We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: A Captain's Standard

The 'Standard' in the quest name is regarding the collecting of the dwarven standards. The quest was in-game before you could plant your own banners (well, you could in Alpha, but...).

I had no trouble figuring out where to go the first time I did this quest. It took like 6 failed jumps to think about trying a different direction for my jump, but my first jump to the right went smoothly.

I like the different activity presented by this quest, and kind of wish there was more use of jumps in quests/dungeons. However, I think any jump-required areas should be 'bonus' areas so they don't stop you from completing your quests if you are incapable of making the jumps for whatever reason.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Quote Originally Posted by ETSubmariner View Post
    Ok, the level 30 Captain's Instance, A Captain's Standard, is so far the most aggravating quest I've come across. ###?
    (
    Worse than spoiled pie deliveries in the Shire? Is that even possible?

Quote Originally Posted by GalateaOrea View Post
    This is so not helpful. This is the Na-na-na-naa response. It is annoying and aggravating that they put this stupid Prince of Persia trick in a class quest. Goodie for you that you didn't find it so, but that doesn't help the rest of us solve the problem.
    Its okay, relax.
    Captain Waldreight Brangwyn of Gondor
    Shards of Anduril Rank X Kinship Brandywine Server
    "This is all we have, when we die. It's what's left of us, when we die..." -- Tommy Giles Rogers of Between the Buried and Me

Here is what I needed in order to do this and, in a general way, any quest:

A Traits- Take a look at the traits you have set with the Bard. There is a Healer Build or a DPS Build suggestion available online. It would be easier if you have done deeds to get all your Bard slotted virtues to the 3 position for a level 30 quest.

B Gear- Take a look at your Character Panel at your stats. If you can afford it, get the best gear for your level that you can. If the stats show something other than in green, change some gear or jewelry, or weapon to make sure all stats are green.

C Food- You need to kill a bit bunch of dwarves so have food for that. Foods that have a plus for Morale, Power, Vitality, Agility, Will, Fate, or Might (not in any particular order of importance) all would be good. By looking at your Character Panel stats, you can see the areas you need to improve. Have a hope token available, if needed. Have some fear, disease, and wound potions available.

D Standard- the quest makes you jump where the herald cant go so the standard works better. If you haven't got a standard yet, check with the Captain Trainer's shop for the highest available standard. You then equip the standard like any weapon or herald.

E Weapon- I personally like the Halberd best but some like the Sword and Shield better with the Standard. I think that has to do with multiple targets at the same time.

F Knowledge about the Quest- Ability to Jump- You will need to do at least 2 big jumps. Without doing the jumps this is impossible to complete. There are several suggestions should you have trouble with the jumps.
    1. Turn down the graphics level a notch so the program loads faster.
    2. Some use Make Haste to run faster.
    3. Some turn to the right instead of jumping straight ahead into the birds.
    4. Read everything you can find online about the quest.
    5. Before logging into the game, some people will dump temporary files and defrag the computer's hard drive to improve performance.
    6. I still had problems with this after all of the above. I took out my Bree Horse and could finally do the jump.

G When you get all three standards done, go around and loot the dwarves. You might have cleared the bags in anticipation too. At level 35 you can get a regular horse and will be needing every bit of silver you can find.

Please understand that as the Intro Instance teaches you the basics, the Class Instances also teach you skills that you will need later. You are about to enter an area of game play that involves more than run and kill. Proper preparation, supplies, knowledge and skills will lead to a successful completion. These lessons applied to the real world will also work for you.

It's not like you die when you fail the jump. And what's this about mediocre rewards? Is there another way to get Defiance?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000061c2e/01003/signature.png]Planet[/charsig]
    By your powers combined...

Quote Originally Posted by Ariosto View Post
    Correct. It's called "A Captain's Standard" for a reason. You can't take your Herald across with you, so instead you drop your Standard as soon as you jump across the gap (or just before.)
    Ok, sorry to bust your theory but that's not why it's called that. Speaking as an old fart, I did this quest before standards were in-game... so that's not the point.

I don't really know WHAT the point is. I'm terrible at jump puzzles so this was pretty frustrating for me. I totally sympathize with anyone who is having trouble.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Quote Originally Posted by Aramasx View Post
    Worse than spoiled pie deliveries in the Shire? Is that even possible?
    You reminded me! I had blanked out all memory of those...
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Quote Originally Posted by Teowulf View Post
    I personally don't understand what all the complaining is about. I beat this thing on 1 try, never missed a jump, and understood nearly instantly what I had to do when I got to the jumping points, WITHOUT coming to the forums to complain.
    LOL yeah I did too, but then I remember that I have problems when other people don't...And suddenly I understand I don't think the OP was here to complain, really.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Quote Originally Posted by Teowulf View Post
    I personally don't understand what all the complaining is about. I beat this thing on 1 try, never missed a jump, and understood nearly instantly what I had to do when I got to the jumping points, WITHOUT coming to the forums to complain.
    Good lord, my thread is still going since November 2007? Looks like Gandalf isn't the only thing to be resurrected! I'm glad its helped some Captains get across the chasm and onto other, better things.

Since we're on the topic of resurrection, I just now read the other two pages of posts and have to say that Teowulf's reply is certainly the Winner of the Sign award for Least Helpful, Most Sheltered. Welcome to the other 6.6 billion people on the planet.
    [B]Airgoidhwen of the Dale[/B], Captain
    [B]Aoalmiorn, Son of Wulfgeat[/B], Lore-master, steed - Felarófgeld
    [B]Erynir of Lorien[/B], Warden

10. Re: A Captain's Standard

Having spent approximately an hour not trying to jump but trying to figure out *where* I was supposed to make these jumps, I have to say this is the most remarkably ridiculous aspect to the game I have seen.... Any tips, suggestions, or a friggin' map would be most welcome. So would a redesign.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000033326e/01008/signature.png]doronor[/charsig]

I'll try to explain where to jump.

Go to the west side of the structure, head up the short stairs to the south, head east a few paces, head south a few paces to what appears to be the place to jump across, turn back east and jump that way.

It's an easy jump if you're doing it in the right spot.
    Last edited by auximenes; Feb 27 2009 at 11:32 AM.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

12. Re: A Captain's Standard

Thanks for your help. I finally completed this most irritating and absolutely needs to be remade quest.

After you pass the arch going into the structure, cleave to the right hand side... you will find an alcove which winds back to small opening... after killing some dourhands, you have a ramp up afterwhich you can go up the ramp and then do the jump, which was, in itself, not a problem.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000033326e/01008/signature.png]doronor[/charsig]

I didn't have any trouble with this quest. You don't need to use a speed boost to jump across the gap.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520d000000004228/01005/signature.png]Knives[/charsig]
    FutenCake: "The problem with burglars is that the whole Moria package combines to create the [b][u]Voltron of burglar grief[/u][/b]."

Quote Originally Posted by FatherTimex View Post
    I didn't have any trouble with this quest. You don't need to use a speed boost to jump across the gap.
    Correct. You just need to time it right. It's not too hard.

this quest has me wanting to ragequit and wish i could get my money back lol.

First, its a puzzle of "hmm how do i get there."

And now for the giggles.. yes you can laugh ive been trying this quest for a while now. Im 32 and still dying to the green mobs. Mostly because i ignore them thinking they will go away eventually... but lo and behold- in instances mobs dont follow the "real world" rules.

Did they just design these to be a pain in the balls? What was their motive for doing this?

We all love The Brasse, and The Brasse loves captains...

Quest write up with screen shot

However, this wasn't *that* tough to figure out...but I guess I'm one of those that goes jumping around, finding back entrances, etc. all the time. I rarely go into an enemy camp through the front entrance--there is frequently always an unguarded break in a wall somewhere unless they're up in some ruins.

Yes, mobs in instances have always aggroed, regardless of level. At 60, I still can't go into Fornost without fighting my way through.

Using "Make Haste" won't make you jump any further, but it might help people with the timing of the jump. Note that the edges of walls in Lotro are fuzzy and don't always align with the graphics...try moving out on the edge a few times to see how far it actually goes before you fall off--the wall surface extends further than you think.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

I sent the fllowing help request to Turbine through their in-game support system:

"In the Instance: "a captain's standard", I have made a few thousand attempts to jump from one wall to the next one after reading all of the quest tips in how to make this jump by the crebain and been unable to do so. I have also discovered that I can not skip this quest and still get the captain class quests after this lvl 30 quest without doing this one. I lowered all of my graphics settings, tried to time the jump over and over, tried my out of combat speed gear, my agility boost skill, and even tried with my mount all to no avail. May I please be ported to the next wall so that I can finally complete this quest and go do the rest of the captain class quests for legendary traits? Thank you in advance for your assistance."

This is the reply I received from Turbine's in-game support in the help ticket when I went to check the status. Rockeater DID NOT even have the decency to contact me about it.

History:
    08/06/09 06:00 PM Thank you for your help request. The In-Game Support team cannot provide hints or solutions, such as the location of NPC's, mobs, how to complete quests or other game-specific details of this nature. You can use the Advice channel from within the game to ask fellow players for assistance or you can visit the LOTRO.com forums and Lorebook for answers to gameplay questions such as the one you are asking. Good luck and thanks for playing! - +Rockeater+

I have the following reply to this extremely poor customer support.

UMM HELLO!! If Rockeater had even bothered to read my request, he would have learned that I tried everything that he has suggested. This kind of customer support is probably the best way to lose customers, well done Rockeater! I hear Blizzard is hiring folks just like you!

Also, if you want the player to learn about valor, leadership, and honor at level 30. It seems more logical to have a quest where the captain is entrusted with keeping a fellowship alive by teaching them to use their skills they already have and giving them credit for using the skills at the correct spot of the quest. Then require the captain place and defend the quest banners to complete the quest.

Well, i would rather take that kind of answer then "you suck nuub".

Oh and you find the the solution on the board. You might be one of the most powerful necro-threader i've seen in a while... Your hatred toward CS is that great ?

Welcome to the dark side of the interweb. We don't have cookies for you ( i ate them all ).
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by lyzonlightheart View Post
    May I please be ported to the next wall so that I can finally complete this quest and go do the rest of the captain class quests for legendary traits? Thank you in advance for your assistance.
    All of the level 30 class quests are to be completed by the player, not with fellowship assistance. A fellowship quest could be made completely trivial by bringing in players even a few levels higher than the quest...which you are already doing by waiting to do this until level 60. If you'd done it at level, you'd have a sense of accomplishment defeating the dwarves, instead of blowing them over with one shout.

If other captains *are* completing the quest, why should a GM give you a lift? Take a break, go in and try it again after a day or so, I'm betting you'll make it.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Lupini View Post
    All of the level 30 class quests are to be completed by the player, not with fellowship assistance. A fellowship quest could be made completely trivial by bringing in players even a few levels higher than the quest...which you are already doing by waiting to do this until level 60. If you'd done it at level, you'd have a sense of accomplishment defeating the dwarves, instead of blowing them over with one shout.

If other captains *are* completing the quest, why should a GM give you a lift? Take a break, go in and try it again after a day or so, I'm betting you'll make it.
    You are too good. I hope you know that :P
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

I am not intending that you have a fellowship other players, but perhaps npcs and keep the quest solo. My suggestion at the end of my post is just that, a suggestion for refining this quest so that it matches the back story of what the quest is supposed to be about. The back story of the quest is to teach a captain what a captain's standard represents: leadership, valor, and honor.

This quest in it's current state is an progression of stupidity with impossible jumps that without doing these jumps you can not complete the quest. Where exactly does this quest fit the Tolkien books upon which the game professes to be about?

The loot off of the dourhands leaves something to be desired too as someone else pointed out.

However, the most astounding thing is that if you are unable to complete this quest, you are locked out of all the other captain class quests after it. I have been trying to complete this quest for nearly a year from time to time so that at lvl 60 I might be able to use some of the class legendary traits unlocked by the class quests after this one to help the very successful kinship I happen to lead which is founded upon the virtues this quest talks about, so there goes your noob theory.

Kudos those of you who have the fastest computers and best space bar timing and are able to complete this quest. This quest should not be about whether you can play super mario on a keyboard. This quest should stick to what it was intended to do, teach captains how to use their class skills and the virtues of a captain.

I also thought it would be a good idea to inform the other players of exactly how poorly Turbine in-game and Turbine customer service has been treating their paying customers for a long time with some rare exceptions like +Havre+ who does an outstanding job.
    Last edited by lyzonlightheart; Aug 11 2009 at 03:32 AM.

You should have seen the ****-tastic system I had when I did this quest. I didn't even know that the buildings in Bree had lights in them at night or that there were flowers in the meadows...and I'm 50 with achy wrists, and have never played Mario Brothers in my life.

Could it fit the lore better, certainly...most of us have acknowledged that.

Independent of the whole service/bad quest thing: I hate to suggest it, but have you got someone else in the house that might be able to make the jump? Log in, have someone else try? *shrug* Otherwise, I'm not sure what your fix is because Turbine has it stamped all over the forums, TOS, etc. that the GM's will not help with quest completion unless there is some sort of known bug, which this isn't.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

I would still be really interested and curious to know what was the idea and purpose about the captain class that dev had when creating this quest. So far it looks like having no purpose to teach Captain skills or behavior, but rather like a quest made during lunchtime at work, all written on a napkin.

Can we find the true answer to this somewhere for fun ?
    [HR][/HR][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001b8693/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

24. Re: A Captain's Standard

I have several level sixties and my captain is now a tough old bird who can handle his own in just about any instance. I've done the grinds and suffered through difficult instances. I remember this quest as unmitigated stupidity and hate it still.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexlorn View Post
    I would still be really interested and curious to know what was the idea and purpose about the captain class that dev had when creating this quest. So far it looks like having no purpose to teach Captain skills or behavior, but rather like a quest made during lunchtime at work, all written on a napkin.

Can we find the true answer to this somewhere for fun ?

I'm sure its all about what a captain can do and what a captain can't do.
    [/COLOR]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast