We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Tarnished Crest of Rohan drop rates

I know this may just be the way my luck is running, but I conducted a test recently. I normally grab every single node I see either to use the resources or to sell them. I had been adventuring in Wildermore with two toons for several months. But I noticed very few Tarnished Crests of Rohan dropping compared to my best memory of drops in Rohan.

So for the last two weeks, I have continued my normal grabbing of nodes in Wildermore, and in that time, got over 900 resources (Oak and Riddermark Ore) but got only one Tarnished Crest. Each week I sent one of my toons into Rohan on a farming run, and both times with less than 200 resources gathered, I got three Tarnished Crests the first time, and four during the second run.

So not sure if theres a discrepancy in drop rates, or my luck was just acting up. Anyone else notice a lack of Tarnished Crests dropping in Wildermore?
    As soon as they idiot proof something, the others send in some slack-jawed, drooling stooge to gum up the works.

I don't 'farm' nodes, but I will collect any node that pops up on radar as I'm out questing.

Sometimes I can get 3 or 4 per day, sometimes 3 or 4 per week, but I never seem to be short of them.
    I generally find that the drop rate is about 1 crest per stack of mats on average.

For me, I've actually noticed more Tarnished Crests in Wildermore than in Rohan. Currently have 49 of them in my vault, plus the countless ones I used in crafting.

I hope the drop rate increases for you!
    100Grd 101Min 100Ch 100RK 100Cpt 101Hunt 101Wdn 100Burg 58LM ::Leader of Phoenix Rising, Arkenstone::
    35Grd 35Min 35Ch 35RK 39Hunt 35Wdn ::Founder of The People Person's Paper People, Evernight::

I think it's just bad luck for you. My guard has managed to max out his rep in the woodworkers guild without finding a single crest, but my hunter trips over one ore node and crests pop out of her bum.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq358/drschplatt/sig-lotro95.jpg[/IMG]
    [URL="http://www.osf.guildlaunch.com"]The Order of The Silver Flame[/URL] - A fun, mature, helpful and friendly kin. Come join us on Silverlode!
    [/CENTER]

Yeah, it's just bad luck. I gave a friend a dozen crests recently, zeroing out my vault. Over the next 2 weeks I collected 25 more. I don't even go out of my way to get the nodes. It's just from doing Wildermore warbands, the 7 that I can solo. I run a loop between them once a day for warband tokens. I have two toons I do that with, a hunter and an RK. I'm averaging about 1.5 crests per day. Warband tokens, on the other hand, drop at about 0.2 per day for me.

Well if it's bad luck, my trend continues. It is still about one crest in 8 stacks of ore in Wildermore for a tarnished crest, yet as little as on tarnished crest in a half stack in Rohan. So I guess I'll just send my hunter into Rohan once a week and get 3-4 tarnished crests in an hour and just stop farming nodes in Wildermore period.
    As soon as they idiot proof something, the others send in some slack-jawed, drooling stooge to gum up the works.

My experience is about one crest per 1000 ore or wood, and zero ever from farming (*just* short of finishing the Eastemnet Master tier). My minstrel mined every ore node he saw questing through Rohan and Wildermore, and spent 3-4 hours just circling the Wold doing nothing but ore harvesting - lifetime total of two crests. Champ, ditto minus the Wold mining tours at 85, lifetime total of four crests (was three until this week's visit to Iserngraf for the crafted relic compendium). Burglar - yeoman, lifetime total of zero crests. Warden, has quested through East Wall, Wold, Norcrofts, and Entwash Vale so far, lifetime total of two crests, the first of which took about 90 minutes of dedicated Wold-circling to harvest.

I have not noticed any difference between Rohan and Wildermore in terms of crest drop rates. I may have gotten one of my crests in Wildermore, not sure. The drop rate is absurdly low - too low by almost a factor of ten - so it's really hard to tell if there are regional differences.

In practice the way to get crests is to harvest ore/logs, then sell the excess stacks thereof on the AH and spend the proceeds buying crests. Exchange rate varies by server but on mine the range is 1.5 stacks/crest to 3 stacks/crest, which is many times better than the drop rate from harvesting for crests.

ofc, if you just run OE or sammy, you'd get a tarnished crest every 20 minutes on average from barter at skirmish camp while keeping the seals & currency from mobs.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

Quote Originally Posted by Leixy View Post
    ofc, if you just run OE or sammy, you'd get a tarnished crest every 20 minutes on average from barter at skirmish camp while keeping the seals & currency from mobs.
    If somehow you don't need marks for riddermark scrolls of empowerment. A really weird server economy where scrolls are cheap on the AH but crests aren't? Sorry, I can't think of a plausible scenario where one would want more crests, but not have better things to do with one's marks. My impression is that spending marks for crests is the primary way people who play at times when groups exist reliably monetize their excess marks.

Also bear in mind that Brandywine is very much *not* a representative server. Your assumption that even Sambrog runs are frequently available is false on the servers I'm on. A more accurate phrasing would be "you'd get a tarnished crest every week from barter at the skirmish camp".

I don't farm all the time but when i feel like farming i get at least 2 per hour out of nodes & at least 1 Warband a day is a good guy & give me another crest.
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

I feel your pain. I've had the same thing happen to me in many instances. As someone who has played the game since the first year and has studied statistics, I can tell you with statistical certainty that the LOTRO random number generator (when it comes to crafting, anyway) is not random, but pseudorandom. Lucky and unlucky streaks will occur in any random number generation, but those streaks will occur with a certain frequency determined by statistics. The streaks, both "lucky" and "unlucky," that occur in LOTRO crafting do not obey the laws of statistics as they pertain to true random number generation. Streaks of failure or success whose probability of occurrence is 20,000 to 1 or more against occur routinely when crafting in LOTRO. And as far as I can tell, the algorithm has not changed since the beginning.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000064094/01001/signature.png]Mugwump[/charsig][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=lime]Note to players who want to be considered literate: [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]You're [/I]= You are. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]Your [/I]= Belonging to you. [I]It's[/I] = It is. [I]Its[/I] = belonging to it. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]They're[/I] = They are. [I]Their[/I] = Belonging to them. [I]There[/I] = At that place.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][I]Items[/I] = More than one item. [I]Item's[/I] = Belonging to the item. (True for almost all nouns.)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]