We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Girl Gamers

Re: Girl Gamers

Quote Originally Posted by Rel72 View Post
    I was standing in EB Games with my three kids today discussing MoM with the guy at the counter. The store wasn't really busy and we started to chat about mmorpg's we'd played. I don't usually get to use gamer-speak in rl (none of my rl friends are gamers) so it was refreshing for me to use all the acronyms and stuff that we do in-game. After a little while I had that 'you are being watched' type of feeling. I glance off to the left.....2 'we work out at the gym for 8 hour a day' type young guys in the fps section looking at me as if I'd sprouted horns....that's cool .... I can deal. Glance to the right.....3 goth/emo teenage guys in the rpg section who were paler than usual and one even had his mouth wide open in shock...ok starting to feel strange. The thing that freaked me out the most were the two really geeking looking nerd types behind me who were smiling like all their christmases had come at once.

I'm still trying to work out if it was the fact I am a girl....the fact I am older....the fact that I am a mother or all three that had them all looking that way.
    Awesomeness! I have 3 grown daughters, none of which are into gaming. But, I'm bringing my grandsons into it for sure!!! I've only been into rpg's for about 8 yrs, but LoTRO is the end all of all games for me. EQ subscription has been cancelled, Guild Wars is on a back burner probly forever. It's great fun to have my 3yr old grandson sitting right next to me watching and commenting on every thing he sees on the screen, with fascination!
    Nevanna~Lynxa~Amasal~Lagurtha~ Hybiscuits
    "I am rather tired, and no longer young enough to pillage the night to make up for the deficit of hours in the day..." JRR Tolkien, Letter # 174

100%female of mixed-Asian heritage who prefers the company of men, hands-down. But I guess this is because for all of my life, my closest friends have been male and it continues to be this way even in LOTRO. However, there is one female player in this game whose leadership in the moors I respect a whole lot; I've always enjoyed being in a raid where she was the leader.
    Proud Bree-land homeowner!

*Waves hand* I'm not really a girl gamer.

These are not the girls your looking for.

Move along.
    [I][COLOR=grey]Sylexis Relsicil of Landroval
    “Don’t only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.” ~ Beethoven[/COLOR][/I]

Quote Originally Posted by Sylexis View Post
    *Waves hand* I'm not really a girl gamer.

These are not the girls your looking for.

Move along.
    ROFLMAOIPIMPILSH!!!! Wonder where that came from ..... I am SOOO getting that shirt if I find it again!!

I was standing in EB Games with my three kids today discussing MoM with the guy at the counter. The store wasn't really busy and we started to chat about mmorpg's we'd played. I don't usually get to use gamer-speak in rl (none of my rl friends are gamers) so it was refreshing for me to use all the acronyms and stuff that we do in-game. After a little while I had that 'you are being watched' type of feeling. I glance off to the left.....2 'we work out at the gym for 8 hour a day' type young guys in the fps section looking at me as if I'd sprouted horns....that's cool .... I can deal. Glance to the right.....3 goth/emo teenage guys in the rpg section who were paler than usual and one even had his mouth wide open in shock...ok starting to feel strange. The thing that freaked me out the most were the two really geeking looking nerd types behind me who were smiling like all their christmases had come at once.

I'm still trying to work out if it was the fact I am a girl....the fact I am older....the fact that I am a mother or all three that had them all looking that way.
    HAHA I know exactly what you mean! And you cant help but try and figure out if it is because Im a chick and I know all the lingo or what! The jaw drops are SO funny though!

LOL..I have been having these experiences too. I got into a conversation with a waiter...picture me...45yo married lady...with a little bit of gray hair..(yea I kinda do look like a librarian).lol..chatting with this 20somthing waiter. First we compared tattoos...then the game talk was on! My husband is used to it now, but there were several other folks just staring. There were a couple of goth guys just listening and smiling..hahah.

The learning curve has been fun...gamer chicks ftw!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000001b586/01008/signature.png]Seremela[/charsig]
    Seremela Telperian*Minstrel/Anarane*LM/Melisse*Hunter
    Elendilmir: [color=orange][Jewelled Bell][/color] goes *Jingle, Jangle*

I have a couple of funny situations to share:

- I have a very straight-laced job (which bores me to tears) in the corporate world and if I so much as mention that I game, they always say "you don't look like a gamer?" -- all types of people game, but I think it's because they steroetype gamers as male, young, unattractive. None of which describe me *wink*, ok maybe I should be humble on the attractiveness part.

- I don't play many fps games, and really prefer MMO's, so when my friends' children talk about fps games, I just listen, but once they got into MMO's, I jumped in the conversations and admitted I was a 5 year veteran (and played MUDs back in the early 90's as other folks here have mentioned). I got some gamer-cred for that.

- I use voice-chat in PuGs because it's just easier to communicate sometimes when you don't know each other's playstyles. Once my microphone died and I didn't switch voice chat off in my options, but I could hear people on the speakers. So, I told the fellowship that I could hear but couldn't talk and they gave me a hard time saying that I didn't WANT to talk because then people would know I wasn't a real girl and just pretending to be one.

All situations I can laugh at but sometimes can be frustrating that people don't think we are a significant portion of the community. I wonder if there are real statistics out there...but even if there were, are we really a different demographic? I don't think so necessarily.

Game on Girls!
    [color=Red] Creeps: [/color] Durlak, Cursor, Interwebs, WarInPieces, Darlek
    [color=Yellow] Freeps: [/color] Kaliwen, Gwaeren, Sylvya, Leandrial, Hielgrin

I get that allot. Oh sure your a girl. I bet your really a boy. When people hear me in vent they think i'm a 10 yr old boy. I have to show pics.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000014af23/01002/signature.png]Elisabeth[/charsig]I summon the fuzzy creatures that bringeth the light.I summon the fancy smells that fizzle all night.Let nature come hence and heal thy wounds.And resurrect my friend who is an utter noob!

Quote Originally Posted by Starstruck View Post
    I have a couple of funny situations to share:

- I have a very straight-laced job (which bores me to tears) in the corporate world and if I so much as mention that I game, they always say "you don't look like a gamer?" -- all types of people game, but I think it's because they steroetype gamers as male, young, unattractive. None of which describe me *wink*, ok maybe I should be humble on the attractiveness part.

- I don't play many fps games, and really prefer MMO's, so when my friends' children talk about fps games, I just listen, but once they got into MMO's, I jumped in the conversations and admitted I was a 5 year veteran (and played MUDs back in the early 90's as other folks here have mentioned). I got some gamer-cred for that.

- I use voice-chat in PuGs because it's just easier to communicate sometimes when you don't know each other's playstyles. Once my microphone died and I didn't switch voice chat off in my options, but I could hear people on the speakers. So, I told the fellowship that I could hear but couldn't talk and they gave me a hard time saying that I didn't WANT to talk because then people would know I wasn't a real girl and just pretending to be one.

All situations I can laugh at but sometimes can be frustrating that people don't think we are a significant portion of the community. I wonder if there are real statistics out there...but even if there were, are we really a different demographic? I don't think so necessarily.

Game on Girls!
    Quote Originally Posted by chicien View Post
    I get that allot. Oh sure your a girl. I bet your really a boy. When people hear me in vent they think i'm a 10 yr old boy. I have to show pics.
    You shouldn't worry about what they think, nor do you have to prove to anyone who/what you really are. You know the truth of it and if they choose to make assumptions about you, then that's their problem.
    Proud Bree-land homeowner!

I had a young guy tell me today that "GG's are sooooo sexy" 0_o Apparently we're the in-thing. Poor guy almost died when his mates dad told him "She's been a GG for the past 20years" I don't think I quite lived up to his image......rofl!!!
    [center][color=lightblue][b]Zomgnaba[/b][/color][/center]
    [center][color=red][b]Proud to be part of Bteam[/b][/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by fateHibari View Post
    You shouldn't worry about what they think, nor do you have to prove to anyone who/what you really are. You know the truth of it and if they choose to make assumptions about you, then that's their problem.
    True. It just shocks me when they don't believe what I say. Are there that many guys out there lying about being a girl? What's the big deal anyway, guy, girl, pretend guy, pretend girl. It's a game after all. :P

I had a young guy tell me today that "GG's are sooooo sexy" 0_o Apparently we're the in-thing. Poor guy almost died when his mates dad told him "She's been a GG for the past 20years" I don't think I quite lived up to his image......rofl!!!
    Maybe your a sexy 20+ gamer. I guess it's too much to ask that they not have an image to start with. Ah well.

I think when guys think of girl-gamers the first image that comes into their testosterogen loaded brain is something similar to the Asur girl in Rappalz etc. You know....short-shorts, leather vest open and leather chamosole underneath bearly holding in an over-sized bossom. Garter belts with a large sword in each hand and high heals.

Sorry....I really don't even come close lol

short-shorts, leather vest open and leather chamosole underneath bearly holding in an over-sized bossom. Garter belts with a large sword in each hand and high heals.
    ooooooo can I make a comment to that???

Quote Originally Posted by exar View Post
    ooooooo can I make a comment to that???
    Of course you can!
    [COLOR=White][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000157ff/01008/signature.png]Margaret[/charsig][/COLOR][COLOR=#303030][COLOR=#303030]
    [COLOR=White]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Can haz piez plz? [COLOR=DarkOrange][Jewelled Bell] [COLOR=White]goes *Jingle, Jangle*[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]

in the dark...cold...UnderWater places...

/sigh
    I had this co worker who found out that I was a gamer...I tried to keep it to myself... but...suddenly he was telling everyone I was
    1.) Practicing bad hygene
    2.) A nerd
    3.) A social outcast
    4.) A low life
    5.) A WoW player
    6.) The only person to stoop so low as to be a gamer

All the stereo types he could find he pinned on me...

Then he outed me to a team of people at a worksite...but I was ready for it, and outed myself first, 1/2 the people there, outed themseves as well. They gave him the, "Yeah, so, you don't?" attitude and he had to walk away.

In a couple weeks time I proved he was
    1.) Practicing bad hygene
    2.) A nerd
    3.) A social outcast
    4.) A low life
    5.) Un-1337
    6.) The only person to stoop so low as to NOT be a gamer

In the office, we have several WoW players, CaC, Halo3, Guitar hero 3 addicts, and several other online and off line gamers.
    3 total out of 25 did not play some game avidly. One of the guys showed ups his rank...he is a killah...lol!

Oh..yeah, I used to get asked about my kids when purchasing a game at game stop, pushed out of the way by penniless kid browsers, while I tried to check out what was new, then bought it. Had games grabbed out of my hand so they could show their parents and bring it back in shme...DE-nied!

Gamer, female...I try not to make a big deal out of, as we are something of hot topic...
    ;p
    [COLOR=lightblue][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000b0c79/signature.png]Fereniel[/charsig][/COLOR]

lOl I just happen to bring up that I got a very special bday present from some one special to one of my friends I work with and another woman sitting near by heard me, and it ended up she plays wow.. all the guys in the breakroom were sitting there... jaws on the floor as we chatted and used "game lingo" We are now dubbed the coolest people at work!
    [FONT=Garamond][SIZE=5][COLOR=deepskyblue][B]Whatever you are, be a good one.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [URL]http://www.myspace.com/elendilmirlotro[/URL]
    [URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=101362[/URL] [URL]http://www.myspace.com/stephgamerbabe[/URL]

i want (ALL) elendilmir girls to come and fly wit me to meneldor =]

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits93 View Post
    i want (ALL) elendilmir girls to come and fly wit me to meneldor =]
    Im already there... just hidden
    [FONT=Garamond][SIZE=5][COLOR=deepskyblue][B]Whatever you are, be a good one.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [URL]http://www.myspace.com/elendilmirlotro[/URL]
    [URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=101362[/URL] [URL]http://www.myspace.com/stephgamerbabe[/URL]

Sorry....a strange thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago. I got nagged into going over and checking out creepside.

It is now my home and I love it. The look on people's faces though when I tell them I'm a hobbit loving warg is priceless

I love girl gamers...
    Seriously though, girl gamers I have run with have always been mature, most of them loving moms and wives, and great friends.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000f8a48/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Graalx2 to the Wardens: "You guys!!! There is such a thing as being too efficient."

We all know girl gamers are the best, and you guys do have a lot of fun picking on us. *cough*
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000002d04c/signature.png]Beruthqoc[/charsig]
    "He is surer of finding the way home in a blind night than the cats of Queen Berúthiel."
    QOC means Queen of Cats :) (formerly known as BeruthielQOC)

Quote Originally Posted by Beruthiel View Post
    We all know girl gamers are the best, and you guys do have a lot of fun picking on us. *cough*
    Indeed. PM vent was priceless last night. Poor Luci..
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrolen View Post
    Indeed. PM vent was priceless last night. Poor Luci..
    She brought that upon herself, while I do not have an evidence of that, its my story and I'm sticking to it.

Theodhelm - Captain | Falawine - Hunter | Coquet - Warden | Junkyard - Stalker
    ~Elendilmir Server~ the [Jewelled Bell] of servers
    ~Misadventurers~

Another LOTRO girl here, Brandywine server. I am 27 with a 6 year old son, live-in brother and bf. This is my first MMO and besides The Sims and Zelda, Ocarina of Time, my first real gaming experience! I've always loved Tolkien and my brother started talking up the game months before it was released. We got into open beta and I was immediately hooked. Can't speak for other gaming communities but as a true NEWBIE (I chose a LM for my first character, lol) the help I received was tremendous. Those who grouped with me way back when know how truly awful I was, and I have to say they were nothing but encouraging.

After a year of playing, I am much improved and still loving it, just can't quit making characters - hehe. As to us gals, there are quite a few of us on Brandywine and I get more surprise that I play male characters than the fact that I am female. As to why I play only males, I think I am too critical of the female characters. In the posterior view, to me, they run funny. It's not as bad from the front, so others' female characters don't bother me.

I've tried everything in the game from raids to the 'Moors, including all the character classes, love to group with both my kinship AND PUGS - meet a lot of nice people that way, and am champing at the bit waiting for November 18 and MoM. Glad to meet all the other girls (and guys) on this thread, give me a wave if you see me in-game.
    Tammarin, Carch, Tamak
    Brandywine Server

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast