We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    The problem with Hobnanigans is that it takes 6 people to start a game. You can't force people to play with others, it just doesn't happen. Every other event that happens in lotro land has individual quests and tasks that people can do solo, or with a buddy or two (3 man min). But Hobnanigans has nothing for the solo or small group. Our Kinship, Faramir's Army is one of the largest kinships on the Winfola server and it took all night to get 12 people to sign up and play a game on the big field.

What happened during our first kinship run 12 man game?

It bugged out when the chicken got stuck high in the sky and never came down. So, we ran it again.

What happened during our second kinship run 12 man game?

The chicken got stuck again outside the field of play next to the quest guy and no one could get the chicken back in play again.

So, after that, no one ran the 12 man hobnanigans again because the game mechanics are bugged for games involving many players. When the chicken wasn't out of play, then it quickly got kicked into a wall and seemed to stick to it like glue. So, will any kinship ever try to run another Hobnanigans 12 man game again? No. It simply isn't worth it until the bugs are fixed.

So what about the smaller fields? Well, you still need 6 people for that too don't ya?

Conclusion: So, the kinship event is not worth it because of bugs, the 6 man fields are full of alts because it takes too long to wait for 6 people to start a game, and there is nothing for the solo player to do in this event. What does this mean? Hobnanigans is in need a redesign and a lot of work. Right now, it is more exclusive than inclusive.

I propose that if the chicken does not move for 30 seconds (or even less), it teleports back to the starting position. This should solve the problems of chickens stuck out of play in a simple manner. Perhaps also if it only moves a little bit in that time, to account for chickens stuck in corners that are getting endlessly booted back and forth.

My wife and I had a blast! We thought it was a great idea to break up the monotony of the game.

I had noticed afkers were causing a problem, and there was someone that kept stacking one team with level 15 alts to cheat at token farming. My wife and I reported it early in the weekend, but it seemed nothing was done about it. I can't imagine Turbine would tolerate it, but maybe you guys had bigger fish to fry that weekend.

A few changes I would like to recommend:

1. Find some way to catch afk cheating. Maybe do this by shortening the afk timer when playing the game, or allow for other players to act as a third party ref and call a foul that will either eject players, reset the game, award the tokens to the ref as punishment to the players . . . . I'm just brainstorming, here.
    2. Shorten the game time.
    3. Allow for permanent holding chickens . . . maybe as a deed award like you do for the consumables?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000006607/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Mmmmm Chicken

I had a lot of fun with this event. I got together with my kin and did raid sized games for hours. Chickens got stuck outside of the arena a few times, and also I would like the cloaks you are forced to wear to NOT be hooded! My reasoning for this is I have a little hobbit hunter named Cluckitses and she has a chicken outfit...I want to be able to wear the full getup without the cloak taking over my chicken mask! I'm really excited for more weekends like this!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000012f90b/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitses View Post
    I had a lot of fun with this event. I got together with my kin and did raid sized games for hours. Chickens got stuck outside of the arena a few times, and also I would like the cloaks you are forced to wear to NOT be hooded! My reasoning for this is I have a little hobbit hunter named Cluckitses and she has a chicken outfit...I want to be able to wear the full getup without the cloak taking over my chicken mask! I'm really excited for more weekends like this!
    1. Fix boundaries in the arena, chickens can fly high and leave the area and/or get stuck way up high on goalposts.
    2. no really... fix the invisible boundaries.
    3. what? you're still here? its over....
    Rank 10 Hunter, Rank 9 Warleader, Rank 8 Weaver, Rank 7 Reaver, Rank 6 Guardian, Rank 6 Warg, Rank 5 Lore-master, Rank 5 Blackarrow, Rank 4 Champion, Rank 3 Reaver, Rank 2 Rune-keeper, just to name a few.

Well, second time around and it seems no one is really into the game this weekend. Ive seen one field in use and not enough for a game on the large fields at all during the first part of the day. Its 1pm server time on Landroval on a Saturday.
    I would suggest making the cost of things a bit less to entice more players as grinding for two to three days just to get a simple emote or cosmetic is asking too much in my opinion and honestly, no one in their right mind would pay mithril coins to boost a possible bonus if you get lucky enough to win. I watched the two large fields stay empty for two days now and its very sad as those host the best games. I hope this is just a lull as I really like the game. watched as three people dominated yesterday on one field and after a while, no one joins the other team for lack of wanting to lose cosntantly. Perhaps a random assigning of teams should be considered?

Fincin of Landroval
    Level 100 Minstrel
    *Les Beaux Chapeaux Bandmember,* Transciber, Officer
    Founder of the Hobbit Coalition for Giving us Bunny Cosmetic Pets
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Hugger of Bunnys

Since this is the official thread I copy and paste what I said in other thread:

There are several problems with this event.

LotRO is seven years old mmorpg; most servers are not enough populated to satisfy the token demand and the few people is not willing to play hobnanigans 3 days per month - the next 2 years- like in a new mmorpg. This event -as is been set- could work in a new mmorpg.

In my server we have 2-3 players from the same kinship that play well -they are good- and obviously no one want to play against them to get 5 tokens every +10 minutes. There are some fluff collectors like me who give it a chance, but seeing the cost and the time involved, the hobnanigans game becomes overwhelming. Thanks to multiboxing (without using any 3rd party software), as I said in other thread, I've been able to get tokens and play with other fellows. Right know -Saturday 2:30 EST- , while I write this, I'm playing with other fellow and his/her alts, (the other 3 fields are empty). That is our reality.

- make a 2 vs 2 field
    - reduce the cost of items -75%
    - reward with tokens the deed completion
    - reduce the match time to 5 minutes
    - keep everything tradeable

Thumbs up Hobnanigans

I love Hobnanigans! Fun, exciting, wonderful! Only thing is that it can get a bit expensive, that's all thank you.
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

Weekend #2 of hob. Zero advertising in the launcher or in-game. I'm told it was mentioned on Twitter. Not all of us use Twitter. All of us see the launcher when we log in. Seems like the launcher is the more sensible path to take

Show up at the fields Saturday afternoon. I see two people 1v1 on one field and a couple AFKers. Hang around for 10 minutes or so, nobody shows up. Maybe tomorrow.

Show up Sunday afternoon. About 6-8 people around. Play one game, then several people leave. Stand around in a field with 3 other people until 2 of them drop and re-get quest to use up all the clubs. OK, game on! Wait, nobody is playing. Those other 3 toons are owned by one person who's standing there until the game ends.

Something needs to be done. I'm here to play a game, not stand in a field. Perhaps it could be turned into an instance and require 6/12 people to start? That way people could start it anytime and not have to stand in the hob area for a game. Might get more interest. Or make the game part of festivals, rewarding fest tokens and using fest tokens to earn hob rewards.

So my feeling after trying to play Hobnobigans this weekend is that they shouldn't have brought it back again so soon before it was ready and the bugs were ironed out. I'm on Landroval, and the first time Hobnobigans was out there was lots of people who were more or less playing, despite the bugs. This time, though, there was much fewer people and many of the ones that were there were multi boxers who were taking over entire fields. And of course the same bugs were still there -- field that can't keep track of the score; chickens flying over the wall, etc. It was much less fun than the first time.

In my opinion, once the bugs are fixed (which is a must!!), this event needs to be relatively rare and not come back too often. Otherwise, it is too easy to burn people out on it. I also agree that better in game advertising would be good .. and perhaps a special Games Stable Master who can take you to the field while the event it going on.

The times I looked at the fields on Belegaer there was just one field used from time to time with a group of players chasing the chicken (my guess: the one that can track the progress of the game since you got the messages when one team scored). At other times there were no participants.

Since this weekend is a long one (incl. Monday) with great summer weather I guess there is a certain amount on holiday and enjoying RL outside.

I just got the last reward I really wanted that I couldn't exchange the last time due to the NPC disappearing during a match getting the last needed tokens. I could have started a game asking around in the kin or multiboxing myself but I'm just spend up with the spring festival so recently and needed a break from playing against a timer until the content is removed again (GW2 really brought me over the edge to be extremly against such content since I want to play it when I have time and fun with it).

The announcement was simple bad. If I hadn't read the mail announcement per chance I would have missed the return of the game completely and not even got the reward. I do not use Twitter or Facebook. Why not mention it in the launcher or even better ingame?
    Automated quest with a map to the field would be great, but even without a map it would at least inform the player. A Games StableMaster would be great also, since you could hop there.

And please put the events on a more relexed schedule that there is at least a little more time between festivals and such events. Perhaps put such a repeatable event like hob. on a fixed weekend so that player can arrange themselves.

Since it was announced that the event would return repeatedly my guess is that people will decide which period they will be spending their time there (not like the festival where you have to wait a full year and some of the rewards are not available anymore (or just for MC)). So probably there will be less people at the grounds at one time. A real 1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2 would be great. Perhaps add an option to that. And a reduced playtime for one game. 5 Minutes are enough from my humble opinion. The longer one thing takes that I need to do over and over again to get the amount of tokens the more I critically decide if it is really worth my time.

Bugfixing is also needed.

The rewards are nice but without changes to the house hooks there is only so much you can place. A lone chicken on the ground is just sad. I would really like some more chickens (a group of chickens, a hen on a nest...) for my farm.
    The wagons are just great for a travelling kin but the hob fields were somewhat disappointing. The small is for a hobbit child to play and the large one isn't great enough for play either. I was hoping for a more useable one (at least from the look).

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    Weekend #2 of hob. Zero advertising in the launcher or in-game. I'm told it was mentioned on Twitter. Not all of us use Twitter. All of us see the launcher when we log in. Seems like the launcher is the more sensible path to take

Show up at the fields Saturday afternoon. I see two people 1v1 on one field and a couple AFKers. Hang around for 10 minutes or so, nobody shows up. Maybe tomorrow.

Show up Sunday afternoon. About 6-8 people around. Play one game, then several people leave. Stand around in a field with 3 other people until 2 of them drop and re-get quest to use up all the clubs. OK, game on! Wait, nobody is playing. Those other 3 toons are owned by one person who's standing there until the game ends.

Something needs to be done. I'm here to play a game, not stand in a field. Perhaps it could be turned into an instance and require 6/12 people to start? That way people could start it anytime and not have to stand in the hob area for a game. Might get more interest. Or make the game part of festivals, rewarding fest tokens and using fest tokens to earn hob rewards.
    I agree.

1. Fix the bugs.
    2. Create a quest just like festivals that gives you a map to Hobnanigans.
    3. A stablemaster between Hobnanigans and the festival ground that allows swift travel from and to Hobnanigans or festival from Bree, Thorin's gate, Michel Delving and Celondim. A stablemaster at Hengstacers Farm isn't enough.
    4. Shorter games, increased dropchance for rare chicken tokens etc. (Don't know anyone having the Wyandotte chicken.)

Question

(As I don't know if my feedback in the German forums will be read at all, I'll post it here, too.)

I'd like to give some feedback to Hobnanigans, unfortunately I hadn't got the time to play it on the starting weekend in May(?).

But why wasn't there an announcement for Hobnanigans which happened yesterday and the day before?

I've been online several times on last weekend (e.g. for crafting ), but I didn't see any anouncement for Hobnanigans, friends also didn't know of the event.
    I accidentally heard of it after Hobnanigans had already finished, but I couldn't believe there was no announcement for it. But neither in the launcher nor ingame nor on the forums in the News and Information section was any announcement. This feedback thread from the May event seems to be the only one - and only the last few comments let one guess that there has been another Hobnanigans weekend on the last 2 days.

Another thread I just found was started by a user, who kindly posted in the forums, that Hobnanigans happened last weekend. But I admit that as a German player I usually don't check the General Discussion & Feedback on the English forums each day for signs of an event, as those are usually announced ingame or at least in the News and Information section.

So if Hobnanigans isn't announced at all (except for the starting weekend in May), it's no wonder that scarcely anybody participates in it ...
    Last edited by Fynuil; Jun 09 2014 at 10:24 AM.

It was announced on facebook and twitter. Also, if you are signed up for their emails, I believe the email this week was regarding Hobnanigans. It was definitely announced.
    If you live to be one hundred, you've got it made. Very few people die past that age.
    -George Burns

Whenever you feel sad, just remember that somewhere in this world, there's someone pulling a door that says "PUSH"

Quote Originally Posted by Ravynne View Post
    It was announced on facebook and twitter. Also, if you are signed up for their emails, I believe the email this week was regarding Hobnanigans. It was definitely announced.
    I get no emails for any events at all, last mails I got about 3 weeks ago confirming the purchase of an expansion and some quest areas.
    I have found no checkbox or options for a subscription of sth like email notifications under myaccount.turbine.com, where can I subscribe for this?

I admit I don't check twitter and facebook daily (since the automatic forwarding to the German fb site, where I often miss some info), it's just a pity that Hobnanigans isn't announced in the launcher or ingame or in the forums as this is done for any other event.

And I'm not the only one who missed it - so in future I'll have to check the English twitter site once a day to get notice of Hobnanigans events.

Based on personal experience, chicken ball was poorly attended the second time around. Bugs, multi-boxers, astronomical reward costs and inflexible game sizes create strong disincentives to play and I heard many complaints along those lines.

The issue of multi-boxers needs addressing. In my opinion, multi-boxers fall into two categories--good ones who multi-box for altruistic reasons and bad ones who multi-box for selfish reasons. Good multi-boxers use characters on multiple accounts to start games when insufficient players take the field within a reasonable period of time. This type of player wants to play games and sometimes shares rewards. Bad multi-boxers take a field with the intention of locking out all other players for the purpose of earning huge numbers of tokens and converting them into game gold. The line between the two types blurs, as multi-boxing always yields more rewards per minute, if only measured in reputation. When any multi-boxer takes a field, a majority of players seem disinclined to play on that field and consider it cheating. Players cannot tell the difference between the two types just by looking at some characters standing around.

1) Make all tokens and rewards bound to character to shut down bad multi-boxers. They may still multi-box to reap rewards for a few main characters, but after that, they will lose all incentive to continue the practice. (Good multi-boxers will continue using multiple accounts to start games, regardless, and are not at issue.) This will also stop huge amounts of gold from concentrating in the hands of bad multi-boxers. (If you do not understand how this works, I will explain. A bad multi-boxer creates 6 accounts, each with one character, then takes them to chicken ball Field 1 or Field 4. Each character picks up one stick of the same color. Five minutes later all characters cancel the quest, switch to the other side, and the game starts. The multi-boxer kicks one goal to win the game, thus earning 15 tokens per character plus special tokens. This equates to 90 Tokens every 15 minutes or 360 Tokens per hour. The multi-boxer then concentrates all those Tokens on a single auctioneer character, buys big ticket items, and sells them on the Auction House. Proceeds are mailed back to the multi-boxer's main character, effectively 'laundering' the gold.)

Average players with a few hours a day for LORTO cannot earn chicken ball rewards in a reasonable amount of time.

2) Estimate rewards costs in time based on earning per hour and bring all barter costs down to reasonable time investments.

Most players avoid broken fields because no amount of effort affects the outcome and they want to play 'real' games. This leaves broken fields to AFK players working on Reputation and that perpetuates the vicious circle.

3) Fix the fields. Field 2 and Field 3 worked fine when the event started, but eventually broke such that the fields always tied.

Many players had no knowledge of the event until after it started.

4) Advertise the event. If players know a week or two in advance they can plan to attend. Kin officers can organize events.

People often cannot get into 'real' games, especially during off-peak hours, simply due to lack of players. Multi-boxers take advantage of those empty fields, further reducing chances of 'real' games forming.

5) I would like to see some mechanic that allows a field to play with two or four people. This would mitigate the need for good multi-boxers to start games. The system should also handle the situation where a player takes a stick and leaves the field, thus creating an unfair game situation (3 on 2 or 2 on 1).

In my opinion, given limited developer resources, only minimal modifications will ever make it into the game and my suggestions reflect that.

Ultimately I just don't see why Turbine would invest any development time into this event.

For my dime, I'd rather they worked on improving housing and fixing game bugs that have been around since day 1. I don't see the point of this event. There's no leaderboard, it's just a grind for token for chicken-related gear. And it IS a GRIND. I did it the first weekend and have no intention of returning. It's limited and grows wearisome very quickly, and the rewards are way too expensive and not unique or compelling enough to justify the grind.

I found these to be a lot of fun, I had a blast the two times these have been up. Haven't read all the thread, so some of this may be redundant.

- Chicken bugged out a few times. Sometimes it goes great, other times it doesn't. Overall not too awful, just some waiting. Except one time that the chicken was kicked out of bounds within the first 30 seconds of the game, no one had even scored. Once had both chickens on the field get knocked out of bounds.

- Once someone did manage to kick the chicken back in, by climbing on a wagon.

- It feels a bit annoying if it's late at night and no one is around. Too hard to get a game going. So I felt compelled to bring in an alt from an f2p account and dual box it, and I did feel a bit guilty (I did make sure to be active on the losing side though and leave the winning character idle).

- On that note, there should be some method to reduce number of players needed. Say allow 2 vs 2 or 5 vs 5. Perhaps when that many people are there a countdown timer starts and if no more show up then reduce the number of players needed. However there are sometimes cases where you get all but one player and have to plead and beg for one more to join.

- It is unclear how the chicken tokens are earned, are they random drops after playing, only on a win, when getting new rep levels, etc.

- Kin member complains that 10 minutes is too long for a match. Too long to wait to join, too long to finish it. Maybe reserve one small field for shorter matches with half the rewards.

- It is annoying to keep reslotting those chicken skills ever since time a new match starts or a new skill is available. If they could remember the last place they were slotted it would be very helpful. It is frustrating to see the other side drive the chicken past you while you're still fumbling with moving icons around. This would really help the players too who find the controls a bit awkward to move and click on a skill at the same time (some did complain about this).

- Some occasional reward for very good team play would be nice, though this will be hard to measure. On the other end, I'm sometimes on a losing team and we can not make any headway at all against the others, and sometimes I feel really awful being on the winning team that is totally trouncing the opponents who are all new to the game. A way to handicap the teams would be handy (on 6x6 fields), such as if one team is ahead by 5 then the other team gets shorter cool downs on skills, or had more open goals available. Because even if you're going to lose with no hope of a win, you still want to have some fun instead of just letting the clock run out.

- Allow a way to queue up for a game, since even when there are few overall players, most want to play on the active field. Often the winning side quickly runs to get the quest and run back to grab the same color, thus the other side is very often going to lose the next match and it's difficult to break that cycle.

- Add a /flop emote.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynuil View Post
    I get no emails for any events at all, last mails I got about 3 weeks ago confirming the purchase of an expansion and some quest areas.
    I have found no checkbox or options for a subscription of sth like email notifications under myaccount.turbine.com, where can I subscribe for this?

I admit I don't check twitter and facebook daily (since the automatic forwarding to the German fb site, where I often miss some info), it's just a pity that Hobnanigans isn't announced in the launcher or ingame or in the forums as this is done for any other event.

And I'm not the only one who missed it - so in future I'll have to check the English twitter site once a day to get notice of Hobnanigans events.
    http://cl.s6.exct.net/profile_center...7160057f75&r=0

That link MIGHT take you to the page where you can sign up for weekly email newsletters. These are the same emails that list the store specials each week.
    If you live to be one hundred, you've got it made. Very few people die past that age.
    -George Burns

Whenever you feel sad, just remember that somewhere in this world, there's someone pulling a door that says "PUSH"

Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    - Some occasional reward for very good team play would be nice, though this will be hard to measure. On the other end, I'm sometimes on a losing team and we can not make any headway at all against the others, and sometimes I feel really awful being on the winning team that is totally trouncing the opponents who are all new to the game. A way to handicap the teams would be handy (on 6x6 fields), such as if one team is ahead by 5 then the other team gets shorter cool downs on skills, or had more open goals available. Because even if you're going to lose with no hope of a win, you still want to have some fun instead of just letting the clock run out.
    I like this idea. Anything to help give motivation, when the outcome of the game already feels decided. It's very disheartening to be in a game where most of the players on the losing team decide to give up only 4 minutes in. Whether I'm on the losing team or the winning team, it's a frustrating situation. I want to play!

I love Hobnanigans!

But please advertise it in the launcher and in game! If it's not possible to advertise in game, that's fine as long as there's a note about it in the launcher. I'm sure there's lots of people who don't check the forums or twitter or twitch livestreams when they feel like playing a game. They just start the game and start playing
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Since the game is back I'd like to add my request for a solo game on the field as I'm sure many others have asked for. I would really like to experience this game without having to wait around for others.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Agree completely, as I am mainly a solo player.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000001c9c4a/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Looking at some empty fields and one full, the full one has same guy on six accounts afk for 5 tokens per character.

Getting told to fetch a blue stick. No ble sticks. Am I waiting for the game to commence for the blue sticks to appear? Getting ejecterd from the court. apparently I should have dropped the quest and gotten quest from the other side of the field and gone for a red stick instead and someone beat me to it. Hen is an npc and must be targeted with f10 and not del...must remember.

It's a bit clucky, isn't it?
    *clunky

Guys, you do know you can set up a (6 man) field solo? It takes patience or some alts (I only have one account, 13 alts). With the way Hobnanigans is, it's the only way to even get some tokens to attempt to get the over-priced items.

If someone wants to play the game properly, fair play to them, but some of us want the goodies, there are loads and it's going to take years to even make a dent in the tokens needed.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass."
    Officer in the Elders kinship - http://www.theelders.org.uk/
    We have left the wandering spark (Gilrain) to find the Song of Gold (Laurelin)...

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast