We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FIRST EVER Legendary Weapon Advice needed (for a Captain!)

Well I have been looking for advice on the forums...(am I the only 1 who finds the forum search pretty useless?)...

FIRST EVER as in: never had a character over lv45, have NO experience what-so-ever with LI's....

Other than being advised not to trash my first as it will be the only LI I have until lv51...I have not found much...

Any good advice will be greatly appreciated

Weapon choice, I gather will have to go Halberd - I wanted to stay with 2 handed sword!...

Do whatever you want to do with it, just don't spend too much TP on it.
    The more you experiment with LI while you are leveling, the better you understand how it works.
    Pretty soon you will find a lot of LI in Moria, no worries.

The most important thing I learned about LIs was to level them to 31 and then decon them, but once you start getting lvl 66+ weapons then you should level them all the way up to 61 and then decon them.

Your first one I wouldn't worry about as you'll be getting a whole ton of them on your way to lvl 95!

Keep your first LI until at least lv53 as it is the equivalent of a lv52 thing you can get at lv45. It also has epic legs.

If soloing I'd go for Pressing Attack Targets, Devastating Blow Crit, Pressing Attack Crit and Blade of Elendil damage.

I'd make sure the relics and runes I slotted had crit, might, vit and fate on them. In that order.

Quote Originally Posted by evguenil View Post
    Do whatever you want to do with it...
    within reason...maybe threaten rockx a bit if the changes in HD to Captain don't work for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbins View Post
    The most important thing I learned about LIs was to level them to 31 and then decon them, but once you start getting lvl 66+ weapons then you should level them all the way up to 61 and then decon them.
    Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by Aedfrith View Post
    Keep your first LI until at least lv53 as it is the equivalent of a lv52 thing you can get at lv45. It also has epic legs.

If soloing I'd go for Pressing Attack Targets, Devastating Blow Crit, Pressing Attack Crit and Blade of Elendil damage.

I'd make sure the relics and runes I slotted had crit, might, vit and fate on them. In that order.
    Great stuff

3 replies and quality stuff ....

Your first one I wouldn't worry about as you'll be getting a whole ton of them on your way to lvl 95!
    I imagine so...only 50 levels to GO!

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    TOO MUCH INFORMATION!

Yeah found this...I end up with more questions than answers...

One thing also to remember. Always maximize DPS first. With the lower level legendary items DPS is your most important attribute as you will out level the items quite quickly.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000000e0046/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

In response to your question regarding weapon type you can choose a two handed sword as well. Halbarads give you greater threat whereas swords give you a parry bonus.
    Along with the racial sword damage 2% bonus it gives you the same damage as a halbarad (captain weapon bonus 2%). For most situations soloing pve a great sword is the way to go.

You really do end up with more questions...I suggest just dive right in make lots of mistakes...none of them are permanent!

1) Personally, I only use t1 or t2 relics in my LIs until I reach level cap. Then and only then worry about combining and such to get the best relics for my main LIs. Otherwise you're going to be buying lots of relic removal scrolls.

2) Assuming that you are mostly soloing/leveling, I agree with those who suggest maximizing DPS until you reach level cap or the point at which you start to group/instance/raid.

3) 2H sword gives more survivability (parry), one could argue so does 2H club (helps group out also), 2H axe or arguably 2H hammer are going to increase DPS just a tad. Draconfier nicely points out 2% racial bonus so 2H swords can also mean DPS. I think swords look cool but increasingly wonder if I should use something else for grouping (something that helps out the whole raid). I seldom need more threat from a halberd. And some use halberd just because we're the only class that can.

4) Personally, while leveling I would trade in my weapon every 3-5 levels to keep DPS up. If you have a 2nd Age or even 1st Age not so much. Decon at 31 then later decon at 60-61. (How does one decon at 61? By first burning a scroll of delving? Too expensive for my tastes.) I do recommend keeping track of which legacy scrolls you have on hand for later.

When reforging an LI for the first 3 times, you'll be offered 2 new legacies to choose from. If one has a gold rim around it, choose that one, even if it doesn't seem as useful as the silver-rim alternative.

When replacing legacies on an LI, a silver rim can replace either gold or silver rim legacies already on the LI. A gold rim can only replace another gold rim. (If you replace a gold rim with a silver rim, you can later replace that silver rim with other silver rims, but you can never change it back to a gold rim.)

The gold rims are called "Major" legacies (or "pool A" legacies); the silver rims are "Minor" legacies (or "pool B" legacies). You are guaranteed 3 major legacy slots on a new LI -- the 3 legacies when it is first identified will always be majors. (You can use 1 "Crystal of Remembrance" to add another major legacy slot later, but those are expensive -- don't bother with them on your early LIs.) A 4th or even 5th major from reforges can be quite useful, so grab them if they're offered.

edit: Look into the plugin LI Planner; it can be quite helpful in planning out legacy point allocation. It's not a full substitute for monkeying with practice LIs, but it's a much better resource than the Lotro Store if all you need is a list of your class legacies.
    Last edited by banjolier; Oct 05 2013 at 06:18 PM.

My first suggestion would be:

Always keep your LI panel full. Even if you are only using 1 halberd (or other weapon) and 1 emblem, that leaves 4 free LI slots to level up "trash LIs". Level them up to max and then deconstruct them. That gives you XP Runes that you can then save up to help level up the LIs you are actively using (especially helpful for max-level, so that you can get a really nice set of LIs and use the runes to automatically level the LIs to the max, instead of having to level them up manually). Also, you can extract a legacy when you do this, so that you can save up legacies and put them on new LIs.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of [U][B]Riddermark[/B][/U]ed For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ [U][B]Landroval[/B][/U]

Missed by previous replies I believe, your first legendary item only goes up to level 40, but tends to have good tiers/legacies, so don't rush to replace it without good reason.

Do not decon at 31 like someone previously suggested unless you are talking trash legendaries you've gotten later (51+) solely for the purpose of decon. The reason to decon at 31 is twofold, one, you get more relics than at 30, two, 30+ you get to select a legacy to turn into a scroll you may apply to a similarly leveled legendary. IE, once you know the legacies you like, you stuff scrolls in your vault. At level 60, find a legendary that has a couple already on it with decent tiers, apply scrolls with others, voilà, custom item with just what you want. (Note, legacies applied via scrolls go on at tier two.)

If you are grouping, you'll also want a buff stick (probably a moot point once Helm's Deep releases) which you swap to before applying buffs, then swap back to your regular item before combat. It helps if your buff stick is OBVIOUS compared to your regular item so you don't enter combat with it.

In Dolven View, there are repeatable quests to get legendary title scrolls for your items.

You want Ancient-dwarven damage type for your first few items, so you can get Thorin's rep out of Sarnur (MOBs below there aren't particularly affected by other damage types), and you can get physical mitigation from Midnight Raid in Eregion.
    [center]Click here for our community [url=https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0As1T2ZXLPqhTdE05T21qYklYRFF3emVuM18zTnU0aGc&hl=en]LOTRO store pricelist, conversion rates and pictures[/url], please contribute too![/center]

but once you start getting lvl 66+ weapons then you should level them all the way up to 61 and then decon them.
    61?
    I don't know about you, but I'm not made of Greater/Ridermark Scrolls of Delving to go around adding 10 levels to trash LI's just to get them to 61 for a decon.

Quote Originally Posted by banjolier View Post
    When reforging an LI for the first 3 times, you'll be offered 2 new legacies to choose from. If one has a gold rim around it, choose that one, even if it doesn't seem as useful as the silver-rim alternative.
    So keep the gold

THX

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    You want Ancient-dwarven damage type for your first few items, so you can get Thorin's rep out of Sarnur (MOBs below there aren't particularly affected by other damage types), and you can get physical mitigation from Midnight Raid in Eregion.
    Will head there as soon as I get my Legendary

THX

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    Always keep your LI panel full. Even if you are only using 1 halberd (or other weapon) and 1 emblem, that leaves 4 free LI slots to level up "trash LIs". Level them up to max and then deconstruct them. That gives you XP Runes that you can then save up to help level up the LIs you are actively using (especially helpful for max-level, so that you can get a really nice set of LIs and use the runes to automatically level the LIs to the max, instead of having to level them up manually). Also, you can extract a legacy when you do this, so that you can save up legacies and put them on new LIs.
    Will do...First to get the first Legendary, not got there yet...I took a detour and ended up in Misty Mountains

Quote Originally Posted by tsunamimc View Post
    Will do...First to get the first Legendary, not got there yet...
    Assuming your Signature is accurate, and your Captain is lvl 47, I'd advise dropping everything you're doing and run to Eregion, Echad Dunann to get your LI. I always do that as soon as I hit 45.

A side from that, while it is recommended you have 4 trash LI's equipped, you more than likely won't be getting enough until lvl 53. That's to say, for lvl 51-52, any LI you find will be coming from mob drops and there's no guarantee that it'll drop one you can use.
    However, there are venders in Bree, Dolen-View, 21st Hall and Lothlorien that will barter for any of your LI's from lvl 53-59 with commonly dropped, Rusted Dwarf Tools and Khuzdul Tablets.

Unfortunately, after 59, you're going to be largely dependent on mob drops again, there are other barter NPCs, but they aren't as practical as the aforementioned ones, and crafting isn't practical for obtaining trash LIs.

Quote Originally Posted by HaleElven View Post
    Assuming your Signature is accurate, and your Captain is lvl 47, I'd advise dropping everything you're doing and run to Eregion, Echad Dunann to get your LI.
    Okay I dropped what I was doing in Misty Mountains (after killing more bears, completing Epic bk.5 and finding some rare pieces of broken vase (mysteriously picked up by snow lurkers and left in snow drifts...REALLY!) and am heading South.

At last got my FIRST LEGENDARY WEAPON

and I messed up...what already?

Yeah as suggested above grab your legendary and run to Sarnur to grind rep for Thorin's Hall...

Did only to find that I had erred at quest 10 of Volume II, Book 1 of the Epic:

Chapter 10: Forgotten Lineage, rewards is to chose 1 of these scrolls...
    Scion of the Drowned Kingdom – westernesse dmg, name implies watery death and I was to kill a tentacle so I chose it...
    Guardian of the Deep Halls – this gives dwarf dmg and is needed for Sarnur!!!! OOPS!

Looks like I can change it to Dwarven at level 54!

Keep in mind, that in the first area of Sarnur, the (other than the rare spawns) mobs don't have the resistance they have in other areas.
    So, if you just avoid the rare spawns, if they're up, you should be golden to hunt in the outer area even if you chose westernesse over ancient-dwarf.

Legendary Adventure Continues

Well I am still adventuring in Moria...

My 1st EVER legendary Weapon is now MAXED at lv40...I have just harvested and deconstructed my first crop of lv31 LIs...I have invested all of the XP into a Great Sword which I like: I think it is one I bought from LI vendor..still an Age3. DMG is much higher than the Halberd and I have always preferred the 2 handed sword for my Cappy!

I saw I could get a 1st age from lv 60 is that right?

I have struggled to find good Crafted Relics (I am almost at LI crafting stage with my Cappy...just 1 more guild level but so busy playing I don't like to craft )

If I get a silver legacy on a legendary...is it time to bin it and try again?

The Relic Game
    Tier 1 relics needed for a tier 7 relic: 2160...I have a couple Tier 7's...WOW! I keep going I presume? Hope to get and equip a Tier 8 Calenard Setting of Might with a +1 Might to the T7 is it worth it?

Should I be Refining them for shards?

Any response and or advice is welcome...

My overall response to LI's so far is positive

Quote Originally Posted by tsunamimc View Post
    TOO MUCH INFORMATION!

Yeah found this...I end up with more questions than answers...
    What did you expect? You are a beginner. It would be well worth your while to bookmark that page and refer back to it often.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickysmom View Post
    What did you expect? You are a beginner. It would be well worth your while to bookmark that page and refer back to it often.
    I do and yeah it does make more sense now...

But it is nice to hear uncle Forum whispering in my ear

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast