of range notes, in which case the melody gets butchered anyways...

As for the filename, there's no particular reason that it doesn't clear it out between songs.

This is probably a really stupid question with an obvious answer, but... when playing, is that user-side only? Or can any player wandering by hear the same thing I hear?

Edit: Obviously, I am referring to songs played through this program, I'm aware normal abc's are heard by all.
    Last edited by Chrischris; Sep 28 2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: see above

Anyone walking by can hear you (assuming you have MIDI Preview Mode turned off in LotRO MIDI Player). If you see notes coming from your character, then people can hear it.

A little stumped by this one:

Have already used the midi player as the first stage in successfully converting a couple of files to .abc (added by Aranelion over on thefatlute.com, for the curious) which work fine. Have been tinkering with other tracks off and on throughout the day. And then... it... just... stopped... The player is still apparently PLAYING the files, or so I surmise from watching the progress bar proceed on its merry way. But there's no sound from it now, even from files that worked earlier in the day. Even after restarting the application... and my computer.

Wondering if I somehow futzed up my java settings in some way (without deliberately accessing them). Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashrellion View Post
    Wondering if I somehow futzed up my java settings in some way (without deliberately accessing them). Any suggestions?
    Did you, by any chance, mute the app through the Mixer? If you're using Win7, that is. Or the browser/Java itself, not sure where the sound goes through.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrischris View Post
    Did you, by any chance, mute the app through the Mixer? If you're using Win7, that is. Or the browser/Java itself, not sure where the sound goes through.
    Didn't change any settings anywhere, any more than I did when it spontaneously started working again. So I'm still stumped, and hesitant to test the issue blindly... but at least it's working.

Windows Media Player likes to muck with the computer's MIDI output volume on Windows XP if you use it to play MIDI files (including setting it to 0 when pausing). You might have to manually reset the MIDI output volume (aka SW Synth, or something similar) after using WMP to play MIDI files on Windows XP.

Windows Vista and 7 don't have a concept of system-wide MIDI volume, so this doesn't affect them. I've never heard of the problem you describe happening on Vista or 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Digero View Post
    Windows Media Player likes to muck with the computer's MIDI output volume on Windows XP if you use it to play MIDI files (including setting it to 0 when pausing). You might have to manually reset the MIDI output volume (aka SW Synth, or something similar) after using WMP to play MIDI files on Windows XP.

Windows Vista and 7 don't have a concept of system-wide MIDI volume, so this doesn't affect them. I've never heard of the problem you describe happening on Vista or 7.
    Yup, system is XP, that's probably close to the mark, since I had been going back and forth between LMP and WMP. Never occurred to me that the output method being different was the likely culprit, but is a bit obvious in retrospect. Something apparently caused it to reset on it's own, but at least I know where to look if it happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashrellion View Post
    Yup, system is XP, that's probably close to the mark, since I had been going back and forth between LMP and WMP. Never occurred to me that the output method being different was the likely culprit, but is a bit obvious in retrospect. Something apparently caused it to reset on it's own, but at least I know where to look if it happens again.
    Yup, it's pretty annoying. If I remember correctly (it's been a few years since I've used XP...), WMP will set the MIDI volume to 0 when you pause a MIDI song. But if you play a song to the end, or stop it in some other way than pausing, it will leave the MIDI volume up.

Excellent work, I'm impressed by it already.

I'm trying to use it for the first time today, and it is throwing this error:

InvalidArgumentException[ Invalid arguments supplied: {C:\\Users\\Steve\\Desktop\\Ne w folder (2)\\PERSHODILMB.mid, C:\Users\Steve\AppData\LocalLo w\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6. 0\47\104346ef-28c1543f }]
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp( Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueIn SecureThread(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unkn own Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I don't know why, and I'm no coder, but could it be the wrong version of Java? Could it be that the converter isn't up to date with Oracle's acquisition of Sun, and subsequent naming changes? I'm trying to arrange (very basically, to our instruments) some Christmas midis not present in the songbook as of yet. Anvil seems to work well, though it lacks lute and harp voices.

Windows 7, 64 bit AMD chipset.
    Last edited by Meneldan; Nov 30 2010 at 02:44 PM.
    ==*==*==*==+==*==*==*==
    Namarie, nai hiruvalye Menelessie
    ==*==*==*==+==*==*==*==

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldan View Post
    I'm trying to use it for the first time today, and it is throwing this error:

InvalidArgumentException[ Invalid arguments supplied: {C:\\Users\\Steve\\Desktop\\Ne w folder (2)\\PERSHODILMB.mid, C:\Users\Steve\AppData\LocalLo w\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6. 0\47\104346ef-28c1543f }]
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp( Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueIn SecureThread(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unkn own Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    How are you running it? It looks like a MIDI file was passed in as a command line argument (which would also happen if you right clicked on a MIDI file, chose Open With..., and selected LotRO MIDI Player). It doesn't support opening a MIDI file from the command line, you have to run the program first, then open a MIDI from within it.

Does it work if you just click the green "Run LotRO MIDI Player" button on http://code.google.com/p/lotromidiplayer/ ?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast