We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Over the next few weeks we will be focusing on the classes in our Tell the Community Team threads. In keeping with that theme, we want your help. If you could give one tip to a new player about playing a Defiler, what would it be?

Re: Feedback: New Player Tips for Defilers

Fear, Curse of the cowards soul, is your best friend. It keeps freeps from hurting you, which allows you to get induction heals and damage skills off without interrupts. Allows you to stop their inductions, both damage and heals. Can pop freeps out of stealth. It is affected by Diminishing Returns but if you do not spam it should stick for full time each time.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a010000151e70/signature.png]Gakarat[/charsig]

Earning 0 Infamy for Heals and Rezes! =0)

Buy at least unstun potions (odorous) as soon as you can. You are likely going to need them if you are fighting any cc freep classes. Also try to get a group whenever possible. It is much easier to rank with even one other creep and if there are enough freeps, a raid is even better .

Team up... as a healer you should be able to find somebody who wants you around.

At low ranks, don't get too frustrated if your heals don't seem to help much. Since they are mainly heal over time effects, get in the habit of healing pre-emptively, rather than waiting for someone's morale to get low.

Get your rez (Fell Sacrifice)... you will be expected to have it even as a newbie.

Curse of the Lethargic Heart can be a good way to contribute to the offense, since it will reduce a freep's vitality (lowering max hp). If you time it right, like when one of your buddies is going in for a kill, it can be way more effective than just throwing a gourd.

Common mitigation boost corruption might be worth slotting if you take a lot of heat from NPC aggro due to healing.
    Not all those who wander are lost. They might be working on one of their exploration deeds.
    The new forums stink on ice. Let others follow them who can.

Don't heal near EC (or other NPC infested areas) early on, as you do not have any threat reduction at low levels.

I will reiterate the message to team up early on. A defiler really comes into his/her own at about rank 5 and becomes a tank at 6. Outside of a regular tribe group, the best way to find a group is heal and rez people around you. When someone sends you a thank you tell, ask if they would mind you joining them.
    Kymli Dwarf Mini ~ MamaCass Defiler

Only rank 3 or 4 at the moment but when grouping, don't stand at the back of the group as you are then in plain sight and open to ambushes. The freeps will usually target the healer. I find I am ignored more often if I stand in the middle of the group as I am mistaken for a dps class or there are so many creeps about me that the freeps cant see me.

I find that not many ggroups will take on a defiller, as they want dps, ect. Follow those groups and heal them when they need it, they will soon see how foolish they have been and invite you in for a share of the infamy.

Patience. Very important. I find defiller to be slow at ranking and was relatively weak at the first ranks (getting better now). Good to hear that defillers become better at r5+ Danaca! I finally know where I need to be
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000000eabcc/01003/signature.png]Lindolon[/charsig]

Don't heal or rez anyone who won't let you group with them.
    Grishaknak Foulmouth, High Chieftain
    Inquisition

Quote Originally Posted by NesterLei View Post
    Don't heal or rez anyone who won't let you group with them.
    ^^ this

and corpse jump the dead creeps.