We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Advice on woodsman vs. historian?

Ok, so it's been a long time since I was on these forums, but I'm being ridiculously indecisive right now, so I'm looking for some advice...

I have (on the same server) a burglar, a hunter and a newly created loremaster. The burglar is a tinkerer (jeweller, cook, prospector), the hunter is an explorer (forester, tailor, prospector) and I can't decide what to make the loremaster. The character I had before, now replaced by the loremaster, was a champion and a historian, so at first I thought of just making the loremaster a historian like her predecessor. However, I now have two characters whose classes require a weapon crafted by a woodworker... Just how important is it in higher levels to be able to craft your own staff/bow? And how important are potions? It feels like a historian could give me more (covering melee weapons, burglar devices, hunter traps, and potions, books, oils...), but I don't know how much good those things will do if I'm equipped with a very substandard bow/staff.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by heri_sinye View Post
    Ok, so it's been a long time since I was on these forums, but I'm being ridiculously indecisive right now, so I'm looking for some advice...

I have (on the same server) a burglar, a hunter and a newly created loremaster. The burglar is a tinkerer (jeweller, cook, prospector), the hunter is an explorer (forester, tailor, prospector) and I can't decide what to make the loremaster. The character I had before, now replaced by the loremaster, was a champion and a historian, so at first I thought of just making the loremaster a historian like her predecessor. However, I now have two characters whose classes require a weapon crafted by a woodworker... Just how important is it in higher levels to be able to craft your own staff/bow? And how important are potions? It feels like a historian could give me more (covering melee weapons, burglar devices, hunter traps, and potions, books, oils...), but I don't know how much good those things will do if I'm equipped with a very substandard bow/staff.

Any suggestions?
    At higher levels you are going to use Legendary weapons anyway. Third Age legendaries drop in droves once you get to Moria and beyond. Having the right crafting skill (and guild) can be useful for crafting your own Second and First Age legendaries, but since those require some quite rare ingredients you are not going to craft such very often. It is often easier just buying such from the AH or asking some friend to craft it for you when/if needed.
    Even before you start using Legendary weapons there are some quite nice quest rewards available.

In short, not being able to craft your own weapons is not going to be a serious problem.

In your case I would pick Historian. Apart from the Scholar profession providing useful stuff for just about any class, it also includes Farmer profession so you can get materials for your burglar's Cook profession. Since your two other toons both have the Prospector profession you will also have easy time getting materials for Weaponsmith profession.

Definitely the scholar. If you are supplying the materials it pretty easy to get someone to craft LI's. Potion wise you will pick up a lot while levelling. However you can craft crafting scrolls,dyes and pocket items.

The hardest part of leveling the scholar are the lower tiers. One way around this is to farm for low tier dye materials and craft dye. At later levels you will also get plenty of raw scholar materials from killing mobs.

Thanks for the advice! I've finally made her a historian... should be rather easy to level up at first as I still have some lower tier mats gathered on the other characters