Wir haben festgestellt, dass Euer Browser keine Cookies akzeptiert. Bitte erlaubt die Verwendung von Cookies in den Optionen Eures Browsers, um eine optimale Funktion dieser Webseite zu gewährleisten.
Ergebnis 1 bis 6 von 6

New Downloader at LOTRO.com

Apparently last week, (11 September, 2013) Turbine "brought back" "thehappycloud "as the downloader for the Mac Client. (And presumably the PC CLient as well, but I have not investigated.)

https://www.lotro.com/en/game/download

So far, I have only begun testing the "Play Instantly" On Mac option.

Thehappycloud Interface is much "cleaner" than the old PMB interface.... and one bonus -- it begins playing Chance's Riders of Rohan theme as the download begins! (Bummer, it simply loops the opening track. But that itself is a convenient way to determine that the download is still in progress.

Estimated download time on my 2meg DSL is 188 minutes (3.1 hours) MUCH faster than PMB, and I believe either equal to or faster than the Steam Download.

The Happy Cloud downloader is a 6.5Mb "pkg" download -- LOTRO_Mac_360.pkg.

Note that this downloader is different from the full Happy Cloud interface.

http://www.thehappycloud.com/how_it_works

There are 3 numbers posted next to the "download speedometer" ...
    Downloaded: xxx
    Minimum Buffer: 2983.8 MB
    Full Game: 17594.5 MB

One presumes (since I haven't gotten there yet) that the "Minimum Buffer" number represents how much of the Full Game needs to be downloaded before you can "play instantly."

More later...
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I must be missing something here. I follow your link to the download area and download the installer. I still end up with the PMB interface. Using that interface, it took my iMAC 12 hours to download the game. And my download speeds are in the range of 35 MGPS. Windows machine completed the download in less than an hour and a half.

Where do I find the LOTRO_mac_360.pkg you mentioned?

Want to install the game on my laptop also.

Thanks.

Zitat Zitat von Ray-of-C Beitrag anzeigen
    I must be missing something here. I follow your link to the download area and download the installer. I still end up with the PMB interface. Using that interface, it took my iMAC 12 hours to download the game. And my download speeds are in the range of 35 MGPS. Windows machine completed the download in less than an hour and a half.

Where do I find the LOTRO_mac_360.pkg you mentioned?
    The LOTRO_mac_360.pkg is the "PLAY INSTANTLY on Mac" option.

The PMB downloader is the "Mac Download" option... and yes, the PMB downloader will be INCREDIBLY slow for the Mac because of what PMB is and how it works.
    PMB is a torrent downloader and depends upon having hundreds of PC clients out there who are offering up parts of the download. There are very few Mac users, let alone those who allow the PMB client to keep running!

The Play Instantly option uses "Happy Cloud" which appears to be much faster, but since I only have a 2meg DSL line these days, I have no personal experience with it.
    Happy Cloud uses the Akamai ftp service. And it appeared to saturate my DSL link at 2Mb, so "theoretically," if you have a larger pipe it will download faster.

Similarly, using Steam will get you a fast download.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Unhappy

This is in response to Valamar's entry at lotro-wiki.com on 2 October 2013, titled ' Play Instantly option does not work '...

I just want to say, you may need to give the game more time to launch.

After I hit the minimum 2.1 GB of data buffer and decided to 'play instantly', it seemed as though the launcher was not working, as you describe.

However, after 5 minutes (an estimate based on my memory), the launcher seemed to re-awaken and I was able to login and launch the game. As I type this, I'm logged into my toon AND the installer continues to download in the background at a brisk pace. I will say that while the launcher is open, the installer seems to pause in the background and does not start downloading again until you're playing the game.

So, at least for me, the play instant function DOES work but requires some patience letting the launcher sort out whatever business it needs to, even if it appears to be nodding off.

EDIT: Either by the way of the Mac client itself or because I was going into the 'Bird & Baby' in Michel Delving, the client DID crash on me. This isn't anything new as it's been crashing on me every 10 - 15 minutes all day trying to play it. Incidentally, since I hadn't played in a year, I decided to try and re-download and re-install the game. So far, things aren't looking promising.

EDIT #2: I logged in again. The launcher did not take as long this time however. I was on the inside of 'Bird & Baby' and looked around a bit and left a minute later, only to crash again. I did this two more times and each time I entered or excited 'Bird & Baby', the client crashed immediately while loading the new area. So, apparently, switching instances like this doesn't allow you to 'play instantly' either.
    Geändert von zeroxes (30.11.2013 um 20:43 Uhr)

this is garbage, I attempted to install lotro through happy cloud and it only gives me the website pop-up in my browser, no download of LOTRO... 7 years of play and 48 kinship members ready to change games due to the failures of their developers to provide a download that works... I doubt you will see any new users as this happy cloud download is BROKEN!

Zitat Zitat von Thunderhorse Beitrag anzeigen
    this is garbage, I attempted to install lotro through happy cloud and it only gives me the website pop-up in my browser, no download of LOTRO... 7 years of play and 48 kinship members ready to change games due to the failures of their developers to provide a download that works... I doubt you will see any new users as this happy cloud download is BROKEN!
    All downloads were supposedly disabled in early March by Turbine following the PMB security breach.

New downloaders are scheduled to be available on the 14 April along with the release of Update 13.

That said, the Happy Cloud downloader does work. You cannot "play instantly," but have to wait for the entire download to complete.
    I have no idea what website pop-up you might be getting or how. The HC download from lotro.com downloads a "pkg" file which you then launch.

See: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_...d_Installation
    for details.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)