We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Improved Sure Strike - Less Damage than Regular Version

when i hit 66 and got improved sure strike i was careful to note the damage ranges on both before i dinged. improved is almost 100 average damage less at level 66 than regular sure strike.

why? because it lowers the cooldown on the power-hog battleshout for a class that has always had power issues?

this needs an explanation, or we need the ability to use the old one or the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Teyaha View Post
    when i hit 66 and got improved sure strike i was careful to note the damage ranges on both before i dinged. improved is almost 100 average damage less at level 66 than regular sure strike.

why? because it lowers the cooldown on the power-hog battleshout for a class that has always had power issues?

this needs an explanation, or we need the ability to use the old one or the new one.
    I wonder, do you have the Sure Strike damage legacy (I think there is one now)? Maybe it's broken and doesn't work with the improved version of the skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jullandar View Post
    I wonder, do you have the Sure Strike damage legacy (I think there is one now)? Maybe it's broken and doesn't work with the improved version of the skill.
    I have the legacy on my 95 Captain and it seems to work properly in the Improved Sure Strike (it goes from ~2k to ~2.5k when I swap from emblem without SS damage to one that has)

have the legacy. had the legacy maxed when this happened. removed and requipped the weapon with the legacy to be sure it was actually an issue with the skill.

average dmg dropped by just over 100. took a few levels for it to catch back up to my previous sure strike dmg.

cutting attack is the same way, btw. regulr cutting attack ticks for more than grave wound until you get improved cutting attack, then it does less (now the same tick damage as improved grave wound).

i'm guessing we take a damage penalty because of the pretty-much useless debuffs these two dots pick up with their improved versions. sure strike however should not take a damage penalty. i really couldnt care if it takes a second off battle shout when it's used. battleshout does less than half the damage for nearly twice the power cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Teyaha View Post
    have the legacy. had the legacy maxed when this happened. removed and requipped the weapon with the legacy to be sure it was actually an issue with the skill.

average dmg dropped by just over 100. took a few levels for it to catch back up to my previous sure strike dmg.

cutting attack is the same way, btw. regulr cutting attack ticks for more than grave wound until you get improved cutting attack, then it does less (now the same tick damage as improved grave wound).

i'm guessing we take a damage penalty because of the pretty-much useless debuffs these two dots pick up with their improved versions. sure strike however should not take a damage penalty. i really couldnt care if it takes a second off battle shout when it's used. battleshout does less than half the damage for nearly twice the power cost.
    Actually battleshout opens up your chain which does dramatically more damage then sure strike. It also allows sure strike to provide its buff.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820a00000000548a/01001/signature.png]Nerobus[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by ssslippy View Post
    Actually battleshout opens up your chain which does dramatically more damage then sure strike. It also allows sure strike to provide its buff.
    the natural cooldown on batlteshout is less than that of on guard and other buffs provided by sure strike while in a battle ready state without it being reduced by improved sure strike.

there is no logical reason for the avg dmg to drop on any ability that gets an 'improved' version, especially on THIS class.

maybe its a matter or perspective...

perhaps SS is doing too much damage and the improved version is at the proper level...

its not like our dmg output is lacking; you should be steamrolling all content solo anyway.

so, my guess is that ISS is "properly" scaled and the first version isn't, but seeing as the first versions are gone by the time scaling really matters, the devs moved on to more important things. this is in no way gamebreaking and could/should just be ingnored, assuming im right, but WE always assume im right. it is ME, afterall

I just popped 66, and (Improved) Sure Strike dropped one measly damage point (from 282-429 to 281-428). Perhaps that's a function of being in a blue spec, but I can't see the ~100 avg damage drop other people have experienced.

I too agree that an Improved version should be strictly better than the preceding one, especially if it simply replaces it.