I've decided to make this new post so more people can see it and maybe benefit from the tweak. I've seen lots of people going into the big non plugin crash thread and overlook my original post there so wanted to make this new one.
First of all, this patch should really only be used on systems with 3 or 4 gigabytes of memory and only on Windows versions that are 32-bit. The reason why 32-bit only is because 64-bit versions of Windows do not have the problem processes being limited to a maximum size of 2 gigabytes by default.
For Vista 32-bit and Windows 7 32-bit:
***WARNING***: For the below, you MUST have Windows Vista or Windows 7 32-bit (any flavor) and at LEAST 3 gigabytes of RAM. If you have less than 3 gigs of RAM please attempt this tweak with a slight risk of video driver issues. Side effects of this tweak with 3 Gigs or less could be problems with your video display on your desktop (reduced colors, resolution). If that happens just set things back to default with the line I provide.
How to do it:
1) In Windows Vista/Windows 7 32-bit go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right Click on Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator"
2) In the command prompt window you want to type the following:then hit enter. You should see: "The operation completed successfully."Code:bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2560
3) Reboot and play LOTRO.
4) If you still experience crashes to desktop, try setting the increaseuserva number to 2688.
5) If Turbine fixes this problem and you want to go back to the default process size, do the following:Code:bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2048
For Windows XP 32-bit:
***WARNING***: For the below, you MUST have Windows XP Home 32-bit or Windows XP Professional 32-bit and at LEAST 3 gigabytes of RAM. If you have less than 3 gigs of RAM please be aware that if you do this tweak there can be problems with certain video drivers. Side effects of this tweak could be problems with your video display on your desktop (reduced colors, resolution). If that happens just set things back to default with the line I provide.
1) Right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop, select Properties.
2) Click on the Advanced Tab.
You should see something like this:
3) Click on the Settings Button in the Startup and Recovery section (where the mouse pointer is in the picture above)
4) In the Startup and Recovery window click on the Edit button. This should open up your boot.ini in Notepad.
5) You should now see a bunch of text similar to this:
You should have something similar to that last line. Don't worry if there's a few things different, You will just want to edit that LAST line and add the following to the END of it: /3GB /userva=2560. So from the example above, the edited line would look like this:Code:[boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
Once that's done, save the file and reboot the system.Code:multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /3GB /userva=2560
6) If you still get the crashes to desktop, you can up that /userva=2560 number to /userva=2688
7) If Turbine fixes the problem or you get any strange problems like having your system boot up with a 16 bit color desktop and low resolution, then just remove the /3GB /userva=2176 that you added and save the file and reboot.
If you want to geek out, you may read the following article that helps to explain some of what you are editing and why: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx