We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Returning Newbie - Best Class?

Greetings,

I'm just returning after a longish absence, which itself was preceded by another longish absence, so in a sense this is a new game for me. Last time around, I started over with an Elf Hunter and a Hobbit Warden, then the friend I charged about with had to quit, and I've been absent again since then. Still have those characters, but so much has changed that I'll be learning them afresh. I'm looking for some advice on what I ought to play.

I expect to play solo, almost if not all the time. I know all the classes are capable of soloing, but I don't want to miss out on a lot of content because whatever I'm playing just can't hack it alone. Also, I want something that I'll enjoy playing, not only from the standpoint of game mechanics and survivability, but for something that's fun for just wandering around, poking my nose in where it doesn't belong, seeing the sights, doing the odd heroic deed, then retiring to the pub for a drink and a bite to eat.

I used to enjoy my Elf Hunter, but I think it was in Angmar that I hit a wall with him, and it became very difficult to progress due to getting stomped all the time. Also, Elves are inherently melancholy, and I have enough ennui in RL, thanks very much. Worst of all, I just logged on, and he STILL stands as if he has a bent stick stuck up him. So I think it's hobbits for me.

Last I checked (which was quite a while ago), Wardens were supposed to be the best solo class, which is partly why I made one. But I still have some trouble getting into the spirit of the thing. A hobbit who lugs around giant spears and a shield, stabs orcs like a seasoned warrior, and lets out constant war-cries? It feels... unhobbitish. Also, I note that they've changed the class description to say it was inspired by Haldir and friends in Lorien, not Fastred of Westmarch. Finally, I'm just not sure about these gambits. I'm not all that great about remembering dozens of combo moves. Now, I do like being able to run about at high hobbit-speeds, and the swift-travel skills, and I'm open to being convinced about the rest, so I haven't ruled out Wardens -- I just need some advice on that score.

Minstrels seem appealing, but I'm not sure about how the gameplay *feels*, and that's very important to me. I've played a Minstrel to level 18, and it seemed to be mostly going *strum* on a lute and then shouting. Does it wind up feeling more minstrel-y as the game progresses? Do you ever, for instance, sing? Or play more than a quick couple of chords at the enemy? Also, is it all kiting, or when they get to you, do you stand toe-to-toe like any other melee class?

Anyway, I've probably rambled enough. In the end, I'm just looking for a fun and hobbitish way to see Middle Earth. I would be most grateful for any advice.

If you're convinced that you only want to play a Hobbit, then why not give the most Hobbit-like class of all a try -- the burglar? They have great survivability and are known for poking their noses where they don't belong. They might have trouble with only a "bite to eat" though.

I often hear that... but is burglary really the true calling of a hobbit? Bilbo was called a Burglar, yes, but the only burglarish things he did were stealing that cup from Smaug and pilfering food from King Thranduil. Nary a backstab to be found in either book, nor paired daggers, stealth attacks, or anything else of that nature. I've never played a Burglar, so I can't comment on how much fun it is to play, but I need something more than "hobbit = burglar."

Apart from being sneaky, what makes burglars ideal for hobbits?

I guess that if we pay close attention to what happened in the books/lore/stories, hobbits aren't 100% suitable for anything because after all, they preferred to stay in the Shire and live out their peaceful, merry lives but more on topic I think the burglar is a fun class and doing pretty alright, from what i hear.

How does one find out how a particular class will work out in the long term? I've looked into the class forums, but everything I find there is either woefully outdated or oriented toward people who already know everything about the class. I don't have the energy to go through the same opening quests and areas time after time after time, which is why I'm looking for advice here.

Trust me; there is absolutely nothing left that any class can't handle solo while questing. Your question might have required some research some time ago, but not anymore. I'm not exaggerating. I'm not saying every class can solo raids. But landscape? You're good no matter what you choose.

PoeticNightmare is right. I have one of every class, although they are all over the place when it comes to level, and there is no class that doesn't solo well. Tanks and healers are, imo, more fun if you can use your skills to heal or protect others though, but it's your call.

If you want to play a Hobbit, these are your choices: Burglar, Guardian, Hunter, Minstrel, or Warden. You seem to be concerned about burglars and wardens not being Hobbity enough. Here are some quotes from "Concerning Hobbits":

"nimble and deft in their movements"
    "the art of disappearing swiftly and silently"
    "difficult to daunt or to kill"
    "curiously tough"
    "could survive rough handling by grief, foe, or weather"
    "skillful with tools"
    "doughty at bay and at need could still handle arms"
    "shot well with the bow" (Hobbit archers killed Wormtongue, and Hobbits sent archers to the battle of Fornost.)

Quote Originally Posted by Firithlas View Post
    How does one find out how a particular class will work out in the long term?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this, but the best way to find out how a class works is to make a choice and get in there and start playing. I know what you want is to make an informed choice, and if you really want a lot of particulars, the best way to get that is to pick the two or three classes that look the most interesting to you, go to their forums, and ask. But really, no one can decide what's the most fun for you. Only you can do that. There's also no reason why you can't make more than one character and play them all until you decide which one fits you best. Yes, if they're all Hobbits, then you'll have to play through the same quests a few times, but it won't be that bad or take forever. Sometimes I do a quest and can't wait to get on another character and do it all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticNightmare View Post
    there is absolutely nothing left that any class can't handle solo while questing.
    This.

but personally i think on the long run it'll be worth testing out a few classes and doing the same quests over a couple of times. because you much rather do this than level up a class to 40+ and then find out it's not your cup of tea. we can narrow it down a bit i guess; would you prefer to play as ranged or melee? if that does not matter, spell caster or physical weapon user? Also I think theres at least a tad of info on each class and their changes for each spec somewhere to be found on the intertubes.

I havent played every class but what i've found most interesting/fun to play are warden, burglar and rune-keeper. Warden is not as hard to play as the class forums suggest but it does require a bit of muscle memory.

First of all, many thanks, I appreciate the ongoing advice.

I'm hoping to settle on a class before I go adventuring because I've done much of the early content before, some of it several times, and if I take it on with two or three new characters at once, I probably won't enjoy any of them enough to continue. I'm not actually asking you kind folks to determine what would be fun for me -- I'm not quite that daft. But I'm trying to get a sense of what these classes feel like to play once they come into their own.

The problem is that I can only find information on the early levels, mostly outdated, and on late-game stuff that presupposes familiarity with the class. Gameplay videos tend to be of the early stuff I've already done, or of raids and such. I don't get a good sense of what makes a class interesting to play. "This class is awesome because <blank>." And it can take quite a while to find out, at least for me. I began to worry about my warden at level 20 or thereabouts, but it wasn't until I tried to come back to him (level 27) after an absence that I realized it wasn't going to work. My hunter didn't fail me until almost level 50. I don't have the time or energy to level two or three new characters to level 50, which is why I'm asking for help.

The early levels of Minstrel and Burglar aren't really telling me much -- strum a lute or backstab. That can't be the only difference. And therein lies my question: what makes the classes interesting? I keep hearing "X is fun," but so far not much of why it's fun. What keeps you coming back?

I think the reason i personally keep coming back to warden and play it as my main is because of the huge amount of versatility of the class and the gambit system.

Warden is quite possibly the most diverse class in the game, we can do a little of everything. We can dps with very potent bleeds, we can heal our selves with powerful hots, if things go wrong with have a couple of nice panic buttons, we have a ranged stance to deal damage and debuff mobs from a distance, we even can do a little stealth. The only thing a warden can't do is reliably cc, though we have a few stuns and dazes and a very nice slow.

The other reason warden is so much fun to play is at the core of the class, the gambit system. To be honest gambits aren't something everyone will enjoy. It can be hard to get used to and if you have trouble with memorizing combos it can be rough early on. However the appeal, for me at least, comes from sticking with it and learning the ins and outs of gambits so that they become totally second nature. There's a certain level of mastery over the gambit system that once learned allows the warden to be a very fluid, flexible, and powerful class.

Warden can have a pretty rough learning curve to it. Its not necessarily difficult to play so much as it takes some time to get the muscle memory to play it well. But if you are willing to stick with it and keep trying the payoff is more then worth the early struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrinoth View Post
    I think the reason i personally keep coming back to warden and play it as my main is because of the huge amount of versatility of the class and the gambit system.

Warden is quite possibly the most diverse class in the game, we can do a little of everything. We can dps with very potent bleeds, we can heal our selves with powerful hots, if things go wrong with have a couple of nice panic buttons, we have a ranged stance to deal damage and debuff mobs from a distance, we even can do a little stealth. The only thing a warden can't do is reliably cc, though we have a few stuns and dazes and a very nice slow.

The other reason warden is so much fun to play is at the core of the class, the gambit system. To be honest gambits aren't something everyone will enjoy. It can be hard to get used to and if you have trouble with memorizing combos it can be rough early on. However the appeal, for me at least, comes from sticking with it and learning the ins and outs of gambits so that they become totally second nature. There's a certain level of mastery over the gambit system that once learned allows the warden to be a very fluid, flexible, and powerful class.

Warden can have a pretty rough learning curve to it. Its not necessarily difficult to play so much as it takes some time to get the muscle memory to play it well. But if you are willing to stick with it and keep trying the payoff is more then worth the early struggle.
    Agreed. Wardens are definitely the most versatile class, but by no means the hardest to play.

Gambits are easy enough to memorize. Never had a problem with them. After all, its just mashing a combination of 3 buttons and a 4th to execute a gambit.

Problem with mastering the warden is learning to incorporate the masteries into skill rotations and building gambits.

It's not the number of buttons that's a problem with the Warden, it's the number of gambits. Forty gambits, each requiring between two and five of those three buttons in the right order. Sure, it can be memorized. I've done much harder things. But memorizing them all and incorporating their proper use into the game at the right moments, in combination with the right supplementary skills... that's more work than I can afford to put into learning a game I'll be playing more or less casually. And I'd have to re-learn it all several times, since I tend to take breaks from these games.

I think I'll go with a Minstrel. Music, song, poetry, adventure, fine clothes, awesome hats, killing things with bagpipes... at least it'll be a change of pace.

Warden definitely isn't an alt class. Some time and effort is needed to be able to enjoy the class to the fullest. I will say this however; gambits follow patterns and once you know the basic pattern its pretty easy to figure out which gambit to use and what those gambits do.

Mini is a good class to pick though. Its lots of fun to play while also being one of the most powerful classes in the game. Have fun and happy hunting

While there may be a lot of gambits to remember, most of them actually follow a specific line. Such as how heal gambits involve the 2,1 combination. Power attack line is 1, 2, 3; 1, 2, 3, 1; 1, 2, 3, 1, 2. Or the leech line, 3, 1, 2; 3, 1, 2, 3; 3, 1, 2, 3, 2.

Sooner or later you realize that there is a specific pattern to the various gambits, and suddenly, 40 gambits ain't all that much. Most of them time, the longer gambits are just stronger versions of the shorter ones.

And as I mentioned, the steepest learning curve for any warden is learning to incorporate masteries into the rotation. I know it screws me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrinoth View Post

Mini is a good class to pick though. Its lots of fun to play while also being one of the most powerful classes in the game. Have fun and happy hunting
    Well it's simple at least. Fun these days? Not so much in my opinion. Too basic, too OP, too boring and too inflexible for me. I've shelved my 2 minstrels and switched to an RK for some interest while soloing.

The hats are nice though

You dislike your elf-hunter, so how about rerolling a Female Hobbit Hunter with a crossbow equipped? Always want to try one, but too lazy XD