We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

LotRO MIDI Player and MIDI to ABC converter

I created a program with some MIDI-related features for LotRO.
    • Play MIDI songs in-game.
    • Export MIDI songs into ABC files to share with others, or make multi-part versions of the original song to play with a group of friends.
    • Connect an external MIDI piano as an alternative to using your computer keyboard.

Project Home Page | Run LotRO MIDI Player now

I recommend that you read through the info on the home page before using it for the first time.

Current version: 1.1.0.2 (June 8, 2008)
    See version history | Discuss latest version

LotRO MIDI Player is open source under the MIT License.
    View Source | Checkout instructions

The ABC export feature is still a work in progress. It's specifically designed to create ABC files that are usable by LotRO, and the files it generates shouldn't generate any errors in-game. Since the program has to quantize the note timing before converting to ABC, it can butcher rhythms in some songs.

The MIDI piano feature does essentially the same thing as MIDI2KEY (from what I can tell by reading the description of that program). However, no configuration files are needed -- LotRO MIDI player automatically reads your keyboard configuration from LotRO's settings file.

Use this thread for questions, comments, and any problems you have with the program.

Last edited by Digero; Dec 17 2009 at 06:21 AM.
    Digero Guardian | Digrim Burglar | Defenders of the Mithril Halls Officer
    Maestro - Convert MIDI files to ABC
    ABC Player - Preview ABC files as they sound in LOTRO

Re: LotRO MIDI Player and MIDI to ABC converter

Nice work!

Glad to see more people expanding on this system. I'm a musician myself, and love covering songs with my MIDI controller and exporting to ABC, but man - the errors I encounter are refunkindunkulous.

I can't wait to see the finished 'error free' exporter when it's done!
    [b][size=1][color=red]Magicka Nightshade[/color][color=black] - 50 Woman Captain, Sargeant of the Guard[/color]
    [color=lime]Preying Mantis[/color][color=black], Elendilmir[/color][/b][/size]
    **Retired, gone to WoW - Where there's more content than I could chew through in years**

Neat idea, but I'm curious if this could be viewed as an illegal bot. The abc export feature is perfectly safe, but anything that controls the keyboard automatically could easily be put to nefarious uses. Walk with care down that road.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=deepskyblue]Lle merna aut farien?[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=2][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=magenta][COLOR=yellow]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000005532/01008/signature.png]Northwoods[/charsig][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=2][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=magenta][COLOR=yellow]
    Playing music in LotRO is as easy as [URL="http://abcnotation.org.uk/"]ABC![/URL][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]

I haven't run it yet, but this looks great. I'd like to include links to it in the next version of LOMM (http://code.google.com/p/lomm/). The keyboard feature was on the board for LOMM 3.0, so I'm glad not to have to do it.

Any chance you can expose the source code? I don't want to go through the hassle of reversing the bytecode.

As for the botting question, macroing keyboards insert key strokes into the keyboard input chain in response to user feedback and are explicitly allowed to do so, even allowed to insert multiple actions (in the LOTRO FAQs). This is the defense for MIDI2KEY. LOMM and this program do exactly the same thing.
    Xowl/Carborunda Riverside: Breakfast Connoisseur, Slug-Squasher, and floppy-hatted Minstrel of Brandywine
    [URL="http://code.google.com/p/lomm/"]LOMM[/URL]: Create macros that say things and/or perform commands; Manage and edit ABC files
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000003f414/signature.png]Carborunda[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by xxbalialxx View Post
    I can't wait to see the finished 'error free' exporter when it's done!
    Labeling the ABC exporter as a "work in progress" may not have been exactly correct. The way it works right now isn't perfect, but I don't see any way to make it better without making it significantly more complicated, or making it only work for certain MIDI files.

In order to convert a song to ABC, I need to quantize the note timings. The shortest note length allowed by LotRO is ~1/16th of a second, so that's the finest timing grid that I can use. In other words, each note must start on some exact multiple of 1/16th of a second (or whatever timing grid I use). The program checks a few possible timing grids between 1/8th and 1/16th of a second, to find the best one.

One of the biggest problems is with MIDI files that change tempo partway through the song, since I'm locked to a single timing grid for the entire song. Unless someone suggests a better method, this is as good as it gets for now .

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
    Neat idea, but I'm curious if this could be viewed as an illegal bot. The abc export feature is perfectly safe, but anything that controls the keyboard automatically could easily be put to nefarious uses. Walk with care down that road.
    There are many easier ways to macro than creating a special MIDI file and using my program. It does not interface with LotRO beyond sending keypresses to the game, and there are any number of freely available macro programs that can do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by xowl View Post
    Any chance you can expose the source code? I don't want to go through the hassle of reversing the bytecode.
    Yeah, I'll probably release the source code eventually.

Has anyone used this? Any feedback at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
    The abc export feature is perfectly safe, but anything that controls the keyboard automatically could easily be put to nefarious uses.
    So playing Hot Cross Buns or 3 Blind Mice would trigger the appropriate gambits for my Warden?

That'd be awesome!
    As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back. He kept the pony.

I can't get this to work at all. I can't even get the program to open. When I try to open it from the website it acts like it's opening. The Java 6 logo appears on screen and then my computer gives me a message that it finished downloading but then NOTHING happens. I went to where it downloaded and tried to open it and all it will do is show the Java 6 logo for a min and then it disappears. What am I doing wrong?

NVM I got it to work but only after I downloaded Java 6.18 apparently I had Java 6.13. You should change the requirements claim on your app since plain Java 6.0 does NOT work.
    Last edited by Elfheart; Mar 13 2010 at 03:06 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000002846/01004/signature.png]Oleandra[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Elfheart View Post
    I can't get this to work at all. I can't even get the program to open. When I try to open it from the website it acts like it's opening. The Java 6 logo appears on screen and then my computer gives me a message that it finished downloading but then NOTHING happens. I went to where it downloaded and tried to open it and all it will do is show the Java 6 logo for a min and then it disappears. What am I doing wrong?

NVM I got it to work but only after I downloaded Java 6.18 apparently I had Java 6.13. You should change the requirements claim on your app since plain Java 6.0 does NOT work.
    I just tried running it using Java 6 update 13 and it worked for me. I'm not sure why it wasn't working for you before, but I'm glad you got it working now.

Fantastic! Someone is considerably less lazy than I appear to be. ;-) Great work on this Digero, I think you accomplished a lot of what I had on my wishlist.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000000042cb/01006/signature.png]Nolaquen[/charsig]

Can this program convert a MIDI file I have into an ABC file so I can play it on LOTRO?
    Taelia.

Quote Originally Posted by TaliLevi View Post
    Can this program convert a MIDI file I have into an ABC file so I can play it on LOTRO?
    Yes.

/10chars

Hey! This program looks great - I have a Yamaha Arius (a MIDI Keyboard). Once I buy the wires (hopefully tomorrow), will I infact be able to hook my Arius up to my computer, and play LIVE over the game? i.e., I sit there watching my minstrel playing a lute, and when I play notes on my Yamaha, he plays the same notes on the lute? Is that possible with this program?

Quote Originally Posted by SoundsofSilence View Post
    Hey! This program looks great - I have a Yamaha Arius (a MIDI Keyboard). Once I buy the wires (hopefully tomorrow), will I infact be able to hook my Arius up to my computer, and play LIVE over the game? i.e., I sit there watching my minstrel playing a lute, and when I play notes on my Yamaha, he plays the same notes on the lute? Is that possible with this program?
    Yes it is. Connect your piano, then start lotro midi player, click File > Connect MIDI Piano, select your piano, and click the Play button to start sending notes from your piano to the game.

First, please forgive me for being a dumbass..

Secondly, please forgive me for not doing a complete and thorough search through this thread or any of other others on the topic, but... (there's friggin' thousands out there, you know!)... in my defence, I did do a search for 'keymap' on this forum topic..

Anyway, thirdly, I have used the Lotro MiditoABC converter, and it's great! No great issues (certainly, none that weren't there from the midi, at any rate... <sigh>)

But... (here comes the dumbass). As has been mentioned previously, the default settings for keymaps are pretty scant... about a third of all possibles. Now, I'm not musical, so I just see a bunch of letters and symbols - and just nod and smile.

I'm presuming when an ABC file is created, it uses all of the possible keys - and thus, when they aren't mapped fully, I'm missing out on a stack of sound (which would explain some of the song results I've had).

So.... is there a text file or something that I can copy and paste into an ini, or some such similar?? Or at least something that makes more sense to me than C#2^ sort of thing..???

Thanks

If you're exporting to ABC files and using /play song.abc to play them in-game, then you don't need to worry about key mapping.

If you're playing the song directly from LotRO MIDI Player (using the green play button), then you'll need to make sure every note has a key mapped to it in the game (Options > Key Mapping > Music). It doesn't matter so much what the key is, just that every note has a key assigned to it. If you change your key settings while LotRO MIDI Player is running, you'll need to reload the Key Mappings (from the Edit menu). But again, this is ONLY if you're playing the MIDI file directly, rather than exporting it to ABC and playing the ABC.

So, is this the general method for taking a given MIDI and using this tool to "split it into parts" ?:

1) Load up your MIDI into Lotro Midi Player.
    2) Choose which instrument you want to build for.
    3) Deselect all but a few tracks, leaving just ones you want to use for this instrument / "part" only.
    4) Optimize (adjust transposition / maximize playable notes).
    5) Export to ABC.
    6) Repeat steps 1-5 for your next instrument.

If so, then:

a) How many tracks should one choose "per instrument"? I assume the more you choose, the more likely you are to somehow "overload" your instrument in LOTRO (get "too many requests" messages)??

b) I'm assuming it would be okay for one to use the same track for multiple instruments, but it probably maximizes your harmony to NOT do so?

c) Also, are there certain "best practices" for matching up tracks with specific Lotro instruments? For instance, I would think any track with a lot of high notes should go to "flute"? It would seem that I probably can't trust whatever instrument name actually shows up in the Lotro Midi Player, right? (If it says "Flute" there, it may not sound good as a lotro flute.)

Love the tool!

Thanks!
    Last edited by DangerDave; Jul 02 2009 at 08:28 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000010d92f/01001/signature.png]Gronar[/charsig]
    So there I was, on top of a mountain, in Ost Forod....what had to be some 600 miles away from where I had been a moment ago.... seeing "double" of everything...and not wearing any pants!

I just started playing around with the music in Lotro and found your program and I was wondering if you are going to add the Cow bell to the list of Instruments.

Zefy

Quote Originally Posted by Zefy View Post
    I just started playing around with the music in Lotro and found your program and I was wondering if you are going to add the Cow bell to the list of Instruments.

Zefy
    You can always play an .abc exported from this program with any instrument. Since the cowbell only has one note, it'll probably sound best if you use it with a simple drum part.

Thank you very much for this software. It's awesome!

One question: what causes LotRO-MP to choke on some MIDI's that other programs (such as WMP) can play? For some files I get "Invalid MIDI file" and/or "could not get sequence from file" upon opening them. Is there anything I might try doing to them in a MIDI editor such that LotRO-MP will recognize them?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000173b0a/signature.png]Cruniac[/charsig]
    [i]Alts[/i]: Eszti (8) <BRG> * Liaria (10) <MINS> * Elymas (20) <LRM>
    [i]This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths,
    and teach your children to watch the waves for its return. [/i] -- Quellcrist Falconer

Quote Originally Posted by Alethos View Post
    Thank you very much for this software. It's awesome!

One question: what causes LotRO-MP to choke on some MIDI's that other programs (such as WMP) can play? For some files I get "Invalid MIDI file" and/or "could not get sequence from file" upon opening them. Is there anything I might try doing to them in a MIDI editor such that LotRO-MP will recognize them?
    LotRO MIDI Player uses Java's MIDI API to read the files. When you get those errors, that means the file has some features or structure that the Java MIDI API can't handle. Unfortunately I don't have any more details than what's in the error message.

It's possible that opening and re-saving the file in a MIDI editor will restructure the file in such a way as to not confuse the Java MIDI API. If possible, save the file in MIDI format 1 (as opposed to 0 or 2).

Hi again Digero..

My system went down with a virus, and I lost stuff (including LOTRO...grrr - don't we love 10G downloads??)

Anyway, before that happened, I was playing and had a few good times... Layla for example, and Rodrigo's Adagio from Concerto de Aranjuez

But... one problem I found was in the midi's themselves.

So, I shall ask a question (without doing a forum search for... ?what terms??), and ask you directly - do you have a preferred or suggested mp3-> midi converter that you use? I tried a couple of the more... well, advertised ones.. and for what I was doing... ****!! (granted, they were free!) (FTR - demo of Intelliscore, 7canaries, Audio Editor Pro, etc)

I basically used Blind Guardian's Bard's Tale as my test mp3, as it's a simple basic 2 guitar tune (in the beginning), and they all dropped notes and made a dog's breakfast of it!

Thanks!

Hi there,

I like to play songs in LOTRO using my MIDI keyboard. The thing is, I'm having trouble getting the Lotro Midi player to read my key bindings from the LOTRO program. Is there any way I can enter in my key binding settings manually?

Thanks!

Edit: Fixed by restarting the program, THEN grabbing the settings from LOTRO.
    Last edited by Tanamoril; Mar 23 2010 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanamoril View Post
    Hi there,

I like to play songs in LOTRO using my MIDI keyboard. The thing is, I'm having trouble getting the Lotro Midi player to read my key bindings from the LOTRO program. Is there any way I can enter in my key binding settings manually?

Thanks!

Edit: Fixed by restarting the program, THEN grabbing the settings from LOTRO.
    Just to answer your question: no, there's no way to enter the key bindings manually (aside from editing lotro's config file ). There's also no way to specify a file location other than the default of "My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\lotro.keymap". So far this doesn't seem to have caused any problems.

You should only need to use "Reload Key Mappings" if you changed them in LotRO after LotRO MIDI Player was started.

I have a question. What does LOTRO Midi Player recognize as being the correct note range for the flute? I ask because it is telling me I have notes out of range when I know I don't.
    [URL="https://sarahmccabemythopoet.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#b22222]Falling Toward Mythopoesis[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] My personal blog.

[URL="https://lotromusic.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#008080]LOTRO Music[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] ABCs, guides and resources for the compleat LOTRO musician.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast