We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

X-Fi Titanium PCI-E -- BSODs (Page Fault)

UPDATE - SEP 16 2011: This issue is now RESOLVED!

It was a long road, but Creative has now released drivers specifically tailored to address this issue.

I was originally intending to provide direct download links to the new drivers. However, it occurs to me that this would bypass the license agreement, release notes, and cautions about using beta drivers in critical/production environments. So, instead, please download the drivers the standard way through Creative's Driver Download Page.

Beta driver 2_17_0008B was released publicly on 9/12/2011. It is intended for these PCI-E x-fi cards:
    • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty® Champion Series
    • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty® Professional Series
    • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Professional Audio
    • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

Beta driver 2_18_0015A was released publicly on 9/16/2011. It is intended for these PCI x-fi cards:
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty® Professional Series
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
    • Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

Please note that "Xtreme Audio" editions of the x-fi do not appear in the lists above. These new beta drivers are intended to fix (among other things) the LotRO BSOD issue on "full-fledged" x-fi cards. The "Xtreme Audio" editions of the x-fi series do not actually have x-fi chips on them and are actually either "rebadged" Audigy cards and/or offload audio processing to the CPU. The good news, however, is that Xtreme Audio cards do not seem to have been affected by the BSOD issues fixed in these new drivers. Which, incidentally, is one of the major reasons some folks all along have said that they have been running an "x-fi card" yet have not experienced this BSOD issue. All this is to say: There are various editions of the x-fi. Please only apply the drivers if they are intended for your particular edition of the card. Don't "force" anything. And if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

It is recommended that everyone uninstall prior Creative software and drivers (especially if they have trouble installing these or the BSOD issue persists after installation (which has so far not occurred in private/limited testing). When in doubt, follow this procedure:

• Please confirm that you have an x-fi card listed above.
    • Remove any "third party fixes" (like Rapture3D or the soft_oal.dll file several people tried).
    • Please remove all traces of Creative/x-fi software in "Uninstall a Program" (Windows 7 Control Panel).
    • Then uninstall the x-fi under Device Manager (check the box for deleting the driver from the computer as well).
    • (for the private testing there was a step here about running Creative's driver cleaner. But that's harder to access in this one that's packaged for the public. So skipping that since it probably won't be needed. Can elaborate further if it becomes necessary)
    • Once that process is complete, you're all "cleaned out" and ready for the new driver. Restart your computer (probably again). . . and install the driver normally.
    • Confirm that your x-fi now has driver date stamp later than 8/1/2011 in Device Manager.
    • Confirm that "x-fi" is selected as the sound device in-game.

And, last but not least, a huge thank you to "Johnny at Turbine" who deftly steered us to this happy conclusion. I'm not at liberty to give details. . . so let it suffice for me to merely state that if not for his initiative, patience, perseverance, and dedication, we wouldn't have this happy resolution to this issue. Thank you Johnny!

Best Regards,

Hurin

------------------------------=========== Original Post Follows ===========-------------------------

Hi All,

I don't want this thread to become another thread about the standard X-fi BSOD issue that references the ha20x2k.sys file. This problem appears to be different and perhaps a Vista-only issue.

Before I go looking into other sound cards (etc.), I'd just like to see if anyone else is getting this particular BSOD: "Page Fault in Non Paged Area." Vista's internal diagnostics indicate that this is most likely a problem with the sound card or its drivers. And this seems to be backed up by my own experience.

I see this BSOD most often while having iTunes running behind LotRO. If all I'm playing is LotRO, things tend to run fine. Further, I don't think I've ever seen this BSOD if I'm running with software sound.

System:

Vista 64-bit
    LotRO in DX10 mode and hardware sound
    Intel E8500 @ 3.8GHz w/ Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
    GTX 280 SLi (eVGA)
    4GB Mushkin 1600 DDR3 7-7-6-18-2T
    Asus Striker II Extreme
    300GB Velociraptor
    Creative X-fi Titanium PCI-E (Fatality version)
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W

I'm about ready to go try a sound card by Auzentech or Asus. I've tried all the drivers currently available on the creative site (including the beta one). So at this point, I just want to see if anyone else is having this issue as well. If not, I may start suspecting that my card is faulty and try replacing it with an identical one.

Thanks!

H
    Last edited by Hurin; Sep 16 2011 at 11:47 AM.

Re: X-Fi Titanium PCI-E -- BSODs (Page Fault)

Sounds like some sort of vm paging issue - definitely could be related to the music caching - especially if it mainly happens when using itunes in the background. Did you try checking the vista event log?
    [COLOR=Sienna][B]How to contact Support[/B][/COLOR] - Browse to [URL="http://support.turbine.com/"]http://support.turbine.com[/URL] - Click on the LOTRO Image - Select a department
    Support available Mon-Fri 12pm-9pm EST

[URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=18699"] How to get help on the Technical Support forums[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Altumus View Post
    Sounds like some sort of vm paging issue - definitely could be related to the music caching - especially if it mainly happens when using itunes in the background. Did you try checking the vista event log?
    Hi Altumus,

The event log does report the BSOD. Upon restart from the BSOD, sometimes Vista will prompt me to search online for the solution and the result is that the "sound hardware" is probably responsible. Sorry that I can't be more specific as I'm at work right now. If you'd like more specifics, let me know and I'll post them when I'm home.

As a diagnostic, I'm going to switch back to software sound for a few days and see if it goes away.

I'm relatively sure that this is a driver issue which Creative needs to fix. But I thought I'd ask if others are seeing the same thing in hopes of ruling out an individual bum card. Though, I guess it might be hard to replicate since iTunes, DX10, SLi, Vista, and so many other things could be contributing factors.

Quick update. I'll post more later after I sink my teeth into Moria for a bit.

* To rule out a "gummed up" system, I decided to spend a day wiping my hard drive and installing everything from scratch. . . as clean and pristine as possible. This had no effect and I still get the BSODs.

* Windows tells me that the "sound software" is the likely culprit. I took a screenshot that I will post later if necessary.

* I have now had the BSOD without any other programs (not even iTunes) running in the background. And, I've found that it happens most often while riding into West Bree from a swift travel. Though it can happen elsewhere.

Still looks like Creative drivers to me. And if there isn't an update that fixes them in the next few weeks, I'll post more details (driver versions, etc.) and system components to here and the Creative forums (and look for a bug report email address/form). But for the time being, I'm on software sound when I can't afford a crash (raiding). . . and that seems to work around the problem.

Best,

H

Double check the memory voltage setting in your BIOS. Mushkin tends to run at a slighly higher voltage than some motherboards normally default to.

Double check the memory voltage setting in your BIOS. Mushkin tends to run at a slighly higher voltage than some motherboards normally default to. See what Mushkin recommends it be set at.

Voltages are okay. This motherboard actually overvolts a bit too. But thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    Hi All,

I don't want this thread to become another thread about the standard X-fi BSOD issue that references the ha20x2k.sys file. This problem appears to be different and perhaps a Vista-only issue.

Before I go looking into other sound cards (etc.), I'd just like to see if anyone else is getting this particular BSOD: "Page Fault in Non Paged Area." Vista's internal diagnostics indicate that this is most likely a problem with the sound card or its drivers. And this seems to be backed up by my own experience.

I see this BSOD most often while having iTunes running behind LotRO. If all I'm playing is LotRO, things tend to run fine. Further, I don't think I've ever seen this BSOD if I'm running with software sound.

System:

Vista 64-bit
    LotRO in DX10 mode and hardware sound
    Intel E8500 @ 3.8GHz w/ Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
    GTX 280 SLi (eVGA)
    4GB Mushkin 1600 DDR3 7-7-6-18-2T
    Asus Striker II Extreme
    300GB Velociraptor
    Creative X-fi Titanium PCI-E (Fatality version)
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W

I'm about ready to go try a sound card by Auzentech or Asus. I've tried all the drivers currently available on the creative site (including the beta one). So at this point, I just want to see if anyone else is having this issue as well. If not, I may start suspecting that my card is faulty and try replacing it with an identical one.

Thanks!

H

I have the same problem with a X-fi xtremegamer fatality edition, the OS here is XP 64.

It happens consistently if I select the card itself in the game options. I use the program to analyze the crash dumps and is always the same ctaud2k.sys, which is creative audio driver. Interestingly, if I select in the game options generic hardware over the X-fi I get the famous ha20x2k.sys (with the error it generates to everyone else, instead of the page fault that the ctaud2k.sys generates) also consistently. And this happens no matter what drivers versions I use, no matter if they are old or the newest beta drivers, no matter either the directx version... nothing.

Yet if I set the audio in software mode (generic software over X-fi) in the game options, everything works.. also consistently, never get any error this way.

That proves that is creative drivers, don't blame the memory modules or your settings. Is the creative drivers NOT working... they aren't compatible at all with this game.

Unfortunately the problem was parked as far as I know and nothing is being fixed by any of the 2 sides. So if you want to play LOTRO trouble free, or you use software mode for audio or get another card.

BTW the same problems happened with the beta client, so isn't a problem related with the client or the installation. Just creative drivers not being compatible with LOTRO.
    Last edited by Elbereth_V; Nov 18 2008 at 06:13 PM.

I have the same problem, have the same card, OS, etc. Man I like my X-Fi =(
    "Blade with which I have lived, Blade with which I now die. Serve right and justice one last time. Seek one last heart of evil.
    Still one last life of pain. Cut well old friend, And then farewell."
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=black][URL="http://www.google.com/"](Escape the Forums/Lore ingame)[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE]

I've had the same problem, but only since the MoM update, with two BSODs so far in two days play. I've had none in months of play before the update with the same hardware and drivers (and none in any other games on the same machine).

I'm running Vista 64-bit.

Yep, I'd like to add that I've only had this problem since MoM came out. Before that, no BSODs. Same as above poster.
    "Blade with which I have lived, Blade with which I now die. Serve right and justice one last time. Seek one last heart of evil.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=black][URL="http://www.google.com/"](Escape the Forums/Lore ingame)[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Another two BSODs with this same error last night, so thats 4 in 3 evening's play, PC is absolutely stable otherwise so this definately seems to be LOTRO related rather than driver / hardware.

Since I did what OP did, and change to generic sound under audio options, no BSODs. Not a solution, but a workaround that works for me.

Chalk another one up for the BSOD's.

I was actually using a X-Fi XtremeMusic, though, and I've had random BSOD's prior to MoM as well.
    Since MoM was released, they've been much more frequent, unfortuntately.
    I thought it was related to the XtremeMusic in particular, since it's an aging (OOP?) card in the X-Fi series, so I went out and bought an XtremeGamer earlier today, to no avail - same issue.

It definitely doesn't ONLY happen when iTunes is running in the background, though, because there were quite a few times when it wasn't running at all and it would still BSOD.

I hope this helps in coming up with a solution, Turbine!

EDIT: Oh, and I'm running on Vista x64 as well.
    Last edited by Pwny; Nov 22 2008 at 03:42 AM.

I've got the exact same issue w/ an XtremeMusic on Vista 64, but I don't have to have anything running in the background. LOTRO just crashes randomly with

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

and when I come back, the Windows Error reporting says it's an issue w/ my sound hardware. I can try to send you guys my mini core dumps if it's helpful. No other program I have crashes in this fashion - not WoW, Sins of a Solar Empire, Neverwinter Nights 2, Crysis - nothing. Only LOTRO.
    [CENTER][B][COLOR=darkorchid]¤~[/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Kaiyadis Silverwind[/COLOR][COLOR=darkorchid]~¤[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#9932cc][COLOR=silver]A[/COLOR] [COLOR=lemonchiffon][B]Light[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=silver]from the[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=black][B]S[COLOR=black]h[/COLOR][COLOR=black]ad[/COLOR]ow[/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=seagreen][COLOR=#ffffff][COLOR=orange]65 Hunter[/COLOR], [/COLOR][B]Troll[/B][/COLOR][B][COLOR=silver]-[/COLOR][COLOR=red]Kicker[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000bd518/01008/signature.png]Kaiyadis[/charsig][/CENTER]

I thought I was the only one with this problem. It started when I got this card a few months ago.
    It would only crash maby a couple times a week. Lastnight it crashed 3 times within 8 hrs. I am also using Vista64. I have 4GB of memory and nothing running in the backround.

It seems to happen most when fast traveling to an area with alot of people like Bree west gate or that camp by the Moria gate but it happens just looking at my traits screen also.

So I think we can assume the following:

- This happens with any X-Fi card, PCI-Express or PCI
    - This seems to only be happening in 64-bit Windows

Personally, I'm running Windows Vista 64-bit with the latest Creative drivers for my PCI X-Fi eXtreme Music.

I get the BSOD from the Creative driver at least once a day. It almost always happens when I'm swift-traveling. I'll de-mount, the screen will freeze a second, then I'll get the BSOD.

It's so bad that I cringe every time I zone now, for fear I'll get the BSOD...

I don't know if this is Turbine's problem or Creative's problem but it's a showstopper for me. My fellowship is getting very annoyed waiting for me to reboot and re-log in, and it's even worse on nights where there is a server queue...

Personally, I'm running Windows Vista 64-bit with the latest Creative drivers for my PCI X-Fi eXtreme Music. I've got 4GB of RAM.

I get the BSOD from the Creative driver at least once a day. It almost always happens when I'm swift-traveling. I'll de-mount, the screen will freeze a second, then I'll get the BSOD.

I don't know if this is Turbine's problem or Creative's problem but it's a showstopper for me. My fellowship is getting very annoyed waiting for me to reboot and re-log in, and it's even worse on nights where there is a server queue...

Quote Originally Posted by Veneer View Post

Personally, I'm running Windows Vista 64-bit with the latest Creative drivers for my PCI X-Fi eXtreme Music.

Does switching to software sound (via the in-game audio options) not alleviate the issue for you? It does for me and most everyone else. Granted, it's a shame we have to do so as we then miss out on surround/3D sound. But it's better than ticking off your kin and fellowship-mates by crashing all the time.

Rather then crashing, I just turned off all combat sounds. I have not crashed once since doing so. I have considered getting a new motherboard with the x58 chipset intel recently released. As this problem is known to involve both the nvidia chipset and creative soundcards.

If I do, I will only be changing out the CPU, Motherboard, and Ram. I wish I didn't have to do this because of one game but, I am beginning to think that creative may never get around to fixing this problem. How long has it been now since they have known, and still no fix.

I think to fix them we all should find a card that we all know works well with Lotro and go buy it up and show creative what happens when you ignore a problem that affects so many.

For what it's worth, I've had these BSODs on both my old motherboard (Nvidia 680i) and new motherboard (Intel P45). I'm pretty sure, at least in my case, it's 100% dependent on the SoundBlaster X-Fi card and not the motherboard.

Hurin: Yes, I'll have to turn off OpenAL. It's just a major disappointment, especially with Moria -- this game is incredibly immersive and part of that, for me, was 5.1 surround sound with the sound processing that came with OpenAL. It'll have to do for now until Creative fixes this on their end (highly unlikely, given my experience with them) or Turbine finds a workaround on their end...

Quote Originally Posted by Kriona View Post
    Rather then crashing, I just turned off all combat sounds. I have not crashed once since doing so. I have considered getting a new motherboard with the x58 chipset intel recently released. As this problem is known to involve both the nvidia chipset and creative soundcards.

If I do, I will only be changing out the CPU, Motherboard, and Ram. I wish I didn't have to do this because of one game but, I am beginning to think that creative may never get around to fixing this problem. How long has it been now since they have known, and still no fix.

I think to fix them we all should find a card that we all know works well with Lotro and go buy it up and show creative what happens when you ignore a problem that affects so many.
    Kriona, is not the chipset I have here the X48 (mobo Intel DX48BT2) processor X9970, and as I commented before everything works in software mode, you just cannot select the card in hardware mode, thus you can be sure is a problem with the sound card drivers (also I have the program that analizes the crasp dumps here) and is always the same.

But as long as you select software mode will do, what I find strange is that a card that is so popular is not really suported in this game, and also the opposite that creative isn't bothering to fix their drivers to work with one of the most popular games out there.
    But no word from any of them as you see.
    [CENTER][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Silver][SIZE=3]T[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Silver][SIZE=3]he dwarves of yore made mighty spells[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Silver][SIZE=3]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Silver][SIZE=3]While hammers fell like ringing bells[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Silver][SIZE=3]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Silver][SIZE=3] In places deep where dark things sleep[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Silver][SIZE=3]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Silver][SIZE=3]In hollow halls beneath the fells. [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT] [/CENTER]

Just adding in that I have the same issue. It's gotten worse since MoM came out.

Vista 64
    4 gigs ram
    X-Fi Titanium

If I use Hardware, I get BSOD's a lot. Zoning is the worst.

Changed it to software and no crashes yet. I've tried the latest release drivers, and the latest beta drivers and neither help. Also updated openAL to no avail either.

I'll use the workaround (which isn't a great solution) until a fix comes out either from Creative (not holding my breath on that), or Turbine.
    [COLOR=Green][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000001000b/01006/signature.png]Shianriel[/charsig]
    [COLOR=Teal]Kinship [URL="http://lotro-exodus.guildlaunch.com"]Exodus[/URL] - Arkenstone Server[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

Still not safe to go back to X Fi hardware.

Well, I was going to say things have improved. Up until tonight, I've had several days play without a single crash, then tonight I've had 3 BSODs in the past 20 minutes and I've changed nothing, so whether it has got even worse with MoM Patch 1 or that is a coincidence I don't know.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast