We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Forums do NOT scale to browser window

It was originally stated, IIRC, that these new forums would scale to the size of our browsers. That was theoretically going to be one of the perks, yes? Well, the old forums fit my browser just fine. Once the change was made, the forums were about an inch too wide. Since then that has grown to about two inches too wide.

I've gone quite a while without saying anything, thinking perhaps there would be a change soon, but I am starting to get extremely frustrated.

When reading any thread, I have to keep my cursor on the horizontal scroll bar and slide it left and right, left and right, left and right, so that I can read each any every line. This is driving me batty. It's hard to read anything so wide. It would be like using Notepad without word wrap. Scroll all the way to the end of the line and then scroll back and hope you are on the correct line by the time you get back there.

Please, will this be fixed any time soon? Using these forums has become incredibly cumbersome. Any time I want to quote someone or even just post my own messages, I have to scroll to the right before the button is even visible on my screen.

I don't even understand why it is so huge. There is a huge blank space on the far right of my screen that is completely unnecessary. -.-
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Using Firefox, this reply is being composed in a window scaled across 3 monitors for a total with of 5760 pixels.

Seems to be working just fine.

Edit: It scales up just fine, not down below a minimum width, somewhere about 1280.
    TANSTAAFL

There was a lot of complaint about this issue when the new forums went live. I got the impression that Turbine has things set up the way they want - maybe they all use much wider browser windows than we do...

The workaround folks came up with in those earlier threads was to use a plugin called "Stylish" (should be easy to google where to get it, I know it works for Firefox, not sure about other browsers). The style I use is

Code:
    @-moz-document domain("www.lotro.com") {

html[lang="en"] .header-wrap > header > nav > a:first-child {
        background-image: none !important;
    }

body > div > div > header > nav > a:first-child {
        background-image:none !important;

}

.header-wrap > header > nav > ul {
        padding-left: 0px !important;
    }

body { 
    min-width: 900px !important;
    }
    I think the min-width term is the important part.

I'd search for that original thread (and properly attribute who first posted that style code - sorry, whoever you are! ), but my main complaint about the new forums is that the search usually thinks you've just run a search and won't let you do one. Typically I'll type something into the search box, hit enter, and get the page saying "you must wait 20 seconds before doing another search" as if I'd actually done a search yet... Then I'll wait the 20 seconds, hit search again, and sometimes it will work, sometimes it will just give me that "you must wait 20 seconds" page again. Repeat until the search actually runs. So even the simplest search takes about a minute before it will deign to execute and show me the results.

I also use Firefox. It seems to have no trouble scaling wider, as I've also noticed. But I still don't see why all that unnecessary space on the far right of the screen is necessary. There is a lot of wasted space on this forum that forces members like me to constantly scroll horizontally.

I've also noticed that there are sometimes links at the top above the tabs that are for twitter, FB and youtube, but the links (or rather, icons) were only partially visible and sometimes not seen at all.

I've also had troubles with the search engine on these forums. I usually don't get that error, though. Usually I just get told that my search parameters were saved or something to that effect and it doesn't actually complete a search at all. -.-

Is that stylish plugin one that I can obtain by going to Firefox's own plugin listing?

Quote Originally Posted by J_Howell View Post
    My main complaint about the new forums is that the search usually thinks you've just run a search and won't let you do one. Typically I'll type something into the search box, hit enter, and get the page saying "you must wait 20 seconds before doing another search" as if I'd actually done a search yet... Then I'll wait the 20 seconds, hit search again, and sometimes it will work, sometimes it will just give me that "you must wait 20 seconds" page again. Repeat until the search actually runs. So even the simplest search takes about a minute before it will deign to execute and show me the results.
    It works best if you don't wait 20 seconds before searching again. Search after about 15 seconds and it should go through. Worst case, it says wait 5 seconds. Wait 5 seconds and it goes through. Not sure why it breaks if it has been more than about 30(?) seconds since the last search.

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    Usually I just get told that my search parameters were saved or something to that effect and it doesn't actually complete a search at all. -.-
    That happens if you hit the "Go" button instead of the "Search Now" button.

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    Is that stylish plugin one that I can obtain by going to Firefox's own plugin listing?
    Yes, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...userstyleshome

I'm on Firefox as I type this and I do not see any wasted space. I am currently on a WS 19" monitor at work. What gave me fits with the revamped forum was being on my old 15" square screen monitor.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHKNYGHT View Post
    That happens if you hit the "Go" button instead of the "Search Now" button.
    That may indeed be what I was hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Howell View Post
    Thanks, I'll see if that helps me any. Stinks we have to use an outside plugin for such a basic thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I'm on Firefox as I type this and I do not see any wasted space. I am currently on a WS 19" monitor at work. What gave me fits with the revamped forum was being on my old 15" square screen monitor.
    Well, posts and stuff like that can easily be word-wrapped. On my screen, on the top right, we have the PLAY FREE NOW [RING SYMBOL] button. On the right side of that there is almost 2 inches of blank space. If that blank space was removed, and the thread/forum/post boxes word-wrapped accordingly, those 2ish inches could be easily shaved off without interfering at all with the overall layout of the website.