We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    43

    I'm just looking for a class, nothing else

    Hello, I'm quite an old player of Lotro and I just wanted to know what is EASIER to play in Raids/Instances
    Burglar, Warden, Champion or LoreMaster
    I'm thinking of leveling one up to raid and I just wanted to know
    Yours
    Angus

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    1,876
    Quote Originally Posted by angus_hunter View Post
    Hello, I'm quite an old player of Lotro and I just wanted to know what is EASIER to play in Raids/Instances
    Burglar, Warden, Champion or LoreMaster
    I'm thinking of leveling one up to raid and I just wanted to know
    Yours
    Angus
    MY OPINION ONLY-BASED ON OBSERVATION. (Their usual group/raid role in brackets-note-this is not the only role- just the most common as seen i GLFF and kin raids)

    Not sure how basic you want the answer to be. All classes can feel 'easy' in a raid if you know what you are doing, and enjoy the class. But here's an attempt to give you a feel for the differneces in group play.

    Warden's have to be played very competently-and differently from solo in order to tank some content. Once learned though, they can do almost anything. Some people resist taking warden tanks on some content. Good wardens can solo almost anything in game but need to be played regularly. There's a fair bit of memory involved. I have one at 20 something and I have to relearn him every time i go back to play him. More complex class, but a bit OP. (dps/tank)

    Burglars-i played one to level 10 and deleted him. I just didn't get on with the play but you may have different experience. Few people know what exactly they do (sneak sneak, stab stab) so they are rarely blamed if things go wrong in a raid! More complex class but seem to be able to handle most things (including duoing school/library on level at 78.) Do amazingly clever support to the group and use CJs/fellowship manoevres. Burglar stacking was the way to go for some raids for a while. Mostly welcome, in any group. (support?/dps?). Better ask a burg

    Champion-easy to solo and level up. Melee dps with uber aoes. Mine got to 30 effortlessly. Then I decided I'm a ranged tactical class or healing player and always will be. Players who choose to, can off-tank most, and main tank some, current instances. Usually used as dps in raids but I've done many BfE tier 1s and a few tier2s, with champ as tank on one side. If there's a dps slot, most groups are happy enough with a champ. If it's a speed run, the more the merrier! And it seems like a whole load of fun as a class. (dps)

    Loremaster. More complex than champs. Do major aoe dps for short periods. They CC through slowing, stunning, fearing and and mezzing. They do some healing. They are Power boosters. I think a famous champ thread says all LMs skills are based on being afraid and making the mobs stop attacking them. BUT a friend of mine on silverlode is one of the highest ranked freeps in PvP on the server. The hard bit to get used to, imo, is the pets. Good LMs are welcome pretty well everywhere in instances and demanded/required in some raids. (support)

    note-the class change developer diaries are out for some of these classes. Maybe read them and decide. The class revamp is likely to effect some major changes.

    And the minstrel sang to them……”and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    612
    The easiest class to play in raid/group is the healer. That's what I've learned after playing 7 classes, from dps, heal, tank to support, from 3 man to t2c raids. As a healer you dont need to have deep knowledge about the mechanic of the instances. Usually you just stand still and heal. Example as healer in a raid, I can go grab a drink while the leader give the long list of orders before the fight: LM cc the orc, burg cc the b warg, guard pick up the c uruks, move him away and dont break any cc, hunter watch out the slug that spawn every 30s and kill it immediately, champ remove the warg A corruption, LM remove the warg B corruption...

    As a dps, you need to might what skill you are using, where are you standing, when to move, which target should you dps, mind interrupt, remove corruption... Specially in t2c raid, breaking a cc with your AoE, stand in the wrong posion, move in the death cloud or just target and kill a mob slower few seconds could lead to a wipe.

    As a tank, things even more difficult. Not just position and AoE, you also need to know where and when mobs come, and how to keep aggro from crazy dps.

    A cc support class need to know which mob to cc, when and where it will spawn. For LM, you have to mind about fellowship power, SI, remove corruption, debuff, warter lore, heal some dps, oh and did you forget re-mezz that thing over there? For burg you have to mind about position, movement...

    For the list that you give, I'd say maybe LM is the easier class, then champ, for T2 raids. But since the game become easier and easier, maybe... well... you dont need to worry about position, cc, corruption... and such anymore, so I'd say... whatever.

  4. #4
    Personally I'd question the sanity of anyone who thinks LM is an easier class than champ. Its simply that people without an LM (or burg or captain) don't really notice what the class does during a raid until attention is called to it.


    Answer: Champ
    Why: Even a bad champ who doesn't care to learn a raid knows their role- Kill stuff. The End.


    Does that mean champs can't be instance literate and perform a more complex role? Absolutely not. But lets face it, leaders usually choose a lm/burg/ward for a reason, champs are there to be blenders of death.
    [center] [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000024db46/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/center]

  5. #5
    Champion.

    Champion: So, what am I supposed to do here?
    Leader: See those guys over there?
    Champion: Ya.
    Leader: Kill em. Quickly.
    Champion: Kill em. Check. Anything else?
    Leader: Ya. Don't stand in the fire.
    Champion: Don't stand in the fire. Check. How come the hunter always stands in the fire?
    Leader: *sighs* Hunters just do that.

  6. #6
    from what i know about general game mechanics, of the four, champ is the easiest. however, for most raids, tanking is easy for me. to play an LM properly as a support class, as opposed to a DPS class, it takes a lot to do it properly, burgs are the same way. i do disagree that healers are easy to play, imo, healers and tanks have the highest pressure on them of all the people in the raid.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000263626/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by sarcasm_society View Post
    Personally I'd question the sanity of anyone who thinks LM is an easier class than champ. Its simply that people without an LM (or burg or captain) don't really notice what the class does during a raid until attention is called to it.


    Answer: Champ
    Why: Even a bad champ who doesn't care to learn a raid knows their role- Kill stuff. The End.


    Does that mean champs can't be instance literate and perform a more complex role? Absolutely not. But lets face it, leaders usually choose a lm/burg/ward for a reason, champs are there to be blenders of death.
    I have both. This view is from T2C raid, not Samborg where champ can just pull everything and AoE them all. In a T2C raid, the job of an urber champ isnt just dps, champ have to mind alot. Indeed the LM have to use many skills, but because I've played the RK before, so for me, rotation SI, debuff and cc, feed power, water-lore... while stand in 1 place is much more easier than watch out position, watch out AoE, watch out fevour, watch out morale, watch out when to kill which, watch out reflection, to move or not to move, in range or not in range...
    Last edited by Hiritier; Sep 18 2013 at 07:21 AM.

  8. #8
    You can play all classes you mentioned with little training, except the warden:

    As a warden, you need to remember your gambits. You don't need to learn them by brute force, there seems to be some system to it. Still, as a warden you have a lot of possibilities and, thus, a lot of choice. Since you're most likely to fill the role of the tank in a raid situation, your failing might cause a wipe. So, I'd say that the warden is the most difficult to play.

    Concerning the other three classes: The worst that could happen is that you don't debuff the mobs effectively (lore-master, burglar) or that your damage output is too low (champion, maybe burglar too). Note that I'm not talking about T2 challenge mode raids. With all classes, you can break an important stun. Maybe, the champ is more likely to do so when played without concentration due to his many and tempting aoe damage skills. (Some champs just can't resist the Shing-Shing.) If you aim at T2 or even T2 challenge mode raids, all those classes, as well as any other class, have to be mastered. The lore-master's debuffs and support skills need to be executed on the point, likewise for the burglar's. And the champ might have to coordinate targeting and damage.

    So, in the end it's all up to the question, which role you would like to fill in a raid.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiritier View Post
    The easiest class to play in raid/group is the healer. That's what I've learned after playing 7 classes, from dps, heal, tank to support, from 3 man to t2c raids. As a healer you dont need to have deep knowledge about the mechanic of the instances. Usually you just stand still and heal. Example as healer in a raid, I can go grab a drink while the leader give the long list of orders before the fight: LM cc the orc, burg cc the b warg, guard pick up the c uruks, move him away and dont break any cc, hunter watch out the slug that spawn every 30s and kill it immediately, champ remove the warg A corruption, LM remove the warg B corruption...

    As a dps, you need to might what skill you are using, where are you standing, when to move, which target should you dps, mind interrupt, remove corruption... Specially in t2c raid, breaking a cc with your AoE, stand in the wrong posion, move in the death cloud or just target and kill a mob slower few seconds could lead to a wipe.

    As a tank, things even more difficult. Not just position and AoE, you also need to know where and when mobs come, and how to keep aggro from crazy dps.

    A cc support class need to know which mob to cc, when and where it will spawn. For LM, you have to mind about fellowship power, SI, remove corruption, debuff, warter lore, heal some dps, oh and did you forget re-mezz that thing over there? For burg you have to mind about position, movement...

    For the list that you give, I'd say maybe LM is the easier class, then champ, for T2 raids. But since the game become easier and easier, maybe... well... you dont need to worry about position, cc, corruption... and such anymore, so I'd say... whatever.
    I will have to disagree with this statement. The mechanics of healing are easy, but actually keeping everyone alive can be very stressful, especially in PUGs. I love it when there's a multitude of minis/rks and I can war-speech to dps murder everything, because for the vast majority of stuff it's follow the target assist. There might be a couple instances where it's more complex than that, but it's not that hard to remember which targets not to hit.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by nightday View Post
    I will have to disagree with this statement. The mechanics of healing are easy, but actually keeping everyone alive can be very stressful, especially in PUGs. I love it when there's a multitude of minis/rks and I can war-speech to dps murder everything, because for the vast majority of stuff it's follow the target assist. There might be a couple instances where it's more complex than that, but it's not that hard to remember which targets not to hit.
    Well, then the problem is not yours. You dont need to change you class. Only need to change people that you run with. Maybe the tank fail to keep aggro from the dps, maybe the dps stand in the wrong place, dps the reflection mobs, LM forgot to SI the tank... Again, im talking from the view of T2C raid where there is more things to mind than just pull a bunches of mobs and AoE. And for T2C raid I only run with kins, not pug.
    Last edited by Hiritier; Sep 18 2013 at 02:14 PM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload