We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hunter tanks

hunter tanks

i have always felt hunters are a bit like a tank of there own kind even thought they seem to be put down by most other clases especaily the classes that all call tanks.
    i mean we do extreme range have a huge kill rate and when played right doesnt take much damage the only non tank thing i se is the lack of taunts and heal. and i want to know if others feel the same

Re: hunter tanks

Your definition of tank seems very strange.

A hunter will die, be unable to DPS, and generally be a poor tank vs multiple trash mobs.

10 Trash mobs means no inductions, which means no attacks once your focus is gone, which means no threat which means the healer who is spamming heals like crazy to keep you alive is now getting agro and dieing.

A hunter can be a Single Target tank simply by virtue of the +Threat on their strength stance. They will still require lots of healing to keep them alive and can potentially be killed by damage spikes. The lack of %crit mitigation means they are vulnerable to this, but they will hold agro.

A hunter can range tank due to their long range and good range evade from high agility.

In short, it's not a great idea, and after update 2 where the +threat is getting removed, it's a bad idea.
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000e4a6e/01007/signature.png]Aegalir[/charsig]
    "Can't we all just get along?"
    [/center]

Hunters can be tanks in A) Situations where it was built to be tanked by a hunter (aka BG Twins) and
    B) Situations where the MTs are busy with a involved boss fight and the hunter has his own healer
    (aka durchest adds and such)
    C) small group instances like wargpens, SH, library/school
    Hunters can be alright tanks given if they don't wanna lose agro they wont and if they're built right they don't take huge amounts of damage.
    But with the update coming, it'll be a bit tougher to tank.

Like the others said, hunters make fine single target tanks. Many instances, though will require the tank to hold half a dozen or more, which is simply not doable by hunters.

Put my medium armor warden and a medium armor hunter against the same mob, and you will see a very big difference in the amount of damage taken. Not only will a warden add block, but can easily cap evade and parry to boot, not to mention higher armor, crit defense and morale pool.

So can a hunter be a tank? Situationally yes, but don't answer /lff for tank as a hunter for anything other than a 3-man, or you might get laughed at.

No question Guardians, Wardens, Champs make better tanks than hunters. But we may be fourth (I said "may" so don't get your panties bunched). I've tanked; tanked, not kited, many instance and raid bosses on my hunter. Its not just our ability to generate threat, but also are ability to gain very high levels of morale that can make us effective.

I'd still prefer a guard, wrdn or champ though.
    Phrasing! Doesn't anybody do phrasing anymore?

The only time I'd call a hunter a tank is if the other members in the group were all LM's, RK's and Minis.

Captain, Warden, Guardian, and Champs all are better at the job and as a hunter, I have no problem letting them do the job.

Hunters lack aoe too. As others have said, hunters are worthless tanks in multimob situations, but are plenty good enough as ST tanks(but so are most classes).

LOL hunter tanks. tank a 65 raid boss n say that. sure mobs easy mode even most elites but get in a raid other than raid strat hunter tank. as mention before and watch u get laughed right outta the raid.

Any class with a good healer can tank. Hell ive seen healers tank.

New Patch will make it very hard.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...r-Tanking-LTHM

Squishiness is slightly different between burglars and hunters, but I think this effectively illustrates the point.

The LT has been bear tanked. At least one kin bear tanks the BG fire twin as a farm. Healing is so strong that any class can tank. Hunters and Burgs are acceptable single target tanks. Hunters are the preferred ranged tank.

It can be done in certain circumstances.
    When questing, a hunter and a mini or RK makes a fantastic combination for just that purpose and can even do many small fellowship content with just 2.
    Mobs that couldnt be beaten with both attacking are often possible with the hunter tank/dps and the healer healing
    I think its just an example of using the strengths of each class to optimize effectiveness. There are likely other classes that can work the same way or even better.

If a hunter traits the right skill, ten mobs can be tanked without one induction being broken - if one goes into Needful Haste. With that Legendary legacy on a weapon (which increases the duration), a hunter can tank all kinds of stuff and not lose a stitch of DPS. Just have to prepare in advance if that is your role, and then have a good healer backing you up!
    Last edited by CharlesRollinsWare; Mar 10 2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: My lowsy spelling usual :)
    [COLOR=#3399ff]Luinmiriel [L100 Hunter], Marisibelle [L100 Burglar], Rosilyn [L100 Captain], Carafindriel [L100 Minstrel], Melissabelle [L85 Burglar], Vornmiriel [L81 Hunter], Lorindriel [L40 Warden], Katellin [L50 Beorning][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#ffff00][I]"One is truly rich who has friends."[/I][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#ffff00][I]A proud member of the first LOTRO Players' Council.[/I][/COLOR]

Again, like others said, hunters can take against a single target. Of course, there is then the issue that hunters aren't amazing at close range.

If you really want to tank with a hunter, you need some half-way decent close range weapons as well as a set of traits to help with morale and damage output. In theory you could do it, but there are much better tanks.

I disagree with comments that the patch will make it more difficult for a hunter to tank. Though I guess it depends on your traits and your target.

Assuming everyone is talking about range-tanking, I don't see a change. I've tanked the Watcher tentacles and the BG Shadow Twin in Huntsman... dozens of times. The patch won't change my ability to do so. Unless the other hunter with me, who is not tanking, insists on hitting the target right away with Burn Hot and HS in SS. It's happened... ./sigh
    Last edited by forethewyn; Mar 10 2011 at 02:50 PM.

True, but the +threat of traited strength stance really made it easymode. With the new update, you have to be the #1 DPSer, or have other people use their Aggro reducing skills. Currently, as long as you're even close to having top DPS, you're good.
    Harder ? Yes.
    Difficult? Probably not, it's all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by geoboy View Post
    True, but the +threat of traited strength stance really made it easymode. With the new update, you have to be the #1 DPSer, or have other people use their Aggro reducing skills. Currently, as long as you're even close to having top DPS, you're good.
    Harder ? Yes.
    Difficult? Probably not, it's all relative.
    I disagree, even with the loss of +threat, the remaining +threat from the stance itself is more than enough. Either way, with the new update there shouldn't be an excuse for hunters not to be #1 DPS, rofl..

Quote Originally Posted by slyfir20 View Post
    I disagree, even with the loss of +threat, the remaining +threat from the stance itself is more than enough. Either way, with the new update there shouldn't be an excuse for hunters not to be #1 DPS, rofl..
    But there is no +Threat, just +DPS. +Threat implies tactical threat. And I agree, hunters should be at the top after the update.

My rule of thumb is that if it can be tanked by an OP Guard or Fervour Champ then it can be Hunter tanked. Which limits the tankable bosses to... all of them.

It's more important to stack +incoming healing and mitigations than armor, which hunters can do as easily as any tanking class. Armor value doesn't make much difference when most of the bosses don't do Common Damage. It takes 5 armor per 1 acid/fire/frost/lightening/shadow mitigation rating. In other words, traiting Fidelity & Innocence= ~10,000 armor worth of melee shadow damage mitigation.

If they really wanted to stop Hunter tanking all they would have to do is have the bosses hit harder and greatly buff shields to the point that they're mandatory.
    "For them to perceive the advantage of defeating the enemy, they must also have their rewards." ~Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by geoboy View Post
    But there is no +Threat, just +DPS. +Threat implies tactical threat. And I agree, hunters should be at the top after the update.
    Strength Stance still has +15% threat, they only removed the +threat from the BM trait line, not from the stance.
    "For them to perceive the advantage of defeating the enemy, they must also have their rewards." ~Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Yosoff View Post
    Strength Stance still has +15% threat, they only removed the +threat from the BM trait line, not from the stance.
    I stand corrected. I thought they were taking it out altogether.

I have tanked my hunter many, many times and it worked really well. But of course that was a skirmish, and a 3 person. I have been like a back up tank, the main tank was like 4 lvl's below the level of the GB run. So I ran tank, it was fun with a hunter.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000172a05/signature.png]Amdur[/charsig]
    Can you tell I hate the farmer crafting profession?--^
    Wingol - Warden - Vilya - L32
    Gilhath - RNK - Vilya - L11
    Helglas - Captain - Vilya - L8

u r all comparing to other classes that no one despites are tanks i said we are a tank of our own kind and as far as the update i do agreee the update makes hunters a much diff class

Quote Originally Posted by drexele View Post
    u r all comparing to other classes that no one despites are tanks i said we are a tank of our own kind and as far as the update i do agreee the update makes hunters a much diff class
    Then perhaps I misunderstood your first post. It seemed to me you were positing that Hunters are as effective tanks as the traditional "tank" classes. Sure Hunters can tank. As someone who solos almost all the time, I tank nearly every mob I fight. As other posters have pointed out, Hunters can tank anything in the game. Does that mean I consider us "tanks"? Not at all.

To tank high-level content, a Hunter must be properly equipped and properly traited. You rarely get that in a PUG. I noted you posted a thread seeking advice for 40+ Hunters, so I assume your Hunter is around 40. In my experience, the desire to and efficacy of tanking post-40 greatly diminish.

While Hunters can tank given the proper circumstances, I'd never want a "Huntank" to be my group's first choice. Like someone else posted, if a Hunter were to respond to an LFF announcement seeking a tank, he/she would deservedly get laughed at.

Of course, "Huntanking" happens. The other night, I was leveling my newest Hunter and ended up knocking out several of the Fellowship quests in North Downs (Pulling Beards, Birds of a Feather, Mother of the Valley, etc.) with a three-man PUG: Hunter, Hunter, Burglar. We completed the quests and no one died, but none of us would have declared our lineup "ideal" (or even "preferred") over the traditional party make-up.

if we had more aoe bow skills and they weren't removing threat from stregth stance then we could but because we dont and were so squishy there wont ever be a hunter "tank"

Quote Originally Posted by Thorsock View Post
    As other posters have pointed out, Hunters can tank anything in the game.
    So, could a hunter tank The Lieutenant of Dol Guldur? That would be pretty awesome.

Most of the time I'm playing duo, with a hunter friend and me(RK) questing and such. And i agree, Hunters CAN tank. I also agree that hunters will never surpass guardians, wardens etc. as main tanks though. We recently went through fornost doing the quests from the ranger camp in there. Since everything was an elite, my friend had to tank and i had to stick to pure healing. There were a few times where i stole aggro, but for the most part, it was good. And, after about 10 deaths total(several due to my fault, his fault, and one glitch) we managed to duo all of the full fellowship quests that weren't part of the instance(even got some of the instance quests when a 65 friend joined us to help out).

If he was in Strength Stance with the +threat, he probably would've kept aggro more often. But since he ran out of power about once every 3 fights, i doubt we would ever have gotten through there if he were in strength stance. So yeah, hunters can definitely tank, and i think, with strength stance, a lore-master to keep the power up, and a healer to keep the morale up, a hunter can tank a ton of stuff, it would just be less efficient than having an actual tank do the same thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast