Q&A Hobbits to Isengard - Arkenstone
The schedule has changed – be sure to check the forums. Belegar, Sirannon and Anduin have moved, and Bullroarer has been added to next Friday. Since there is a lot of flexibility on Bullroarer he is working hard to ensure it’s anything but a normal run ;)
Please note: I am paraphrasing here. Anything said here is coming through my interpretation of what was said, and is subject to being corrected, so don't take all this as the final word.
If anyone who was present has any additions or corrections, feel free to post.
Q&A Hobbits to Isengard - Arkenstone
- Will Gilrain be recommended server
He doesn’t know what current recommended server is, thought they’d already changed it. He will check on it
- What are the odds the character slot limit will be increased
He doesn’t know. Some players have expressed a desire to have that limit raised, and it has been passed on to the engineers and some other people to take a look at and see if it can be done.
- Is the recommended server set manually
Yes, they can set it to whatever they want. Only difference is with European servers, which will recommend German or French servers if you are in those regions.
- A few class-specific questions
For class-specific questions, it’s best to post those in the forum for that class. He can tell the dev, “Hey, go look at the minstrel forums there are a few new questions.” But generally he’s not the best person to answer any class-specific questions.
- Has the new Bullroarer client been fixed so it doesn’t install Pando
Currently Pando has been removed across the board, but there is no Bullroarer install at this point, and it won’t be around until one or two rounds of bug fixes on Bullroarer. So if you don’t have the Bullroarer client at this point you will have to wait a bit. If you do not currently have Bullroarer installed there is no way for you to have it installed for next week. You will have to wait until an installer becomes available.
- How did Aaron enjoy being on the stream
He seemed to enjoy it quite a bit, and a couple more team members have expressed an interest in being involved so he’s going to try to get some people in for Bullroarer. If they can’t get in on voice chat he’s going to try to get them to at least roll up a hobbit and do the run with us.
- Question about end game content
There has already been a lot said on this topic, so he’s just going to say, read Aaron’s letter and the comments he made in the thread following. He spells it out pretty clearly in his follow up comment, so if you read that thread you will have the answer you are looking for.
- Any clues on the name of volume 4
You will find out when we go to Bullroarer. If you read what was said so far about U13 you should be able to make a close guess.
- Question about the timer Sapience uses
It’s called Event Timer, and was written by a player. On the 3rd or 4th run, the player decided that it would be nice to have an onscreen timer so people wouldn’t have to keep asking for the current time, so went ahead and created the plugin for it.
EDIT: The player in question is Thurallor of Landroval, and the plugin can be found here.
- Do you know how to pronounce all the things and places and people in the game
No, he butchers a lot of them, tries to keep the need to pronounce the difficult ones to a minimum
- What are the odds of getting major events such as Weatherstock into the splash screens in the game
It never occurred to him before, but he’s definitely going to look into it – thinks it’s a great idea
- Do you enjoy the runs
He enjoys them a lot. He thinks it’s fun to watch how different groups try to approach things differently, and enjoys some of the weird and interesting questions.
- What is your most memorable moment from all the runs so far
The last run (on Snowbourn) – at the exact moment Aaron was about to answer a question, a member of the Turbine QA team let out a scream that was perfectly timed in the gap. She was very embarrassed and everyone had a good laugh.
- Why can’t we have monster players in these runs
Because monster players exist exclusively in the Ettenmoors and we aren’t in the Ettenmoors for these runs
- Comment that splash screen ads would be a nice tip of the hat to people organizing events
Even if they can’t do a splash page, using the example of Weeatherstock, in the past they’ve put Weatherstock on Facebook and Twitter, they’ve added special codes so participants – people who go to Weatherstock and who organize it – can have account-wide titles associated with the events, etc. Even PC Gamer magazine has covered Weatherstock in the past, so they do support it a lot.
- What is Weatherstock
Think Woodstock only in-game. A group of players organized an in-game music festival that happens every year at Weathertop on Landroval. If you are not familiar with the music system in-game, you can start a band and play music, and there’s a group on Landroval who organize a concert every year called Weatherstock.
- Can we expect balance changes in U13
Yeah, balance is something that they are constantly working on. There are definitely some changes coming with U13 specifically to address difficulty. He was just talking with Jinjaah today about some of the things he and other people on the team are working on to address balance and difficulty level. They’ve been getting feedback from the Player’s Council on it as well to get their thoughts on it.
- There are a lot of groups that do things on a very regular basis on different servers. Windy Acres Ranch does mounted races, Ales and Tales – there are a lot of player-organized events. Check the forums, people usually do post a notice and you can find all sorts of fun in-game events to take part in.
- Why doesn’t DeviledEgg post on the forums
She has posted on the forums. Remember that no dev is required to post or interact on the forums. They do it when they can, if they can, if they wish to. Some people choose to post more than others, but everyone does read them. Even if they aren’t posting, they do read them and are aware of what’s being said. Even in the recent chat Aaron mentioned that he reads the suggestions forums. He doesn’t get to read them all, but he does read them.
- Is there a perfect route for this event or are there multiple and it’s just about execution
He thinks there may be a perfect route, but execution is extremely important. Arkenstone appear to be doing everything right, so their time would be good regardless of route.
- How were run times/dates decided
He made it up as he went along. Times are decided based on time zone of those servers, so that factors into it. The earlier in the day he can do it, the more likely he can get a dev in to chat with us.
- Do the people who group up get anything special such as a title
Nope, they just get bragging rights
- Has there been any talk about when we may see Shelob appear within the game
He doesn’t know if that specific conversation has taken place, but they do try to get lore moments in the game at appropriate times, so when the time is right the conversation will happen.
- Any news about the housing revamp
No news about housing revamp, beyond what Aaron said in his letter
- Where is the Bullroarer download link
There is no link at this point. If you don’t have it installed you will have to wait until the middle or end of the month, he thinks.
- How does one apply to work for LotRO
Go to turbine.com/en/careers. All their jobs are in Boston. They have some engineering, marketing and tech jobs open at the moment.
- Are the in-game GMs all in Boston
All the English speaking ones are. The French and German ones are in those regions, but for the most part all LotRO jobs are in Boston.
- Could the BR run be rescheduled until there's a fresh installer build
No, the only reason he was able to pull off a Bullroarer run at all was because a couple of runs needed to be rescheduled due to translator availability and an opening was made that gave a perfect opportunity for a Bullroarer run
Tips on Getting a Good Time to Isengard For Your Server
Tips on Getting a Good Time to Isengard For Your Server
(I will keep these updated - anyone with suggestions let me know and I will add them)
- No cloaks or mounts
- Keep the amount of players around Sapience – especially within his line of vision – to a bare minimum to reduce lag
- Have most of the party waiting outside of Bree, and have just a few people run him from the Prancing Pony to the gates where everyone else is, to keep lag down in that area
- Keep the need to swim to an absolute minimum, keep broken legs to a minimum – anything that will slow run speed
- Ensure people around Sapience stay out of combat and can focus on running
- Find a good route and practice it, preferably with at least a couple of raids worth of people to ensure the test runs imitate server conditions at the time of the actual race (i.e. tons of people on)
To use the plugin Sapience uses for these runs, go to LotROInterface and dowload Thurallor's plugin there.
- Take special care around bridges and other obstacles so that he doesn’t fall off or get stuck or hung up on things
- Keep any run speed buffs on him that you are able to
- Watch previous streams, particularly fastest times, for ideas
- Good idea to have a backup group waiting in Bree in case he dies so that they can get running again right away
- (Suggested by Orodbril) Hunters can not only use "Find the path". They can increase this buff a lot: Once via the blue trait line "Pathfinder" 10% and then by a LI for the main hand/Melee with the major attribute "Find The Path movement speed" another 6 per cent. So with these two improvements the buffs would increase more than 100% putting the speed buff to a total of 31%.
- (Suggested by Orodbril) Captains could increase the duration of the "Make haste" speed buff with their LI (Weapon minor). It can be increased from 20 seconds without LI to 45 seconds with LI, which is also an improvement of 125%.