We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    26

    Another Epic Quest question

    So I'm still trying to get a feel for how to "properly" play the game, or rather how to level adequately. I am currently a LVL 16 Dwarf Champion. I am on Vol 1 Book I Chapter 10 at Tom Bombadil. Up until now, I am focusing only on the Epic Quest. Therefore, while going from place to place, I have been ignoring all other NPCs that have a ring above there head and I ignore quests or deeds that do not follow the Epic story line. Until now I have been thinking of these "side things" as non-essential to LOTR. However, recently I have been reading some posts about how these are actually important for levellling up properly and for receiving important items. Now I'm thinking I should be doing more.

    1. Should I NOT be passing these up?
    2. Will completing these be important for levelling up and for my overall enjoyment of the game?
    3. I have found the WIKI that lists all of the Epic quests. Is there a similar WIKI that will detail all of these "other" available quests?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Posts
    38
    I am a completionist when it comes to MMOs. It's sad, yes I know. However, I never pass on quests while leveling unless they are grey to me (I will return one day and complete them at level-cap). I highly suggest doing them alongside the Epic Quests as there is nothing more rewarding than going back to town and turning in 11 quests all completed. Level up a lot quicker too and never run out of quests to do.
    Zoofro Fireloins - Level 85 Dwarf Hunter (Active) - Landroval
    Zoofro Healfro - Level 64 Dwarf Runekeeper (Inactive) - Brandywine

  3. #3
    There's no way you'll be able to keep up with the Level requirements of the Epic Quest line by only running Epic Quests. The fact that there are 4 (3.5?) Epic Prolog quest lines may have helped until now, but once you're into Book 1 you just won't keep up. Questing & Skirmishes are probably your best source of experience & gear. Crafting can help. Slayer deeds will certainly give you some XP from the mindless killing, but it should get old fast.

    Don't bother with *all* the quests. In some zones I leave after I complete all of it's quest Deeds. In others I stick around for reputation. Find your balance, but you will need to find *a* balance.
    Congratulations on that Deed! You found a Nickel! Wanna go to the store & spend it now?

    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000001b659a/01003/signature.png]Thothelion[/charsig]

  4. #4
    I've found that the best option is a balanced approach. Task boards are great for local reputation and xp (there is usually some nice items to buy from reputation vendors), side quests offer a lot of good gear and xp (true, the best gear is still generally the crafted stuff), skirmishes give you a good taste of 'important' battles, and epic questing helps you feel immersed into the Lord of the Rings story-line.

    Adding the other pieces will enhance your overall experience and ensure that you don't fall behind the xp curve as you progress through the epic line.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Davingrim View Post
    1. Should I NOT be passing these up?
    2. Will completing these be important for levelling up and for my overall enjoyment of the game?
    3. I have found the WIKI that lists all of the Epic quests. Is there a similar WIKI that will detail all of these "other" available quests?
    1. I would not recommend passing them up. You can if you like, but you will run out of epic quests and need to level. Normal quests are your primary means to leveling up. They also offer good story and background.

    2. I think so. Especially gear. If you simply quest on level, your gear should be taken care of. If you skip most of the quests, you will need to buy/craft gear to compensate. Quests also send you through lots of deeds by default. Which means more traits, titles, XP, Turbine Points, etc.

    3. http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Cate...egional_Quests (as the game changes, these may be more or less outdated, but should be a good aid).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,328
    How have you reached level 16 if you skipped those other quests? You must have done a fair number of them so far. You don't have to do every single one; there are more than enough quests to reach level 85. But you will definitely need to do most of them.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by hucklebarry View Post
    1. I would not recommend passing them up. You can if you like, but you will run out of epic quests and need to level. Normal quests are your primary means to leveling up. They also offer good story and background.

    2. I think so. Especially gear. If you simply quest on level, your gear should be taken care of. If you skip most of the quests, you will need to buy/craft gear to compensate. Quests also send you through lots of deeds by default. Which means more traits, titles, XP, Turbine Points, etc.

    3. http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Cate...egional_Quests (as the game changes, these may be more or less outdated, but should be a good aid).
    That's probably why I think I'm starting to lag behind. At the Barrow Downs, most of the monsters are level 19 now while I'm still at 16. I need to start doing the other non-Epic quests.

    Thanks for the response and the link!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    How have you reached level 16 if you skipped those other quests? You must have done a fair number of them so far. You don't have to do every single one; there are more than enough quests to reach level 85. But you will definitely need to do most of them.
    I ran around and killed a lot of stuff.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Davingrim View Post
    So I'm still trying to get a feel for how to "properly" play the game, or rather how to level adequately. I am currently a LVL 16 Dwarf Champion. I am on Vol 1 Book I Chapter 10 at Tom Bombadil.
    I typically recommend that you talk to any NPC that has a ring for you. Then look in your quest log at quests whose objectives are close together. Sometimes you'll get quests from different NPCs that require killing the same creatures, or different creatures that all show up in the same area. (There's one set of quests in the eastern half of the North Downs where you can kill & loot ONE wolf and advance FIVE different quests!) This can make the time and levels fly by.

    Another reason to take all the quests is that the majority of them are chains. Quests that seem boring and pointless to start sometimes chain up to desirable rewards. You can check the wikis to see what you'll get, or just go for it. Now, I do recommend that if you find yourself with a quest that annoys you, go check that one to see if you are interested in the chain. If you're not, then cancel it. Life's too short to do quests just to say you've done all the quests, IMHO!
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload