We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stuck at the Loading Screen

I am able to log into the game, choose the toon i want to load and the screen just stays at loading. The server I am trying elendemir.

What can i do? Are the servers down?

Re: Stuck at the Loading Screen

The servers are up and all so maybe its a firewall/router issue, do you have a firewall? If so can you make sure that it has exceptions for LOTRO?

No fire, no security at all. i was playing fine last night, nothing changed. I left the computer alone while it was on the loading screen and I got a message saying connectiion to to the server was lost.

Any ideas?

Is it all characters or just one? Try power cycling your modem and/or router.
    [COLOR=Sienna][B]How to contact Support[/B][/COLOR] - Browse to [URL]http://support.turbine.com[/URL] - Click on the LOTRO Image - Select a department
    Support available Mon-Fri 12pm-9pm EST

[URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=18699"] How to get help on the Technical Support forums[/URL]

Yeah did the power cycling and it worked, back in game and loving this game. How can i get a referal so I can get the lifetime account?

Windfre@gmail.com if anyone wants to mail.

james

I am also experiencing a similar problem. Sometimes when zoning or logging in, the game'd just sit at the loading screen without the loading bar even starting to fill, and eventually give a "The connection to the server has been lost!" error and quit. I can get to the character selection screen just fine, and when it DOES decide to load the zone, it's usually lightning fast [<5-6 seconds]. This behavior seems completely random, sometimes I can zone in/out multiple times without any problems, sometimes it doesn't even allow me to log in 4-5 times in a row.

Other times, I'd freeze while playing (this occurs at least once an hour, sometimes within 30 seconds of successfully logging in); I wouldn't be able to move and my loremaster pet would stand still in a spot behind me, but could still move the camera, change options, review the journal, etc [haven't tried chatting] and I'd still see things happening around me, though sometimes at a wonky pace (rubberbanding). All this time the network tool in the lower right corner reports 130-150ish ping with 0 packet loss. Again, after a few minutes it'd eventually disconnect me with "The connection to the server has been lost!" and I'd have to launch the game again.

I do have a router [tried resetting it, didn't help], the ports mentioned in the FAQ are open and my IP is inside the router's DMZ anyway. I have no connectivity problems accessing the internet or other applications / games (TF2, WOW, ventrilo...) and I definitely don't suffer from constant disconnects in the other apps.

Using the TestGLS tool, it looks like I have a stable 140 ping, 0 packet loss, reach every server in 16 hops [which is understandable I guess, I play from Hungary after all] and 'receive expected response' to every query. I can post / mail the report, if needed. Also, this problem is strictly in-game related; I was able to download the entire book11 client and patch it up without problems, and I never got any errors in the launcher / during the log-in process either.

Any idea what might be causing this? I'm at a loss here, and it's kind of aggravating, I haven't had problems like this with any other game (and I've been MMOGing for a long time ).

Thanks in advance,

-- Z.

You can try starting up under a clean boot via msconfig to see if that allows you to play the game.

To do this please take the following steps:

1. Click on start then go to "run"
    2. Type in msconfig and hit enter
    3. Go to the start up tab
    4. Disable all the tasks in that window (except systray if it is present, under xp though, it should not)
    5. Restart and try playing the game.
    6. If it works go back to msconfig and turn one of the start up tasks on ...
    7. Try playing again - repeat this process with each task until you find the one that is causing the game to stop connecting.

Thanks for the advice,

I tried a clean boot just now, but 5-6 minutes after getting in-game, my character froze again as usual (standing in one place not responding to commands, while I could see the mobs in the area move around; I was also able to chat at that point) and I got the disconnect message a few minutes later. I checked the 'connection status' icon throughout this, and it stayed at 140ish latency with 0% packet loss.

It looks like two separate problems (random disconnects and not being able to get past the loading screen), might they be related? I never had any problems inside instances (did the introductory and Archet instances so far), nor did I have any connectivity problems with the launcher or the character screen, but that might be just luck; also, sometimes it takes 6-7 tries to be able to play after a disconnect [esp. if I alt-f4 instead of waiting ~5 minutes for the client to time out].

Thanks in advance for any insight,

-- Z.
    Last edited by Zetor_42; Feb 15 2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: clarification

As an addendum, I've managed to narrow this problem down to two instances:

1] zoning (either to/from an indoors area, or going from outdoor zone to outdoor zone ie. combe -> chetwood)
    2] logging in after a failed zoning attempt (takes anywhere from 1 to 5 tries, I have better luck if I let the client time out normally). In this case if I see the old zone on the login screen, the login is probably going to be unsuccessful; if I see the new zone, it's probably going to be successful.

I still freeze randomly, but it seems a LOT more common when I cross a zoneline.

-- Z.
    Last edited by Zetor_42; Feb 17 2008 at 07:30 PM.

It sounds like you are having a general connection issue. All the symptoms you describe can be caused by a connection problem. My first guess would be there is something running in the background still causing an issue. You may want to try disabling your virus scanner or any active mail scanner and see if there is any effect.
    [COLOR=Sienna][B]How to contact Support[/B][/COLOR] - Browse to [URL]http://support.turbine.com[/URL] - Click on the LOTRO Image - Select a department

[URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=18699"] How to get help on the Technical Support forums[/URL]

I don't have a virus scanner running [I run checks with AVG periodically, but I don't have it loaded all the time], nor do I have the windows firewall active. I've tried clean-booting earlier, didn't help. :/

I actually tried redownloading and reinstalling the client from scratch yesterday, choosing the lower-detailed textures this time... didn't help.

I also don't have any problems with other net apps / games (WOW, TF2, Ventrilo all work fine), in fact, this is the first time I've ever experienced a network-related problem with any game. :P According to the in-game connection monitor, I have 0.0% packetloss... the only thing I can think of is my ISP doing naughty things to certain UDP packets (bittorrent and similar apps work without any problems though) or the client not reconnecting properly to the world servers.

Further 'testing' made it clear that the freezes / login problems only occur on certain zone lines, which I suspect to be server boundaries: Bree-Bree Fields, Old Forest-Bree Fields, etc. Typically as soon as the yellow zone text pops up in my screen, I freeze.
    Zoning to/from the Prancing Pony from inside Bree doesn't cause a freeze, but zoning to/from the training hall in Combe does, every time. I can reproduce these situations and they'll have the same result no matter what. OTOH, I have no other network-related problems in game: no random disconnects, mild rubberbanding sometimes (happens in other games too, and expected due to my physical location), and my 140ish latency / 0% packet loss is stable. If I stay in one zone, I can stay connected for as long as I want, and if I experience lag, it's typically server-side [as confirmed by kinship members] and only lasts for a few seconds.

Here's a typical run-down of a disconnect/freeze:
    - I pass a zoneline either by walking across it or using my map (or entering an instance via NPC dialogue)
    - if I used the map / instance I get the 'blank' loading screen until it times out, otherwise my character freezes a few seconds after crossing the zoneline
    - I either alt-f4 the client or wait for the "connection has been lost" message (the latter option is usually more successful, but it takes several minutes for everything to time out)
    - if I choose to wait, I can talk in chat and check inventory etc., but I'm unable to interact with the game in any other way (this leads me to believe that I never lose connection with the chat server/s, only the world server/s)
    - I try to reconnect, no problems in the launcher; sometimes I get the "20/20 login server attempts" error, but most of the time I get to the character select screen without problems
    - if my character still has the old location listed on the character select screen, the login will probably fail (empty loading bar problem followed by timeout)
    - if my character has the new location listed on the character select screen, the login will work without problems and I can carry on.

What this means is basically, whenever I zone across server boundaries, I have to spend 5-10 minutes trying to log back on, and repeat if there are multiple zone transitions (going from Bree to the Old Forest for example). This is really, really annoying, and very deadly in monster play (the first day I tried PvMP, I froze while my group was chasing some freeps) and normal play (I've taken about 3-4 deaths because some mob aggro'd onto me while I was standing on the zoneline in limbo) alike.

TIA for any insight,

-- Z.
    Last edited by Zetor_42; Feb 19 2008 at 02:25 PM.

The description you give could be a port issue of some kind. What kind of network setup are you running? (router, VOIP adapter, etc.) You could try changing "UserSpecifiedPort" in your UserPreferences.ini file located inside your LOTRO folder inside My Documents to UserSpecifiedPort=9000

I have a Gigabyte GN-BR01G router (several other PCs are connected either via cable or wireless -- my PC is connected via cable), and my PC is in the DMZ. I've also set up specific port forwarding according to this page.

I tried changing the .ini file setting, but it didn't help, sadly. I'm beginning to think it might be those specific "server-switch" packets getting eaten on the way, possibly due to ISP packet shaping [which is weird, since I haven't had any problems with other UDP-based software].

Thanks for the help,

-- Z.

A lot of the crack down on UDP traffic is aimed specifically at encrypted packets only. It's odd that you would have an issue only when crossing a zone line though. It would be interesting to see if you have the same issue if you were able to take the router out of the equation. I realize that this is sometimes impossible, even for testing purposes, but it would be a great troubleshooting step.

Thumbs up Re: Stuck at the Loading Screen

Indeed -- I was saving the 'bypass the router' option for last... but I just tried connecting the cable straight to the DSL modem and it worked! I went through plenty of zone-lines without getting frozen/DC'd once.

Sadly, the router is necessary for everyone else to access the internet, but it's a good start... now the question is, what exactly might be causing the router to discard the packets? I've noticed heavy HD activity when zoning, maybe the sheer number of incoming UDP packets looks like a DOS attempt? I did disable the 'DOS protection' option earlier, but it didn't help. I am also using the latest firmware [1.38E]

Thanks for the help! Even if my router keeps being stubborn there's still a known [if unwieldy] way to bypass this problem. Now to find out what's wrong with it... I really don't want to buy another, this one is just a few months old. :P

-- Z.
    Last edited by Zetor_42; Feb 20 2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: clarifications

We've had a couple people have success recently by setting priority levels in their router. Generally, our game uses UDP packets on these ports:
    • Port 80
    • Ports 9000-9010UDP
    • Ports 2900-2910UDP
    It's possible that you may have to set these ports to forward to your IP address in your router. If you are unfamiliar with how to do so, there is a great web site that has instructions for almost all router models:

http://www.portforward.com/

As I said though, you may also have some priority settings in your router that are causing issues. You may want to give the router manufacturer's tech support a chance and see if they have an answer as well.

I already have port-forwarding set up according to that site (80tcp, 9000-9010udp, 2900-2910udp); I've tried both putting my PC inside and outside the DMZ, no difference.
    The only 'firewall settings' on the router are, according to the manual:
    - response ping from WAN -- lets outside computers ping the computers connected to the LAN, I tried both 'enable' and 'disable' for this
    - allow remote management -- I enabled this too, no change
    - allow NetBIOS passthrough -- I tried both settings, but I don't think LOTRO uses the netbios protocol or the netbios ports
    - enable DOS protection -- I turned this off, but it didn't help, sadly (I thought it would, I read in another thread someone mentioning that their router 'panicked' when getting bombarded with UDP packets and just discarded all of them)

Gigabyte tech support might be harder to track down, being a Taiwanese company and all; but I'll give it a shot when I'm out of options.

Thanks again,

-- Z.

just wanted to chime in and say i am having the exact same problem. only occurs at certian zone lines, etc, etc...

im curious if you ever got the game to work while using your router, zetor. i would like to aviod having to take down my wireless network just to play the game. =)

'Ey,

Nope, no solution. :/ Gigabyte support is unhelpful, and none of the router settings seem to help. So now I'm stuck with predictable disconnects / desyncs whenever crossing certain zonelines (funny thing is, there ARE definite zonelines which don't disconnect me -- I can map back to trestlebridge without getting DCd, but mapping back to bree in front of the prancing pony is a guaranteed DC).

After observing the anomaly a bit longer, it looks like it takes ~4-5 minutes to be able to log back in after a zoneline disconnect too (otherwise I either get stuck on the loading screen or get "failed to connect to the login server"), this makes me believe the router is simply perceiving the burst of packets as an attack, and blacklists the server IP for a while.

On the bright side, I'm probably more aware of where zonelines are than most other players, and optimizing questing to minimize the number of zone crossings I must do is a somewhat-amusing minigame.

Seriously though, if it wasn't for my guild/kinship (we've been playing together since the UO days) I wouldn't be playing... and I definitely don't bother with monster play anymore, getting DCd on a zoneline while PVPing got old very fast.

take care,

-- Z.

sorry for the delayed 'thank you' after the timely reply. i still havent gotten anything to work on my end. if i get a solution before my trial runs out ill post it to this thread. good luck to you, too!

Bumping this to see if there was ever a resolution.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000008482c/01005/signature.png]Grimst[/charsig]

This is not the same issue you stated you are experiencing, please stick to one thread.
    [COLOR=Sienna][B]How to contact Support[/B][/COLOR] - Browse to [URL="http://support.turbine.com/"]http://support.turbine.com[/URL] - Click on the LOTRO Image - Select a department

Oh, i was bumping it for a friend, who originally posted in it, just wanted to see if there was any resolution. My issue is different and less severe. Sorry.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000008482c/01005/signature.png]Grimst[/charsig]

Having exact same problem (and it has happened to me once before while in the Shire - I'll never go there again). I've done everything suggested here - no luck. Was this issue ever resolved? Any other suggestions?

Done everything here really doesnt help us help you, please start a new thread with your details (read the "How to get help" sticky thread) and post the exact manifestation of the problem for you.
    [COLOR=Sienna][B]How to contact Support[/B][/COLOR] - Browse to [URL="http://support.turbine.com/"]http://support.turbine.com[/URL] - Click on the LOTRO Image - Select a department

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast