We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Re: Visual Guide To Minstrels in Rise of Isengard

LotRO is a game, but none-the-less a business, the dev's are paid employees of that business who get paid to develop the game within their specific area's, the minstrel as is, is practically perfect other than a much needed healing output boost to bring us back in line with the main healing class of the LotRO world.

In real life I am a computer technician, if a perfect world scenario occured and I fixed every computer in my charge so as it was perfect, never needing any attention at all, my services would be seen as surplus to requirement and I would quickly find myself looking for a new career. So we sell new computers, that need installing, updating, tweaking and perfecting, therefore generating work for ourselves.

So now we are entering Minstrel MKII, to all intent and purpose you might as well delete the class and create a new class, the changes are so radical that the Minstrel will no longer feel the same to play. and THAT is the intended purpose, new goals, new idea's, new bugs to be fixed, creases to iron, complaints to be dealt with, you sell a new idea to keep yourself viably and constantly employable. Flogging a dead horse gets you nowhere, bring in a new horse and flog to your hearts content.

See it as change for the better or worse as you will, the changes are coming, and they had to, Minstrel MKI was nearing the end of its development cycle and had little place to go. Orion does an amazing job with the Minstrel in this game, whilst I am not happy about the radical changes, I for one am pleased that it is HE who is heading up this new class, who better to perfect it.

Orion you do an amazing job, keep up the good work and congratulations to the both of you on the new addition to your family, make the most of your paternity leave take the time to enjoy the moments that can never be lived again.

Sincere Regards

Garalli

Quote Originally Posted by hillard1959 View Post
    I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. If everything we've read holds water, Warrior-Skald minstrels will be more powerful than ever before. And we'll be able to heal ourselves in War-Speech again, just like we used to.

Let's give the changes a try before we decide anything.
    Fair enough, I suppose, but I still want my Medium Armour. I'm a WARRIOR Skald, not a librarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamo View Post
    And what about us Warrior Skalds? I've spent a small fortune getting medium armour, and perfecting my combat style so I can enjoy the character.
    On Beta, you have a trait that you can slot that takes all your armor and boosts it by 20% -- I believe that effectively gives you more mitigation then medium armor did. On top of that you can heal yourself with NO penalty for being in Warspeech and you have a Morale bubble you can pop once a minute on top of all that. The survivability of the Warrior Skald has vastly improved over what we currently have.

Given that you will be gaining 10 more levels, you are going to be replacing all your armor anyway -- so the fact that you spent a bunch of money on your current armor is rather moot.

Have you actually played on Beta and tried combat as a Warrior Skald, or are you just convincing yourself you won't like it without the benefit of having actually tried it? And if you have tried it, what about it don't you like?

Quote Originally Posted by nelar View Post
    On Beta, you have a trait that you can slot that takes all your armor and boosts it by 20% -- I believe that effectively gives you more mitigation then medium armor did. On top of that you can heal yourself with NO penalty for being in Warspeech and you have a Morale bubble you can pop once a minute on top of all that. The survivability of the Warrior Skald has vastly improved over what we currently have.

Given that you will be gaining 10 more levels, you are going to be replacing all your armor anyway -- so the fact that you spent a bunch of money on your current armor is rather moot.

Have you actually played on Beta and tried combat as a Warrior Skald, or are you just convincing yourself you won't like it without the benefit of having actually tried it? And if you have tried it, what about it don't you like?
    You make fair points, and I haven't tried it since I'm not in beta testing. I'm just very, very tired of constantly having my character pulled out from under me. While actual mitigation may be better, there's something intangible about using Medium Armour that makes me feel more like a warrior. Perhaps that I can equip medium armour in cosmetic slots will ameliorate the feeling of loss.

We'll have to see.

I really do appreciate all the effort in creating this guide. It has helped, although I will admit that actual game play is still confusing to me. I am struggling to figure out the new mechanics of how the system works. In some ways I feel not very useful. I have discovered that the changes made to the minstrel class pair very well with the new changes to the Captain class. Looks like we will have to find ourselves a pocket cappy to make us even more efficient healers. Luckily I already have one.

Thumbs up Re: Visual Guide To Minstrels in Rise of Isengard

Thank you for the great guide for those of us not in BETA. +1 rep

A few questions for those who've played with the changes.

With the new power cost of heals does the blue Capstone seem more appealing now?

Is there anyway to reduce the power cost of tales? And if not do the improved tales from yellow Capstone feel worthwhile to maintain?

Also, do codas clear the effect of anthems? I'm not quite clear on their exact functionality.
    Last edited by Dedfyre; Sep 15 2011 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedfyre View Post
    A few questions for those who've played with the changes.

With the new power cost of heals does the blue Capstone seem more appealing now?

Is there anyway to reduce the power cost of tales? And if not do the improved tales from yellow Capstone feel worthwhile to maintain?

Also, do codas clear the effect of anthems? I'm not quite clear on their exact functionality.
    Since it's introduction, I have tried again and again to like the Soliloquy of Spirit/Legendary Spirit capstone, but I truly feel that it just doesn't do ENOUGH to warrant slotting it. If it increased the SoS HoT AND did something like +10% healing crit multiplier or +5% outgoing healing, or SOMETHING, then it would be worth slotting. As it is, even with the increase in power costs and decreases in base healing, I still don't think I'd ever slot this. On the other hand, the higher level LI weapons are giving us more +pulses to SoS making it easier than ever to maintain this HoT on two people, so YMMV. It is still out most power-efficient heal... I'm just not sure it's worth slotting 5-blue + capstone to get it, especially when slotting the capstone forces you to give up Symphony of the Hopeful Heart, which I feel is situationally more useful.

There is no way to reduce the power costs of tales. Tale of Heroism will ALWAYS cost 3 power per second and the other tales will ALWAYS cost 4 power per second. On the otherhand, the yellow capstone does not now increase the power costs of the tales to 6... Tale of Frost and Flame's Battle, for example, still only costs 4 power per second. I think it will be worth it to maintain the capstone tales, yes, especially since you don't get the Improved versions of the tales by only slotting 4-deep anymore. If you want Improved Tale of Warding for the extra mitigation, you'll need to slot the capstone and you might as well just run Tale of Warding and Heroism. I think I can deal with the loss of 180 to 240 ICPR and keep running my Tales, but this might be a problem in endurance fights without opportunities for power restores.

And yes, using a Coda clears ALL of the buffing effects of both the Ballads and the Anthems. If, for example, you have the Anthem of Composure buff up for the extra Resistance and Mitigation bonus it provides your Fellowship, as soon as you use the Coda that buff is cancelled, no matter if it still had time left on it's duration. Your outgoing healing, damage, and -power cost Ballad buffs are also cancelled. However, when you use the Coda under the effects of Anthem of Composure, you get a post-Coda buff, in this case, a power restore called Vigour of the Minstrel. Different Anthems give the Minstrel different post-Coda buffs.

Hope that helps!
    Narlinde, level 100 Minstrel, Rank 11, Member of Trucido ~ Windfola

Yoo Hoo...... Turbine....... This topic REALLY needs to be stickied!!
    Aldekim (95 Landroval) Aldekim (65 Meneldor), Aldekim (13 Arkenstone),Aldekim (33 Laurelin), Aldekim (11 Nimrodel), Aldekim (Crickhollow), Aldekim (Elendilmir)

These are the HoT and PoT buffs you can maintain in battle. It's pretty nice actually as it gives you more time to DPS instead of spam healing in a tough fight.

[COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]Sarik - Warleader [/COLOR][COLOR=#339966][COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]Jacin - Champion [COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [COLOR=Green]Aiden - Minstrel[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by jayspeed View Post
    These are the HoT and PoT buffs you can maintain in battle. It's pretty nice actually as it gives you more time to DPS instead of spam healing in a tough fight.
    Does anyone else ever get disturbed by looking at other people's quickslots? LOL, I don't know how you can play like that, jayspeed!

Here is what my quickslots looked like in beta (this was before the Ballad icon change and before the Melody of Battle bug was fixed, tho).

I like to group my skills together based on what they do. I don't like a busy screen and I prefer my skills to be off to the side.
    [COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]Sarik - Warleader [/COLOR][COLOR=#339966][COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]Jacin - Champion [COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [COLOR=Green]Aiden - Minstrel[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

Big ups for taking the time to create this guide. My Minstrel has sat dormant since healing the BG raid. I'm excited about dusting Tangerina off and healing raids again in RoI. Thanks

So which virtues, would you say, are most useful for a healing and for a soloing minstrel in RoI?

Quote Originally Posted by Capsuleer View Post
    So which virtues, would you say, are most useful for a healing and for a soloing minstrel in RoI?
    Each person will have their own preferences depending on build, but I'll give you my personal opinion.

Zeal: 338 Morale, 388.8 Physical Mitigation, 180 Armour -- This is basically the best all-around Virtue in RoI and one everyone will be slotting all the time; you'll want this for solo and for groups.
    Valour: 338 Morale, 486.5 Non-Combat Power Regen, 8 Might -- Really only good for the +morale, but still a bit useful, especially in PvMP.
    Wisdom: 36 Will, 48.6 In-Combat Power Regen, 621 Resistance Rating -- A nice trait, and although it gives really minimal bonuses, all of those bonuses are ones we need, especially the ICPR. I'd be more inclined to trait this one for DPS.
    Patience: 64.8 In-Combat Power Regen, 1034 Resistance Rating, 216 Physical Mitigation -- ICPR is good, and even though it really is a trivial bit of ICPR the secondary stats on this one are nice, too, especially if you're raiding.
    Loyalty: 36 Vitality, 73 Power, 180 Armour -- Not a great Virtue, but if you need more morale it is a decent one to trait.
    Justice: 90 In-Combat Morale Regen, 170 Morale, 324.4 Non-Combat Morale Regen -- Again, this one would be good for a morale build, particularly in PvMP and even in the new dragon raid, where you have some moments to drop out of combat and regen and also need a lot of morale to survive being hit.
    Innocence: 648 Physical Mitigation, 1034 Resistance Rating, 162 Tactical Mitigation -- Another nicely rounded virtue and one that I'll probably still be slotting most of the time, in both healing and DPS builds, although YMMV.
    Fidelity: 486 Tactical Mitigation, 18 Vitality, 37 Power -- This one is mostly for raiding, I think, although you can make a case for it in PvMP, too.
    Confidence: 2070 Resistance Rating, 18 Will, 32.4 In-Combat Power Regen -- This one will probably be in my healing build, as resisting fears and ticks on DoTs is nice, Will is good for healing, and ICPR is always a plus.

You could also go for a mitigation/resistance build and boost up those stats, but personally, unless I can find some nice gear with a bunch of morale on it, I'll probably go for the +morale virtues and maybe the ICPR virtues for both healing and soloing. I like to ignore healing myself as much as possible so I can focus on others, thus I tend to build for survivability, but some Minstrels may prefer to go a straight-up maximum healing route and may thus go for different Virtues like Idealism or Empathy or whatever. To each their own!

Quote Originally Posted by Capsuleer View Post
    For me I'm keeping Valour, Idealism, Confidence, Loyalty but changing Fidelity/Wisdom for Zeal.

Valour:
    +338 Maximum Morale
    +486.5 Non-Combat Morale Regen
    +9 Might

Idealism:
    +36 Fate
    +1034 Resistance Rating
    +9 Will

Confidence:
    +2070 Resistance Rating
    +18 Will
    +32.4 In-Combat Power Regen

Loyalty:
    +36 Vitality
    +73 Maximum Power
    +180 Armour Value

Zeal:
    +338 Maximum Morale
    +388.8 Physical Mitigation
    +180 Armour Value

Fidelity:
    +486 Tactical Mitigation
    +18 Vitality
    +37 Maximum Power

Wisdom:
    +36 Will
    +48.6 In-Combat Power Regen
    +621 Resistance Rating

These are my five. I like having Will and Fate both over 1,000. Love hitting those big crit heals and codas.

Valour:
    +338 Maximum Morale
    +9 Might

Idealism:
    +36 Fate
    +1034 Resistance Rating
    +9 Will

Loyalty:
    +36 Vitality
    +73 Maximum Power
    +180 Armour Value

Zeal:
    +338 Maximum Morale
    +180 Armour Value

Wisdom:
    +36 Will
    +621 Resistance Rating
    [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Killua-Kun View Post
    For me I'm keeping Valour, Idealism, Confidence, Loyalty but changing Fidelity/Wisdom for Zeal.

Valour:
    +338 Maximum Morale
    +9 Might

Idealism:
    +36 Fate
    +1034 Resistance Rating
    +9 Will

Confidence:
    +2070 Resistance Rating
    +18 Will
    +32.4 In-Combat Power Regen

Loyalty:
    +36 Vitality
    +73 Maximum Power
    +180 Armour Value

Zeal:
    +338 Maximum Morale
    +180 Armour Value

Fidelity:
    +486 Tactical Mitigation
    +18 Vitality
    +37 Maximum Power

Wisdom:
    +36 Will
    +621 Resistance Rating
    Has the maximum level for virtues changed in ROI or are they as they were before?

Goodness this is an EXCELLENT look-forward manual. Thanks for your work. Gosh ima have to bookmark this thing. So much to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Atrixzia View Post
    Has the maximum level for virtues changed in ROI or are they as they were before?
    New virtues cap is 12 instead of 10.

Very nice work here! Thanks a lot for the writeup

Thank you for the posts, I'm finding them immensely helpful. I'd say this needs to either be stickied or added to the Minstrel Resources sticky!

You did an amazing work here, thanks for all your efforts.

If I ever play my minstrel again I will come back and study this guide even more. At the moment though, relearning a minstrel may require to roll a new one and get to learn all the skills one by one. Something which I don't intend to do until I level all my other 8 characters first.

I think that the Minstrel Class should be now an advanced class in the create screen description. My RK sure heals easier (don't know about more efficiently) than the new minstrel. You push a button and what you want happens after. From the little I have gathered so far, the new minstrel is like the warden: you prepare in advance and have to remember a lot of things to function properly. Pity if you ask me

Quote Originally Posted by Belechael View Post
    You did an amazing work here, thanks for all your efforts.

If I ever play my minstrel again I will come back and study this guide even more. At the moment though, relearning a minstrel may require to roll a new one and get to learn all the skills one by one. Something which I don't intend to do until I level all my other 8 characters first.

I think that the Minstrel Class should be now an advanced class in the create screen description. My RK sure heals easier (don't know about more efficiently) than the new minstrel. You push a button and what you want happens after. From the little I have gathered so far, the new minstrel is like the warden: you prepare in advance and have to remember a lot of things to function properly. Pity if you ask me

Ive only played a warden into the 20's admittedly, but my only 50+ character is my 66 (almost 67) Minstrel.
    In my experience the warden seems far more complex and advance preparation dependent.

Getting the hang of the new minstrel changes isnt that bad, i just took EVERYTHING off my quickslots and rearranged as new in a manner that made sense to me for the new system.
    Mostly so far i just tend to mash all the same call to war skills like i always did, but also couple it with the minor ballad (that is the +dmg ballad) 3 times during the fight, and just do anthems as they become available with coda as a finisher if im not going to be going straight onto a new mob.

Rotation for solo battle in war speech so far is panning out to be along these lines but variable:

minor ballad
    timeless echoes of battle
    call of orome
    minor ballad
    call to second age
    minor ballad
    call to fate
    anthem (usually either war or free peoples depending on how its going so far)
    cry of valar
    cry of wizards
    piercing cry
    Heralds Hammer and Do anthems as needed when cooldown is up.
    Repeat as necessary and heal as necessary.
    If there's noone else to fight i'll finish with Coda of Fury...

Pre ROI i often used piercing near the opening so it'd be back again during the fight after cooldown for the damage...
    But now, I seem to have plenty of ways to dish damage (having Valar and Wizards on a non anthem rotation is great)
    so i tend to reserve piercing as an induction stopper whenever the enemy is starting to heal or something.

Now im not saying this above is perfect, on fact it's probably way way far from it. It's just how it seems to be panning out for me. And im still to feel like i have to get a real feel for the anthems, but so far for overland solo questing (and a couple skirmishes) where i am between level 65-67 this is just working a treat. Being able to pop in a heal when needed without worrying about dropping war speech with the tail effect is just way too awesome to speak of.

Realistically, it all seems to be going fine without stressing too much about what anthem affects what coda how and so on...

As yet ive not really used harmony stance, seems like id only use in it groups where im being a bit of a hybrid? Ie want to heal AND do a bit of damage...

I love this post so much that it saddened me when I saw it fall off the first page.

Cloudie-wan FTW!!!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000013ab3f/signature.png]Jimhess[/charsig]
    Freeps - Jimhess - Minstrel R8
    Creeps - Fallbakk - BA R8, Fallbakc - Warleader R6, Fallbak - Defiler R6

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast