We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 104
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    724

    Re: A Captain's Standard

    lol i'd forgotten about that quest... it's been so long. By far the strangest class quest i've ever done.

    the jumping part, i recommend you use a horse. That's what I did. Also has the benefit of transporting your herald with you.

    Still a dumb quest.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,363

    Re: A Captain's Standard

    rise from the grave!


    if you hold the B button, youll sprint. then, when you hit A, youll jump farther.

    really helps in world 8.

  3. #78

    Re: A Captain's Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by SapienChavez View Post
    rise from the grave!


    if you hold the B button, youll sprint. then, when you hit A, youll jump farther.

    really helps in world 8.
    *snerk* Took me a second to get that one...

    Just think of this as training to get your Ridge Runner deed finished. Now *that* has an annoying 1st jump.
    [CENTER]

    [/CENTER]

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,599

    Re: A Captain's Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by Lupini View Post
    *snerk* Took me a second to get that one...

    Just think of this as training to get your Ridge Runner deed finished. Now *that* has an annoying 1st jump.
    Actually Peach, that's one of my favorite spots to go work on Lua Scripts (well, at least it was when I had the free time to work on Lua Scripts).
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

    Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sarasota, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,206

    Re: A Captain's Standard

    You should be able to make the jump by standing close to the edge. Using a run-speed boost or a mount would make it easier though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lupini View Post
    *snerk* Took me a second to get that one...
    BTW, that's still good advice for Nintendo side-scrollers. I had to show my wife that you're never going to keep up or be able to make jumps if you're not holding down 'B' basically at all times.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lupini View Post
    Just think of this as training to get your Ridge Runner deed finished. Now *that* has an annoying 1st jump.
    That is a nasty jump. Far tougher than the jump for 'A Captain's Standard'.
    [CENTER][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]<< Co-founder of [I][U][SIZE="4"]The Firebrands of Caruja[/SIZE][/U][/I] on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,363

    Re: A Captain's Standard

    Quote Originally Posted by auximenes View Post
    BTW, that's still good advice for Nintendo side-scrollers. I had to show my wife that you're never going to keep up or be able to make jumps if you're not holding down 'B' basically at all times.
    i broke out the NES and showed my nephew Super Mario Bros... i was trying to explain this to him with his little hands and 5yr old coordination.



    no Altered Beast fans? i use that line on every necro thread


    Rise from the grave!
    Last edited by SapienChavez; Jun 12 2012 at 05:08 PM.

  7. #82

    July 24, 2012

    Did this quest today and it is still the same stupid quest that it was 4 years ago.

    Here is a link to a walkthrough and map:
    http://www.thebrasse.com/lotro/quest/658

    Also as mentioned earlier in posts, unsummon your herald or prepare to be shown was again how SUCKY the AI for pets/heralds/skirm soldiers are for this entire game.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sarasota, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,206
    Quote Originally Posted by SapienChavez View Post
    no Altered Beast fans? i use that line on every necro thread
    I played that a bit in the arcade back in the day. Pretty good for it's time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Landrover2 View Post
    Also as mentioned earlier in posts, unsummon your herald or prepare to be shown was again how SUCKY the AI for pets/heralds/skirm soldiers are for this entire game.
    Seeing as they can't jump, I'm not sure what you would expect out of the pets/heralds/skirm soldiers in a situation like this.
    [CENTER][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]<< Co-founder of [I][U][SIZE="4"]The Firebrands of Caruja[/SIZE][/U][/I] on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

  9. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by SapienChavez View Post
    i broke out the NES and showed my nephew Super Mario Bros... i was trying to explain this to him with his little hands and 5yr old coordination.


    The trick to jumping in mario is to jerk your game pad in the direction of the jump your trying to make. It provides momentum to mario due to the hidden NES game pad sensors, plus it looks pro while your doing it.

    If you really wanna go pro let out a "eehh" when you jerk your game pad. It will ensure that mario doesn't slide off the ledge at the end of the jump. It's like a voice activated brake system for mario.

    "Red warrior needs food badly" "Chaves shot da fooood"
    Last edited by Armitas; Jul 25 2012 at 04:11 PM.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sarasota, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Armitas View Post
    "Red warrior needs food badly" "Chaves shot da fooood"
    In my experience, it was normally the Elf who shot the food, especially if Reflecting Shot was in play.
    [CENTER][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]<< Co-founder of [I][U][SIZE="4"]The Firebrands of Caruja[/SIZE][/U][/I] on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

  11. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by auximenes View Post
    In my experience, it was normally the Elf who shot the food, especially if Reflecting Shot was in play.
    Did you ever play Gauntlet 2? My brother and I played it to board 750. We left the game on for days and days hoping that we were just around the corner to beating it. I finally called nintendo power and they told me it was never ending.

    ....I wonder what would happen after board 999....

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    at the keyboard
    Posts
    1,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Armitas View Post
    The trick to jumping in mario is to jerk your game pad in the direction of the jump your trying to make. It provides momentum to mario due to the hidden NES game pad sensors, plus it looks pro while your doing it.
    lmao I thought I was the only one who did that...

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,363
    well-played, boys! very well done!



    leaning helps in driving games too!



    when doin a Captains Standard, you should POP out of you chair as you jump! if you office chair is worn out enough it should spring up with you.

    physics!

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Province of America's France
    Posts
    4,027
    This thread still awesome Keep up the good work
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    808
    Add me to the unfortunate mass who have to deal with this ridiculous quest. I spent an hour killing all the mobs looking for a path, a flight of stairs, something, anything, to reach two of the standards. Exactly HOW does this teach us about our captains? All it taught me is to be even more careful about paying Turbine. A class quest is supposed to teach you about your class. ALL characters can jump. So how does testing your jumping skill across a gap constitute a class quest? And the most unforgiveable part of this is that people YEARS ago had complained about this and nothing was done. But guess what, if this quest unintentionally give players a bunch of extra gold or snazzy items you can bet it would have been fixed in a hurry.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDena View Post
    Add me to the unfortunate mass who have to deal with this ridiculous quest. I spent an hour killing all the mobs looking for a path, a flight of stairs, something, anything, to reach two of the standards. Exactly HOW does this teach us about our captains? All it taught me is to be even more careful about paying Turbine. A class quest is supposed to teach you about your class. ALL characters can jump. So how does testing your jumping skill across a gap constitute a class quest? And the most unforgiveable part of this is that people YEARS ago had complained about this and nothing was done. But guess what, if this quest unintentionally give players a bunch of extra gold or snazzy items you can bet it would have been fixed in a hurry.
    ill bite. its meant to force you to use a banner and not a herald. its been years, but iirc, you are engaged in combat as soon as you jump over. this puts you in combat and does not allow you to use/resummon your herald for the fight. you have to use your standard. A Captain's Standard. it made perfect sence to me on the first go.

    whats more, if this area took you "an hour to clear," then you could use more practice on your captain. were all too happy to help yo here, if you need more capn help!

    jumping is standard fair in most ALL video game genres.


    and thanks for the opportunity to read my old funnies. gotta go back in time!

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Watertown, MA
    Posts
    2,907
    It's good practice for the Beacon of Eaworth, if nothing else.

    Anyway, I'll share the tip I eventually figured out. At that last big jump before the final banner, the one you've probably missed a dozen times even though you tried to time your leap with Make Haste and all sorts of other things... Don't jump straight, jump right.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by SapienChavez View Post
    ill bite. its meant to force you to use a banner and not a herald.
    *sigh people kept perpetuating these fallacies when it was already debunked in page 1. Fine I'll repeat the obvious that one poster pointed out : *

    This instance is not there to "force you to use a banner" because the instance was made >BEFORE< cappy banners were created years ago.

    Add to it the obvious fact that one can summon a herald immediately after one jumps across that just about grounds that above hypothesis to the dust.

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sarasota, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,206
    Ah, another thread that won't die.

    It's one jump, and not a hard one. If you keep missing the jump facing north then, to me at least, changing your jump direction seems like an obvious next step, rather than repeating the same failed manoeuvre.

    As far as the relevancy of the quest to Captains, I took it as an exercise in out-of-the-box thinking. As a Captain you need to be able to adapt your play-style to the situation at hand more-so than some other classes. It also forces you to learn how to release your Herald and re-summon on the fly in order to keep your Herald in-play.

    There are other examples of this design intent (out-of-the-box thinking) in other class quests of the era, the level 15 Lore Master riddle quest for instance.
    [CENTER][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]<< Co-founder of [I][U][SIZE="4"]The Firebrands of Caruja[/SIZE][/U][/I] on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDena View Post
    *sigh people kept perpetuating these fallacies when it was already debunked in page 1. Fine I'll repeat the obvious that one poster pointed out : *

    This instance is not there to "force you to use a banner" because the instance was made >BEFORE< cappy banners were created years ago.

    Add to it the obvious fact that one can summon a herald immediately after one jumps across that just about grounds that above hypothesis to the dust.
    *sigh... trying to help someone from a two year+ old memory*

    im so sorry that the onus is on US for your lack the most basic of gaming skill: jumping


    im sorry i tried to help someone wiht such a hostile manner. your signature makes me shake my head.

    please, take your bad attitude else where.


    ps- your space bare obviously works... you used a whole mess of times in yoru posts.

    pps- i cant believe i let you bait me... oh well, im in a silly mood and ill leave this for the funnies of it!

  21. #96

    Hi Yo Perlino Away!

    I did the quest ages ago with my now level 66 Captain on my primary server but just got my Captain on the secondary server up to level 30 and was frustrated again because it did not work with the Captain's speed buff. It did not work trying different angles.

    I remembered how I did it the first time.

    I got on my horse and jumped to the birds. Keep in mind your herald can't make the jump unless traveling with you on your horse.

    I'll freely admit it's a lame quest and I'd love to see a remake of the Captain quest line without Turbine nerfing the character class.

  22. #97
    This is the time when...

    I can finally use this reply.


  23. #98
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,363
    this thread is like Ivar... everytime you think its dead, hes the new boss battle.

    may this thread never die!

  24. #99
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    121
    I believe it was all on the schedule from Sapience.
    This class quest was a preview of the Beacon of Eaworth in Rohan, where captains would test their skills in another 3d jumping challenge, and then reap the riches by charging 1g for each summon to the top of the beacon.
    So, yes, jumping is a cornerstone of being an effective captain in LOTRO.


  25. #100
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,363
    ill use this thread to test this new forum...

 

 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload