We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Angry A Captain's Standard

Ok, the level 30 Captain's Instance, A Captain's Standard, is so far the most aggravating quest I've come across. ###?

I seem to be missing some staircase somewhere to get to the one pole. The second one I assume I just jump down into. I can't jump high enough to climb any of the rocks nor can I just jump across the gulf where the crebain fly.

Anyone with suggestions? I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs trying to get up there.
    [B]Airgoidhwen of the Dale[/B], Captain
    [B]Aoalmiorn, Son of Wulfgeat[/B], Lore-master, steed - Felarófgeld
    [B]Erynir of Lorien[/B], Warden

Re: A Captain's Standard

Use your speed burst to jump the gulley where the crabans are.

Thumbs up Re: A Captain's Standard

Thank the Seven Stars for your quick assistance. I would have been surely bones bleaching in the midday sun if not for that. The dourhands were easy, but I have never thought a speed burst would increase jump distance.

My thanks!
    [B]Airgoidhwen of the Dale[/B], Captain
    [B]Aoalmiorn, Son of Wulfgeat[/B], Lore-master, steed - Felarófgeld
    [B]Erynir of Lorien[/B], Warden

hehe no prob, i just happened to check in here before i logged on. It took me a minute to figure out.

I was able to do this without the speed burst on the test server last month.

I'm anticipating doing it with my captain this weekend.

Instead of jumping to the birds, which I thought was impossible, I made a jump to the right and made it across there. It was frustrating for me, too, until I figured a new spot to jump to.

Didn't even think about doing the burst of speed. Thing with that is, if you mess up, you have to wait 5 minutes to try again. My method (er, which admittedly didn't work the first or second time for me... but I was persistent!) you can keep trying.

Angry Captains Standard: Aggrivation is the Least of It

Aggrivation aside --- and very intense it is --- I think it sucks that the success of a CLASS quest in this MMORPG depends on something totally unrelated and inconsequential to the given CLASS skills, or even roleplaying that CLASS. Clever use in any combination of the numerous tactical, fighting, buffing and healing skills practiced by Captains would be much more fitting.

Resorting to the budget and coding for a super-human jump is a cop-out.

Also, the loot on this solo instanced quest, in which no assitance of any level is permitted, leaves much to be desired. Here we are, level 30's at the least, fighting bands of level 23 Dourhand Dwarves, getting drops fit for levels 13-18. What is that about?

If y'all are going to sit there and watch our toons run up the ramp and round the wall and drop THUNK to the ground, and run it all over again, and again, and again ad nauseum... Like hamsters on an exercise wheel... At least make it worth our freaking time.

I personally don't understand what all the complaining is about. I beat this thing on 1 try, never missed a jump, and understood nearly instantly what I had to do when I got to the jumping points, WITHOUT coming to the forums to complain.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000022bca/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Popul, Hobbit Burglar with a deadly shovel. Failomir Fails the Undying (seriously, don't trust me with getting you that title). Erreth, silly runekeeper.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rawrleader and Grawulf, and various other creeps.[/COLOR]
    [URL="http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/The_HOT_Captain_%28A_Captain%27s_Healing_Build%29"]The HOT Captain Healing Build[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Teowulf View Post
    I personally don't understand what all the complaining is about. I beat this thing on 1 try, never missed a jump, and understood nearly instantly what I had to do when I got to the jumping points, WITHOUT coming to the forums to complain.
    This is so not helpful. This is the Na-na-na-naa response. It is annoying and aggravating that they put this stupid Prince of Persia trick in a class quest. Goodie for you that you didn't find it so, but that doesn't help the rest of us solve the problem.

This must be some sort of sign that the Captain class is well-balanced and fixed. Complaining about jumping? I heard you'll have to strafe in a later quest, may as well just uninstall now. I'm sorry, usually I let this stuff go, but this is a bit much.

i did this quest yesterday on my capt, first jump i just jumped to the right instead of straight into the hawks. Only annoying part was having to keep resummoning my herald since it kept getting question marks, that and the dourhand guarding the last pole that was throwing axes at me while i was fighting the last two hawks.

Overall not too difficult, course i been playing adventure/rpg games since i was a kid so this kind of quest was fairly common place for me. Can see how it would be troublsome for someone not as addicted to games as I am :P

Wait til you get to the L45 class quest, then you'll have something to complain about. The idiotic design work of Turbine is sometimes astounding but really thats a topic for another thread.
    [COLOR=#ffa500][I]Hossi Smashi [/I][/COLOR][I][COLOR=#0000ff]Berenhad Halberen Berendur [/COLOR][COLOR=#dda0dd]Belberella [/COLOR][COLOR=#008080]Beerbo Burpo
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#dda0dd]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#afeeee]Bron Yr Aur[/COLOR][COLOR=#dda0dd]

[/COLOR][COLOR=#cccc33][B]Poxid - Snarlz[/B][/COLOR][/I]

LoL

I Finally decide to level a Captain past 30 and when I get to the level-break I find out I'm playing Super Mario Bros! Only thing missing was the dee dee doo music... Tell me again what leaping across holes in a pathway has to do with Pitfall... err LotRO?

Mugs

Wish they had the beating a dead horse smiley

Would someone remind me what exactly the quest objective was? Its been so long since i did it that i have NO IDEA. Any details would probably help...so far i have gathered there are birds, dwarves, and possibly jumping.

i dont recall having trouble with this quest, but reading of some of your difficulties, perhaps i blocked out that memory!!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000005f597/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [b][color=cyan]Chroner[/color][/b] - R5 Champion * [b][color=cyan]Cronor[/color][/b] - R7 Lore-master
    [b][color=cyan]Qroner[/color][/b] - R5 Minstrel * [b][color=cyan]Qronir[/color][/b] - R5 Rune-keeper

This quest receives justified criticism by new players and questions on how to accomplish it every couple months. It would be nice if someone would sticky a response sometime.

I hated this quest for reasons posted above. I'm playing LOTRO, not Super Mario Brothers. I finally got the quest to work by jumping to the right, not straight. Another clue, unsummon your herald, before you jump. He'll just mess you up otherwise.

The quest might have been worthwhile if you got a banner of the Free Peoples to show off at your house.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000012d6/01003/signature.png]Ancaliman[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Chroner View Post
    Would someone remind me what exactly the quest objective was? Its been so long since i did it that i have NO IDEA. Any details would probably help...so far i have gathered there are birds, dwarves, and possibly jumping.

i dont recall having trouble with this quest, but reading of some of your difficulties, perhaps i blocked out that memory!!
    Super Mario Bros Jump quest
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    Super Mario Bros Jump quest
    can you give me a little more info, lol.

what area is it in? who gives it? what is the quest objective? kill something? go find something?

im lazy and dont want to look it up on lorebook ;]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000005f597/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [b][color=cyan]Chroner[/color][/b] - R5 Champion * [b][color=cyan]Cronor[/color][/b] - R7 Lore-master
    [b][color=cyan]Qroner[/color][/b] - R5 Minstrel * [b][color=cyan]Qronir[/color][/b] - R5 Rune-keeper

Deep breath people...

You dont need to use the speed burst to complete this quest. You can turn 90 degrees and jump to the point where the birds are.

It is somewhat frustrating if you dont preceive the mechanic of the quest straight off the bat - and depending on the angle your camera is set - you may not preceive the area in a manner which makes the jumping obvious.

It is simple once you know what to do - it can be extremely irritating getting to that point - perhaps some extra text can be added to the quest tracker info to alert the player that "jumping" is the required strat.

My Complaint's about this quest were that it was incredibly simple (green con mobs) and the pay-off was meagre considering it was supposed to be a big deal and Captainly accomplishment. What is even more silly is that you can complete the quest and then run back over to the area of the quest and nothing has changed, everything is still the same. I've similar complaints about a lot of quests though that have that same problem.

My comments from an earlier thread:

It is a much beloved and reviled instance. Some people really think it exemplifies what it means to be a captain. I think that it could be polished considerably.

One, you have it hammered into you that you are a 'pet class' and yet, your pet is useless for much of this quest. Two, it is anti climactic. Here its supposed to be about you rallying the Dwarves of Othrikar to the cause and helping recapture a space, but no one is thee to celebrate your accomplishment. The dwarf is like Yay, you did it. And then furthering the disappointment if you are like the majority of people I know, you end up coming back to the non-instanced version of these ruins multiple times and of course its overrun with the Dourhands still... so what was the freaking point?

Still, you get to be heroic a little and it is captainly, seemingly fighting to raise the standards, but I think that the atmosphere could be improved.. perhaps by having more difficult fights (the Dourhands are all well under your level) and also including maybe a night time setting, with a battle raging about you with NPC dwarves facing npc dourhands in a continual battle and as you raise each standard it gets closer to 'dawn' and more of the npc dourhands fall defeated until, when you raise the last standard, the Dawn Breaks, it becomes light and the NPC dwarves finish off the last of the NPC dourhands in the raging epic battle and they all run to gather below what will inevitably be the last banner you have raised and set up a cheer of Baruk Khazad!

Then you get a little speech of thanks, dwarven praise for your Captainly skills and their commitment to continue their efforts against the rising black tide of Angmar and Mordor and the quest is over.

Would be much more dramatic and make the whole jumping puzzle and banner raising more dramatic and appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu98 View Post
    Here its supposed to be about you rallying the Dwarves of Othrikar

AH HAH!!

now i remember it! Yea, it took me a couple minutes running around there to find my way up onto the wall. Once you figure that out, its cake. As much as it annoyed me while i was running around trying to fly, i did feel a slight sense of accomplishment once i reached the "summit", haha.

I did not use speed and made the jumps. I think the jumps are there so you lose your pet and have to figure out how to defeat many enemies without it.
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)

I failed it repeatedly and then a kin-mate suggested I use a banner instead of the herald and use a shield and sword. Bingo-- completed it no sweat then.

The purpose IS to see if you can figure out what to do if you lose the herald (or opt not to have one at all!)
    [URL="http://www.council-of-eraidor.com"][/URL]

I did it at the level you receive it (30) And I left the herald at home and didn't use a standard. Its insanely easy.

And it wasn't designed to teach you how to fight without your healrd. MadeOfLions posted about it and noted the gaps and herald pathing mishap was not intentional.

Further, there is nothing stopping you from summoning the herald after you make a jump and finish off a couple easy birds.

The fights in this quest are not difficult at all unless you went and aggro'd multiple groups of mobs and tried to face them simultaneously.

Eofred

Quote Originally Posted by Dotlbeme View Post
    I did not use speed and made the jumps. I think the jumps are there so you lose your pet and have to figure out how to defeat many enemies without it.
    Correct. It's called "A Captain's Standard" for a reason. You can't take your Herald across with you, so instead you drop your Standard as soon as you jump across the gap (or just before.)

Yes, it's slightly hack-y, but it's a way of encouraging you to think about situations where your Herald can't be used, and where you can use your Standard instead.

Admitedly, it took me forever to figure out I could jump the gap to the right instead of straight ahead, but then I'm not very bright. But the jumping part is only there to avoid people never thinking to use their Standard.
    [LEFT][B][I][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000117522/signature.png]Rushton[/charsig][/I][/B][/LEFT]
    [LEFT][B]For your information, I don't even HAVE a basement.[/B][/LEFT]

I hated this instance. I don't consider myself stupid, or bad at playing a captain, but this instance made me want to gouge my eyes out.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000004b64f/signature.png]Shortbobcopper[/charsig]

Just a note from someone playing with an older graphics card - it's very difficult to time the darn jump to make it across without falling down. We're talking really old card (GEforce 6100 series) that means I seem to load stuff after I've done stuff. Getting a new card of course, but I knew I had to jump pretty much right away it's just doing the jump that's really, really starting to tick me off. I came to the forums to see if hopefully i was wrong and didn't have to jump lol.

*sigh* back to jumping.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast