We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Mac Client advice

Hey guys. I haven't played Lotro in a long while and decided to try out the Mac client. I've already had 2 crashes getting to level 8 - I am wondering is this beta client worth leveling up a character on or am I in for a lot of frustration?

I can deal with a crash a week or so but if this is a daily occurrence I will probably just move on.

Thanks

I've been playing on the Mac client for a bit now .. Not long after it came out and it's been pretty good! Mainly playing lvl 85 LM ...Only crashes now and then ... A couple of times a week and usually in some type of transition... Loading a room... "Retreating" or when I do something like plug headphones in during game.
    [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/5/kv03.jpg/][IMG]http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5083/kv03.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Thanks for the reply. I will give it more time. I don't want to install it on bootcamp so hopefully it will work.

Cheers

Any chance you started a hobbit or Race of Man character? Archet and Bree were revamped and, for many Mac players, require a lower graphics quality. For instance, I run Ultra High graphics for most of my gameplay, but drop down to Medium in Bree-town. When I started a new captain last week, I ran in Medium while still in Archet. Otherwise, yes, I do still get an occasional crash on a transition screen, but not so often to make installing on Bootcamp worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentVigil View Post
    Hey guys. I haven't played Lotro in a long while and decided to try out the Mac client. I've already had 2 crashes getting to level 8 - I am wondering is this beta client worth leveling up a character on or am I in for a lot of frustration?

I can deal with a crash a week or so but if this is a daily occurrence I will probably just move on.

Thanks
    Mac Player

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000002c5e44/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Aerindis View Post
    Any chance you started a hobbit or Race of Man character? Archet and Bree were revamped and, for many Mac players, require a lower graphics quality. For instance, I run Ultra High graphics for most of my gameplay, but drop down to Medium in Bree-town. When I started a new captain last week, I ran in Medium while still in Archet. Otherwise, yes, I do still get an occasional crash on a transition screen, but not so often to make installing on Bootcamp worthwhile.
    This is good advice. Personally, I play using the default graphics settings for the Mac Client... and things work well most of the time including in Bree, Rohan and Wildermore... only the transition screens (including entering and leaving buildings) cause "routine" crashes.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I have found that all of my crashes so far have been from the man zone beginning area roughly archet through bree area. I've now run the elf and hobbit areas with no crashes so you may be correct about the man area causing crashes. I turned down my graphic setting to medium but still crashed in the man starting zone (6 total crashes). I have a fairly powerful graphics card ATi Radeon HD 5770 and I usually have no problems with other games.

Plugging in a mic will cause your client to crash, this has happened to me every-time I have tried it.
    Windfola:
    Bretela LVL 100 Warden Gwaithol LVL 100 Hunter Brilliance LVL 86+ LM
    Mac User, Raider

Quote Originally Posted by SilentVigil View Post
    I have found that all of my crashes so far have been from the man zone beginning area roughly archet through bree area. I've now run the elf and hobbit areas with no crashes so you may be correct about the man area causing crashes. I turned down my graphic setting to medium but still crashed in the man starting zone (6 total crashes). I have a fairly powerful graphics card ATi Radeon HD 5770 and I usually have no problems with other games.
    The crashing issue has nothing to do with your graphics card. ANY Mac has more than enough graphics power for LOTRO.

The problem is the fact that the LOTRO client is a 32-bit Client attempting to address more than 3.7GB or memory. "Normally" a 32-bit client can address 4.GB of memory -- but under OSX, that is only 3.7 GB -- that additional 300 meg makes a big difference!

I'm hoping to find out if Maverick "fixes" the OSX memory management situation. But I have no idea.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    The problem is the fact that the LOTRO client is a 32-bit Client attempting to address more than 3.7GB or memory. "Normally" a 32-bit client can address 4.GB of memory -- but under OSX, that is only 3.7 GB -- that additional 300 meg makes a big difference!
    The reason why Lotro can "only" access 3.7GB is because the operating system itself needs memory to do its job and the Lotro client program code also needs memory. The 4GB number is the size of the address space but the address space consists of code, shared and data regions and only the data regions are available for the game data. This is true with all operating systems including Windows.

The reason why the Mac OS X version of Lotro is so crash happy - especially when you crank up the graphics settings - is because it leaks memory like a sieve. This can be verified by taking Apple's Instruments developer tool and running Lotro with that tool. It shows how much memory the game allocates and which blocks of memory it returns to the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    I'm hoping to find out if Maverick "fixes" the OSX memory management situation. But I have no idea.
    Mavericks won't fix the actual problem - memory leaks in the Lotro client. However it should reduce paging related hitching in the game in some cases. I.e. the game should hitch less when you run it with a smaller amount of physical RAM and you don't have a hybrid drive in your Mac because the system will compress memory regions that aren't currently in use to free them up for the game when it needs them, rather than writing the data to disk.

The somewhat funny part about this whole Lotro & memory problems saga is that the Mac OS X Lotro launcher is a 64bit app while the game client is still a 32bit app.

The annoying part about it is though that the game loads so much faster in Mac OS X compared to Windows even if you are running it on a Mac without hybrid drive. But that doesn't help as long as the client keeps on leaking and Turbine keeps on ignoring this problem. When I push the graphics settings to Ultra then game crashes every 15 - 20 minutes in Rohan which makes the game unplayable in my book. I could reduce the graphics settings, yes. But then I might as well just play with the Windows version where I can play with high graphics settings and without constant crashes.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Arathem View Post
    The somewhat funny part about this whole Lotro & memory problems saga is that the Mac OS X Lotro launcher is a 64bit app while the game client is still a 32bit app.
    That's interesting -- I could have sworn that they both were 32-bit apps accordihg to Activity Monitor -- I haven't looked since 11.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Arathem View Post
    The annoying part about it is though that the game loads so much faster in Mac OS X compared to Windows even if you are running it on a Mac without hybrid drive. But that doesn't help as long as the client keeps on leaking and Turbine keeps on ignoring this problem. When I push the graphics settings to Ultra then game crashes every 15 - 20 minutes in Rohan which makes the game unplayable in my book. I could reduce the graphics settings, yes. But then I might as well just play with the Windows version where I can play with high graphics settings and without constant crashes.
    Running in Crossover(WINE) with the graphics settings maxed, vs the Mac Client running with the default settings, the MacClient is clearly superior. I realize that this is probably an artifact of WINE as I don't run boot camp. However, the PC Client in Wine doesn't crash anywhere near as frequently as the native Mac Client. I believe I have the PC Client configured to use Open GL, but since I just moved I don't have a working system right now to check... fortunately, I have an iPad...

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)