Wir haben festgestellt, dass Euer Browser keine Cookies akzeptiert. Bitte erlaubt die Verwendung von Cookies in den Optionen Eures Browsers, um eine optimale Funktion dieser Webseite zu gewährleisten.
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 20

Why do i find elves so boring to roleplay?

Can someone tell me why i find them boring? I roleplay a female elf minstrel, it feels like i'm very limited in my characters personality as i've tried to develop her. It feels like i have to be ''the damsel in distress'' or just there to look at and not do very much. Elves are supposed to be calm, wise, so how am i supposed to develop stories if my character is completely boring? I've played a human and a hobbit, and i've found them much more interesting to roleplay. I've made them fiesty/charming, something completely opposite to what females are expected to be in middle-earth.

Re: Why do i find elves so boring to roleplay?

Elves are not always calm and wise, if you read all the Tolkien books (massive emphasises on the all) their personalities vary far more than the other races. Cheery and tipsy, strong and courageous, rash and unwise, noble and lordly, greedy and selfish...
    Given the rather turbulent history of the Elves you could also come up with a brilliant back story for her.

There's a lot you can do with an Elf!

No, I cannot tell you why you find them boring. I can tell you why you like your favourite colour, though, or why you like the kind of car you like, or why you like your favourite food, or... wait, no, I can't tell you those things either. I guess those are things that just are the way they are and you are just the way you are. Huh.
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/arkenstone/bobion/][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/08207000000021d81/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/url][URL="http://www.themeaningofhaste.net"]www.themeaningofhaste.net/[/URL]
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/arkenstone/lorthag/]Lorthag, R6 Uruk Warleader[/url] - The Meaning of Hate
    "The only thing our opponents can do that we care about is die." -- Graalx2

Read (re-read maybe) The Hobbit, the chapter in which they reach Rivendell. Try one of those Elves on for size, see if you like it. Cheers!

<yawn> What was that about Elves?

It all comes down to what type of RP you enjoy playing and what goals you set for your character.

I don't see why an elf would have to be in distress (and thereby a victim type of character). They're strong, they know their place in the world and their age will lend them a confidence and strong sense of self.

So, perhaps find out what goals your elf have. Why is she still on Middle Earth and didn't yet sail for the West? Does she want to right wrongs into rights? Does she feel she has a higher calling and duty to perform here? Is she staying behind because her beloveds won't leave? Does she have a vengeance she needs to fill before leaving? Was she sent on a task by her elders in order to achieve something she wants? Does she go against what her elders wants her to do? Did she have a dream/vision that told her to take a particular path?

Find out why she's still around, and that way you can turn the distress into action. A reason to be here, something she needs to do.

So elves might appear as wise and calm, but there's plenty of drama (the good sort) which can lie beneath that wisdom and calm.

Find the goal and her purpose, add her weaknesses and faults, find a few redeeming qualities and traits and it shouldn't be so hard to create a character that will act on her own and take you upon surprising story-lines.

I hope this helps you.

Cheers
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/20224000000210343/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Zitat Zitat von DarkBeauty. Beitrag anzeigen
    Can someone tell me why i find them boring? I roleplay a female elf minstrel, it feels like i'm very limited in my characters personality as i've tried to develop her. It feels like i have to be ''the damsel in distress'' or just there to look at and not do very much. Elves are supposed to be calm, wise, so how am i supposed to develop stories if my character is completely boring? I've played a human and a hobbit, and i've found them much more interesting to roleplay. I've made them fiesty/charming, something completely opposite to what females are expected to be in middle-earth.
    It seems to me that perhaps you don't really know much about Elves. Where does your knowledge of them and what is expected of them come from? The movies? Elf RPers in game? Both are very bad sources. Even The Hobbit and LOTR are bad sources for discerning what Elves are like. One must realize that the books The Hobbit and LOTR are not really about the Elves and therefore do not show their nature very well. We only catch glimpese of what the Elves are like from those books. And the movies botch them up spectacularly. Even the game doesn't really get the Elven nature.

The best, most accessible source for an accurate view of Elves is The Silmarillion, which is primarily about Elves and so shows them off better. Of course, The Sil can be a very hard read if you're not really into the world of Middle-earth. The prose is a bit thick for many people. I would suggest trying to read it if you haven't, and if you can't manage to get through it (as is common enough) then seek someone out in game who has read it and has a good working knowledge of all things Elven. Even better if they've read Tolkien's supplementary material found in the HOME series as many of the apocryphal writings give the clearest view of Elven nature.

Here's a hint: you don't have to be meek and tame and the "damsel in distress". There's a huge spectrum of personality to choose from which still sticks to the Elven spirit. If you'd like to talk about it more, feel free to PM me here or send me a tell on Landroval if you play on that server at all. I'm usually on my main character, Fionnuala.

Good luck and don't give up! Elves are amazing people.
    [URL="https://sarahmccabemythopoet.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#b22222]Falling Toward Mythopoesis[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] My personal blog.

[URL="https://lotromusic.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#008080]LOTRO Music[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] ABCs, guides and resources for the compleat LOTRO musician.

To add my two coppers to this discussion, I think it's important to carefully scrutinize your elves and make sure they really do make good fiction characters. For my part, I found when developing my two elves that in order to really bring them to life, I needed to be deliberate about developing their flaws. Weaknesses should be an integral part of any character, but when it comes to elves, it's harder to develop flawed personality aspects, because you can't use those simple old throwbacks of frailty humans are susceptible to. Elves can't be physically flawed, they can't ever be on the "bad" side or even questioning which side they should be on, and they can't ever be just plain stupid. So you have to go deeper to develop realistic weaknesses for real live elves.

My young elf, for example, struggles from an outward pride and indifference to the world that she has built up to hide a scared and uncertain inner self. She's struggling to figure out what her place in the world is. She loves middle-earth and wants to stay, but she has a hard time defining what should be her purpose for staying and helping in middle-earth. She has very little idea of the big-picture direction of her life, and she's afraid to admit it to anyone, including herself.

In my experience, the older the elf, the harder it is to craft a really believable character - but the more rewarding it can be. Old elves can't even use a lot of the deeper 'spiritual' flaws, because by that age it would seem that they would have had time to "figure it all out." For those new to elves, then, I would unquestioningly argue for a young elf - even a very young elf.

I don't roleplay but I thought that I might give you a different point of veiw. Elves live for centuries, millenia even. Every move they make could seem like one small move in a chess game lasting for centuries. They can be very strategic. Throughout Tolkien's works he shows elves to be fun loving, wise, utterly unwise, rash, methodical, warriors, fierce, loyal, judgemental, bold, territorial, relaxed, uptight, terrifying, and devoted. Your elf can be anything!

And if you need other ideas for elves I would turn you to Eldest by Christopher Poalini and a series starting with The Dwarves by Markus Heitz. While not Tolkien both the book in the Inheritance Cycle and the Dwarves series have a lot of elves and different personalities amongst them.

Just another point of view.
    Gladden
    Emynn ~ 85 Mini - Gwindalloth ~ 85 Hunter
    Tordyl ~ 54 Cappy - Lunyre ~ 68 LM

This is why I make hobbits whenever possible. An adventurous hobbit is an unnatural thing, different from the "normal" hobbits. They've already shed the stereotypes of their race, and thus can be easily explained into whatever type of character you like.

The elves have characteristics and personalities just like humans. They are just as varied. The thing is with most elves they will be more intense in their personality because they are a stronger spirit than humans. Damsel in distress would also not be very elvish as well as there was less difference in physical capability between male and female for elves than there is for humans. Most elven women are strong and independent, but that doesn't mean they are warrior princess types. They often turn their hands to arts and skills associated with giving life rather than taking life because it is viewed as higher calling. The female elf will often be strong but gentle. They are as free and respected as the males, but they aren't trying to be male like. They would embrace a strong femininity.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000025e7/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

If the extent of your view of Elves is "eye candy" or "damsel in distress," RPing an Elf is probably not your cup of miruvor. Why RP a character you're not interested in RPing? If you like Hobbits and Humans, stick with them. Ain't no law says you have take a whack at RPing all 4 races.

The problem with using the books as source material is that everyone is so dire and solemn, except for Hobbits (and Tom Bombadil).

Actually, no. There is a great deal of joy and cheer in the books. The first time we meet the Elves would be in the Hobbit as Thorin & Co. enter Rivendell to meet the Elves singing late into the night full of joy and mirth, as well as friendly teasing aimed at the dwarves.

In the movies, we don't see that. We see them walking around solemn and grim. That really is only a small part of the range of Elven emotions. Just look at Feanor. Arrogance, rage, ruthlessness.

Boring for RP might be a problem not with Elves, but will all who write struggle with. Characterization. As mentioned, dig into the psyche. Consider motivations, and backstory.

Actually, I prefer playing older Elves. For instance, one of my characters was an Exile, and my current Elf was born right before the War of Wrath. However, I have no problem working out flaws for both of them. For my older one, he served the House of Fëanor (specifically Tûr Maedhros) and took part in all three Kinslayings. He was proud and bitter, but still noble, unwilling to leave Middle Earth until Sauron Gorthaur and all his works had perished.

My current one, while not as obviously flawed as my other, is tired, but still joyful. He lived in Eregion before its fall and was one of the company who took Narya and Vilya to Gil-Galad in Lindon. After the great wars and destruction of the Second Age, instead of leaving and returning to Elvenhome, he stayed and decided to live in the moment, experiencing Middle Earth in all of its transient glory. However, he will leave after he has avenged the fall of Celebrimbor and the ravaging of Ost-in-Edhil.

Like others have said, there's plenty of material to make Elves extremely interesting characters. Just look in the Silmarilllion.
    Geändert von Cala_Romello (05.06.2013 um 16:15 Uhr) Grund: Seriously, Turbine? I can't use r@pe in its original context?

The Éored of the West-Mark ~ Lore-accurate Rohirric Kinship on Landroval

The first one is actually pretty close to the one I'm working on too. I just need a name.

But yes, I like the older elf as well. It will be a challenge, but more fun that way.

Zitat Zitat von Cala_Romello Beitrag anzeigen
    Actually, I prefer playing older Elves. For instance, one of my characters was an Exile, and my current Elf was born right before the War of Wrath. However, I have no problem working out flaws for both of them. For my older one, he served the House of Fëanor (specifically Tûr Maedhros) and took part in all three Kinslayings. He was proud and bitter, but still noble, unwilling to leave Middle Earth until Sauron Gorthaur and all his works had perished.
    All three? Good luck explaining why the Doom of the Noldor hadn't claimed him, then. But in any case that illustrates what's usually wrong with 'old' Elf RP, it tends to devolve into name-dropping and forgetting which Age it is.

My current one, while not as obviously flawed as my other, is tired, but still joyful. He lived in Eregion before its fall and was one of the company who took Narya and Vilya to Gil-Galad in Lindon. After the great wars and destruction of the Second Age, instead of leaving and returning to Elvenhome, he stayed and decided to live in the moment, experiencing Middle Earth in all of its transient glory. However, he will leave after he has avenged the fall of Celebrimbor and the ravaging of Ost-in-Edhil.
    Now that sounded promising up until we got to that same sort of weak motivation. Revenge for {insert ancient wrong here} gets tedious when it's so obviously futile - no Elf was ever going to bring down Sauron, and any Elf with half a brain would have realised that.

Like others have said, there's plenty of material to make Elves extremely interesting characters. Just look in the Silmarilllion.
    But always remember it's not the First (or Second) Age any more, if you do...

Well, there's a reason I quit playing my First Age Elf, and you nailed it: I realized the Doom should have fallen on him a long time ago.

As far as my new one, though, you're right; that is weak motivation. I think instead of revenge, he'll stay as long as he can to help heal and ameliorate the hurts wrought on Middle Earth. OOC, that gives me a reason to stay around until after the Fourth Age is well and truly begun.

The Éored of the West-Mark ~ Lore-accurate Rohirric Kinship on Landroval

Zitat Zitat von DarkBeauty. Beitrag anzeigen
    Expected by whom?

I really can't think of many damsels in distress in Tolkien. A lot of people have already chimed in with some of the things I am going to touch on as well here, but to start I want to ask you to look again at your assumptions. Where do those come from?

Galadriel was a fiesty young woman in the time of the Two Trees, and even nearly 9,000 years later, while certainly wiser, she is still nearly too proud to take the pardon offered by the Valar two ages ago. In Aman, she was noted not only for her beauty but as an athlete.

Luthien rescued Beren from the dungeons of Sauron, not the other way around.

Aredhel, sister of Turgon, was only abducted by Eol because she was unwilling to sit around in Gondolin doing nothing, and (unwisely, willfully, impetuously) insisted on riding out to find her old friends, the sons of Feanor.

Tolkien didn't write a lot of female characters but those he did write are often as heroic (and as flawed) as the men.

Alternatively, have you considered playing a male elf? Just a thought. It might shake you out of your preconceptions.

Zitat Zitat von StarryP Beitrag anzeigen
    It all comes down to what type of RP you enjoy playing and what goals you set for your character.

I don't see why an elf would have to be in distress (and thereby a victim type of character). They're strong, they know their place in the world and their age will lend them a confidence and strong sense of self.

So, perhaps find out what goals your elf have. Why is she still on Middle Earth and didn't yet sail for the West? Does she want to right wrongs into rights? Does she feel she has a higher calling and duty to perform here? Is she staying behind because her beloveds won't leave? Does she have a vengeance she needs to fill before leaving? Was she sent on a task by her elders in order to achieve something she wants? Does she go against what her elders wants her to do? Did she have a dream/vision that told her to take a particular path?

Find out why she's still around, and that way you can turn the distress into action. A reason to be here, something she needs to do.

So elves might appear as wise and calm, but there's plenty of drama (the good sort) which can lie beneath that wisdom and calm.

Find the goal and her purpose, add her weaknesses and faults, find a few redeeming qualities and traits and it shouldn't be so hard to create a character that will act on her own and take you upon surprising story-lines.

I hope this helps you.

Cheers
    I agree with you on try to get into your character's head and figure out why do they act how they act. It helps when your writing Fan fiction(s) or something like that, because your seeing the stuff happen from your character's perspective.

Well, I honestly think Elves to be fascinating. I used to own a Dwarf called Gharosi but deleted him when I thought I wouldn't have time to play LotRO and now I have returned made an Elf.

Elves are a big part of Middle-earth and yes, they don't hang out in pubs and get drunk like other races but they do other things.

And I have no idea why we are mentioning Elves from LotR cause we are not going to be able to play Luthien and Galadriel nor Arwen or Elrond or any of that lot.