We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Dwarves in Ered Nimrais (the White Mountains)?

Do you think it makes sence lore-wise to have Ered Nimrais as a nationality for the Dwarves in LotRO? I've searched far and wide for sources (i.e. stuff written by Tolkien) that confirms Dwarven activity in the south-west of the mountain chain, but haven't been able to find anything. Here's my theory: Dwarves are very secretive, so there could technically be a dwarven city there that even Tolkien was unaware of.

What do you think?

Re: Dwarves in Ered Nimrais (the White Mountains)?

Quote Originally Posted by Brynjolfr2 View Post
    Do you think it makes sence lore-wise to have Ered Nimrais as a nationality for the Dwarves in LotRO? I've searched far and wide for sources (i.e. stuff written by Tolkien) that confirms Dwarven activity in the south-west of the mountain chain, but haven't been able to find anything. Here's my theory: Dwarves are very secretive, so there could technically be a dwarven city there that even Tolkien was unaware of.

What do you think?
    ummm....he wrote the material, he would've known if he put dwarves there. Although Tolkien says dwarves had been in the White Mountains, by the time of The War of the Ring, there were not any major dwarven settlements. That being said, I have no probelms if Turbine puts a small outpost there, say the size of Gondamon or Othrikar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcrown View Post
    ummm....he wrote the material, he would've known if he put dwarves there.
    If one pretends that the stories of Arda aren't made up (i.e. actual history. Arda is supposed to be an ancient stage of our world after all), and that Tolkien just wrote down what he'd gathered on that time period, my theory makes sence.
    Last edited by Brynjolfr2; Jul 14 2011 at 09:36 AM.

Although Tolkien says dwarves had been in the White Mountains, by the time of The War of the Ring, there were not any major dwarven settlements.
    This is similar to the LOTRO Elf player character homeland of Edhellond, a place the Elves deserted over a thousand years ago (III 1981).

You might argue that, given the longevity of the Elves, those who were born in Edhellond may have migrated elsewhere. That's certainly true, but Elves who were born in Beleriand, which has been under the wave for over 6400 years, might also still be walking Middle-earth, e.g., Elrond. Should the Devs have listed Nargothrond, Gondolin, Doriath, etc. as possible homelands?
    Faërie is a perilous land, and in it are pitfalls for the unwary and dungeons for the overbold. – J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘On Fairy-Stories’.

They certainly could have if they had the license for it.

They certainly could have if they had the license for it.
    Why wouldn't they have the license for those names? They all appear in The Lord of the Rings.

For example, Elrond names two of them while providing his lineage during the Council of Elrond:

'But my memory reaches back to the Elder Days. Eärendil was my sire, who was born in Gondolin before its fall; and my mother was Elwing, daughter of Dior, son of Lúthien of Doriath.

And Gimli mentions two of them in his poem he chants in Moria:

The world was fair, the mountains tall,
    In Elder Days before the fall
    Of mighty kings in Nargothrond
    And Gondolin, who now beyond
    The Western Seas have passed away:
    The world was fair in Durin's Day.
    Faërie is a perilous land, and in it are pitfalls for the unwary and dungeons for the overbold. – J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘On Fairy-Stories’.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbadgerbrock View Post
    Should the Devs have listed Nargothrond, Gondolin, Doriath, etc. as possible homelands?
    Player-character Elves aren't 'officially' supposed to be Noldor or Sindar, nor as old as that.

Bear in mind that, just as the only Elves really spoken of are Eldar, not Avari, Tolkien didn't really talk about other dwarves than those of the Longbeards (only exception is in Sil, with Nogrod and Belegost). No reason that their couldn't have been other clans settled into the White Mountains.
    Various Hobbits, Thwilda the dwarf lass, and Gnersk, Stalker

Why wouldn't they have the license for those names? They all appear in The Lord of the Rings.

For example, Elrond names two of them while providing his lineage during the Council of Elrond:

And Gimli mentions two of them in his poem he chants in Moria:
    I had forgotten those instances...mea culpa.

Quote Originally Posted by Siegfriedpf View Post
    Bear in mind that, just as the only Elves really spoken of are Eldar, not Avari, Tolkien didn't really talk about other dwarves than those of the Longbeards (only exception is in Sil, with Nogrod and Belegost). No reason that their couldn't have been other clans settled into the White Mountains.
    The other clans were supposed to be off in the East somewhere, which is reason enough.

It is mentioned somewhere (forgive me I cannot remember exactly where) that Durin's folk inhabited the White Mtns for awhile AND is very probable that the refugees from Belegost and Nogrod settled there as well. The only thing I wouldn't want to see is a major Dwarven city there, outpost sure, city no.

It is mentioned somewhere (forgive me I cannot remember exactly where) that Durin's folk inhabited the White Mtns for awhile AND is very probable that the refugees from Belegost and Nogrod settled there as well. The only thing I wouldn't want to see is a major Dwarven city there, outpost sure, city no.
    You are thinking of the Grey Mountains. The White Mountains had no mention of dwarves before War of the Ring. After War of the Ring, there we dwarves. Brought by Gimli, as he promised in the books. There, they colonized successfully and forged the new gate of Minas Tirith out of Steel and Mithril.
    Drobur Graventongue, Caravan-Master of the Mîmshol Trading Company

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Player-character Elves aren't 'officially' supposed to be Noldor or Sindar, nor as old as that.
    Edhellond was founded by the Sindar, and Lindon was mostly populated with Noldor and Sindar, yet those are LOTRO Elven homelands. And there were Green-elves, i.e., non-Sindar clans of Teleri, who populated Beleriand and Ossiriand.

Edhellond was founded by the Sindar, and Lindon was mostly populated with Noldor and Sindar, yet those are LOTRO Elven homelands. And there were Green-elves, i.e., non-Sindar clans of Teleri, who populated Beleriand and Ossiriand.
    Better tell Turbine that, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Better tell Turbine that, then.
    I'm sure they already know.

The homeland of one's character only effects the choices of skin tone, eye and hair color, so it's not really a big deal whether people with Elf player characters consider them Noldor, Sindar, Nandor, or Sylvan Elves. Heck, there are people who role-play their Elf player characters as Maiar!

Ch. 8 "Further Secrets" from the epic questline in Enedwaith hints at a dwarf hold in the White Mountains (Turbine Invention). Two names are given, Zigil jabâl and Kechel. And there are "Forbidden Halls" where dwarves were lost. So there is already something to look forward to