We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Your favorite LotR games?

What are your favorite LotR games? It could be just one or multiple. As for me, my top 3 favorites are...

1. LotRO
    2. The Third Age for the Nintendo Gamecube
    3. Lego Lord of the Rings

Of course Lotro is my number one favorite lotr game. It used to be Third Age before I played Lotro.

Come to think of it, this is the only LOTR game I have ever played.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

Lotro ofcourse! And before servers went down, lotr conquest was really nice too. War in the north and Bfme werent that bad, though gameplay could have been better in my opinion.

The Lord of The Rings Online of course, first MMO I ever played and still the best in my opinion, of course, that might be because I'm such a big Tolkien fan. : D My second favorite would be Lego LOTR. I played War in The North, but I wasn't that impressed, although I did enjoy decapitating orcs.

Modded Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth II - Rise of the Witch King. Still my favorite game. LOTRO was back in Golden era.

That strategy game captures LOTR "feeling" and atmosphere perfectly. I really loved it. Great memories.

I recommend to any fan, esp with ROTK Mod 1.6 Its a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Melunielsigh View Post
    Modded Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth II - Rise of the Witch King. Still my favorite game. LOTRO was back in Golden era.

That strategy game captures LOTR "feeling" and atmosphere perfectly. I really loved it. Great memories.

I recommend to any fan, esp with ROTK Mod 1.6 Its a blast.
    I've been thinking about trying, Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth II, it looks pretty cool, I heard that the mod really made things interesting, in a good way. Would you say that its worth the buy? How does the mod improve on the original game?

Quote Originally Posted by ElffriendNick View Post
    I've been thinking about trying, Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth II, it looks pretty cool, I heard that the mod really made things interesting, in a good way. Would you say that its worth the buy? How does the mod improve on the original game?

Buy it. You wont regret it. Mods add tons of new stuff, like heroes, units,balance changes or major changes to gameplay.

F example - ( Get this mod , its the best ) You will need expansion.

http://lordoftherings.filefront.com/file/;98265

Changes list:

eatures of RJ - RotWK 1.06 (A Mod for Battle for Middle Earth: The Rise of the Witch-King)
    - 10 Factions including Gondor, Rohan, Dwarves, Elves (3 sub-factions), Arnor, Mordor, Isengard, Wild, Men of the East (2 sub-factions), and Angmar
    - Many of the factions have been completely revamped
    - Over 70+ new heroes/units/structres and more have been added, with 6 new fortress, 5 new walls, a slew of heroes, and a new inn system.
    - A return to the feel of BFME1
    - Smaller combinable hordes - 100s of different combinations
    - All units can level to 10, not just heroes, and they level with increases similar to BFME1
    - Structures can level up through experience as well as a purchased upgrade
    - A move towards making each faction's play style unique and different, to bring out the character of the faction
    - A camera system has been added to many of the maps, letting you explore the game and Middle-Earth in entirely new ways.
    - A huge amount of high-quality skins for new and existing units/heroes
    - Hundreds of pieces of art for new and existing units/structures/heroes
    - So many other minor changes to enhance your enjoyment of the game.

Huge amount of stuff.

Grab the copy , they are very cheap now.

P.S. There is also a mod which allows you to have Unlimited command points , so you literally can revive battles ^^

I've menaged to create 3000+ strong Uruk Hai army , but unfortunately crashed, not due to my system. Engine can't handle that much. But it can wary, sometimes I could create even more and didn't crash. Its unstable when creating massive armies. But keep in mind that game is old six years and cant handle that much.

Its still has very good graphic tho!

CHECK MY OLD XFIRE PROFILE <3 I saved about 100 screens - I HIGHLY suggest you check it. Its with latest mods and maxed graphics with EPIC battles across Middle-Earth!

Enoy

http://www.xfire.com/users/eaglehear...e2/screenshots

http://www.xfire.com/screenshots/107397379
    - Minor fragment of my Uruk-Hai Army ready to destory anything in their path
    http://www.xfire.com/screenshots/107397242

P.S.S. Custom Heroes are Epic.

Damn! Now I am really eager to play it again after 3 years!
    Last edited by Melunielsigh; Oct 08 2013 at 05:09 AM.

Im definetly checking Battle for Middle earth II with mods.

Other LOTR games I played.

Fellowship of the Ring for PC, the game was great you played frodo escaping from been captured by Nazgul until you reached the old forest.

And LOTRO is the best LOTR game I played since.

Along with what others have said, my top in no particular order would be

BFME1
    BFME2/RotWK (With mods) though I am a little biased here
    LOTRO

Lego LotR was fun with my kids.
    [u][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmEsCKAb7r0"]Sauron vs. Tom Bombadil[/url][/u][COLOR="Red"] [/color][COLOR="Orange"] A fun what-if video I hope brings a smile[/color][COLOR="Red"][/color]

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    Come to think of it, this is the only LOTR game I have ever played.
    Same...well, not quite. This is the only LOTR video game that I've played and liked very much. War in the North was pretty good.

What I'm really into now is The Lord of the Rings living card game (LCG). So much so that I blog and podcast about it and play obsessively. It's great!

Lotro is my favorite. But I also really love Third Age(The game where Legolas forgot to bring his bow to Helm's Deep), and the battle for middle earth series. Two towers and Return Of the King are good too. And The Lord of the Rings Battlefront(woops i mean Conquest) is Average(And very glitchy).
    -Holmon

Wink

I think I'd say...

LOTR Return of the king video game (It was old but great, you can't jump or fall or anything fun like that but the combat system was amazing, the warden reminds me a bit of it actually! )

LOTRO of course it in that list,

LOTR conquest was and IS amazing!

I played BFME2 and loved it to death.

I never played Lego LOTR so idk about that...

The Lord of The Rings Online is my favorite one.

nail care
    Last edited by kevbeans; Apr 24 2014 at 06:06 AM.

LOTRO of course.
    Battle for Middle-Earth, I and II, were alright.

Mu biggest issue with most games, as it was with the movies, is that Tolkien deals with much older ideas. Wryd, courage, luch, chance... all of those older Anglo-Saxon and Norse values and ideas. But few games really capture that for me. I think Third Age Total War, a mod for Medieval II, did a good job in some ways. So apart from LOTRO I think that would have to be my favourite.

The Third Age on Nintendo GC had a great battle system (similar to the old FF games), and some really cool effects. Not a lot of adventuring/exploring as you pretty much take five steps in the open world and get attacked, but the more enemies you engage the stronger your characters get. The story follows a group of 'the other guys' who follow in the wake of the fellowship and this game's characters are well-done and likeable. If you are a big on Lore I would not suggest this one as there are many Lore-breaking aspects. But if you like going from one battle to another, visiting iconic locations, and building up your character's strengths it's a lot fun.

Battle for Middle Earth 2 ROTWK on PC is another classic. RTS game, was really my first time playing that kind of video game. I wasnt very good solo as I'd always get beaten by higher ranked players, but in the 4,6, or 8 player map games it really was a lot of fun. I tried loggin in a couple years ago to find out that it had literally gone offline about a month or two before. So I spent some of that winter playing v the computer. Still had a blast, but was disapointed that EA had taken the servers down.

The Two Towers & ROTK on Nintnedo GC Just some good 'ol hack n slash fun as you can pick your hero, visit iconic locations, and go to town killing orcs. It's been awhile since I played but I remember just camping at Osgiliath or someplace and playing that one level for a couple hours lol, or playing Sam in Cirith Ungol nonstop. Some combos for characters to learn, but otherwise a straightforward action packed orc smasher fest with pretty good graphics, oh and you might need to pull a lever now and then.

The Battle for Middle-Earth games are really fun, though some parts are excessive. A game I recently played and enjoyed was War in the North, it really wasn't what I was expecting; the only downside is it's kind of short and doesn't have much for unlockable bonus content.

Then there's The Third Age, I played the XBox version. It's cool as a turn-based LotR game and it has some unique character types, but some of the things in it are ridiculous. Best part is that you can play as some notable bosses after you've beaten them in the campaign.
    "I am gloating so, so very much right now. Everyone called me a fool to do every deed! People pointed and laughed! And now, I have a horse with a smock! HAHAHAHAHA" - Anamatronix

If you like the Total War games, there is a middle earth mod for Medieval 2 called Third Age, whereby the world is a map of middle earth and the factions are fairly true to Tolkien lore. You can play any group from the Silvan elves to Far Harad and all between.

Talking

1 lotro 2 lotr conquest