Wir haben festgestellt, dass Euer Browser keine Cookies akzeptiert. Bitte erlaubt die Verwendung von Cookies in den Optionen Eures Browsers, um eine optimale Funktion dieser Webseite zu gewährleisten.
Ergebnis 1 bis 19 von 19

LMs and Skirms

I'm having great fun playing a slow levelling LM and am due to hit level 20 very soon.

With that in mind what would be the best soldier set up to compliment a LM that wants to solo skirmish?

Thanks in advance.

I like the Herbalist personally, but I play the "flank & tank" method, which involves me doing more damage and taking more in the process. If you're more of the CC/debuff type of LM, you're gonna want a damage soldier.

For that matter, at the lower levels where your damage is gonna be lower no matter what, you may want a damage pet no matter what direction you take. However, keep in mind that it just costs extra marks to make two soldiers, so you may want to plan out what soldier will be most effective all the way until and at the level cap.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

If you are purely looking at solo skirmishes, then a protector or banner-guard is probably going to be to most useful. Having said that, if you ever want to do group content, you'll usually be asked to dismiss a protector. Tanking soldiers will interfere with the player tanking, and can also trigger boss fights before the group is ready.

I personally prefer soldiers that dish out damage since they're at least some use in both solo and multiplayer skirmishes. The same is true for herbalists, but I'd suggest seeing if you need the healing before going down that path.

really depends on your play style with your LM. the possibilities are nearly endless (cc, damage, pet healer, just to name a few; or a bit of everything with no exact focus), and thats what you should consider when choosing your skirmsoldier. I don't know about endgame, but with my main LM I concentrate mostly on cc, so I fancy the champion-kind-of-soldier (dunno whats he called in the english client, sorry I'm german xD).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1e21d0000000238b3/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I am gonna throw in a couple extra pieces of info. Since it's based on what others have said, I didn't want to edit it into my previous post.

Please, never go Protector. I have heard of very few people who are completely satisfied with the Protector, and 90% of those people have never tried any other soldier. I initially used a Protector on both my Hunter and LM, hated it before I even decided to switch, and I'd never be able to go back now. Very frequently it'll either not grab aggro on the mobs beating on you (instead choosing to simply watch), or grab aggro when you're trying to take a break. The second one is also an issue in group skirms, when it can interfere with actual tanks doing their job in mob positioning.

Secondly, if choosing a DPS pet, I would encourage you to go with either the Archer or the Sage, unless you have zero intention of grouping. (If you plan on grouping I would of course go with my previous suggestion of Herbalist, but if you're set on a DPS pet, that's what this is about.) The Warrior seems to be the most popular DPS soldier, either because of the AoE or because it's the one that the tutorial starts you with, but in a grouping situation it can sometimes be a hazard. The Warrior, like the Protector, stands in front of your character. This can lead to mobs being pulled before they should be, which is an issue in group skirmishes (and can be in solo ones as well, as I mentioned earlier with the Protector). The Archer and Sage both stand behind your character instead of in front, which leads to less accidental pulling.

I have used a Bannerguard on both my hunter and LM as well, and while it did the job decently, it's not great. Its purpose seems to match a captain (jack of all trades, master of none) but due to the fact that it's a skirmish soldier, it tends to do each of those trades somewhat poorly. As opposed to actual playable classes that take on multiple roles (LM, captain, etc) with soldiers it seems to be better to have them focus on one major thing, such as CC, heals, or damage. Since their customization is so much lower than a playable character, dipping into one trade is going to take a very noticeable hit on any other trades it has.

Edit: While I don't intend for my post to sound like "Those other people are wrong" I'm worried it might come across like that anyway. I play the game a bit differently than a lot of other folks, and as you can tell from my signature, I consider myself an elitist. While I believe the recommendations I give are the best ones, they may not be for your playstyle, and God knows there are a ton of playstyles for classes like the LM.
    Geändert von TinDragon (29.07.2013 um 05:27 Uhr)

Crowd pulling can be an issue, as I always like to be in control of what happens and when, so a healing type of soldier seems to be the order of the day.

I'm assuming that once you choose your soldier they cannot be replaced by another if you want to use different tactics?

Thanks for the tips thus far!

Zitat Zitat von TinDragon Beitrag anzeigen
    I like the Herbalist personally, but I play the "flank & tank" method, which involves me doing more damage and taking more in the process. If you're more of the CC/debuff type of LM, you're gonna want a damage soldier.

For that matter, at the lower levels where your damage is gonna be lower no matter what, you may want a damage pet no matter what direction you take. However, keep in mind that it just costs extra marks to make two soldiers, so you may want to plan out what soldier will be most effective all the way until and at the level cap.
    Pretty much this. I tried a few others, but the Herbalist suits my play style best. I had the advantage of being at level cap when skirmishing was introduced, so DPS was never an issue for me. The Herbalist does seem to be more and more the better option as you level, but I am not best placed to judge the advantages of spending the extra marks to level a second soldier. -- If group skirmishes are an option, you'll want a Herbalist eventually in any event.

Other factors that influenced me: Soldiers always feel irritatingly random, and with A loremaster's typical control-freakery it drives me nuts. A herbalist is more passive and doesn't mess up my pulls. -- Admittedly they are just as stupid and will end up healing completely the wrong person unless given a nudge; but I can live with that.

Something that gets mentioned from time to time, but underestimated, is that a fully traited herbalist can make a pretty good heal tank if you need it.

EDIT: Just saw the post. As far as I know you could have one of each soldier type if you want, its just a matter of retraiting, and spending bucket loads of marks to get them.
    Geändert von Carolas (29.07.2013 um 07:23 Uhr)

I've always loved the Herbalist. When solo skirmishing, I trait red, then run in and blow everything up while the Herby watches my back. In group skirmishes, Herby compliments my support and healing role, helping to make up for that long cooldown on LM burst heal. Also, a lot of my good buddies are DPS classes, so while we don't need soldier damage, we do need a band-aid dispenser.

Zitat Zitat von Druzhina Beitrag anzeigen
    Crowd pulling can be an issue, as I always like to be in control of what happens and when, so a healing type of soldier seems to be the order of the day.

I'm assuming that once you choose your soldier they cannot be replaced by another if you want to use different tactics?

Thanks for the tips thus far!

You can switch your soldiers as often as you want at a skirmish captain. The challenge is that if you want to bounce back and forth, you will need to spend the marks to train each one you plan on using (well, you could fight with an under-ranked soldier but they would be less effective). Training is most expensive while leveling, which is why most players level with no more than one or two soldiers.

With a Lore-master, you at least have the option to switch pets for a change in tactics.

As for which soldier I use, I generally play with an archer for the extra damage.

As others have said, your choice may depend on how you plan to trait your lore-master. I have characters in all the classes, so I intentionally avoid the red line (I have plenty of other DPS classes). Therefore, the extra damage from the archer is more useful. I never thought of using an herbalist with a lore-master but I can see a red-line player using one.

If you are serious in using CC, avoid the sage and warrior. Area attacks don't mix well with CC.
    [I]Pineleaf Needles[/I],

Skirmisher Director for [URL="http://lotroplayers.mymiddleearth.com/"]LOTRO Players[/URL].

Remember to skirmish responsibly.

Zitat Zitat von RaleyD Beitrag anzeigen
    If you are serious in using CC, avoid the sage and warrior. Area attacks don't mix well with CC.
    Since I found a herbalist, all my toons use it. My hunter briefly had a bannerguard, but the herbie trumps them all for the following reasons:

- Healing
    - Will happily tank mobs just by healing, but doesn't move so doesn't need to be shepherded around
    - Heals herself, and with the right traits can be sturdy (my hunter is my main, and his super-herbie has 9k morale)
    - Doesn't do stupid AI things so is welcome in groups
    - Healing
    - Healing.

100s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Hrolfdan (MN), Aldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rumbold (BG): The little ones - Rumbelina (MN), Brai (RK)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), Snowbourn
    A Noob for All Seasons

Zitat Zitat von Aedfrith Beitrag anzeigen
    Since I found a herbalist, all my toons use it. My hunter briefly had a bannerguard, but the herbie trumps them all for the following reasons:

- Healing
    - Will happily tank mobs just by healing, but doesn't move so doesn't need to be shepherded around
    - Heals herself, and with the right traits can be sturdy (my hunter is my main, and his super-herbie has 9k morale)
    - Doesn't do stupid AI things so is welcome in groups
    - Healing
    - Healing.
    You forgot to mention the healing.

Gotta add my voice to the herbalist pushers. I've found it to be the most versatile soldier class for my LM - keeps me healed up when I'm traited red and go into solo skirms to blow things up, and works really well in groups to back me up on support stuff with extra heals and whatnot. It doesn't do damage (thus avoiding pulling mobs without my knowledge or consent), can heal tank when necessary and generally requires a minimum of oversight on my part (which is an especially good thing given I already have a pet to direct!). I've tried others but always came back to the herbalist.

Did I mention healing????
    LANDROVAL
    Andalraen - 100 Lore-master | Danella - Burglar | Gretal - Minstrel | Eilenel - Runekeeper | Faniriel - Captain
    Clarabow - Hunter | Hanafirwen - Warden | Eoswen - Champion | Chryssy - Guardian

I switch. Mostly I use a Sage (in solo you don't need healing and it helps me blows stuff up quicker, in raids it debuffs the generals and lieutenants with AoE % buffs), but occasionally I switch to Herbalist if we're doing something tough like Icy Crevasse.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

Zitat Zitat von BirdofHermes Beitrag anzeigen
    I switch. Mostly I use a Sage (in solo you don't need healing and it helps me blows stuff up quicker, in raids it debuffs the generals and lieutenants with AoE % buffs), but occasionally I switch to Herbalist if we're doing something tough like Icy Crevasse.
    i had a max traited sage for my warden and it wasnt impressive the debuffs arent a gamechanger and he had even with the best situations (many mobs grouped up) only 100-200dps (lvl85) and as far as i know the other soldiers arent much better (guard is #### didnt lvl a champ or hunter) a good traited herb can heal through several elite mobs (t2) hitting my lm so its the only soldier who really do his job well

I have only been doing skirmishes mostly solo to farm medallions, and a Warrior soldier has been working out for me ok. Hits hard, bodies drop faster = skirmish ends faster. I enjoy playing in support mode (aka non-MoNF, dps is not what interests me in this class), so this setup lets me do that and keeps me happy. My warrior is fully upgraded and is quite sturdy. I have never tried another skirm soldier, but reading other people's suggestions here makes me curious to experiment just for variety's sake. Though it does cost many marks to re-invest.
    Éala Éarendel engla beorhtast / ofer middangeard monnum sended / and sodfasta sunnan leoma, / tohrt ofer tunglas þu tida gehvane / of sylfum þe symle inlihtes.

The herbalist is working great guns! 500 morale regen every cycle so able to do tier 2 skirms fairly easy, not tried tier 3 yet but I don't see any difference. Don't even use any buffs either...

Zitat Zitat von TinDragon Beitrag anzeigen
    You forgot to mention the healing.
    ....and they are pretty good at Healing as well

Jumping on the Herbalist bandwagon

I used a protector to level with...until I died too many times during Attack at Dawn because he ran into the gates without me, aggro'd all the wargs present in less than 5 seconds then died. Then I died. Rinse and repeat.

Even my mini uses an herbalist now.

Pineleaf Needles has a great series of videos going on http://lotroplayers.mymiddleearth.com/ about the pros and cons of each type of solider and addresses the question of herbalist in end game and why would anyone ever play anything except an herbalist (he comes up with some valid reasons and circumstances). Highly recommend his work.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002bd6e9/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Bellcari (Minstrel) Belwynne (Lore Master) Beldwyl (Hunter) Landroval

Tindragon is right, My main is a loremaster and I have to admit the protector has been my only soldier, but he is terrible at protecting, normally in the skimrish he would just be standing there while I was fighting the monsters, just looking, like if he wanted me to die and this was all a trap hehe. I have not changed it because I guess I am good at "loremastering" and skirmish are not super hard and dont want to spend marks on training another, but if you are starting DO NOT GO WITH THE PROTECTOR. The Sage has been good on my guardian but I have never used the archer or herbalist so I cant say which soldier is the best.