We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

new player's question about the game's "nature"

is this game world-focused or instanced-focused? solo content or group content?

is it more about exploring the world, questing, discovering lore and hidden secrets like skyrim or just... getting a group and grindind in raids like world of warcraft?

i like wow and all, but have a big problem with group content in general(mostly because of my playing-time), and in WoW i always felt like i could only enjoy about 20% of the game, since it is all about raids. world content is extemely trivialized and treated like a ladder you have to climb before being able to do the real thing... what i want is a game about exploring the world and finding out lore, without feeling left behind on progression or missing the main content of the game.

i like these group content parts of MMOs, but not as the nature of the game... its more like something to do once in a while and have some fun.

is LotrO the game for me? or once i reach high levels, will world content become something trivial to do when my raid group is offline?
    Last edited by Kyzonu; Nov 18 2013 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzonu View Post

is it more about exploring the world, questing, discovering lore and hidden secrets like skyrim or just... getting a group and grindind in raids like world of warcraft?

i like wow and all, but have a big problem with group content in general(mostly because of my playing-time), and in WoW i always felt like i could only enjoy about 20% of the game, since it is all about raids. world content is extemely trivialized and treated like a ladder you have to climb before being able to do the real thing... what i want is a game about exploring the world and finding out lore, without feeling left behind on progression or missing the main content of the game.

i like these group content parts of MMOs, but not as the nature of the game... its more like something to do once in a while and have some fun.

is LotrO the game for me? or once i reach high levels, will world content become something trivial to do when my raid group is offline?
    The "world content" is not trivial and very easy to solo. So this may be the game you are looking for, especially if you have a "big problem with group content in general".

There's only a couple of non-instanced raids, and those are in Angmar.

That said, the amount of world content you have to explore is pretty phenomenal, and you will definitely enjoy wandering through it.

The other nice thing about LotRO is the epic storyline, which starts from the time you enter the world, and while it works its way through three volumes, it will take you all the way to Helm's Deep. The entire epic storyline can be completed solo.

Once you get into Enedwaith, and beyond, you will also encounter

If and when the instances do integrate into the area quests (this is more of an issue with the older content), it's typically on side quests, and not the primary epic storyline.

I have had a lot of fun working through the area quests, especially when you finally get to Weathertop, Rivendell, Moria, and Isengard for the first time. I'm also looking forward to getting to Edoras and Helm's Deep (and it actually counting) in the coming expansion.

It depends on what you are looking for. I have enjoyed the area content since I joined LotRO all those years ago with my captain. Once I hit level cap and got well geared, the challenge diminished, but the landscape content has been good enough that it's been a non-issue.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

It have all of the above & they are all well developed. You choose how you want to play it. Give it a chance.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

My way of explaining it is that LOTRO is all about the journey, not the destination. Unlike other MMO's that force you to grind away to finish off a level after doing the quests, you will find you will outlevel most areas before you run out of quests. Unless you really want to go back and be one of many LOTRO completionists who want to finish off every quest and every deed, once you reach end game, you can start a second character just to do those areas/quests you skipped with your first one.

On occasion, you will find something that requires a group, but most of those can be skipped since it was put in there to keep end gamers busy between expansions. Finding a Kin will help with those, or just ask for help in GLFF and hope some strangers join in to help you. The lack of open world PvP means that helping someone does not mean you are aiding someone who may try to kill you tomorrow. Once open tapping was introduced, you did not even have to worry about nerfing someones drops or XP by helping with a mob that appears to be bothering them.

Later on, when you reach endgame, feel free to try some serious raids and instances even though they are not required.
    Sapience is OK, but I liked my fierce Armored Warrior Chicken image more as a signature. Alts are RunsWith Scissors, Brokkers Anvil, ButterWort Bingor O'Crosby

I have 10 characters going and solo all of them. There are a lot of available quests, deeds, and world to explore. The world is awesome - wonderfully made and fun to explore. I out level every region, but I am one of those completionist, which is why my characters range from 18-85. Come on in, stay awhile, explore, and have fun.
    [COLOR=Pink][SIZE=1][FONT=Century Gothic]Brandywine: [SIZE=2]Loraiel [/SIZE]MIN ~ [SIZE=2]Gwenifer [/SIZE]BURG ~ [SIZE=2]Hanarae [/SIZE]WARD ~ [SIZE=2]Marilot [/SIZE]LM ~ [SIZE=2]Ashreth [/SIZE]HUNT ~ [SIZE=2]Tamilia [/SIZE]CAPT ~ [SIZE=2]Shaelyne [/SIZE]RK ~ [SIZE=2]Valkaree [/SIZE]CHAMP ~ [SIZE=2]Kaite [/SIZE]GUARD ~ [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR=Pink][SIZE=1][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=2]Jillisa [/SIZE]GUARD ~ [B]Roxxi Manor[/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [I]"...Not all those who wander are lost..."[/I]