We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Crafting Guilds

Crafting Guilds

As stated in another thread, I have 11 alts that I'm working on, plus my 83 warden
    for a total of 12. I'm leveling them via the yeoman vocation, then skirmish grinding
    before going back to knock out old zones.

However, I'm considering dropping yeoman for a proper vocation for each of them,
    so that I can craft armor, LIs, relics, etc for them.. if it's even worth it. So, having
    said that, I have a few questions.

Is crafting even worth it pre-95 for solo chars? If not, is it worth it at 95?

What crafting guilds can make LI related stuff, and should I even bother with
    getting the rep to make them? I don't raid, so no need for First Age stuff, though I
    do like to have the best gear I can get my hands on.

Will I have to do skirmish raids, old instances, etc to get mats for crafting? I don't
    mind soloing instances and skirmishes, if I'm able, though I'm not a fan of grouping.
    The laptop really hates it.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Pre 95? Yes.
    • In the early levels (7-28), crafted/critted gear is better than anything from quest rewards.
    • In an Evendim quest chain each class has set of gear better (though some stats are out of date) than the 30's crafted.
    • Then, crafted/critted lvl 42, 45 and 51 armor are going to be fairly decent.
    • From 51 on, armor falls behind in quality of quest rewards, and stays there through the 70's.
    • At lvl 80, the crafted/critted gear is better than the majority of lvl 85 quest rewards.
    • In the 90's, crafted/critted gear is on par on the low 90's quest reward, but eclipsed by the lvl 95 quest rewards.

At 95? Questionable.
    • And, lvl 95 guild crafted gear is on par with teal drops from instances.

I have 9 characters per sever, one per class, so I have at least one in each crafting guild. Thus, I can make any SA/FA LI for any of my classes when I have the materials. I find being self sufficient much more enjoyable than trying to run around begging others to craft the LI I want for me.
    • Jeweller - RK Weapon, Champ class item
    • Metalsmith - Capt/Guard class items
    • Scholar - LM/Mini class items
    • Tailor - Burg/RK class items, Bridles
    • Weaponsmith - Metal based LI weapons
    • Woodworker - Wood based LI weapons

And, there's the crafted relics. And, while there are a few relics that are universal, most of the stat ones are specific to a guild.
    • Cook - +Morale
    • Jeweller - +Will
    • Metalsmith - + Might
    • Scholar - +Power
    • Tailor - +Fate
    • Weaponsmith - +Vitality
    • Woodworker - +Agility

And, while they do barter for items to gain crafting experience at skirmish camps, your best bet is to actually go out, collect the raw materials (or at least buy them on the AH) and craft via processing.

Quote Originally Posted by scithen View Post
    Is crafting even worth it pre-95 for solo chars? If not, is it worth it at 95?
    Is it worth what? To level up your crafting you'll need a decent supply of different resources as well as time where you don't do anything else. For the resources you'll either have to farm them (and for 9 toons levelling all 9 tiers from scratch you'll need to farm quite a bit) or buy them from other players, and crafting resources usually aren't exactly cheap. Resources can be farmed on the landscape and on some tiers there are special solo-instances as well, no grouping required at all, but you'll need to run around a lot. Skirmishes and regular instances are mostly useless in that regard.

Fortunately the time required to level crafting skills is now relatively easy to handle thanks to processing recipes as you don't have to stay at your keyboard most of the time.

On the other hand crafting is the best option to have good class- and level-adequate gear. Quest rewards can in some phases be better but often won't be useful for your class or aren't available for all slots. At higher levels guild access is kinda mandatory though to make the high quality gear as well as LIs and relics. At 95 as a solo player you can either craft your gear, buy it from the AH or be satisfied with quest rewards and landscape drops with about 10% worse stats.

Note: There is the option to level your crafting partially/exclusively with store items, but that is very expensive so I've assumed you aren't interested in it.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Quote Originally Posted by Grimdi View Post
    Is it worth what?
    To put it simply, are the crafted items going to be worth the time investment?

It already slightly annoys me, not having access to that crafted relic for my LIs,
    but I've gotten used to it. And if quest rewards are only about 10% behind crafted,
    that's really not a big deal if I end up needing thousands and thousands of hides,
    ore, etc just to level up one character's professions. I've gotten a tailor
    as high as the master tier, I think it was, but to me the gear was fairly lack-
    luster.

I'm used to farming, both the actual profession and running around farming ore,
    wood, etc. As for the crafting instances, or whatever they are, are you referring
    to the ones such as in Moria? Complete the quests, get keys and can buy
    bundles of resources? Along with lothlorien leaves, iirc. I tried those a few times,
    but that was pre-HD while I was leveling my warden. DPS was a bit lower back
    then, and I didn't see the appeal.

The one thing I don't want to have to do, however, is farm mobs for world (or
    even zone) drop recipes. I had enough of that in another MMO, and it annoyed
    me to no end. Weeks of farming, usually, and sometimes I never even got what I
    was after.

Thank you for that wealth of information HaleElven. Though one last question
    regarding crafted LIs.

How do they compare to the ones you can make via melding at a relic master?
    The same, just requiring different materials (shards vs crafting mats)? Or are they
    higher level, better stats, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by scithen View Post
    To put it simply, are the crafted items going to be worth the time investment?
    Crafting your own LI's and relics is the ultimate payoff for the investment.
    Crafting your own gear along the way is just gravy, especially the gear that can't be found in quest rewards. Such as Burg's Signals, Captain's Banners, Hunter's Books, Mini's Instruments, LM's Brooches, RK's Chisel/Rifler, Warden's Carvings, etc.
    that's really not a big deal if I end up needing thousands and thousands of hides, ore, etc just to level up one character's professions.
    Have you seen the Processing that has been added to all tiers of crafting for Jeweller, Metalsmith, Tailor, Weaponsmith and Woodworker?
    1 Ingot/Leather/Plank = 16 craft exp

You'll need more materials to master the gathering professions than you will to master the crafting ones.
    As for the crafting instances, or whatever they are, are you referring to the ones such as in Moria? Complete the quests, get keys and can buy bundles of resources?
    It's not the reward, it's the fact that the instances are full of Forester, Prospector and Scholar nodes. But, you actually need to have those gathering Professions to make use of them.

How do they compare to the ones you can make via melding at a relic master? The same, just requiring different materials (shards vs crafting mats)? Or are they higher level, better stats, etc?
    Crafted Third age vs. Dropped/Bartered Third ages? It was reported that Crafted Third ages had slightly better stats than Dropper/Bartered at lvl 85. I don't know if that's still true for the lvl 95 LI's.

Third age vs. Second/First ages? Second/First ages have better stats off the bat, and have a greater amount of points to rank up legacies.

No I don't think it is worth overall unless you enjoy the process of crafting, you can get other people to make stuff for you for free, and get food made for you or buy it from AH, there is no real reason to do it yourself.