Wir haben festgestellt, dass Euer Browser keine Cookies akzeptiert. Bitte erlaubt die Verwendung von Cookies in den Optionen Eures Browsers, um eine optimale Funktion dieser Webseite zu gewährleisten.
Seite 2 von 3 ErsteErste 1 2 3 LetzteLetzte
Ergebnis 26 bis 50 von 55
    It looks like the server had a bout of the 'crashies' there while I was out of the house, so I wrote some new scripts to keep it propped up a bit better. Basically, the new scripts now automatically restart the application if the does not respond to HTTP requests for more than 60 seconds. This *should* work a little better than plain process monitoring.

Anyway, if the site dies, give it a couple minutes and it should come back auto-magically... well, unless something else goes wrong. :/

NOTE: If you feel like saying hello, inviting me to your party, cursing me out or just adding me to your friends list, I do make rounds on a few servers. There is a Rathinosk on Brandywine, Landroval, Laurelin and Meneldor. I also have Rathlaer and Rathlam on Landroval, plus all of the toons listed in my signature on Brandywine. (plus many, many more toons )

I don't get to Laurelin or Meneldor all that much these days, but I have been visiting Landroval more recently, so don't be surprised to catch me taking in a concert or attempting a bit of role-playing. (I'm a bit out of practice)

Cheers,
    Rath
    Rathinosk (Champion) • Rathlaer (Minstrel) • Rathdhae (Burglar) • Rathveleg (Warden)
    Rathgash (Stalker) • Rathlhingril (Weaver) • Rathurzu (Warleader)
    Officer of the Runic Knights, Transcriber for the Runic Knights Orchestra (RKO)

Just wanted to add my thanks for getting it back up and running. I'll look for you on Landroval but I mainly hail from Dwarrowdelf (yes, believe it or not, music exists on DD!) :P
    Belriel ~ Gladden Hunter
    Frie ~ Gladden Minstrel
    ============================== =
    "...you don't have to have blood-ties to get a family feeling about a person ...I have a belief
    that a man's real relatives are scattered throughout the universe, and seldom if ever belong
    to his immediate kin."...."Little Big Man"....Thomas Berger

FYI: The Firefern ABC Converter will be down tonight from around midnight (/servertime) until around 2:00am while I transfer the software to a better virtual host. It is still in-house, but the better server software may improve both stability and performance.

EDIT: The server is back up, a few minutes ahead of schedule even.
    Geändert von Rathinosk (11.08.2013 um 02:56 Uhr)
    Rathinosk (Champion) • Rathlaer (Minstrel) • Rathdhae (Burglar) • Rathveleg (Warden)

Ahh thank you Rathinosk!! Youre a star!!
    Achazia Songweaver
    Songwriter in The Shades. Listen to my music at Soundcloud and Radio Rivendell
    Contributor at Lotro Players
    The Shadows

I've not been able to access Firefern for a few hours now. Can you let me know it's up and working then I can check for problems on my side.
    Jobbing musician that resides in Bree. Frequenter of Taverns and places of ill repute

Zitat Zitat von Rathinosk Beitrag anzeigen

I would *love* to see a full workup of the supported ABC features, including system limitations.
    I would love to see this as well, but I don't really have the technical knowledge to make it happen. I wonder what it would take (a group effort perhaps) to assemble such a thing.
    [URL="https://sarahmccabemythopoet.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#b22222]Falling Toward Mythopoesis[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] My personal blog.

[URL="https://lotromusic.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#008080]LOTRO Music[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] ABCs, guides and resources for the compleat LOTRO musician.

Thanks for bringing this back, so glad someone cared enough to

I know youre just testing right now, and part of the testing is feedback - my feedback is pretty simple:

As the setup is at present, even on the new VH - I cant even get a track halfway edited before the server/application craps out and not only that its all too regular when its down for hours at a time, deeply irksome.

Considering how stable the 'original' was when Mirar had it, I cant help but wonder if it's because of the bells and whistles you added to the original package.

I cant speak for everyone, but if that is the cause - I am perfectly happy to use the app as it was before the addition of the previously mentioned bells and whistles, if it means it's going to be stable again.
    Geändert von Ingleton (12.08.2013 um 19:56 Uhr)

I can assure you that the system errors are not caused by the relatively minor additions I have made to the code so far. Those additions are almost entirely cosmetic and/or extremely minor in the grand scheme of things.

The bulk of my changes are fixing existing code problems with the source files as sent to me by Mirar/Firefern. I know he edited a number of features out of the system before he sent me the files, and I am certain this was a major source of current problems.

Here is a semi-technical breakdown of the issue:

The software has some major memory leaks, and it appears to be caching large amounts of data and never actually releases it. As such, the system rarely lasts more than 24 hours before it hangs the system with a massive page fault while trying to allocate more space for the cache. The likelihood of a crash is greatly increased when certain midi files are loaded, as it seems to chew up even more RAM when a given midi file has lots of tempo changes. I have a number of scripts that monitor the site, rebooting it when it appears to stop responding for more than 60 seconds; but if the converter kills the server outright, the scripts never get a chance to fire.

This type of of crash can be mitigated if you throw enough RAM at the problem. But I have already allocated 6 GB (yes, GB with a G) of memory to this relatively bare-bones BSD server, which is more than I need for my main *windows* server. If you guys want me to prop it up more, I'm going to need someone to to buy me a new server, as I have no more RAM to allocate and I can't afford a new server.

To make things even more complicated, the language this is written in has no debugger available and very limited internal debugging features. I have spent a lot of time breaking the code down into separate modules in an attempt to isolate the errors.

While I have your attention...

A bit of advice for (new) people uploading stuff to the site : the site accepts *MIDI* files ONLY.

It does NOT understand MP3, MOD, s3m, XM, IT, GPx, WAV files, MusicXML or ABC files - and changing the file extension to '.mid' does not turn them into MIDI files. The site also does not accept HTML error pages from music download sites or garbled files with a .mid file extension. These junk files all generate nasty errors and hasten the crash of the server.

Please... do not blindly upload a file you found somewhere on the Internet and expect the system to sort it out quickly - it won't, and may even crash the server. Please try to open the song with an application like Anvil Studio or Sekaiju before even considering uploading it to the converter.

Thank You,

Rath

Zitat Zitat von SajonOnion Beitrag anzeigen
    Unable to connect at all.

Been trying all day, even tried simple ping/pathping/tracert - it's as if the site isn't there.

C:\>tracert www.firefern.rklotro.com
    Unable to resolve target system name www.firefern.rklotro.com.

Tried flushdns, tried new dns server - nada

Im in the UK

*Sad Panda*

Edit: Used the playmo.tv dns servers as a temporary fix - it works now, but unless a fellow brit can confirm it works for him/her - it looks like UK DNS servers arent aware of your site
    Hey there,

I am in Australia and also have this problem. The page simply does not exist for me. Pity, cos I would really like to try this out.

Have fun

Zitat Zitat von Mysterixox Beitrag anzeigen
    Hey there,

I am in Australia and also have this problem. The page simply does not exist for me. Pity, cos I would really like to try this out.

Have fun

It was fine after my initial problems, even with my usual dns routing.

The server has been down for me also since a few hours before Rathinosk's last post in this thread - getting on for a full day now - Lord only knows why, he sure hasn't mentioned the reason for this latest downtime.

I cannot access it from my home network, or the 3g network on my cell, or even proxy servers/sites That's several seperate and independent networks, so it definitely is not not an end user configuration issue - it's something to do with how Rath has it setup - I'm guessing that he made a change that caused this problem, that now needs to be rolled back - but all I know for sure is that until this time yesterday it DID work fine. Now it doesn't - and it's nothing to do with you or I Mysterixox.

Even proxy surfing wont work - but at least I got an error code from the proxies to help narrow down the problem - HTTP Error 502 Bad gateway - a quick explanation of error 502 goes something like:

A server (not necessarily a Web server) is acting as a gateway or proxy to fulfil the request by the client (e.g. your Web browser) to access the requested URL. This server received an invalid response from an upstream server it accessed to fulfil the request.

This usually does not mean that the upstream server is down (no response to the gateway/proxy), but rather that the upstream server and the gateway/proxy do not agree on the protocol for exchanging data. Given that Internet protocols are quite clear, it often means that one or both machines have been incorrectly or incompletely programmed.

502 errors in the HTTP cycle

Any client (e.g. your Web browser) goes through the following cycle when it communicates with the Web server:

Obtain an IP address from the IP name of the site (the site URL without the leading 'http://'). This lookup (conversion of IP name to IP address) is provided by domain name servers (DNSs).
    Open an IP socket connection to that IP address.
    Write an HTTP data stream through that socket.
    Receive an HTTP data stream back from the Web server in response. This data stream contains status codes whose values are determined by the HTTP protocol. Parse this data stream for status codes and other useful information.

This error occurs in the final step above when the client receives an HTTP status code that it recognises as '502'.

This problem is due to poor IP communication between back-end computers, possibly including the Web server at the site you are trying to visit.

If you get this problem for only some of the Web sites you try to visit then it is likely to be a problem at those sites i.e. one of their pieces of equipment is failing/overloaded. Contact the people at those sites - ie Rathinosk :P
    Geändert von SajonOnion (13.08.2013 um 13:30 Uhr)

Ok, firstly, I'm sorry about the outage. TBH, I had no idea the server was completely down - everything appeared to be up and even my outside network monitors showed it as being up and serving web pages - or at least my test pages rendered properly.

Unfortunately, I misplaced a single curly brace when repairing a faulty section of original code and it caused the converter's web pages to not be rendered on networks outside of my own local network.

Once again, sorry.

Rath

No apology required Rathinosk, we mentioned a problem and you fixed it, in my book that's definitely no cause for you to be apologizing.

In fact I feel like I should be the one apologizing because I am not the worlds best at saying things in in the right way I freely admit that - in fact if I had a dollar for every time something I've said or written has come across in a way I didn't intend, I'd be laughing at Bill Gates right now.

In this case I was not having a dig, or complaining, instead I was trying to show I had run through the basic tasks to make sure it was definitely not my setup causing problems.

Thanx Rathinosk

I can get to the page now and it is all good I appreciate you looking into the problem.

Have fun

Hey Rathinosk,

Just wanted to come back and say that whatever you did a few days ago, seems to have fixed whatever issues the server was having (at least from my end) it has certainly done wonders for stability, I haven't had the server #### out on me for days now - even with huge 13 mins long tracks to convert (hehe) although the long ones do tend to make the hamsters work for a couple extra minutes - but even they didn't break it....(yet™)

Good work, I'm hugely grateful.

I love the site ever since I knew it existed.
    I can get onto it without a problem... but lately the conversion doesn't work anymore. I browse to my Midi... click the 'New Conversion from this Midi' and... connecting... connecting...
    Makes me sad panda.
    Other than that I think this is the best way to convert midi into Lotro ABC, other than doing everything manual of course.

Zitat Zitat von Muskaffa Beitrag anzeigen
    I love the site ever since I knew it existed.
    I can get onto it without a problem... but lately the conversion doesn't work anymore. I browse to my Midi... click the 'New Conversion from this Midi' and... connecting... connecting...
    Makes me sad panda.
    Other than that I think this is the best way to convert midi into Lotro ABC, other than doing everything manual of course.
    I'm not just the operator of the site, I'm also a user.

I can't say I've had any issues uploading new files to the site in recent days. My latest monitoring scripts keep the site much more resilient, but I know damaged midi files will still generate errors that crash/hang the site and cause short outages of 1-2 minutes. I know I've seen a lot of bad midi files listed in the logs lately, but I've been too busy IRL to check on the nature of the problem. I should, however, have time to check it out when I get home this evening.

I am working on building a better error handler to identify and kick out damaged and invalid MIDI files, but I may not have much time to work on it this week.

How goes the project Rath? I've noticed that it seems a lot stabler now.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000029110f/signature.png]Orladan[/charsig]

Yeah, sorry about the memory leak. I never had time to pin that one down...

/Mirar

Hiya Mirar! No need for the apology: I for one can really appreciate how difficult it is to track down memory leaks in a system like this.

I've actually set up a second server in-house to serve as a dedicated development system so that the main site won't go down if I make a breaking change. I will push out updates to the 'live server' once I'm satisfied that that it's not going to break anything.

Also, FYI: I'm starting a new job, so I'll be out of state Monday through Friday for at least the next four weeks. I'll only be home on weekends, so my updates to the system will probably be a little slow.

I would love to see a stand alone version of it. Its terrible for some of us when its offline.
    Even a stand alone graph display would be great as Ive come to count on it even when I use other trancribers

Fincin of Landroval
    Level 100 Minstrel
    *Les Beaux Chapeaux Bandmember,* Transciber, Officer
    Founder of the Hobbit Coalition for Giving us Bunny Cosmetic Pets
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Hugger of Bunnys

Domain name changed

Due to some domain shuffling, I had to move the Firefern ABC Converter to a different domain:

The NEW server address is http://firefern.rathinosk.com

There may be a few glitches as a result, but I am working it out.

So, will it be updated for the new sound patchs and instruments?
    Jobbing musician that resides in Bree. Frequenter of Taverns and places of ill repute

It would be really nice to take a peek into the sourcecode of Fireferns, maybe adding additional instruments isn't such a big deal.
    From my understanding the differences of the approach of Maestro and Fireferns in terms of dealing with the tones can't be very different.

But if it's written as messy as my own converter it'll probably be hell. Code wise Maestro is the cleanest thing we have - quite easy to understand and well organised.
    Bruzo, Dwarrowdelf Minstrel ~ "A Rock & a Hard Place"

Sadly I can't really get into my old song files nor can I even work on new songs due to some sort of time out or basically a message saying, "No data received. ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE"

It seems there is something disconnecting between the request to retrieve a file or to even edit one. Hopefully this gets worked out because as of now I can't really do anything.
    Tessariel Aerlinn of Landroval
    Elven Minstrel of Rivendell
    Member of Sons of Numenor

To put it simply, it appears something is very, very broken on the server hosting the software. Please be aware that this is not a "normal" web host, but a dedicated virtual server running a flavor of UNIX (BSD, not Linux) and custom web-server software written from scratch (not Apache, Tomcat or anything like that).

I will make an effort to fix it as time permits, but it may be inoperable for an extended period. I may have to make significant changes to the system, and I may need to wipe the data from the system.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Seite 2 von 3 ErsteErste 1 2 3 LetzteLetzte