We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New to Captain - What is it?

I quit playing for about 6 months and want to start playing again with the coming of what I think will be an epic expansion. I want to start over and was wondering what the captain class as a whole is good at, not necesarily what it's the best at. I haven't played one out of the intro. I have a couple questions I would appreciate to be answered:

1) If you were debating your main role (tank, healer, or dps, along with support), why did you choose that role over the other two? Would you be 2 or all three of them at the same time?

2) Which role do you prefer in raids? PvMP? Solo?

Positive feedback is prefered, but negative is fine as it would give me pros and cons to look at. Thank you for your time and have fun soiling the Enemies warplans!

The Captain can be tank, DPS or healer, but rather than only relying on straight out tanking, DPS'ing or healing they can buff your fellowship in different ways, e.g. by making them deal more damage, heal more or take less damage.
    This is especially significant as a DPS Captain, as the majority of your DPS in a fellowship/raid will come from the buffs you give to your Fellowship rather than your own DPS.
    Current Captain tanking role is very limited because of weak aggro skills though, at least I can't do much to hold aggro if the DPS in my group are any good.

The class is IMO a lot slower than most/all other classes for soloing, they're sturdy (yet not near Warden/Guardian capability) but deal rather low damage. However, what they lack in soloing they gain in group play, they can simply lift groups so much.

The Captain is in for some rather large changes for Helms Deep, but the principles will stay, you'll still be fulfilling your role by partially doing it and partially by buffing your group.

I am a healing cappy first, but that is because I do a lot of raiding and in T2 challenge you generally need more healing to keep the raid up. For leveling/deeding/easy content I trait DPS. But really there isn't a lot of difference right now in gear/legacies you would use with the exception of a few tactical mastery relics (healing boost but not DPS).

I know tanking cappies, it can be done. Generally it takes seeking tank gear to do it. If you find survivability fun then go for it. I suspect for leveling you would prefer DPS.

Cappy buffs are what make them special-both the buffs they put on people before an instance and for the banners (or heralds), marks (telling and revealing) and awesome brother skills used throughout running an instance. Just recently during a Bells of the Dale run I went in damage, but when the first boss went south I hit last stand (I cant die) and in harms way (I take 50% of the fellowships damage), moved from telling to revealing mark, changed from sword brother to shield brother (on the mini) and started single target healing to keep us all up. It worked. The Mini kept the tank going, then kept me up while I spot healed everyone and we finished the boss off.

That said this sort of on the spot flexibility is going away with the update. You will be able to change, but from now on I will have to play the caution card and change before the boss fight starts. Unfortunately, last stand/in harms way are moving to the tank line and I am not sure how accessible they will be...especially because we will want the crits from the damage line to open up on defeat response healing. But I can move between healing and damage for boss fights as long as people will let you switch before they pull things.

Claira
    Cappy Clairawen, 100 on Landroval
    Alts:
    Amberlorli 100 RK~Seawen 100 Mini~Axin 100 Champ~Poppywood 100 Hunter~Hannalorli 100 Guard~Flairin 100 Burg~Dovewen 60 LM~Emmeera 40 Warden~ Arctika 15 Beo

Pre-HD captain is an innately flexible character, able to buff fellows to perform their role even better, to react with a myriad of tools when things don't go right. Captains are self-less to an extreme.

Post HD captain will be either a tank, healer or dps character, you must choose before the fight. Your buffs will be oriented towards what makes you perform better (applies to others in the group too) rather than what they need. They no longer will have all the tools available to help get things back on track when a mistake is made, though in all honesty that applies to other classes too, but it previously fit the captain to a T.

Quote Originally Posted by Esvelsin View Post
    I quit playing for about 6 months and want to start playing again with the coming of what I think will be an epic expansion. I want to start over and was wondering what the captain class as a whole is good at, not necesarily what it's the best at. I haven't played one out of the intro. I have a couple questions I would appreciate to be answered:

1) If you were debating your main role (tank, healer, or dps, along with support), why did you choose that role over the other two? Would you be 2 or all three of them at the same time?

2) Which role do you prefer in raids? PvMP? Solo?

Positive feedback is prefered, but negative is fine as it would give me pros and cons to look at. Thank you for your time and have fun soiling the Enemies warplans!

1) In basketball terms, you are a point guard, in soccer terms you are a defensive/ central midfielder: your main role is to initiate attacks, but you are also the first who can switch between offence and defence. Though we aren´t as good in it as we were pre HD, I still consider a captain something like a play-maker.

Therefore, I consider myself an off-tank, emergency healer, and damage supporter. Personal dps doensn´t matter to me as long as the team wins.

2) In future raids, the post - hd captain mechanics might force us to decide between damage support (offence) and off-tanking/ healing (defence). In a raid with two captains, if both are adequately equipped, the more inexperienced captain should be in the damage group as a damage supporter/ sub- average off- healer, while I would prefer fighting in the more demanding off-healer/tank role.

----------------

As a side note, if you want to be the player whose tactical decisions have the greatest impact on the group play, we have probably lost this place to the lore-masters. If we are red traited (what we are supposed to be most of the time), we are more something like a "buff bot" if you evaluate how well we can cope with changing situations.
    Last edited by Benthragand; Nov 10 2013 at 06:42 AM.

After HD, we're going to be hybrids that can sacrifice all flexibility to be good in a particular role.

Before, what they said.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

I think there's a pretty good chance Captains will still be able to be pretty flexible after HD. It'll be trickier to trait it right, but probably still doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Elben View Post
    I think there's a pretty good chance Captains will still be able to be pretty flexible after HD. It'll be trickier to trait it right, but probably still doable.
    Actually, we're gonna have MORE flexibility post HD.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Arrow

Captains have being able to main heal, main tank & dps before Helms deeps. I have done those roles on my captain without any issue. Just to make it efficient must trait whole of 1 line at the time. This will be the same on Helms Deep release just instead trait lines will be trait trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Actually, we're gonna have MORE flexibility post HD.
    This right here is correct. People just have to stop going all the way to a capstone and assuming they'll still have flexibility.