We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Sapience is offline Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

Official thread: Conntectivity Issues

Updated: 1:22PM 8/5/2013

We no longer need new reports to help pin point the issue. Please read the following:

Since Saturday afternoon we have done a complete review of all of our internal systems from the networking hardware and connections all the way through the complete billing stack and game servers.

Once that process yielded no results and no issues we could address, we began taking requests for region, ISP, and traceroute data to help us pinpoint any possible geographic or internet routing similarities that would give an indication of the root cause of the issue. We have also been monitoring other services and working with third parties to further pinpoint the probable cause of these issues. Initial investigations pointed to causes outside our network and datacenter.

As we've worked through this process we have seen players report workarounds to the issues which have allowed others to connect consistently. These have included the use of alternate connection methods, such as VPN’s, tethered cellular, acquiring a new IP (internet protocol) address from your ISP, or using an alternate internet connection that does not happen to route through the same networks as your existing provider. This further confirmed our suspicions that the issues lay outside our direct control.

This morning we have received word that one of our affiliated connection providers is taking steps to re-route services around certain areas of the internet that are experiencing issues we believe are the root cause of the reported issues.

This work may take some time to propagate through the internet in general. If you are able to take advantage of the temporary workarounds detailed above, this may allow some of you to enter the game until such time as this rerouting and propagation completes.

We appreciate the efforts by those who discovered workarounds, other reports of similar issues elsewhere on the 'net, and all of you who submitted tickets detailing your issues and locations and other requested data.

We continue to investigate these issues as they are still impacting a portion of our player base. We ask that you do the following:

Submit a support ticket with all of the following information. (Submit ticket here:
    http://support.turbine.com/ics/support/ticketnewwizard.asp?style=clas sic&deptID=24001&)

• Your physical location
    • Your ISP
    • The name of the character and server you are tying to log in.
    • A trace route if possible to gls.lotro.com

Please only use this thread to discuss this issue as multiple threads have become unwieldy and useless to us in attempting further trouble shooting. Additional threads will be closed.
    Last edited by Sapience; Aug 05 2013 at 02:00 PM.

If I've already submitted a ticket, but did not include the ISP and tracert, should I update it with that info? I believe we get an email back that lets us do that, correct?
    Not all who wander are lost

Might be helpful for people to know which choices to make on some of the drop-down menus. Because we did the same thing night before last, I think these two choices are right: Support Team is Lotro Tech Support, and Request Type is Connectivity. Right?

How do I get the traceroute info out of the command prompt window and into the ticket?

As for the Europeans:

Is it ok for you when the ticket was sent out to the French or German support? Will you get the data, or is an additional new ticket to the US-support needed?

Hope you'll find a solution soon, good luck for the fixings!

Quote Originally Posted by OldLadyGamer View Post
    If I've already submitted a ticket, but did not include the ISP and tracert, should I update it with that info? I believe we get an email back that lets us do that, correct?
    From the support answer email:
    To update your ticket please reply to this Email. In your reply please do not update the default subject line.

-----

I think it's also really important we differenciate between the different "flavors" of issues people have:

1) The stuck at "installing Pre-Reqs" problem
    2) The "Searching for Logon Server ... (Attempt 20 of 20)" problem
    3) The "infinite loading screen after character select" problem

In case 3) for example a tracert to gls.lotro.com would achieve nothing since they don't have any problems with logging into their accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Taravith View Post

-----

I think it's also really important we differenciate between the different "flavors" of issues people have:

In case 3) for example a tracert to gls.lotro.com would achieve nothing since they don't have any problems with logging into their accounts.
    Same with #2 - as we can log into some game servers and not others.

-----

Hmmmm, there is a #4 as well; character loads but eventually is immobalized and loses connection to server a few minutes later.

Sapience, it would be helpful if you included the address to do a traceroute to in your original post. Most of us don't know it and I'm sure alot have no idea how to run one in the first place (ie: myself. Luckily for me my hubby does!)

My problem all day yesterday was loading screens - each one (including the first one after selecting you character and hitting Enter Game) only had about a 20% chance of succeeding, the rest would eventually time out and require a Task Manager kill of the process.

Today that seems to have gone away, I have not failed a load screen yet - but now any attempt to travel any kind of distance (especially I suspect crossing into a new area, eg when the "Now entering..." message comes up) the game will spontaneously freeze my character in place, with no solution other than waiting for the eventual connection to server lost message. This happens whether running, riding, or on a stable ride.

I will submit a ticket with the tracert, if that helps.

I posted a ticket but I don't know how do we run a trace. Do we need special software for it?
    Meneldor: Amatalas (85 Hunter), Matolo (85 Burglar), Matrem (81 Warden), Materin (65 Champ), Matoras (65 Minstrel), Matalorin (24 Guardian)

Well, was unable to log in completely (Trying to connect to Servers Issue). All of a sudden able to log in now though so curious is anything was tweaked. Hope the rest works!

Well, I had all three problems within the last 48 hours, plus No.4: Getting frozen ingame or while using doors, ports or instances. Since today I find myself stuck at No.2, so the other problems are obsolete, because I can't even get that far anymore.

Exclamation Unable to connect - in or out of game.

I too have this logging on problem, so I submitted a bug report, for which I received an automated email reply:
    "Thank you for contacting Turbine Technical Support.

This automated reply has been sent to confirm that we have received your support request and to also provide some relevant assistance based on the support request details you selected which may help you to resolve the issue you have encountered:

The game launcher is not connecting:
    Please review and attempt the steps outlined in the knowledge base article here.

Special Notes:
    - If you continue to encounter the issue reported after those steps please reply to this message to indicate that.
    - If you received this response in error or it is not relevant to the issue encountered please reply to this email indicating that as well.
    - When replying please do not modify or change the subject line of your reply message.
    - Please note that if you do not reply at all it is assumed that the issue was resolved and no further action will be taken.

Thank you,
    The Turbine Technical Support Team"

Interestingly enough, I did send a reply because after trying all the suggestions I still can't connect. This is the email that came back at me:

"*** ATTENTION ***

Your e-mail is being returned to you because there was a problem with its
    delivery. The reason your mail is being returned to you is listed in the
    section labeled: "----- The delivery status notification errors -----".

The line beginning with "Diagnostic-Code:" describes the specific reason
    your e-mail could not be delivered. The following lines contains the
    RFC822 header of the original email message.

Please direct further questions regarding this message to your e-mail
    administrator.

--AOL Postmaster

----- The delivery status notification errors -----

<accountsupport@turbine.com> : connect to a.mx.turbine.com[74.201.102.81]:25:
    Connection timed out"

Precious! It seems all the connections are timing out, and I'm, posting here so everyone knows my issue has NOT been resolved.

Now I'll try a phone call and see what the response to that is!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickysmom View Post
    Hmmmm, there is a #4 as well; character loads but eventually is immobalized and loses connection to server a few minutes later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrugghelm View Post
    but now any attempt to travel any kind of distance (especially I suspect crossing into a new area, eg when the "Now entering..." message comes up) the game will spontaneously freeze my character in place, with no solution other than waiting for the eventual connection to server lost message.
    As far as I can tell, this is the first symptom of 3) - subsequent login attemps with fail after the character select screen. But for some reason, not every time, and not for every player - not even for every character on a same account!

I submitted a ticket with a tracerout. Still stuck on "installing pre-reqs". I wonder if this is related to the game crashing on both of my accounts over the past 4 weeks especially on transition between doors/instances.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnescott View Post
    I posted a ticket but I don't know how do we run a trace. Do we need special software for it?
    go to your windows button on the bottom left and type the letters "cmd". A box will come up. Type the following exactly:

tracert gls.lotro.com

hit enter

the tracerout will start running. when it's finished right click and click "select all" and then open up a word or notepad document and "paste". Name it tracerout and attach it to your ticket.

Target Name: gls.lotro.com / IP: 74.201.102.12 / Date/Time: 05.08.2013 17:42:45 to 05.08.2013 17:46:49

Comment: 67.14.30.126 starts with up to 50% package-lost - slowly going down...
    It was like this before (could be seen in game) but not that much).

wbr

ps: posted it here because its only visible in the grafic

Okie..Lotro tweaked something...as one of the original 'crashees', I am now able to play....how well is yet to be seen...Thanx, Lotro! =)

As far as I can tell, this is the first symptom of 3) - subsequent login attemps with fail after the character select screen. But for some reason, not every time, and not for every player - not even for every character on a same account!
    Is this associated with the "Lost connection to server!" message? That's the issue I started having last night. The character will load initially, but if I try to port or swift travel I get super-long loading times that end with that message and having to force-quit the LotRO client. After that, the character won't load at all.

I've submitted a ticket and a dxdiag but haven't heard back yet from Customer Support.

I was suffering #3 all day yesterday; today seems to genuinely be better on that account, I can log right back into the character again after it times out and re-enter the world (which has allowed for limited, extremely frustrating, progress) and have not run into the infinite loading screen again.

However I agree that the problem seems to be further along than the login so if that is what that address was for we may need to look elsewhere. Of course if some people can't even log in then it makes sense to fix the earliest problem first.

Quote Originally Posted by Earenya View Post
    go to your windows button on the bottom left and type the letters "cmd". A box will come up. Type the following exactly:

tracert gls.lotro.com

hit enter

the tracerout will start running. when it's finished right click and click "select all" and then open up a word or notepad document and "paste". Name it tracerout and attach it to your ticket.
    Thank you Earenya
    Meneldor: Amatalas (85 Hunter), Matolo (85 Burglar), Matrem (81 Warden), Materin (65 Champ), Matoras (65 Minstrel), Matalorin (24 Guardian)

How many have the installing pre-reqs hang?

My ISP is comcast I cant even get to where i put in my login/password much less server or character select. I did manage to login just now but if I close the client it will go back to installing pre-reqs.

Whoa, me too! One of the original affected, now logging in on my primary server (Brandywine) as I haven't been able to do since Saturday! I think the crew figured it out, and are fixing it as people submit tickets. Nicely done, guys! *fingers crossed no issues once in*

after a day of trying to get in i uninstalled everything of lotr of my com an reinstalled it after 9 hours i can play again very strange but I CAN PLAY AGAIN

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast