We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    158

    Just thought this was interesting

    Viva Lotro!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Barad-dûr
    Posts
    539
    It would be even more interesting if prefaced with some description of what exactly we are looking at and how we might utilize this tool to create our own charts.
    Last edited by Breeon; Jul 11 2013 at 02:11 PM.

  3. #3
    It represents how little people are logging onto Crickhollow from pre-RoI through present. the numbers are just plummeting.
    Freia - Level 85 Elf Minstrel, Crickhollow
    Loge - Level 85 Elf Loremaster, Crickhollow
    Brunhilde - Level 85 Hobbit Burglar, Crickhollow
    Nimrodiel - Weaver, Crickhollow

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,277
    The numbers are higher than any other server except Brandywine and a couple others. Even a few of the ones that people always think of as being higher than Crick. What is interesting is how high the numbers shot up for Withywindle and Meneldor when they were made the preferred server. (Crick has a good bunch of folks, if that time ever comes for us again, it's going to get very crowded.)
    Last edited by EmyrSelyf; Jul 14 2013 at 08:33 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Freia View Post
    It represents how little people are logging onto Crickhollow from pre-RoI through present. the numbers are just plummeting.
    From the graphic, its still a bit higher from the RoI launch (Lotro Update 4)... considering its summer, it's doesn't look that way to me.

    I didn't realize that RoR launch had so many logins as the Steam launch, i was impressed since it didn't look that way to me.

    It also seems that my favorite part of RoI (Update 5 with Isengard and TOO) didn't bring any extra logins...
    Razor // Lusitanius // Crickhollow ~ Portuguese Kinship //

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4

    ok ?

    So the graph says it logins per minute.... I don't think higher number would mean more activity on a server. How do we know that higher numbers aren't because of people having to log back in because they are getting booted ? Do the numbers represent a unique number of people or does it include people logging in and out ?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Galahadur View Post
    considering its summer
    It's a common misconception, at least regarding LOTRO - many automatically assume people "do stuff" during summer, and yet both 2011 and 2012 (global graph) showed an increase (compared with pre-xpac autumns or spring 2012) with or without Steam. Along with lower amplitudes, illustrating lesser difference between weekends and "normal" days, we can guess that:
    a. many players don't "do stuff" during summer, perhaps lifestyles are changing faster than stereotypes
    b. LOTRO is played by many teenagers, who can log-in 24/7 when school is not an issue - so they do play more often rather than "doing stuff"

    Quote Originally Posted by Galahadur View Post
    I didn't realize that RoR launch had so many logins as the Steam launch, i was impressed since it didn't look that way to me.
    Not RoR launch, you are looking at spike that happened over a month after - Hobbit premiere So your impressions were closer to the truth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Purrsona View Post
    So the graph says it logins per minute.... I don't think higher number would mean more activity on a server. How do we know that higher numbers aren't because of people having to log back in because they are getting booted ?
    Unless there was some huge "booting epidemy" recently (so: not for individuals), we can simply assume "crash factor" (and personal habits on average) didn't change that dramatically over few years. As for activity - sure, it seems inflated with a shift to "short, daily sessions" illustrated by Hobbit Presents, daily version of VIP XP, Hytbored/Grindermore etc. So you could assume that (non-existing) "activity" graph is falling down faster than login numbers, but meh, for a single server you might as well observe /who and don't bother with numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Purrsona View Post
    Do the numbers represent a unique number of people or does it include people logging in and out ?
    Every time you log-in using launcher (so: jumping to alts @ character screen doesn't count), you advance "now serving" number hidden in some .log files (didn't bother to re-check where after launcher revamp), specific for your server. So no, it doesn't represent "unique" people, which means you can spend entire day trolling that graph with log-in-log-out. But graph is going to /ignore that anyway, since random actions of individuals are not that important when big numbers and trends are involved.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferthcott View Post
    It's a common misconception, at least regarding LOTRO - many automatically assume people "do stuff" during summer, and yet both 2011 and 2012 (global graph) showed an increase (compared with pre-xpac autumns or spring 2012) with or without Steam. Along with lower amplitudes, illustrating lesser difference between weekends and "normal" days, we can guess that:
    a. many players don't "do stuff" during summer, perhaps lifestyles are changing faster than stereotypes
    b. LOTRO is played by many teenagers, who can log-in 24/7 when school is not an issue - so they do play more often rather than "doing stuff"
    Not really a misconception. My whole kinship takes the summer off, including myself. After September it burst back into action.

    YMMV of course.
    Razor // Lusitanius // Crickhollow ~ Portuguese Kinship //

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Galahadur View Post
    Not really a misconception. My whole kinship takes the summer off, including myself. After September it burst back into action.

    YMMV of course.
    A misconception in a sense of interpreting behavior of a group of like-minded people as something that is happening often enough to affect LOTRO by default, sort of "common sense explanation" that is automatically offered - despite LOTRO itself hinting at the opposite direction.

    It's not even ymmw, as it reduces perspective to personal level - more like mileage varies for quite a lot of people, if overall login numbers are still going up, even with your kinship, certainly along with many others on other servers, pushing them down for summer.





    (I wouldn't try to argue for either side using Crick graph, though - it seems only dramatically big spikes can affect it anyway, the rest is intelligible.)
    Last edited by Ferthcott; Jul 15 2013 at 05:02 PM.

  10. #10
    At least 20 of those logins are from me trying to log into my characters and crashing because the new launcher is awful.
    Another 20 from Stekthor...
    Add a few from all the crashes Saegan was having
    We'd be here all day counting Lwinds crashes...

    etc etc

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    913
    I imagine I wasn't the only one getting memory load crashes so add some from there.
    Quit.

    Find me on Steam and ESO, same name.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,277
    Someone recently said something about clicking on the store icon as they were loading in helped them, I'll see if I can find a link.
    Ok maybe this one...
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...ly-odd-problem

    Of course, crashes have different causes....and there are different types of crashes (CTD client crashes, black screen connection lost, blue screen, etc)

    Oh and you want to make sure port 80 (and possibly port 443) is getting through your firewall.
    Last edited by EmyrSelyf; Jul 22 2013 at 04:26 PM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload