We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Angry A Captain's Standard

Ok, the level 30 Captain's Instance, A Captain's Standard, is so far the most aggravating quest I've come across. ###?

I seem to be missing some staircase somewhere to get to the one pole. The second one I assume I just jump down into. I can't jump high enough to climb any of the rocks nor can I just jump across the gulf where the crebain fly.

Anyone with suggestions? I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs trying to get up there.
    [B]Airgoidhwen of the Dale[/B], Captain
    [B]Aoalmiorn, Son of Wulfgeat[/B], Lore-master, steed - Felarófgeld
    [B]Erynir of Lorien[/B], Warden

Re: A Captain's Standard

Use your speed burst to jump the gulley where the crabans are.

Thumbs up Re: A Captain's Standard

Thank the Seven Stars for your quick assistance. I would have been surely bones bleaching in the midday sun if not for that. The dourhands were easy, but I have never thought a speed burst would increase jump distance.

My thanks!

hehe no prob, i just happened to check in here before i logged on. It took me a minute to figure out.

I was able to do this without the speed burst on the test server last month.

I'm anticipating doing it with my captain this weekend.

Instead of jumping to the birds, which I thought was impossible, I made a jump to the right and made it across there. It was frustrating for me, too, until I figured a new spot to jump to.

Didn't even think about doing the burst of speed. Thing with that is, if you mess up, you have to wait 5 minutes to try again. My method (er, which admittedly didn't work the first or second time for me... but I was persistent!) you can keep trying.

They added ramps - this is no longer an issue

With all the Captains around, I thought maybe I'd update this thread if you don't mind. It's the first hit if you google the quest, so while there are other threads, this is the one people are likely to look at first.

1. Survival without your herald has nothing to do with it because A, there is no "banner" anymore, it's just a class slot item now, and B, as people have pointed out, if you jump with a horse, your herald comes along.

2. The way this played for me was...

a. I looked around and saw the first banner straight up the hill and went for it. Then followed the ramps to the foundation stone.. noticed it did not do anything for me, and I probably missed some quest opp.. oh well, next time.

b. There was a wooden ramp up to what is now the second banner (used to be the third banner). Still easy.

c. For some reason I didn't notice until later how to get to the other side of the west wall. So I wandered around and looked up the quest. Lots of outdated info greeted me. If you can't find your way up to the third banner, on top of the round tower, look for a break in the west wall, it's almost directly west of the foundation stone.

d. This part deserves caps: THERE ARE RAMPS NOW FOR ALL THE JUMPS, IT IS NO LONGER ABOUT YOUR JUMPING ABILITY I was all prepared to use a burst of speed or my horse or whatever, but it was unnecessary anymore. Those pieces of advice are still helpful for other quests that require jumping.

e. For giggles, I jumped down to the square tower to see how hard that was. I must've had a fortuitous burst of wind because even on foot with my herald I got a jump boost in the middle of the trajectory and landed square in the middle. So maybe just for that instance, the jump issue has been improved. Anyway it's moot.

Enjoy freedom from frustration! Turbine does love us! Buy more Mithril! (I think they deserve that plug for fixing this.)

Angry Captains Standard: Aggrivation is the Least of It

Aggrivation aside --- and very intense it is --- I think it sucks that the success of a CLASS quest in this MMORPG depends on something totally unrelated and inconsequential to the given CLASS skills, or even roleplaying that CLASS. Clever use in any combination of the numerous tactical, fighting, buffing and healing skills practiced by Captains would be much more fitting.

Resorting to the budget and coding for a super-human jump is a cop-out.

Also, the loot on this solo instanced quest, in which no assitance of any level is permitted, leaves much to be desired. Here we are, level 30's at the least, fighting bands of level 23 Dourhand Dwarves, getting drops fit for levels 13-18. What is that about?

If y'all are going to sit there and watch our toons run up the ramp and round the wall and drop THUNK to the ground, and run it all over again, and again, and again ad nauseum... Like hamsters on an exercise wheel... At least make it worth our freaking time.

I personally don't understand what all the complaining is about. I beat this thing on 1 try, never missed a jump, and understood nearly instantly what I had to do when I got to the jumping points, WITHOUT coming to the forums to complain.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000022bca/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Popul, Hobbit Burglar with a deadly shovel. Failomir Fails the Undying (seriously, don't trust me with getting you that title). Erreth, silly runekeeper.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rawrleader and Grawulf, and various other creeps.[/COLOR]
    [URL="http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/The_HOT_Captain_%28A_Captain%27s_Healing_Build%29"]The HOT Captain Healing Build[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Teowulf View Post
    I personally don't understand what all the complaining is about. I beat this thing on 1 try, never missed a jump, and understood nearly instantly what I had to do when I got to the jumping points, WITHOUT coming to the forums to complain.
    This is so not helpful. This is the Na-na-na-naa response. It is annoying and aggravating that they put this stupid Prince of Persia trick in a class quest. Goodie for you that you didn't find it so, but that doesn't help the rest of us solve the problem.

This must be some sort of sign that the Captain class is well-balanced and fixed. Complaining about jumping? I heard you'll have to strafe in a later quest, may as well just uninstall now. I'm sorry, usually I let this stuff go, but this is a bit much.

i did this quest yesterday on my capt, first jump i just jumped to the right instead of straight into the hawks. Only annoying part was having to keep resummoning my herald since it kept getting question marks, that and the dourhand guarding the last pole that was throwing axes at me while i was fighting the last two hawks.

Overall not too difficult, course i been playing adventure/rpg games since i was a kid so this kind of quest was fairly common place for me. Can see how it would be troublsome for someone not as addicted to games as I am :P

Quote Originally Posted by GalateaOrea View Post
    This is so not helpful. This is the Na-na-na-naa response. It is annoying and aggravating that they put this stupid Prince of Persia trick in a class quest. Goodie for you that you didn't find it so, but that doesn't help the rest of us solve the problem.
    Its okay, relax.
    Captain Waldreight Brangwyn of Gondor
    Shards of Anduril Rank X Kinship Brandywine Server
    "This is all we have, when we die. It's what's left of us, when we die..." -- Tommy Giles Rogers of Between the Buried and Me

Here is what I needed in order to do this and, in a general way, any quest:

A Traits- Take a look at the traits you have set with the Bard. There is a Healer Build or a DPS Build suggestion available online. It would be easier if you have done deeds to get all your Bard slotted virtues to the 3 position for a level 30 quest.

B Gear- Take a look at your Character Panel at your stats. If you can afford it, get the best gear for your level that you can. If the stats show something other than in green, change some gear or jewelry, or weapon to make sure all stats are green.

C Food- You need to kill a bit bunch of dwarves so have food for that. Foods that have a plus for Morale, Power, Vitality, Agility, Will, Fate, or Might (not in any particular order of importance) all would be good. By looking at your Character Panel stats, you can see the areas you need to improve. Have a hope token available, if needed. Have some fear, disease, and wound potions available.

D Standard- the quest makes you jump where the herald cant go so the standard works better. If you haven't got a standard yet, check with the Captain Trainer's shop for the highest available standard. You then equip the standard like any weapon or herald.

E Weapon- I personally like the Halberd best but some like the Sword and Shield better with the Standard. I think that has to do with multiple targets at the same time.

F Knowledge about the Quest- Ability to Jump- You will need to do at least 2 big jumps. Without doing the jumps this is impossible to complete. There are several suggestions should you have trouble with the jumps.
    1. Turn down the graphics level a notch so the program loads faster.
    2. Some use Make Haste to run faster.
    3. Some turn to the right instead of jumping straight ahead into the birds.
    4. Read everything you can find online about the quest.
    5. Before logging into the game, some people will dump temporary files and defrag the computer's hard drive to improve performance.
    6. I still had problems with this after all of the above. I took out my Bree Horse and could finally do the jump.

G When you get all three standards done, go around and loot the dwarves. You might have cleared the bags in anticipation too. At level 35 you can get a regular horse and will be needing every bit of silver you can find.

Please understand that as the Intro Instance teaches you the basics, the Class Instances also teach you skills that you will need later. You are about to enter an area of game play that involves more than run and kill. Proper preparation, supplies, knowledge and skills will lead to a successful completion. These lessons applied to the real world will also work for you.

LOL yeah I did too, but then I remember that I have problems when other people don't...And suddenly I understand I don't think the OP was here to complain, really.
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Good lord, my thread is still going since November 2007? Looks like Gandalf isn't the only thing to be resurrected! I'm glad its helped some Captains get across the chasm and onto other, better things.

Since we're on the topic of resurrection, I just now read the other two pages of posts and have to say that Teowulf's reply is certainly the Winner of the Sign award for Least Helpful, Most Sheltered. Welcome to the other 6.6 billion people on the planet.

16. Re: A Captain's Standard

Having spent approximately an hour not trying to jump but trying to figure out *where* I was supposed to make these jumps, I have to say this is the most remarkably ridiculous aspect to the game I have seen.... Any tips, suggestions, or a friggin' map would be most welcome. So would a redesign.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000033326e/01008/signature.png]doronor[/charsig]

I'll try to explain where to jump.

Go to the west side of the structure, head up the short stairs to the south, head east a few paces, head south a few paces to what appears to be the place to jump across, turn back east and jump that way.

It's an easy jump if you're doing it in the right spot.
    Last edited by auximenes; Feb 27 2009 at 11:32 AM.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Quote Originally Posted by ETSubmariner View Post
    Ok, the level 30 Captain's Instance, A Captain's Standard, is so far the most aggravating quest I've come across. ###?
    (
    Worse than spoiled pie deliveries in the Shire? Is that even possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Aramasx View Post
    Worse than spoiled pie deliveries in the Shire? Is that even possible?
    You reminded me! I had blanked out all memory of those...
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

I realize this is a bit of a thread necro, but purges do happen on these forums, and this thread has a lot of good info. I'm about to attempt this with my captain, and reading through this thread has been a help in preparing for it...
    Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy

For those helpful folks in this thread... /salute

Go up on the platform, turn to the right and make a jump across. Run up to the birds on the right side, far enough so you don't draw aggro from the other set.

Kill the birds. Resummon the herald, then you should be okay.

Good luck.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000000466/01008/signature.png]Vlasnir[/charsig]
    [url]http://actolytes.guildlaunch.com[/url] | Follow @AcolytesKinship

This thread is often revitalized, so I'm posting in it to save it from forum purge.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Lupini View Post
    This thread is often revitalized, so I'm posting in it to save it from forum purge.

When i saw it i was like "hmm this looks like deja vue..". I started to look at the start date and read.. and then start to laugh so loud after reading all the name in the thread..

PS: Thanks for the stuff

Oh and i just realize i'll be doing that quest 'again' soon.. Let see if i can remember it correctly. If not, well, i'm Dooommmed !!! I guess i'll return there at level 65 with full radiance !
    Last edited by MorningStarSE; May 27 2010 at 10:07 PM.
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    Oh and i just realize i'll be doing that quest 'again' soon.. Let see if i can remember it correctly. If not, well, i'm Dooommmed !!! I guess i'll return there at level 65 with full radiance !
    Why would your level or your Radiance have anything to do with being able to complete the jump in this quest?
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

+10 Leaping distance buff on the Captains Set of the Impala.

>;-}

ETA: It doesn't make any difference, we're joking that a veteran captain would end up not having their level 30 quest done until level 65.
    Last edited by Lupini; May 29 2010 at 09:48 AM.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast