We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Kill/Death

Kill/Death

Can someone explain this for pvp? I can't seem to find anything on the forums and I've asked several players but they say they don't know.

Thx :P

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but I'll give it a shot at answering.

Your Kill/Death Ratio (KD) is a way to measure--in theory at least-- your skill as a PvPer. Many players try to get as many kills as they can in as few deaths as possible and thereby earn a high KD. There are many, including myself, that view this as a flawed system to measure skill as one could easily raid up and zerg opponents to inflate their KD.

In the end, it only has as much meaning as you give it, from the ultimate measure of skill to just your kills divided by your deaths. Hope this helps.
    Cheiftain Ashtu-1, Defiler of Landroval
    Master Guardsman Jythro, Captain of Silverlode

So, a 4/5 would mean you have 4 kills to 5 deaths? And does that apply just if you get the kb?

Yes, a 4/5 would mean that you have made 4 kills and died 5 times. The kills goes up every time you get renown/infamy for the death of an enemy. The death goes up every time you die shortly after the last time an enemy has damaged you. Neither require a kb.

For example, say I was a warden. I could kill a creep inside hh by throwing a javelin at him but the mayor stole my KB. I would still get points for it and 1 would be added to my kills (and 1 to the creep's deaths). Also, I could just be in the group of someone who killed a creep across the map. If I get infamy, 1 is added to my number of kills.

Same thing for deaths. Say at the waterfall that same creep is attacking me and I decide to jump off the cliff when things go sour and I die from the fall. The creep had some part in my death so that would add one to my deaths and 1 to the kills of that creep. Deaths will not go up, however, for just dying in the moors. If you get killed by npcs without touching an opponent (rather, him touching you) it will not add to your deaths.

I do not know for certain how soon before the kill you must damage your enemy to get points for it, however. It seems that if you are still in combat with the opponent (10 seconds since someone last attacked) you get the points. DoTs also work like this without keeping you in combat. There also seems to be a bug where if you use a DoT on someone, say, a freep, and they escape but later die, you get points for their kill, even if the left the moors and just wiped in a skirmish etc. This does not work every time though, or even often, so don't go getting any bright ideas lol.

One more thing, healing someone who kills an enemy will give you points and therefore add 1 to your kills.
    Last edited by Joebob7; Mar 21 2014 at 06:00 PM.
    Cheiftain Ashtu-1, Defiler of Landroval
    Master Guardsman Jythro, Captain of Silverlode

Tyvm Joebob, that is an excellent answer and really helps me understand the K/D ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Joebob7 View Post
    Your Kill/Death Ratio (KD) is a way to measure--in theory at least-- your skill as a PvPer.
    I don't even think that could be called a theory as it is so easily disproven. The war tab stats are just that -- stats. Skill is measured by your actions, not numbers.
    Sniz(defiler) / Johanson(cappy)

Quote Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
    I don't even think that could be called a theory as it is so easily disproven. The war tab stats are just that -- stats. Skill is measured by your actions, not numbers.
    It's the only quantified measure that could be applied to pvp, does that help you?

I think it's really just a measure of how shrewd a player is, in the immortal words of Kenny Rogers - "know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em".
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r10 (active) Mini

Quote Originally Posted by Irin19 View Post
    It's the only quantified measure that could be applied to pvp, does that help you?

I think it's really just a measure of how shrewd a player is, in the immortal words of Kenny Rogers - "know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em".
    No, the numbers aren't a measure of anything other than numbers. They have nothing to do with skill or shrewdness.
    Sniz(defiler) / Johanson(cappy)

Quote Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
    No, the numbers aren't a measure of anything other than numbers. They have nothing to do with skill or shrewdness.
    In my experience, the players with a good k/d ratio are those who is almost never solo (outside of camps and one shooters) and are usually the first to bail on thier group when things start to go south. Stealth classes being the exception.

Generally speaking...
    "...FF is still the best server period, its like the Texas of Lotro"-Bace

Imo, one will truly have way more fun not worrying or caring about k/d ratio or rating. Go out and have fun alone or with good friends.
    Lebronjames