We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Hunter Trait Builds

I only started this thread to ask you guys what trait build you guys run with..... as most of the builds that I find on the net are mostly outdated

I am currently focusing on a trait build which builds upon the max dps I can muster with my traits, and maximising heartseeker damage by shot through the heart.... would love some ideas..

Here's mine:
    1) Swift And True
    2) True Shot
    3) Barbed Fury
    4) Shot through the heart
    5) Strong Draw

*) Legen: Press Onward

Am only lvl 55, and haven't unlocked the 6th slot yet.

First overview; at 55, you don't need to worry about using the right traits whatsoever.

Second, out of your selection, the only I detest is 'Shot Through the Heart' which is a fine trait for a lower level before your damage increases exponentially, but by the time you reach level 85, the bonus that trait gives will be pointless, so I would switch that out for a different red trait.

Then at 85, you have three choices that are quite viable:
    • A full red build - Heavy burst dps
    • A hybrid build of red and blue - Fast dps
    • A full blue build - Pure speed and sustained dps

And in both full builds, you would have the legendary associated with that line.

But until you get to 85, don't worry about your traits except filling the empty slots.
    [center]Superior Grand Master Spectator of Wall-Paint Drying[/center]

I haven't bothered much with HS at lower levels (since I didn't find the damage that impressive; usually it doesn't crit) so I can't say much about maximizing HS damage. I did try out the trait at 85 though, not very great.

So as mentioned above, unslot Shot Through the Heart. Fast Draw, Swift Mercy, Critical Eye, Deadly Precision are good replacements.

Submitting reply before I write another wall of text.
    [COLOR="#669966"][center][size=1]Mildford - R9 Hunter • Support - R7 LM
    The Storm Crusaders • Gladden[/size][/center][/COLOR]

I went 4r3b and even 5r2b from time to time as I leveled but I was mainly a blueline hunter.
    At 75, alot of people full blue because of the faron. Hybrid was also pretty popular. With hytbold gear I went hybrid H huntsman, then full blue again at erebor sets. Theres this debate on which setup does the best dps(sustained) and that depends from player to player. While full blue and hybrid both put out good sustained, full blue is going to be a much easier build for most people.
    Until you unlock caps, traits are mostly fillers. Wouldnt worry too much. By the time you hit 85, you would be leaning towards a certain build that goes with your styly of play. Go with that as it will be most familar to you.
    Fellowship Hadacar: I now have a mental image of a little pea with a NE Patriot's logo painted on it.
    From Dwarrowdelf to Arkenstone

My reason for the current traits is only 1.... All of those directly enhance the damage of the skills I use the most

What I was planning was that when I unlock my last 2 slots, I was gonna put tht trait which gives focus on crits (Deadly Precision? Forgot the name) and then Critical Eye to increase the crit chance....

The way you put it, i'm gonna hav to change the Shot through the heart with some other red trait, as Cool Burn sounds at the moment pretty good to me.... But it's all subject to change anyways

What I want to know is Which trait is actually good enough in its stead?

Also as a huntsman, what are the primary .....umhhh reasons for the way you go?? I've often heard that huntsman line helps greatly with sustained dps, power gen, etc. but how? I'd be very happy if some of you put your trait setups and skill rotations too ^^

EDIT: By the way my crit chance is 15% onlevel and i'm still working on the focus bow crit and induction bow crits legacies on my lvl 60 1st ager that I hav reserved
    Last edited by Calagllin; Jul 15 2013 at 02:42 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000335233/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Calagllin View Post
    My reason for the current traits is only 1.... All of those directly enhance the damage of the skills I use the most

What I was planning was that when I unlock my last 2 slots, I was gonna put tht trait which gives focus on crits (Deadly Precision? Forgot the name) and then Critical Eye to increase the crit chance....

The way you put it, i'm gonna hav to change the Shot through the heart with some other red trait, as Cool Burn sounds at the moment pretty good to me.... But it's all subject to change anyways

What I want to know is Which trait is actually good enough in its stead?

Also as a huntsman, what are the primary .....umhhh reasons for the way you go?? I've often heard that huntsman line helps greatly with sustained dps, power gen, etc. but how? I'd be very happy if some of you put your trait setups and skill rotations too ^^

EDIT: By the way my crit chance is 15% onlevel and i'm still working on the focus bow crit and induction bow crits legacies on my lvl 60 1st ager that I hav reserved
    Main reason for blue line is speed over higher damage per hit. .x seconds is not alot but multiply that per qs in a raid and it adds up. Also focus is easier to manage in blueline.

lets take my setup for example. 5b2r.

True shot: when mostof my dps comes from penetrating shot, adding a -8% mitigation PER hit adds up fast.its small amount but its hundreds of hits.
    Critical eye: extra crit. Helps boost chance and mags
    Deadly precision: +1focus per crit. And the higher ur crit, the better this becomes. With sets my Penshot/Blood arrow costs 2 focus, 1 if I crit and its spammable and hits 2-5ks,sometimes more.
    swift recovery: -30sec Needful haste/intent concentration. Self explanatory
    Strong draw: +10% PS/BA damage. Boosts 2 hard hitting skills
    arrow storm:crits resets rain of arrows. Makes my +10 target aoe spammable. Again, the higher your crit the better. I use this over resolute cuz its more practical.
    Deep concentration: intentgives you power, every little thinghelps.

This setup gives me...
    +10% bow crit multiplier
    +2sec before focus loss on movement
    +1 split shot max target
    -10% induction
    20% chance for quick shot to give +1 focus
    -2% induction per huntsman trait(5)
    -30% pen shot power cost.

When im spamming pen shot -30% per hit iadd up.

sometimes iswitch true shot for hail of arrows. Then sometimes switch arrow storm when I end up having to tank peak or soloing something hard.

For rotations, its a mix of ps/qs spams andbarb arrow(scourged if possible) and sb wenever off cd. Main thing is not to over focus. Dont sb if you have like 6+ focus. You might end up "wasting" it, fire a ps or two then do it. Same with qs/ba/barb/blindside. I know its such a small thing but every point counts. On the same not, try to always have some focus for delays

Your crit is fine on lvl imo. At higher levels, you want atleast 20% unbuffed. Just not 25% umbuffed. I dont see the point in that if you group/raid alot. Gaining a small magnitude/chance isnt really worth the raw damage % you have to sacrifice. 23-24% is just fine buffed. Stacking mags isnt as good as it seems.
    Sorry bout bad spelling and format, postingfrom mobile device
    Fellowship Hadacar: I now have a mental image of a little pea with a NE Patriot's logo painted on it.

At lower levels, I'd slot barbed bleed and skip using heartseeker entirely. It detracts from DPS even if it's fun to see a big number now and again. Bleed pen pen swift, anything will be dead - blindside vs signature elite (if they're up close by now) gets you two more pens.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriotp3a View Post
    Main reason for blue line is speed over higher damage per hit. .x seconds is not alot but multiply that per qs in a raid and it adds up. Also focus is easier to manage in blueline.
    As is aggro, due to smaller spike damage and your ability simply to slow down.
    I'm 5b/2r with 4 Greater Erebor Bowmaster for insta-heartseeker lols and 2 GE Huntsman for the "faron" reduced focus cost.
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by zalladi View Post
    First overview; at 55, you don't need to worry about using the right traits whatsoever.

Second, out of your selection, the only I detest is 'Shot Through the Heart' which is a fine trait for a lower level before your damage increases exponentially, but by the time you reach level 85, the bonus that trait gives will be pointless, so I would switch that out for a different red trait.

Then at 85, you have three choices that are quite viable:
    • A full red build - Heavy burst dps
    • A hybrid build of red and blue - Fast dps
    • A full blue build - Pure speed and sustained dps

And in both full builds, you would have the legendary associated with that line.

But until you get to 85, don't worry about your traits except filling the empty slots.
    I say red = sustained and blue = burst.

I can get higher parses on a training dummy with an Improved Fleetness build but lose power way to fast to keep it up in long fights. I trait red if I need to last.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirgellon View Post
    I say red = sustained and blue = burst.

I can get higher parses on a training dummy with an Improved Fleetness build but lose power way to fast to keep it up in long fights. I trait red if I need to last.
    Wut.

how do you laste longer in redline while being competitive againts hybrids/blues?

So, as you guys put it, sustained dps via a 5b/2r is more viable then quick single target burst dps??
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000335233/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Wut.

how do you laste longer in redline while being competitive againts hybrids/blues?
    Well not sure what you consider hybrids, but I would never go all one line. I would look at you funny if I saw you do this. It is always 5-2 one way or the other if going single target and 4-3 for an aoe build.

I have the same question for you. How are you keeping power in longer fights with an Improved Fleetness build? The minute of PS spam kills my power, even with a lot of ICPR. I have no idea how someone could consider this the build for sustained dps. I also don't know how you are getting more burst dps than that PS spam by using red line.
    Last edited by Cirgellon; Jul 15 2013 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirgellon View Post
    Well not sure what you consider hybrids, but I would never go all one line. I would look at you funny if I saw you do this. It is always 5-2 one way or the other if going single target and 4-3 for an aoe build.

I have the same question for you. How are you keeping power in longer fights with an Improved Fleetness build? The minute of PS spam kills my power, even with a lot of ICPR. I have no idea how someone could consider this the build for sustained dps. I also don't know how you are getting more burst dps than that PS spam by using red line.
    Can't answer the power question but going red for cool burn is where that burst increase comes from. And the ability to use it often for each encounter.
    Last edited by Eldarian_Grace; Jul 15 2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

At and after level 60 I run 5r2b plus Cool Burn in Precision Stance. Lead with Barbed Arrow, then Focus shots, then Swift Bow to replenish focus, and so on. Works for me, YMMV.

Before level 60 when Cool Burn becomes available, before I need 5 red for that capstone, I'll slot the yellow trait Barbed Hindrance. The slow both gives the Barbed Arrow bleed time to happen and lets me pepper the mob with a lot of shots before it even gets close to me.
    I'm just a simple unfrozen caveman solo player.
    Your sophisticated raiding ways confuse and frighten me.

lets take my setup for example. 5b2r.

True shot: when mostof my dps comes from penetrating shot, adding a -8% mitigation PER hit adds up fast.its small amount but its hundreds of hits.
    Critical eye: extra crit. Helps boost chance and mags
    Deadly precision: +1focus per crit. And the higher ur crit, the better this becomes. With sets my Penshot/Blood arrow costs 2 focus, 1 if I crit and its spammable and hits 2-5ks,sometimes more.
    swift recovery: -30sec Needful haste/intent concentration. Self explanatory
    Strong draw: +10% PS/BA damage. Boosts 2 hard hitting skills
    arrow storm:crits resets rain of arrows. Makes my +10 target aoe spammable. Again, the higher your crit the better. I use this over resolute cuz its more practical.
    Deep concentration: intentgives you power, every little thinghelps.

This setup gives me...
    +10% bow crit multiplier
    +2sec before focus loss on movement
    +1 split shot max target
    -10% induction
    20% chance for quick shot to give +1 focus
    -2% induction per huntsman trait(5)
    -30% pen shot power cost.

When im spamming pen shot -30% per hit iadd up.

sometimes iswitch true shot for hail of arrows. Then sometimes switch arrow storm when I end up having to tank peak or soloing something hard.

For rotations, its a mix of ps/qs spams andbarb arrow(scourged if possible) and sb wenever off cd. Main thing is not to over focus. Dont sb if you have like 6+ focus. You might end up "wasting" it, fire a ps or two then do it. Same with qs/ba/barb/blindside. I know its such a small thing but every point counts. On the same not, try to always have some focus for delays

Your crit is fine on lvl imo. At higher levels, you want atleast 20% unbuffed. Just not 25% umbuffed. I dont see the point in that if you group/raid alot. Gaining a small magnitude/chance isnt really worth the raw damage % you have to sacrifice. 23-24% is just fine buffed. Stacking mags isnt as good as it seems.
    Sorry bout bad spelling and format, postingfrom mobile device
    You might want to reconsider using True Shot, and use Fast Draw or Swift and True instead if BA and ISB are in your main rotation, as according to http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...rue-Shot-trait.. It is either bugged, or does negligible DPS boost. (you can test it on a snowbourne dummy to verify, the devast and crits traited and untraited should have very similar numbers)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000001da17c/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by jaecynt View Post
    You might want to reconsider using True Shot, and use Fast Draw or Swift and True instead if BA and ISB are in your main rotation, as according to http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...rue-Shot-trait.. It is either bugged, or does negligible DPS boost. (you can test it on a snowbourne dummy to verify, the devast and crits traited and untraited should have very similar numbers)
    That thread is positively ancient (October 2010, ie a full year before RoI's big changes). It may have been correct at the time, and it may still be true now, but any numbers garnered from that thread cannot be taken as serious proof of the current effectiveness (or non-effectiveness) of the True Shot trait.

If you have current data to back up your assertion that the trait is ineffective, feel free to add it to that thread or start a new one. (And if your data implies a bug, please report it as well.)
    Join the LotRO Volunteer QA Team!
    Use the [url="http://lotrobugs.turbine.com"][color=red]bug reporting tool[/color][/url] or type /bug in-game!*
    [SIZE=1]*no rants please[/size]

i consider 4/3 or 3/4 build hybrid.
    though power issues could just be me, im not sure. I rarely trait coolburn. As for burst dps, having coolburn+legacy+erebor swap will give you much much higher damage output within those 20sec as opposed to blue line, and the ability to use it often. Though i don't really focus on burst builds because i dont find it that much more practical as opposed to sustained since i do alot of grouping and raids. Guess it also depends whats you consider burst. Anything 60 seconds or less I consider burst. You said so yourself, that you get higher parses against dummies using blue ps spams. Since ps spamming doesnt kill my power, wouldnt it make sense for ps spam to put out higher sustained? Redline may get higher hits in general but blueline's ability to spam ps endlessly will eventually catch up. I find redline inductions too long and too restrictive of my mobility.

as for True shot trait, hitting mobs lower than you will make the trait useless.
    also, the higher your target's mitigations, the better the trait becomes.

I did a quick test between raids earlier and this is what i got:
    (no focus pot/burnhot/imp focus/hunters art) traited 5b2r
    all max numbers

75 dummy:
    traited:crit=3706, dev=4755

untraited:crit=3706, dev=4755
    no % diff

85 dummy:
    traited:crit=2281, dev=3160

untraited:crit=2059, dev=2851
    10.2% diff

Question

All right, so ps spamming is the way to go... got it.

But, even with the GE erebor set, ps focus cost is 2, which means you cant spam more thn 4 at a row, provided you start at full focus... so what/how do you achieve it?

But, even with the GE erebor set, ps focus cost is 2, which means you cant spam more thn 4 at a row, provided you start at full focus... so what/how do you achieve it?
    The idea is to trait 5 blue and slot legendary improved fleetness. This gives gives 1 focus per 5 seconds in addition to the same.from precision.stance. if you also trait for a focus pip on critical hits (% can go as high as 25%) this gives you rather a lot to play with think that trait is called deadly precision.
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

From the above post combined with Precision stance, Intent Concentration and Focus pots, you can easily deal out a good spam of ~20 penetrating shots with blood arrows, but I do recommend you throw in some swift bows and/or other induction skills in the middle to lengthen the focus gain.
    [center]Superior Grand Master Spectator of Wall-Paint Drying[/center]

Well lets see...
    Fleetnes up so PS/BA costs 2 focus
    each time you crit/ dev PS/BA, it costs 1 focus. -2 focus , +1 per crit/dev
    QS gives base +1 focus with a 30% chance to give another +1. Say you have 20% base crit, which is low these days and you use QS crit legacy then that gives you 25% chance that QS will crit giving another +1. So max of +3 focus

imp fleet: 1 focus every 5 sec
    precision: 1 focus every 5 sec

So just spamming qs ps qs ps qs ps with high crit rates will easily maintain your focus pool. I also use blindside alot for that easy +3 focus and im still left with ISB, focus pot and intent.

Never thought of this before....
    Blindside gives base +3 focus and its a melee+range attack. If it crits/devs, does it benefit from Deadly Precision and thus giving +4?
    Also, Imp QS has 30% chance to give additional +1 focus- does it stack with huntsman 4 trait bonus of 20% totalling 50% to give +1

Wink

If it does, it is 1 good way to gain focus, I mean, just think....

With full qs crit legacy and 50% gain chance, qs gives 2 focus almost every shot, 3 if both trigger at the same time, making isb with its long induction pretty obsolete as far as focus gaining is concerned. Thanks a lot people!

Yea, qs is pretty efficient but you should still use SB since it does alot more damage and can give you +5. Being perma fleetness, your sb is going to have fast inductions. Its like 1s/1.2s? cant remember. Though I dont barb arrow religiously likke others to maintain perma bleed. The bleeds are nice when they crit+legacy but I find the qs extra focus to be more valuable for it can give me +3 which is 3 ps/BA critted +boosted by true shot
    Last edited by Patriotp3a; Jul 18 2013 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Cant spell

here is my trait/equipmentbuild

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-19883546/j--ger.png.html

I can spam qs and penshot and getting instanths´s a lot . also got critcap by myselfe with critproc so no cappy is needed.

More PewPew...less QQ

I'm 5 Blue, 2 Red, since I'm primarily a Moors hunter, particularly for 1v1s.

2 Red: Swift and True, Critical Eye

5 Blue: Deadly Precision, Rapid Recovery, Strong Draw, Swift Recovery, Resolute Aim.

Legendaries: Bard's Arrow, Improved Fleetness, and Press Onward (pve), Bow of Righteousness (pvp).

Virtues are: Tolerance, Determination, Honor, Valor, Zeal.
    Last edited by joshy8910; Jul 28 2013 at 06:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast