We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bullroarer Update 21 - Preview and Release Notes

Welcome to our third open preview of Update 21: Mordor. These notes are for Bullroarer, released on Friday, July 7th. Both these notes and the update are a work in progress, so you should expect things will change over time.

• The Bullroarer database was wiped in preparation for this weekend. Please feel free to copy your live character to Bullroarer using the LIVE transfer wizard.
    • New Epic Volume 4 Book 9 will not be available during the U21 open beta.
    • The Allegiance system panel is available (Reputation - Allegiances), but all of the quests, rewards, and other elements of the system are not yet in place.
    • The Bullroarer installer files have been updated, so if you need to re-install the Bullroarer client you will only need to patch from last week's build once the initial download is complete.

New since last preview:
    1. Early elements of the avatar update can be seen in this build on human models. You will note a toggle in the character generation UI that allows you to see the original or updated appearance for each option. There is also an in-game settable "Avatar Update Visible" option in the Advanced Graphics section of the Options panel. We would love your feedback on the changes in the human female faces and the human male faces and hair styles. It is possible that appearance versioning of existing characters is not working properly, so please let us know if you notice glaring differences between your copied live character and a character created on Bullroarer with the same options.
    2. The High Elf race is again available and a small number of cosmetic alterations have been made since last weekend (mainly focused on the hair). We would love your continued feedback on the new racial starting area, racial traits, new animations, and the avatars overall. Please note that high elf visual appearances are still under development.
    3. The first two chapters of 'The Black Book of Mordor: Where the Shadows Lie' are still available for preview! Start by completing the quest 'One Does Not Simply' from Boromir in the Battle of the Morannon (via teleport horse from the Slag-hills). Then return to the landscape version of the Black Gate (at the Slag-hills in the Wastes) to obtain 'Chapter 1: Beyond the Black Gate' from Mithrandir. Note that some NPC appearances and other art elements are not yet final. We would love to hear your feedback on this story line.

• Stable-masters are available in the Slag-Hills and in a small number of locations throughout Gorgoroth.
    • Featured instance cap level (115) quest rewards now includes level 115 equipment and level 106 essences.
    • You can now loot each pack only once in quest "The Things They Left Behind" in Udun.
    • High Elves have two new quests to guide them after arriving in Celondim.
    • Four Udun deeds now have title rewards.
    • Human female idle and afk idles have been updated.
    • Various Gorgoroth monsters have visually updated armour and equipment.
    • Level 106 - 115 ratings stats have been adjusted to make the transition from level 105 - 110 smoother and slightly gentler, while making the increase from there to 115 steeper.
    • Lost lore items can be found throughout Gorgoroth. The audio, text, rewards, and underlying quest structure supporting the items is not yet complete.
    • The /mumble emote in the High Elf intro should no longer cause you to get out of bed.

If you are using an XP or Vista machine, you will be able to launch the Bullroarer client. Please rename or move the TurbineLauncher.exe.config file in your Bullroarer client folder. Then replace it: http://installer.lotro.turbine.com/l...her.exe.config.

Release Notes:
    Explore Mordor
    • Explore Gorgoroth, including:
    • Udun, the entryway that holds great forges, quarries, and parade grounds of Mordor.
    • Dor Amarth, the rocky plain holding the broken bones of Barad-dur
    • Talath Urui, located south of Mount Doom, home to key fortresses, prisons, and military establishments.
    • Lhingris, west of the Morgai ridge, home to Cirith Ungol.
    • Agarnaith, a valley southeast of Barad-dur with a dense, pestilent, and bloody swampland.

Level Cap Increase
    • The level cap has been raised to 115.

Allegiance System
    • This new end-game system allows players to pledge their allegiance to one faction at a time. Pledge yourself to the Dwarves, Elves, Hobbits, or Men, and unlock rewards through activities in Mordor, including a unique story arc! Currently you can access the system, but the items required to advance progress in an allegiance are not yet available in game.

Light of Eärendil/Shadow
    • Areas of Shadow can be found in varying intensity throughout Mordor. These areas weaken visitors, but the Light of Eärendil can counteract this darkness. Your character will see a Shadow and Light Rating, which will help you understand the threat posed by the Shadow. Items that grant Light of Eärendil can be found in Mordor.

Classes
    • Above level 105, class trait points are awarded at levels 108, 111, and 114.
    • Beorning:
    • Beorning skills no longer work through walls.
    • Sacrifice bonus wrath generation now lasts 20 seconds, up from 12 seconds.
    • Nature's Mend no longer behaves like a wrath consuming skill.
    • Grimbeorn's Spirit and Bond of Trust no longer override each other.
    • Vicious Claws will only refresh one instance of Bash bleed, and no longer remove others.
    • Claw Swipe and Slash bleeds no longer replace each other.
    • Expose now affects all Beorning damage skills.
    • Fate stat contributions have been improved.

Crafting
    • Tier 11 crafting is now available for every profession. A full new crafting tier is now available for level 115 items. No new Craft Guild tier is required.
    • Five new resource instances are now available to help crafters acquire the ingredients necessary for Tier 11 crafting.

Emotes
    • The Smoking animation will no longer hitch when starting, and the character will immediately move when breaking out of the emote.

Items
    • Landscape treasure containers can be found throughout Gorgoroth, and can be found in both common and uncommon versions.
    • Item levels in Mordor now range up into the 300s.
    • Ash of Gorgoroth system: This system allows players to break down unused or unwanted Mordor equipment into Ash of Gorgoroth, which can then be used to purchase new equipment from a vendor. Some items cannot be deconstructed. Each Crafting Profession also has a new recipe to create an item that can be deconstructed.

Legendary Items
    • The Imbued Legendary Item level cap has been increased. There are now ten additional levels for Legacies, five of which can be unlocked, and five of which are granted for free.

Monsters
    • Some monster AI behavior has been improved.

NPCs
    • Fixed the pose for Heburga in East Rohan.

PvMP
    • Monster players can now be level 115.

Quests and Adventure Areas
    • Several typos have been corrected in the Anniversary Scavenger Hunt.
    • In the Quest: Scouting the Wild, the white stone marker being searched for is no longer obscured by a large bush.
    • The waypoint teleportation horse in the Dead Marshes is no longer hiding in tall reeds.
    • The name "Instance: One Hope Remains" is now consistent when replayed from the Reflecting Pool.
    • Various floating stumps in the Pelennor Fields have been reintroduced to the ground.
    • In the Wastes, a scrap deposit was lowered to within reach of prospectors, flickering water was removed, and some invisible physics were adjusted to match the surroundings.

UI
    • A title and second 10 Year VIP Portrait Frame are now available to qualified players.
    • Settings that are saved in the userpreferences.ini file, such as graphics preferences, are now saved to disk when the character options panel is closed. This should reduce the risk of settings being unexpectedly lost.
    • There are four new options in the advanced graphics options page:
    • Frill Density: Specifies the percentage of frills that are loaded. Use a lower setting for better performance.
    • Dynamic Particle Rendering: This is an experimental setting that allows you to select which particle effects to render on dynamic objects such as your player and NPCs. Note that some effects will still play even when disabled and you may lose important feedback.
    • Static Environmental Objects: Enables particle effects on motionless environmental objects such as braziers and lanterns. Disabling this setting will improve rendering performance in areas with many environmental particle effects.
    • Precipitation Effects: Enables weather effects such as rain and snow.
    • Updated the Overall Graphics Quality defaults for the Frill Density and Frill Distance settings:
    • Very Low = 0.0
    • Low = 0.25 ( Frill Distance has been changed from none to low )
    • Medium = 0.5 ( Frill Distance has been changed from low to medium )
    • High = 0.75
    • Very High = 1.0
    • Ultra High = 1.0

Miscellaneous
    • Fixed a floating chest in East Rohan.
    • A quest has been added to the E&G Tavern for auto-completing Volume IV Book 8, 'The Black Gate'
    Last edited by Tybur; Jul 07 2017 at 10:44 PM.

Bullroarer is open. The notes are still in progress.
    We look forward to hearing your feedback and receiving your bug reports.
    Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

I hope this thread is an appropriate place for feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybur View Post
    New since last preview:
    [LIST=1][*]Early elements of the avatar update can be seen in this build on human models. You will note a toggle in the character generation UI that allows you to see the original or updated appearance for each option. We would love your feedback on the changes in the human female faces and the human male faces and hair styles. It is possible that appearance versioning of existing characters is not working properly, so please let us know if you notice glaring differences between your copied live character and a character created on Bullroarer with the same options.
    As a hobby I love to draw, especially the human figure and especially portraiture. I have been hoping to recreate one of my main characters ever since the avatar revamps were announced. That level of customization is my hope for the end product, to give you an idea of where I am coming from.

This post deals solely with Women avatars. I know you specifically say 'early elements', but I thought it best to address all bugs and all suggestions as early as possible in the process.

SET-UP
    • DX11, Ultra high graphics.
    • 24 in monitor
    • Testing on the Gondor palate.

OVERALL APPEARANCE
    • I think that the female model should be a bit higher on the screen when zoomed in. When zoomed in fully I cannot see the longer hair-styles completely, and it would be much more useful to see *more* of her, not less of her. I would love the ability to look at her from different angles as well (high and low as opposed to just zooming in/out and around).
    • There is an ugly line between updated model's face and the neck, giving a pixellated look at their juncture. The ears suffer similar issues, and do not look to be updated.

HEAD
    • Excepting option #3, the only thing that changes ON the head is the nose. There is no change in eyebrow positioning, jawline, cheekbone structure, and other aspects. To be entirely honest, I think the minimum for a satisfying character customization would be to split out noses and bone structure of the head itself. Even more would be preferable, but that at least would be a start, to split out type of head, then type of nose. Since the 'head' does not change anything BUT the nose on most of them already, it seems like a logical step if resources are available for it. Here is a good example of various head shapes, especially relating to the jaw. All the faces seem to be heart-shaped or oblong. Regardless, I was disappointed in the current head optimization department. Noses are not quite enough.
    • It's difficult to tell due to the inability to change angle, but the nostrils on 2 and 9 look a bit too long (mostly #2; 9 works better with tips of noses that are lower, or at least that is what I could find from quick facial feature searching).

HAIR
    • Hair-styles 1 and 23 do not apply an updated look.
    • The hair styles that pull back hair into a bun or otherwise expose the neck and ear are not centered correctly. This is especially apparent on the avatar's left side.
    • PLEASE do not shorten the long hair as you have done here! The edges of the hair are shorter in their new versions. Human females already have to deal with a disproportionate amount of short haircuts; add a few inches to the long hair, or at least make it as long as it was before.
    • SUGGESTION: As mentioned, the lack of long-hair options has always been rather disappointing. Male Elves get better hair options than Women do. But Elf females have a lot of lovely hair styles, and I know that a lot of human hair styles would look good on Elf females. Why not combine their options? Throw a TP cost if you must, but as they are already options that exist in the game, my hope would be that you could add more tables to the hair database and more or less put in the same graphic.

EYES
    I have... strong opinions about the original artist who thought 'eye options' should be eye shadow options *cough* What should be the focus instead is eye shapes. Here's another little collection of images for eye shapes. I think the wrinkles (and, sure, eye shadow...) are great for ADDITIONAL eye options, but not as a the MAIN eye slot. Those can be eye details.

EYEBROWS
    No noticeable changes I can spot.

MOUTH
    The amount of different mouths is basically what eye (ahem, shapes) the head (shape), and uh, the new hypothetical noses-only slot should ideally look like. I admit I find it still amusing that, barring hair, it was the mouth that got the most attention in the original design.

DETAILS
    No noticeable change. Would not mind another dozen detail ideas (such as a blinded eye, different scars, so on).

I look forward to further iterations of the graphical revamp.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Female high elf creation screen

Hair has improved. I still think the straight styles look like you just got out of a swimming pool. I don't see any difference between head styles 1 and 2, and little if any between them and 4. Faces have improved as well. I actually like a few of them. Some have an interesting effect where the shape of brow makes them look worried/sad. Not egregiously so, though. The nose on head style 9 is extreme.

Edited to add: I see what others have been saying about the eyes being too dark. I think the green side is fine, but the blues don't let you really find a light blue (Gondolin elves). I'd like to be able to find an icy blue that almost glows, or like clear sky near the horizon.

Edited again: I actually can see the balding on the character creation screen; I didn't realize it depends on the head style - the ones with the hole behind the ear (that's still there) have the bald crown/back of head. The others have a bald patch behind the ears, as someone posted pics of in a high elf thread. Also, the jawline on head 5 doesn't quite line up with the neck, so as you turn it you can see the background glint through. Less significant than the holes and baldness though. Similar disjointedness where hand meets wrist. Most of the eyebrows are too short - they look dramatically overtrimmed or even penciled in. Elves shouldn't need to paint their faces on.. and the high elf female still looks like she's curving her back so far she should tip over.

In-game appearance

The female high elf has a baldness issue. The hairstyle I chose (the short braid-tail) looked fine in creation, but in game half the back of the head is bald, and most head gear clips horrendously.

I could see some of the starting armour this time, including the shoes. Some footwear and gloves are visible (yay!). Dressing room/character window zoom still bugged, ranged weapon still on the ground, etc.

Intro/Prologue

There's a high elf prologue now! Short, but there. It's still really awkward to say you've been in a millennia-long coma, but at least there's some effort to rope you into the storyline now...I didn't hang around Celondim to find out yet, but is the brief convo with the elf brothers really the end of the prologue? That still leaves us hanging between level 5 and picking up chapter 1 in Bree, and right by the start of others' prologue.

While I was talking to Taerthon, some auto-bestow quests were auto-declined; this closed the speech window I had open with him & I had to talk to him again to finish reading.

I also noticed that my elf no longer stands up while mumbling in the intro/waking up scene, but still floats a bit above the bed.
    Last edited by Arestelle; Jul 08 2017 at 01:41 AM.
    § Elendilmir refugee on Ark §

§ Aerynsol . 29 | Arestelle . 115 | Calairiel . 42 | Gwaewen . 41 | Iadessea . 26 | Magrith . 37 | Melaidhrin . 29 | Miraear . 29 | Muiriol . 113 | Nephra . 21 §

§ miraear's threads: a cosmetic history §

Quote Originally Posted by Tybur View Post
    Bullroarer is open. The notes are still in progress.
    We look forward to hearing your feedback and receiving your bug reports.
    Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
    Where do you want the feedback?

RE: High Elf,

Visuals: Nice improvement from last round, though there are some technical issues. I had an instance of hair clipping through the head in the character creator, but was unable to replicate the issue. Some of the hair styles seem blurry. Eyebrow #8 for female high elf turns the eyes grey.

Starter instance: Still need a better weapon than a club with nails in it. And some snazzy armor would be lovely.
    Aethelbehrt ~ Captain of Landroval
    Haradwen ~ Warden of Landroval
    Zôraphel ~ Burglar of Landroval

Some hair issues with the male figure.

Note that the ears look much better, but the neck /head join is still rather peculiar, maybe even worse because the customisable section of the head is now larger, extending back to include ears and the back of the head. It wouldn't be as noticeable if the colouring matched a bit better.

Cardemel of Mirkwood - a Hunter with Cír Amdir
    Capkatt Stinkspit - a Warleader fetching sticks
    Cardhad of erm Somewhere - a Warden doin.. uh.. what? where?

Some improvement on the female high-elf appearances, although I still find them masculine-looking and very unattractive.

Elven features are supposed to be delicate - the elven NPCs (including the one who greets us as we start the intro, Lady-what's-her-name) have that look. The female high-elf avatar does not - frankly it looks homely.

The straight hair styles are still hideous.

Also, it is still jarring and immersion-breaking that we are in an instance hob-nobbing with the most elite leaders of Middle-earth, and literally everyone in the instance except us is arrayed in fine-looking battle regalia. We, on the other hand are carrying a stick with a nail through it as as our weapon (Captain) and wearing an outfit that looks like it was looted off a starving brigand.

The Lord of the Nazgul's "attack" on us still looks ridiculously wrong.

I thought the transition quests in Celondim were a good addition, and eliminated the lack of quest continuity that existed before.

I looked briefly at some of the human avatar replacements for my characters. I liked the change for my man LM - it wasn't dramatic, but made him look a bit more formidable and serious.

The change for my Woman warden wasn't very noticeable...not terrible, but I didn't love it either.
    Dagoreth (Warden) and Belechannas (Lore-master) of Arkenstone

< No Dorfs >
    Fighting the Dorf menace to Middle Earth since 2008

Seriously, guys... I log the F in and I get this?

The posture, man! At this point, you can just give me the purchase button and I'll just pound on it. I mean it, I love it, no joke.

Started testing today and it really feels like a first round of BR, not like a 3rd.
    Still lots of DNT and TBD everywhere, highelf starting stuff nearly everything untranslated.

After checking out the highelf, which I feel is okay but I still dont see a reason to really play one... but fine if it makes money...
    I started playing the new zone with my guardian.
    Questing/fighting landscape mobs has never been so tedious. I actually avoid fights, because it takes litterally forever to kill something.
    I can still pull 5 enemies and kill them at once with redline, but its soooo boring if it takes forever. Sometimes, hunters and RKs came along and litterally killed enemies without even stopping... and I stand there and need to fight forever... or just ignore all enemies that are not relevant for my quests even though they try to kill me. Thats just no fun.
    Besides fighting, I actually like what I saw in Mordor. However, its not much as I got annoyed so much that I just stopped after an hour or so. Maybe I should just level with wargpens or something like that and come back to mordor later... dunno... but thats just awful
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

My thoughts on the High Elf:

First off, it seems a bit inaccurate from a lore perspective to even have a separate High Elf race. They are not an entirely different race from their Sindarin counterparts, but receive their "high" status from having lived in Valinor. I am sure many players already imagined their existing Elf characters as High Elves for roleplaying purposes. Does the release of a new High Elf playable race thereby invalidate the lore they invented for the characters they have been playing for years?

That said, if you are going to do it you might as well do a good job on it, so here are my thoughts on the High Elf playable race as it currently stands (I only looked at the male appearances):

Face shapes- A little rough around the edges, but still promising. They look suitably noble.
    Hair- Longer hair styles are still kind of stringy. Shorter ones look pretty good, though.
    Eyes- I can’t really see any difference when I try to change the color.
    Body shape- Does not scale very well. Character ends up looking either chunky or gangly, not really graceful.

I don’t really like the run animation- it looks like prancing. Walking looks fine. The whole rolling thing is silly unless you are jumping from very high-- please increase the height you must jump from to activate the roll animation.

The whole intro in the Last Alliance is pretty cool. I agree with all the people who have commented saying you need better-looking armor and weapons, befitting a warrior of the Last Alliance. The Time-Worn Armor you receive from Elrond didn't show up on my character; I assume it is still in the design stages. A couple other bugs I noticed: Prince Amroth is bald, and the animation when the Witch King stabs you is not right.

One criticism of the story: having the character sleep for 3000 years after receiving the Morgul wound is ridiculous. Frodo took only a couple of months to recover! A better way to do it would be to have you recover within a few months, and then have you retire to Rivendell and live quietly for the duration of the Third Age before deciding to go to the Havens because the pain of your old wound still bothers you. There is no reason you need to be asleep that whole time. That said, the room where you wake up in Rivendell is beautiful.

Most of the new racial traits seem very good. The Run speed boost, light damage boost, 5% damage boost for fellowship are all great. A couple of the other ones seem much less good, though. +2 Will for Those Who Remain seems way too low to be consequential even at low levels, unless it scales with the level of your character. And the 3s stun with 30 min cool down is really lousy. Make the cool down much shorter or no one will use it. The out-of-combat rez function is a cool idea, but not very useful: several classes have it already, and for the ones that don't it won't be of much use. In my opinion, it would be better to have an in-combat rez with a very long cool down, like 1 hr. That would open up some interesting possibilities for non-healer classes without being too OP.

Finally, it's nice to be able to play the Captain class as an Elf, but some of the skill names (Blade of Elendil, Oathbreakers, etc.) and class titles (Inspiration to Men), and all of the herald cosmetic options, are much too geared towards the race of Men. Please at least make some Elven herald options to make the High Elf race an attractive option for Captains.

Quote Originally Posted by finrod911 View Post
    My thoughts on the High Elf:

First off, it seems a bit inaccurate from a lore perspective to even have a separate High Elf race. They are not an entirely different race from their Sindarin counterparts, but receive their "high" status from having lived in Valinor. I am sure many players already imagined their existing Elf characters as High Elves for roleplaying purposes. Does the release of a new High Elf playable race thereby invalidate the lore they invented for the characters they have been playing for years?
    No s***. I've played my Elf since the beta of the game (remade for release after mandatory server wipe), and always RPed as a High Elf. Now, SSG tells me I was wrong all those years.

I am not going to delete this character and restart all that I've done, not to mention memories attached to her that can't be recreated.

I don't see the point in High Elf the way they are now. Old players like myself already have tons of alts, likely of all the classes they are interested in. This is not a new class. New players might be interested, even though they'd have to pay for it, but let's face it, Lotro is not getting younger. At this point it would have been better to target old player, and inactive ones over potential new player, since the targeted audience would be bigger in that case. If you didn't play LOTRO for the past 10years, High Elves are unlikely to be the determining factor for you to start playing.

I would pay more for a race change option, limited to changing elf into high elf. Kinda similar to the reincarnation stuff on DDO. I would have paid for it, on top of the high elf. As is, I'm not interested by the high elf. I might take it, but let's face it, I have thousands of TP, it's basically free for me, I "bought" the Beorning for the starting clothing after all...

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but I'm p*** by the way you guys handle it.

I like the High Elf intro quest, but at the point where you run up the stairs to confront the witch-king there is still that bug that you are suddenly transported to Rivendell, find yourself in bed and unable to move, but the Quest still tells you to confront the witch-king. I filed a bug report about this, but it makes testing somewhat tedious, having to do /unstuck and running all the way back there ...

EDIT: I can't even run around that top structure without getting ported to Rivendell. Unable to finish intro ...
    There's something good in this world, and it is worth fighting for.

Quote Originally Posted by Daguest View Post
    No s***. I've played my Elf since the beta of the game (remade for release after mandatory server wipe), and always RPed as a High Elf. Now, SSG tells me I was wrong all those years.

I am not going to delete this character and restart all that I've done, not to mention memories attached to her that can't be recreated.

I don't see the point in High Elf the way they are now. Old players like myself already have tons of alts, likely of all the classes they are interested in. This is not a new class. New players might be interested, even though they'd have to pay for it, but let's face it, Lotro is not getting younger. At this point it would have been better to target old player, and inactive ones over potential new player, since the targeted audience would be bigger in that case. If you didn't play LOTRO for the past 10years, High Elves are unlikely to be the determining factor for you to start playing.

I would pay more for a race change option, limited to changing elf into high elf. Kinda similar to the reincarnation stuff on DDO. I would have paid for it, on top of the high elf. As is, I'm not interested by the high elf. I might take it, but let's face it, I have thousands of TP, it's basically free for me, I "bought" the Beorning for the starting clothing after all...

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but I'm p*** by the way you guys handle it.
    I have been rping my huntress as a lady of Nargothrond way before high elves were announced, she won't stop being a lady of Nargothrond because years later new avatar with a title will be in the game. You are not rping wrong, I'm not and nobody has been rping wrong all these years, exactly because nobody could have forseen high elves years ago. Your elf story is still valid. And the devs already said there will not be a race change, at least not in the forseable future, here is the quote.

excerpt from the interview at MMOCentral: http://www.mmo-central.com/2017/01/3...g-stone-games/

MMO-C: All right, fair enough. While it was mentioned on your last stream, Cordovan, I’m not sure if the person in chat made their suggestion clear based on your response. They were asking whether paid race or class changes would be possible, like you can change your race and faction on other games. For example, we have RPers who have been roleplaying that they’ve been a High Elf the past ten years, or folks like me. If I’d had my druthers and High Elf was in at day one, an Elf captain, that’s me, I’d’ve been that. So, rerolling an old character to keep the name you’ve had for so long or as a kin leader, that’s going to cause a major hassle. Will race changes and class changes be an option?

Snook: I was talking to some of the LotRO team this morning about that particular question. The big challenge we have with, say, racial respeccing that we don’t have in Dungeons and Dragons Online is our races are limited in class options in Lord of the Rings Online. So that respeccing process has a layer of engineering work that’s required that makes it difficult to see us doing that for the High Elf here. Ultimately in terms of the name issue, we do have renaming options available, so someone could you know rename their regular Elf and then make a High Elf character for that. But for being able to respec from one race to another, it’s just not on our short-term agenda here.

Ciccolini: I don’t think that we’d be able to implement that in time for Mordor. Even if we started pursuing it today, that would be a tremendous amount of work and the LotRO tech for races is, it just doesn’t… it’s not set up to allow that. I mean, technically anything is possible in these games, but I don’t foresee us being able to do that for Mordor, and after that is, you know, is that what we want to be spending our precious engineering resource times on? Maybe? But it wouldn’t be, it won’t be for awhile, so I wouldn’t expect to have that for Mordor or shortly thereafter.
    Last edited by miriadel; Jul 08 2017 at 02:15 PM.
    My Lotro blog :)

Quote Originally Posted by Laire View Post
    I hope this thread is an appropriate place for feedback.

As a hobby I love to draw, especially the human figure and especially portraiture. I have been hoping to recreate one of my main characters ever since the avatar revamps were announced. That level of customization is my hope for the end product, to give you an idea of where I am coming from.

This post deals solely with Women avatars. I know you specifically say 'early elements', but I thought it best to address all bugs and all suggestions as early as possible in the process.

SET-UP
    • DX11, Ultra high graphics.
    • 24 in monitor
    • Testing on the Gondor palate.

OVERALL APPEARANCE
    • I think that the female model should be a bit higher on the screen when zoomed in. When zoomed in fully I cannot see the longer hair-styles completely, and it would be much more useful to see *more* of her, not less of her. I would love the ability to look at her from different angles as well (high and low as opposed to just zooming in/out and around).
    • There is an ugly line between updated model's face and the neck, giving a pixellated look at their juncture. The ears suffer similar issues, and do not look to be updated.

HEAD
    • Excepting option #3, the only thing that changes ON the head is the nose. There is no change in eyebrow positioning, jawline, cheekbone structure, and other aspects. To be entirely honest, I think the minimum for a satisfying character customization would be to split out noses and bone structure of the head itself. Even more would be preferable, but that at least would be a start, to split out type of head, then type of nose. Since the 'head' does not change anything BUT the nose on most of them already, it seems like a logical step if resources are available for it. Here is a good example of various head shapes, especially relating to the jaw. All the faces seem to be heart-shaped or oblong. Regardless, I was disappointed in the current head optimization department. Noses are not quite enough.
    • It's difficult to tell due to the inability to change angle, but the nostrils on 2 and 9 look a bit too long (mostly #2; 9 works better with tips of noses that are lower, or at least that is what I could find from quick facial feature searching).

HAIR
    • Hair-styles 1 and 23 do not apply an updated look.
    • The hair styles that pull back hair into a bun or otherwise expose the neck and ear are not centered correctly. This is especially apparent on the avatar's left side.
    • PLEASE do not shorten the long hair as you have done here! The edges of the hair are shorter in their new versions. Human females already have to deal with a disproportionate amount of short haircuts; add a few inches to the long hair, or at least make it as long as it was before.
    • SUGGESTION: As mentioned, the lack of long-hair options has always been rather disappointing. Male Elves get better hair options than Women do. But Elf females have a lot of lovely hair styles, and I know that a lot of human hair styles would look good on Elf females. Why not combine their options? Throw a TP cost if you must, but as they are already options that exist in the game, my hope would be that you could add more tables to the hair database and more or less put in the same graphic.

EYES
    I have... strong opinions about the original artist who thought 'eye options' should be eye shadow options *cough* What should be the focus instead is eye shapes. Here's another little collection of images for eye shapes. I think the wrinkles (and, sure, eye shadow...) are great for ADDITIONAL eye options, but not as a the MAIN eye slot. Those can be eye details.

EYEBROWS
    No noticeable changes I can spot.

MOUTH
    The amount of different mouths is basically what eye (ahem, shapes) the head (shape), and uh, the new hypothetical noses-only slot should ideally look like. I admit I find it still amusing that, barring hair, it was the mouth that got the most attention in the original design.

DETAILS
    No noticeable change. Would not mind another dozen detail ideas (such as a blinded eye, different scars, so on).

I look forward to further iterations of the graphical revamp.

I checked out my old and new avatar for my man female captain. What really bothers me is the size of the pupil. My captain has big blue eyes. The pupils have become a lot smaller. There should be different eye shapes as you pointed out but also different pupil sizes. Because of this I probably stick with my old avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Oelle View Post
    Questing/fighting landscape mobs has never been so tedious. I actually avoid fights, because it takes litterally forever to kill something.
    I can still pull 5 enemies and kill them at once with redline, but its soooo boring if it takes forever. Sometimes, hunters and RKs came along and litterally killed enemies without even stopping... and I stand there and need to fight forever... or just ignore all enemies that are not relevant for my quests even though they try to kill me. Thats just no fun.
    This is a problem for me as well. Between the stat inflation and the now massive amounts of morale on enemies, combat has become a grind. Theres no reason just any old regular mob in something like Iobar's Peak or Goblin Throne room to have 480k morale. Its insane, and honestly it takes the fun out of combat.

Quote Originally Posted by theultimatekyle View Post
    This is a problem for me as well. Between the stat inflation and the now massive amounts of morale on enemies, combat has become a grind. Theres no reason just any old regular mob in something like Iobar's Peak or Goblin Throne room to have 480k morale. Its insane, and honestly it takes the fun out of combat.
    well... in instances that are meant to be grouped, actually there is a reason for higher morale that prevents oneshotting trashmobs
    However, I agree that there are levels that are fine and those that are not.
    In case of landscape, its totally fine if you are a class with a real dps traitline... its just #### if you are a guardian that has none.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

The duck-n-roll is a bit over done. (looks like someone plays SWTOR). Please put in a toggle to turn it on/off or only have it engage when you jump from a very high spot (non lethal jump). The animation gets cut off if the jump is from a low height and the visual jar is similar to war-steed-motion-sickness.

There is a /bug if you select your hobbit present and take an armour box. When you open the hobbit box and get the select option and then view the Dressing Room for the armour piece and zoom in - you end up way past your avatar in the background. The /bug is in the dressing room zoom function.

It would be nice but maybe not possible to delineate the invisible walls some within the battle field. Bumping up against them with the sliding sideways doesn't really give a good indication of which way to go, it only shows you cannot go there.

Female High Elf looks like she could spit a balrog.... I do like that the body type option does not have over-amped female attributes.

The High Elf and Elf intro movies are the same. (presume this is a temp holder)

The Male High Elf is ok but the face... looks like a long horse face. The jaw line is too pronounced.

There's nothing graceful about the High Elf. There's nothing "special". It looks fine but what's the point of High Elf and Elf? They do the same things (except captain). It might be better to have something unique to High Elf that a regular elf cannot do. Provide an auto-upgrade to regular elves for those items if there's a class clash.
    ex: High Elf Captain only
    ex: Regular Elf No Captain but OK for all other classes

or

ex: High Elf Captain + Minstrel
    ex: Regular Elf auto-upgrades to High Elf for all Elf-Minstrels

The Wake Up Room in Elrond's House is very nice but very cramped. When I came too my camera was wedged in the canopy and all I could see was red across my screen. I had to rotate my camera 180 to free the view from the canopy.

The room is very cramped. The camera is shifting a lot and its easy to get "swirled" trying to look around. If the room scaled a bit bigger and the path a less invaded by sideline objects it would be easier to navigate.

General impression of High Elf: There is no way that a High Elf would be L5 and defeatable by Dora Brownlock's wolves. This character should enter the world at least at L50 or L75.
    Last edited by SabrielofLorien; Jul 08 2017 at 08:34 PM.
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by Oelle View Post
    well... in instances that are meant to be grouped, actually there is a reason for higher morale that prevents oneshotting trashmobs
    However, I agree that there are levels that are fine and those that are not.
    In case of landscape, its totally fine if you are a class with a real dps traitline... its just #### if you are a guardian that has none.
    I totally understand them increasing damage from mobs, and maybe a small morale increase along with it. That way a three man will require a tank and a healer, and only one dps. But many of the dps classes are getting damage nerfs too, and when you add it to the now huge mob morale pools, it just feels like every little fight is gonna take forever.

I totally understand them increasing damage from mobs, and maybe a small morale increase along with it. That way a three man will require a tank and a healer, and only one dps. But many of the dps classes are getting damage nerfs too, and when you add it to the now huge mob morale pools, it just feels like every little fight is gonna take forever.
    Thing is , it doesn't matter if they increase enemy damage even by 500%.
    If morale levels stayed the same ( similar to live ) it would still be kill before getting killed , aka roll with 3 dps or 1 tank and 2 dps.
    There would not be any need for healer , no way..

At least with current situation on beta , you will have your wish come true ; D Back to holy trinity even for 3 mans.

It will be a hard change for a lot of people , certainly , because we are too used to 2-3 critshotting everything with dps classes , in scaled 3mans at least.
    It had to happen at some point though ; d

For me that's one of the most exciting things Mordor seems to bring to the table.

Its beyond preventing us from just killing mobs in two or three hits, this is turning all instances into huge time sinks. Even short, simple instances will take four or five times longer to complete. Its not making the instances more difficult-- theres no harder or more exciting mechanic to work with. Its just making it take longer. Its going to make every fight and every instance feel like a grind.

Its beyond preventing us from just killing mobs in two or three hits, this is turning all instances into huge time sinks. Even short, simple instances will take four or five times longer to complete. Its not making the instances more difficult-- theres no harder or more exciting mechanic to work with. Its just making it take longer. Its going to make every fight and every instance feel like a grind.
    If this should be the case FIs will not be as easily filled as now. I can see in LFF that Sword Halls fill really quick and another one forms. Goblin Throne room got maybe half the calls because it takes longer and is not easy. Barad Guldur this week gets maybe 2 calls in an hour if even that.

Instances will certainly take longer , but there's no need to exaggerate and create false impressions : ) A t1 run , like FIs won't take '4-5' times longer like you imply ^^
    Not unless you roll on a 3man solo , and still , even then , it depends on the class and gameplay.....
    You are basically saying a sword hall run will take 25 minutes instead of 5. #facepalm

As for mechanics , allow me ask , have you ever played any of the scaled instances on release ?
    Most of the more recent players don't even know what mechanics each instance has... Because there is simply no need to know . Everything dies on live so fast and the enemy damage is so low that almost no real mechanic ever comes to play. The only thing players currently watch out for , is the occasional reflect.

I'll spare you any references to t1 , lol , let's skip straight to the 'hard' stuff.
    I've recently rolled on some t2c scaled instances on live , playing an alt for completing deeds.
    I can give you dozens of examples but i'll limit myself to a couple.
    Northcotton farm challenge , there is no need to slap a hobbit , the cauldron dies before the first one even walks to the end , all that while tanking every single poison eye puddle ofc , which does so low damage that you don't even have to care , doesn't matter if u have healer or not.
    Durin's bane on OD fear wing t2c. Current tactic on live : Stand behind him and nuke.
    This was one of the best fights ever released back in Enedwaith. You used to move around the platform , utilising all the room for dropping fire puddles , while dealing with the special ''face'' him attack ( with RKs etc ) and dealing with knockbacks and yanks.
    The list goes on and on...
    So yeah , no 'new' mechanics but at least some of the existing ones will come into play again , and that's with minimal dev work.

Ow , and keep in mind this didn't start with ''OP'' wastes and raid gear. It was the same many months ago. ( i did try them then too )
    Scaled instances are simply way too weak on live atm and Mordor is a step towards the right direction.
    And no , you don't have to be l33t kid with no-life to ''achieve'' the above.
    Look at the FIs , people go in with 0 gear , sometimes 0 knowledge of the class too ( freshly valared and warg-pened ) and get the job done without a single wipe or even close...
    Don't get me wrong , now that i've seen Mordor instance situation , i believe FIs should remain t1 and accessible to EVERYONE. And they will be.

No need to nerf.

Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    If this should be the case FIs will not be as easily filled as now. I can see in LFF that Sword Halls fill really quick and another one forms. Goblin Throne room got maybe half the calls because it takes longer and is not easy. Barad Guldur this week gets maybe 2 calls in an hour if even that.
    Maybe , although number 1 factor on attendance is reward , not time required to complete. I am sure FIs are slowly becoming meaningless for quite a few players on live after so many months.
    The grind for emps is finally coming to an end even for the slower player ^^

Quote Originally Posted by BotLike View Post
    Instances will certainly take longer , but there's no need to exaggerate and create false impressions : ) A t1 run , like FIs won't take '4-5' times longer like you imply ^^
    Not unless you roll on a 3man solo , and still , even then , it depends on the class and gameplay.....
    You are basically saying a sword hall run will take 25 minutes instead of 5. #facepalm

As for mechanics , allow me ask , have you ever played any of the scaled instances on release ?
    Most of the more recent players don't even know what mechanics each instance has... Because there is simply no need to know . Everything dies on live so fast and the enemy damage is so low that almost no real mechanic ever comes to play. The only thing players currently watch out for , is the occasional reflect.

I'll spare you any references to t1 , lol , let's skip straight to the 'hard' stuff.
    I've recently rolled on some t2c scaled instances on live , playing an alt for completing deeds.
    I can give you dozens of examples but i'll limit myself to a couple.
    Northcotton farm challenge , there is no need to slap a hobbit , the cauldron dies before the first one even walks to the end , all that while tanking every single poison eye puddle ofc , which does so low damage that you don't even have to care , doesn't matter if u have healer or not.
    Durin's bane on OD fear wing t2c. Current tactic on live : Stand behind him and nuke.
    This was one of the best fights ever released back in Enedwaith. You used to move around the platform , utilising all the room for dropping fire puddles , while dealing with the special ''face'' him attack ( with RKs etc ) and dealing with knockbacks and yanks.
    The list goes on and on...
    So yeah , no 'new' mechanics but at least some of the existing ones will come into play again , and that's with minimal dev work.

Ow , and keep in mind this didn't start with ''OP'' wastes and raid gear. It was the same many months ago. ( i did try them then too )
    Scaled instances are simply way too weak on live atm and Mordor is a step towards the right direction.
    And no , you don't have to be l33t kid with no-life to ''achieve'' the above.
    Look at the FIs , people go in with 0 gear , sometimes 0 knowledge of the class too ( freshly valared and warg-pened ) and get the job done without a single wipe or even close...
    Don't get me wrong , now that i've seen Mordor instance situation , i believe FIs should remain t1 and accessible to EVERYONE. And they will be.

No need to nerf.

Maybe , although number 1 factor on attendance is reward , not time required to complete. I am sure FIs are slowly becoming meaningless for quite a few players on live after so many months.
    The grind for emps is finally coming to an end even for the slower player ^^
    No one is creating false impressions mate. And we're most certainly discussing t2 runs. I've even bothered testing t1.
    With the stat over inflation, to get stat caps, players will have to sacrifice mastery, and higher mastery is required now for the same amount of damage. My test hunter on beta needed 170K mastery to equal 80K mastery's damage on live. So players are already taking a damage nerf, lowering damage to below current live damage.
    On top of that, unless ssg scales the skills in a later build, sure strike buffs and anthem of war buffs become much less potent.
    This would force a mini to use an unimbued book for anthem buffs at 115, hamstringing their ability to heal in yellow. This will force many groups to rely on a blue mini again.
    This would be all fine and well, but dps classes are losing set bonuses too.
    We'll be doing less damage with mob Morales that float between 3 and 5 times higher than currentl cap.
    If you're happy with t1 runs and casual play, that's great. It's a game, you enjoy it.
    But not a lot of raiders I know are looking forward to the amount of time any simple t2 run will take

No one is creating false impressions mate. And we're most certainly discussing t2 runs. I've even bothered testing t1.
    With the stat over inflation, to get stat caps, players will have to sacrifice mastery, and higher mastery is required now for the same amount of damage. My test hunter on beta needed 170K mastery to equal 80K mastery's damage on live. So players are already taking a damage nerf, lowering damage to below current live damage.
    On top of that, unless ssg scales the skills in a later build, sure strike buffs and anthem of war buffs become much less potent.
    So far you are right.
    And yes , the dps we do is actually a bit lower on 115 cap than currently on live.
    However , that's because of the mob mitigations and stats , crit defence included i believe. Haven't done detailed tests cause it would require multiple classes.
    Skill damage is greatly increased. ( I checked tooltips on my minny )
    On an instance environment this will most likely be bypassed by debuffs , to some point at least.

This would force a mini to use an unimbued book for anthem buffs at 115, hamstringing their ability to heal in yellow. This will force many groups to rely on a blue mini again.
    This would be all fine and well, but dps classes are losing set bonuses too.
    We'll be doing less damage with mob Morales that float between 3 and 5 times higher than currentl cap.
    If you're happy with t1 runs and casual play, that's great. It's a game, you enjoy it.
    But not a lot of raiders I know are looking forward to the amount of time any simple t2 run will take
    Why on earth would a minny use an unimbued book , i am totally brainstormed.............

I am mostly doing t2 runs and i am cheering like crazy with those changes. Anything other than the easy modeness on live is good in my eyes.
    The only instance i worry about is throne , haven't been able to join a group for it. However , i did join t2 scaled instance like RC and DoS and the difficulty is FINE.
    And i'll have to insist once again ; ) It's nowhere near 4-5 longer to complete ..

That said , i respect your opinion , take care.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast