We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Crashing, crashing, crashing

Lifetime member here, and I've been trying to get back into LotRO to level up in time for HD but the game just does not want to cooperate. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction, because tickets to support have gotten me nowhere. I'm to the point where I'm just going to give up on the game, which is really disappointing since I've been with LotRO for a long time and have jumped through a lot of hoops to be able to play it (Bootcamp, VMWare, Crossover games, and now supposedly what I've been waiting for, the Mac client).

I've got a 2013 MacBook Pro with top of the line everything, 16GB memory, 750GB SSD with about half of the space free, Retina display. The thing is awesome... except when I try to play LotRO.

I can log in and get into the server, and I can select a character; however, once I'm in on my character, the game will inevitably crash. It had been better for a while after the patch before the last one, and I was able to play for a couple of hours at a time. Now with the most recent patch, I'm on my character for about 15 seconds before crashing to desktop. I've tried logging in several times today and gave up out of frustration.

What have I tried to fix this? I had installed through Steam, so I uninstalled, got a fresh download of the install files NOT from Steam, and then reinstalled. I put my graphic options to the very bottom of the barrel. I turned off post-processing. I turned off lighting and shadows. I set the engine speed to very low.

What else can I do?

Quote Originally Posted by katespace77 View Post

What have I tried to fix this? I had installed through Steam, so I uninstalled, got a fresh download of the install files NOT from Steam, and then reinstalled. I put my graphic options to the very bottom of the barrel. I turned off post-processing. I turned off lighting and shadows. I set the engine speed to very low.

What else can I do?
    I also did this. Once Steam didnt work i tried to go for the hard client, from LOTRO website, and still crashes, actually even faster than steam. So any kind of help would be good for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by katespace77 View Post

What else can I do?
    1- There is zero difference between the client from lotro.com and from Steam. They are identical.
    2- Running through Steam, and especially if you use the Steam Overlay is problematic.
    3- MTBF for both the Mac (and now apparently the PC Client as well) is roughly 45 minutes. Turbine has told us that "player sessions" have gotten shorter and shorter. One can't help but wonder if that statistic is "self fulfilling" because Turbine can't tell between an intentionally terminated session and a Crash. (Or, in the case of the Mac Client, a freeze.)
    4- Rohan is still less stable than older areas. Note that "Rohan" includes Bree and any other area where the "new" graphics technology has been applied.

What you don't tell us...
    1- What Mac are you using ... model, memory, etc.? --- are you low-end on the "supported" hardware/software side?
    2- Do you have a "clean install" of OSX or have you upgraded from Tiger/Leopard/Lion?
    3- What OTHER (especially 3rd party) software is installed?
    4- Where are you questing?

Now for what you don't want to hear....

Ages ago, I had two Macs, an iMac and a PowerBook. In those days, I was playing DDO and LOTRO via Codeweave's Crossover Games (Wine). Both had the same version of OSX "installed" (I think it was Snow Leopard, back then). However, I had no problems playing on the iMac, but could not keep the Powerbook running! (although it had run both games previously.) After spending several months working with the staff at Codeweavers, and being unable to find any "reason" for the problem. Except the only "obvious" difference between the two systems... the iMac was new and had a Clean install of OSX Lion, while the PowerBook had been upgraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard to Lion. So I finally bit the bullet; wiped the disk on the PowerBook, and re-installed OSX Lion from CD! Bingo... no more problems!

The theory we came up with.... My son had been using the PowerBook at school and had installed (and removed) many different media players, translators, etc.
    Over the years (especially prior to the release of Lion), it was quite common for 3rd party software, especially "media" software to install "kernel mods" to enable various features.
    The problem is/was -- those kernel mods are never deleted. They stay there release after release... correct or not! (They are installed every time at boot.)
    So, what you end up with is an OS kernel which is NOT what is expected. And especially with regard to Graphics.

In short, re-install OSX -- re-format the disk, doing a CLEAN install. Then only install "known" software that you plan to use. This is much more work than simply copying in a new copy of the OS.

This will get rid of all the "cruft" floating around.

It might also fix the problem... of course, then again it might not. (And "fix the problem" will only get you up to the 45 minute MTBF.)

One thing I should add... if you have a CURRENT OSX installation and followed Apple's instructions back in late January (2013) to remove Java from your system...YOU CANNOT download the Mac Client from lotro.com! That download uses the Pando Media Booster (PMB) which requires Java 6, 32-bit Java. However Apple's instructions (which were based on a Homeland Security memo) had you delete Java 6 and download Java 7 directly from Oracle. Java 7 is a 64-bit Java... PMB cannot run in a 64-bit Java.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (104)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (91)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Late 2013 iMac 14,2

i7 3.5GHz, 32GB Ram, 3TB Fusion drive, GTX780 with 4GB RAM. clean install of 10.8.5

Lotro client crashes every 1 to 1.5 hours

questing in starting area Dwarf area, Shire, and Breeland

Quote Originally Posted by SquSqu View Post
    Lotro client crashes every 1 to 1.5 hours
    That seems to be slightly longer than "normal" -- 45-60 min for me.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (104)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (91)